snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Horrors » Blood for Odin!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood for Odin!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I recieved the following and wonder if it likely really happened.
Thanks.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

{If you don't already know SCA is the Society for Creative Anachronism -
medieval reenactment}

One of my friends lives in NYC and participates in the SCA. He's
stereotypical Viking, 6'7" tall, LONG blonde hair, about 350 - 400 lbs of
solid muscle, and looks every bit of it. Well, he was going to a meet in
full getup with long cloak and battle axe and sitting on the subway...
hunched over leaning on the axe with the cloak pulled over it so he
wouldn't scare anybody.

Lo and behold some little punk comes up... MAYBE 5'2", 120 lbs soaking
wet, and brandishes a knife saying "GIMME YOUR MONEY!" Naturally the guy
sits there, somewhat befuddled at the balls of this punk.

"GIMME YOUR *bleepin* MONEY OR ELSE!" and the guy stands up... and up...
and UP. Raising the battle axe over his head, screaming at the top of his
lungs "BLOOD FOR ODIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

At this point, the fellow passengers learn the true sound of terror.
Not a scream, no curses, just a simple little "urk" as the guy leaves a
wet spot as he's bolting for anywhere but there.

A couple weeks later our friend is at a club in the men's room, doing what
all guys do when they've had a bit of ale, and looks over and at the next
stall is that SAME PUNK!

Up for a bit of a laugh, the guy leans over, and quietly whispers in the
dude's ear "Blood for Odin!"

The cops catch up with him a couple blocks away.. screaming bloody murder,
running like the hounds of hell are after him, with his pants around his
ankles.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard a basic version of this story several times before, but the bit in the club is a new addition for me and there's a bit more detail about the attempted hold-up than I've heard. The problem is that without a name (SCA or modern) there's no way to really verify an of it.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Rialto (an old old SCA posting board that has been absorbed by Google groups) there are mentions of this story from 1991. blood for odin
They were calling the story "old" "apocryphal" and a "UL" even then.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. That story's popular even in the SCAs multiple Euro-branches. I think I heard it about a dozen times within my first few months with 'em.
And it was passed around as either "popular story but probably never happened" or, and this is a far more likely occurence in the SCA,with a preface of "No sh*t, there I was..." modified by "Okay, so it happened to my house brother's squire's garb maker's consort's friend..."

Yep, pseudomedieval Urban Legend gets my vote.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in the SCA back in the early 80s (*pause to allow the brief dizzyness brought on by realizing that was over twenty years ago to pass*) I heard a similar story.

The story was set in the early 1970s in California at one of the very first SCA events. A group of bikers (Hell's Angels types) decided to mess with the wierdos in strange clothing and approached the fine folk. The Scadians circled, a la wagons vs. Native IndioAmericans, as the bad guys approached. As they drew near, pocket knives and switchblades ready, they realized they faced folks armed with sabres, swords, axes and epees. At which point, their leader supposedly said, "So sorry to bother you.", as they retreated.

And yes, it was told as a "No sh**, there I was!" story.

Mournful
wasn't there, but did see a drunk flasher approach a weapon wearing SCA female... he didn't really have much to flash as he was running away.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
On the Rialto (an old old SCA posting board that has been absorbed by Google groups) there are mentions of this story from 1991. blood for odin
They were calling the story "old" "apocryphal" and a "UL" even then.

Heh, I didn't even think about checking for Railto posts. [Smile] Can I claim post-event lethargy to make up for being a bad snopester?

Mournful, I've heard that story as well, although it usually gets all the UL trappings of knowing some's best friend's knight whose old consoirt knew someone who was there.

Noemi "and how many of us are in the SCA anyway?"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The SCA the weekend are having a gathering here in Bellingham just down the road from me again. I'm sure a few of my friends are there. I know there are several stories about SCA members and groups causing touble for the normal population. Maybe I should go down and get a list.

I have heard a few other instresting stories from the SCA. I do not remember the detail and being the friend of a friend type story did I saw no reason to remember details. One has to do with some officers that were SCA members practacing with weapons and shield on the back of a aircraft carrier while a Russian sub was watching. The informations went up the Russian chain of command and then back down the US chain to the ships commander. The second one that comes to mind is the SCA with police in riot control games. The SCA was doing better than the police until the police pulled out guns to stop the riot.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this story while I was living in Philly, only there it was

"A friend of mine on the subway dressed for halloween in a shirt of maille and sword and cloak. He was leaning on the cloak so you couldn't see the sword and some punk swaggered up to him with a knife and says "I got six inches of steel right here that says you'll give me all your money" and my friend stood up with the sword and said "I'll see your six and raise you 32" "

or something to that effect. Nothing about meeting up with the punk afterwards though. Wasn't SCA, was told in the goth nightclub scene. (though the person who told it to me might have been an SCA member, I don't recall)

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katywren
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katywren     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Medieval Waffles
Posts: 65 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katywren
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katywren     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THAT'S a full different SCA Urban Legend... or actually, it may be just a legend...

The song that has that line is about Sir Trude Lacklandia, who was the first female knight in the SCA. That much is true and verifiable. The rest of the song claims that it was she who was on a New York City subway train dressed for a revel. She meets up with a ruffian with a knife who tries to mug her. She refuses, he attacks her with the knife, the chain shirt she's wearing takes the blow, and she draws on him, with the line of "I'll see your six and raise you 34."

Whether or not the story is true, I have no idea. But, a friend of mine is squired to her (student to her), and when he's done moving, I can certainly ask him what she has to say about it.

Katywren

Posts: 65 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mournful, I heard the same story several years ago at an SCA event. It had added to it a scenario where the police show up, tell the crazy sword wielders to drop their weapons, only to find themselves joining the SCA folks against the bikers. Or something to that effect. The lady who told me the story was also telling it in a first person angle. No sh*t, there she was, indeed.

[hijack]
Singing in the Drizzle - Heh, my last event in Bellingham was so rainy, several places were ankle deep in water (glad I go barefoot). There was a wedding being held during the event, so they hired some guys to guard merchants row, and since we were one of the few merchants to have heat (a nice cauldron-shaped hibachi) they hung out near our place. That worked out nicely for us. [Big Grin] Anyway, my lasting impression of Bellingham is lots and lots of rain. Could've been worse, I'm used to the wet, and at least it was warm rain. [/hijack]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many variants of these stories floating around the SCA that you need a scorecard to keep track of them all. [Smile]
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, wait, I remember what the story was that I heard. It wasn't bikers the SCAers were up against, it was Christians! That's why the police were against the SCA folks. They showed up saw men in business suits against people in medieval garb and figured it was the ones with swords that were causing the trouble. Right up until the Christians started lobbing things at the SCAers (and the police who were trying to talk to them), that is, and the police discovered that shields really do protect you against some projectiles.

It still took place in California in the '70s, so it probably started as the same story. It's fun to see how they change over time.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few of them can be found here, here, and here.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those posts in Cactus Candy's links sure bring back memories.

Well, I think they're memories, or they could just be urban legends [Razz]

Mournful
My first Pennsic was Pennsic X.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerald
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald   E-mail Gerald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It even was on this forum last year:
forum archives.

Posts: 14 | From: France | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine who's in the BDSM scene said that Straight Edge (pCms with a violent streak) tried to crash a party in San Francisco, and he and several others went to meet them at the door with swords and other weapons visible and the Straight Edge guys backed down.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages