snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » 666-6666 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 666-6666
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight Highjack--

When I was a kid in Pomona, CA. across from my doctor's office there was a lawyer's office building with the address 666.

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Home California:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I've heard from several people that if you call the number
"666-6666" on Halloween you get a special creepy recorded message. I've
never actually had the nerve to try it myself, and I'm wondering if it's
true.

I'm the type of person who would try that, just out of curiosity. And I think I will. [Eek!]
As will I! [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About 18 years ago I read in a cheap tabloid--I think it was Weekly World News--about a family that had "666" for the last three numbers of their telephone number. I think the 666 followed a 0 but I'm not sure. Well, anyway, this article said that some people would call them up and threaten them just for having the "mark of the beast" or the "devil's number" for their personal phone number!

Whew!

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One high-school friend's phone number ended with "3666", which spells "DOOM" on the keypad. This was, at that time, quite funny....

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly off topic, be we have a Yeshiva school in our area whose address starts with 666. When it was being built I remember that the school petitioned the town to have the address 668 or 665, but for some reason the town council wouldn't allow it.
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ericsmom:
Slightly off topic, be we have a Yeshiva school in our area whose address starts with 666. When it was being built I remember that the school petitioned the town to have the address 668 or 665, but for some reason the town council wouldn't allow it.

The interesting thing about that is that the whole 666 thing is, IIRC, mentioned only in the New Testament. So their concern, presumably, was how non-Jews might view/use the address, perhaps for anti-Semitic reasons.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

The interesting thing about that is that the whole 666 thing is, IIRC, mentioned only in the New Testament. So their concern, presumably, was how non-Jews might view/use the address, perhaps for anti-Semitic reasons.
yes, I belive this is exactly why they wanted the number changed to something else. I also think that they were afraid of pranksters,vandals, etc. It's funny though, to drive past this beautiful school and see "666" in huge black numbers on it
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here to report that in my area code (425) there is NO SUCH NUMBER as 666-6666.

Ironically though, Jenny's number is a Pizza Hut. [Smile]

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, when I had just started in customer service, I had a customer call to stop his paper because his account number had 666 in it. That wasn't the whole number; but that was there, and that was enough.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito

Icon 02 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
One high-school friend's phone number ended with "3666", which spells "DOOM" on the keypad. This was, at that time, quite funny....

I had a friend who's phone number ended with 4355 which spells "hell". It was the only way I could remember her number.

mystic burrito

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
666 is also an exchange in northern NJ.

Westwood, right?
I think so. if not, it's a town in that area. I moved out of Bergen County several years ago, though, so I'm not sure off the top of my head.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rsamboragal:
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Home California:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I've heard from several people that if you call the number
"666-6666" on Halloween you get a special creepy recorded message. I've
never actually had the nerve to try it myself, and I'm wondering if it's
true.

I'm the type of person who would try that, just out of curiosity. And I think I will. [Eek!]
As will I! [Big Grin]
Here to report my results: I dialed the number, and received the "number not available" message. Oh well.

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
666 is also an exchange in northern NJ.

Westwood, right?
I think so. if not, it's a town in that area. I moved out of Bergen County several years ago, though, so I'm not sure off the top of my head.
Having lived in the nearby town of Park Ridge and the surrounding area for over 30 years, I can say with certainty that 666 (and 664) are indeed the traditional exchanges (NPA) for the neighboring towns of Westwood, Washington Township and Hillsdale (and some River Vale numbers too, I think...). We used to call 201 666-0666 and 201 666-6666 and ask for the devil, back in the Satan-obsessed 1980's. There was also a rumor that one of those numbers went to a church (not true). Verizon reverse lookup shows that -6666 is a residential customer in Washington Township, and -0666 is an active Westwood residence with an unpublished name.

I also recall a news story about the following:
quote:
Telephone companies have met a wall of customer opposition when they tried to install a 666 exchange. One example was in Vancleve, KY, the home of Kentucky Mountain Bible College. They were assigned a phone number in mid 2002 with a "666" prefix. Staff member Carlene Light said: "People say, 'You're a Bible college and you have 666 in your phone number?' It's the connotation. No one wants to be part of the mark of the beast." Vice president Rob Roy MacGregor said: "In the secular world, 666 is not a problem. It is for us."
666 stories Not passing judgment on this site, but it has more stories, some possibly URL's about 666 appearing in phone numbers, dates, highway #'s, etc.
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages