snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » How to kill a wolf

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to kill a wolf
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Our pastor used the following story as a sermon illustration:

Story: How to Kill a Wolf - (Eskimo Style)

Up in the arctic circle there is tribe of Eskimo's who have learned to set
a very simple yet effective trap for wolves. First they sharpen a knife
razor sharp. Then they dip it in the blood of a seal they have killed.
(you see seals are fairly easy to trap but wolves are very dangerous).
After dipping the knife in blood they set it outside in the cold so the
blood freezes on the knife. After if freezes (a matter of minutes) they
dip it again into the seal blood and again take it out an let the blood
freeze. Layer after layer they make a blood popsicle. When they are done,
the knife's blade is hidden inside just like a popsicle stick. Now they
take the knife out into the wilderness where they think a wolf might be.
There the bury the handle of the knife in the snow leaving the blood
popsicle standing up and they leave.

Now after a while a wolf will come along guided by his sense of smell and
find the "bloodsicle". He will being licking it, enjoying every taste.
Over and over he licks the knife and soon his tongue is so cold he cannot
feel it any longer. It's numb. But his taste for blood is growing and he
is not getting as much as he wants - you see, popsicles are slow eating.
Finally his licking exposes the razor sharp edge of the knife. It cuts
into his tongue again and again but he does not even notice for his tongue
can no longer feel anything. The wolfs own blood now flows from his cut
tongue. The wolf is thrilled, blood is now more plentiful and he continues
to lick more and more.

Soon he notices something is wrong, he is getting weaker not stronger.
Since he knows blood as food he increases his efforts to feed on the ever
increasing flow of blood. His last thoughts are of how good the now warm
blood tastes. Within minutes he licks his last and collapse next to the
now fully exposed knife. Here the Eskimo knows he will find the wolfs
body the next morning.

We've heard this story several times in the last few years. We were
wondering if it is true or just an urban legend tossed about the
conservative Christian community.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine any wild animal being satisfied with licking up blood. Surely it would try and bite the frozen blood which would have the appearnce of meat.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something just tells me that wolves are smarter than that.

Or it's just wishful thinking.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing that pops into my mind is what kind of pastor uses a story like this in a sermon? Does the wolf represent the unrepentant sinner? [Eek!]

Second...why are eskimos hunting wolves? Don't carnivores typically taste bad?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read of the same way to kill a wolf when I was a kid. It was in a book I bought about the extirpation of wolves from the American plains in the 19th through early 20th Century. The same method was described for killing wolves in the winters of Montana. The book did credit the method to Arctic peoples. But it added another way to kill wolves in freezing temperatures.

It was said that wolf exterminators had devised another ingenious way of killing wolves that were instinctually set upon devouring anything resembling food which might be encountered as they did what they did (which mostly was described by common folk as killing and eating almost anything they ran across).

What you did was get yourself a caribou rib bone. Then you hone and sharpen the ends to be like knife points. Then you boil it in oil to make it soft. Then you roll up the softened rib like a... like a... I don't know what it's like... it's like you roll up something you roll up. Like a coil. Then that roll is placed inside a ball of lard. Then you take that ball (lard with rolled-up and sharpened Rudolf rib inside) outside where it is cold. It supposidly made a neat little tasty round Wolf Ball that would sit there waiting for a wolf to come along. You would then just start going around tossing these balls all about the wolf terrorist zone.

The idea was that a wolf would find the deadly lard ball and wolf it down whole without chewing it (FYI: we call wolves wolves because they wolve... or in singular... we call it a wolf because it does wolf when it eats).

So what happens after a wolf wolves a wolf ball? The stomach acids melt the lard and the dagger-like caribou rib uncoils inside the gut. It was supposed to whack wolves soon after eating the lard balls. Wolves were said to subsequently die with the rib bone protruding out both sides of their belly.

I think both stories are mythical folk tales about aboriginal ingenuitiy that never really was so spectacular in real life. I doubt that either method would have ever worked. The first fails because it wouldn't ever kill a wolf; and the second fails because you couldn't get the trap to work even if the wolf ate the fatty death ball.

I do wonder why the Pastor used the first account as a sermon illustration. If he was trying to show how smart he was, then that guy.... oh nevermind.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
His last thoughts are of how good the now warm
blood tastes. Within minutes he licks his last and collapse next to the
now fully exposed knife. Here the Eskimo knows he will find the wolfs
body the next morning.

I doubt the veracity of anything that claims to know an animal's thoughts.

I also doubt the veracity of anything that claims a wolf can die of blood loss through its tongue in a manner of hours. From what is described in the story, the wolf's tongue should be severed if it were cut that badly by the knife.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tasmanian Devil
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tasmanian Devil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few questions: why would you go to all that trouble to kill the wolf (assuming for food) when you have plenty of seal blood, and hence a nice fat seal, to make a blood popsicle?

Also, as stated above, why wouldn't the wolf try to chomp the knife rather than licking it?

I doubt the wolf's tongue would get so numb as to not feel anything... they have good circulation of blood in their tongues and mouths, which would mean their tongues are constantly receiving fresh blood supplies and would not freeze up and numb...

I'd say it's a badly constructed UL aimed at the unintelligent...

--------------------
I am not bound to please thee with my answers. ~ William Shakespeare

Posts: 18 | From: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Barns & No Bull
I do wonder why the Pastor used the first account as a sermon illustration.

Reluctant as I am to encourage glurgers I would suggest that the pastor was suggesting that Satan uses a similar system to catch unwary souls. Like the seal's blood at first sin may "taste" good and appear to be a free meal but eventually the imagined nourishment ends up being just a trick and we end up harming (consuming) oursleves. Only by turning away from the "free meal" (and I imagine the pastor here made some sort of reference to fact that the only free lunch is the one from God - and that was paid for in Jesus' blood) can we hope to escape the clutches of the evil one.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story appeared in one of John Norman's (abhorrently bad) Gor novels, where the setting was similar to Inuit peoples of Earth. The creatues they were hunting (attempting to fight off, they were being followed by a pack) were described as having a feeding frenzy bloodlust much like sharks, so when the first animal became weak from blood loss from licking the blade over and over, the others would kill it, and that led to more killing, etc. Eventually the remaining animals became so bloated and sated by the feast they were able to continue their journey in peace.

So I'm guessing the OP story has been around in some form for a long time, as Norman is an anthropology instructor and based most of the novels around some primitive or ancient culture of Earth. I have a difficult time believing an animal as intelligent as a wolf would fall for it though- it seems more like pinning an act of cruelty on a "less enlightened" culture than any kind of true story.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't kill a wolf for food. You kill it for its fur, if you are an Eskimo and living in a cold climate.

No idea on whether or not the OP is true. It sounds kind of like a folktale - someone challenges a Pecos Bill type to kill a wolf, and he comes up with a crafty means of doing so.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so to kill Satanists we coat a cross in Jesus' blood and freeze it..
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wolves have an excellent sense of smell. Once they started bleeding, they'd have to recognize the scent of their own blood, even if their tongue was somehow so numb they couldn't feel it.

That and I just can't see a cut to the tongue causing sufficient bleeding to kill something.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, would a wolf's tongue stick to the frozen bloodsicle? (Mmm, bloodsicle.)

ETA: Wait, no, that's just metal. *Sheepish look...*

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Also, would a wolf's tongue stick to the frozen bloodsicle? (Mmm, bloodsicle.)

ETA: Wait, no, that's just metal. *Sheepish look...*

Nope, it' not just metal. My son's lips and tongue stuck to an extra-cold popsicle a couple of years ago. He reflexively jerked the popsicle away, and tore off good-sized chunks of the skin on his lips and tongue. It was pretty gory, although ultimately harmless.

As for the OP though, it sounds like a romanticized folk tale. And utter crap.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then they dip it in the blood of a seal they have killed. (you see seals are fairly easy to trap but wolves are very dangerous). After dipping the knife in blood they set it outside in the cold so the blood freezes on the knife. After if freezes (a matter of minutes) they dip it again into the seal blood and again take it out an let the blood freeze. Layer after layer they make a blood popsicle.
Wouldn't it be easier to just put the seal blood into a cup or something and then put in the knife and let the whole thing freeze at once... like a real popsicle?

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silkenrain:

Wolves have an excellent sense of smell.

...and the Eskimos have had eons to learn of their weaknesses and exploit them. I read that some Eskimos will approach a wolf and fling open their sealskin parka and knock them out with their BO.

Another story claims that Eskimos kill wolves by using ducks. They tie a piece of bacon to a very long fishing line. Then the bacon is fed to a duck (which cannot digest it), which it passes through intact. A wolf will wolf the bacon and when the duck flies away it yanks the wolf right off the ground. Eventually, the line breaks or the bacon is regurgitated and the wolf fatally crashes back to earth. They didn't explain how the line is attached to the duck.

Yet another mentions Eskimos dropping old Penthouse magazines (they have lots of these laying around) onto the icy fields. Wolves will come along and be so enthralled that they just stand there forever and freeze to death. It keeps killing wolves until the magazine gets covered with snow or dead wolves or whatnot.

--------------------

Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barns & No Bull, YOMANK! And a new pair of nostrils too!

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another way the eskimos kill wolves is they take a can of peas, cut a hole in the ice, pour the peas around the hole. When the wolf comes up to take a pea, they kick it in the ice hole..... Oh, wait, that was polar bears.....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another way they do it is to take a shotgun, load it with ammo, then go and lie in wait for a wolf to pass.

When they see a wolf, they blow across the top of the shotgun barrels making a "whoo" noise the wolves find hypnotising. The eskimo then approaches the en-tranced wolf and hits it over the head with the shotgun, thus stunning it (this was why you needed the gun to be loaded, more weight).

Then he digs a deep hole using the butt of the gun, pushes the wolf into it, which then dies from the fall.

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 06 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silkenrain:

That and I just can't see a cut to the tongue causing sufficient bleeding to kill something.

Yes it can. My friend who used to do Wolf Rescue said a wolf can die from a cut on it's tongue in as little as 15 minutes.

Now of course, you don't need to do anything that complicated. All you have to do is shoot them from helicopters. [Frown]

I was sickened by the OP and even more sickened when I went to verify it(which I never could, I gave up trying).

I think I'll divorce humanity for a while.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I googled it, and all I could find was glurge. But for those of you who were wondering why a pastor would tell such a gruesome story...I submit the following links:

Satan is the eskimo and we are the wolf...
Temptation is the bloody knife and we are the wolf...

The bloodiscle represents smoking, drinking, and promiscuity...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't it jsut be easier to poison some meat, set a trap, shoot the thing, or put a fish hook type dealie inside a piece of meat?

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ARRRGH! Don't get me started on "Sermon Illustrations"! I can never figure out why preachers have to use stoooopid and easily debunked stories to illustrate a theological point. The world abounds with verifiable irony.

Speaking of which, the flaw in the "Eskimo Wolf Killer" story is that the wolf would indeed simply wolf down the deadly blood-cicle. As an illustration (!) thereof I submit the following image:
 -

Full story at BBC
This, of course, is NOT a wolf, but a Staffordshire Terrier pup; even MORE amazing!

Of course, having ingested the weapon, the wolf would then carry it away from the convenient retrieval site, to die in the wilderness, thus losing the hunter both pelt and valuable knife.

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another knife-eating dog :

-

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
as the vet hospital I saw Xrays of gods and cats that ahd eatten:

An entire ball of string with needles attached, the string had caughton the tongue which caused the symptoms.

A dog that had eatten the living room, bits of couch, VCR, wires, tape, etc were inside him. It was a miracle he wasn't electrocuted.

A dog that had eatten a 12 inch long stocking.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have walked out of that church and never returned. Blech.

I kinda judge churches and religions based on their compassion toward animals, and that the pastor told this tale as a kind of throw-away parable, rather than something quite sad, would have made them fail my test.

It's my own personal issue.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

(you see seals are fairly easy to trap but wolves are very dangerous).

Firstly, thanks for explaining the difference between seals and wolves. [fish]

Second, if the Eskimo is Satan and the we are the wolf...who is the seal?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages