snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Ducks cannot digest bacon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ducks cannot digest bacon
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard something similar to the alkaseltzer bird thing..that
ducks cannot digest bacon,and that tying raw bacon in twine will be
immediately pooped out,(and consequently swallowed by another
duck),resulting in a veritable 'string of ducks'...while this strikes me
as an obscure,infantile,and unusually cruel type of prank...could there be
any credence to it?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what scares me most about this comment is that it's actually readable. Almost no misspellings and the person actually used words like "infantile".

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That could be the explanation why a duck's quack doesn't echo.

Nick "and no one knows why"

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "string of ducks" thing is older than one would think - 1786 in fact - it's one of the many tall tales of Baron Münchhausen.

Here a link to Gottfried August Bürger's original german text (chapter II : hunting stories):

http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buerger/muenchhs/muench02.htm

(I can't find it in english, and have no time for an extensive translation, so here it is in short : the Baron stands by a lake and sees a few dozens wild ducks, unfortunately too widely scattered to be taken with one shot - and anyway, he only has a single cartridge left. So, he attaches a piece of greasy bacon to a long dogleash he's got, and waits for the first duck to eat it... of course, the bacon swiftly slips "through" the duck, to be eaten by the next one, and so on until Münchhausen has a long string of ducks to serve his numerous friends for supper. As there are too many of them to be carried home easily, he turns the rope around his chest and shoulders a few times. Suddenly, the ducks start flapping their wings, and the Baron conveniently flies home.)

... and although Baron Münchhausen himself actually existed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Munchhausen

... I don't think the story's true. [Wink]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard from family that my uncle did this as a child and succeeded in getting some ducks.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The versions I've heard mention salt pork instead of bacon. Could it be the fat they can't digest?

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely enough, all the results I got by Googling duck, bacon, string, fat, hunting and so on (together or separate) only led to delicious duck receipes.

If it was a well-known, centuries-old traditional way to catch ducks, how comes that no one mentions it, and why the Hell do duck-hunters keep on schlepping around those heavy shotguns instead of strings and bacon ?

And, if ducks can't digest fat, how do they make "foie gras de canard" ? Feeding them with Kellog's Special K ?

Inquiring minds want to know. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're probably being facetious, but foie gras isn't made by feeding the ducks with fat. It's made by feeding them large amounts of grain (generally maize).

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was being only half-facetious. What I meant is that if ducks could not digest fat, they also wouldn't stock it in their liver, thus producing foie gras. Whatever they're fed with (mostly maize, but also a mixture of grains, which are generally fat).

But OK, I might be wrong as we're talking self-produced and not ingested fat.

About the duck string story, I stand to my opinion: tall tale. (BTW, two more questions : how long would it take for the bacon to go through the duck ?... and why should a duck feel attracted by a piece of bacon... especially if it comes out of a colleague's bum ??)

If someone proves me wrong, I'll eat a roasted magret de canard drinking Sauternes in his/her honor.

--------------------

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
I was being only half-facetious. What I meant is that if ducks could not digest fat, they also wouldn't stock it in their liver, thus producing foie gras. Whatever they're fed with (mostly maize, but also a mixture of grains, which are generally fat).

[Confused]

Grains contain very little fat - they are mostly carbohydrate (starch).

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bodies (even duck bodies) are very very good carb to fat transmuters [Smile] Which is why the Atkins diet was so popular.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Oops - you're right. My bad. I may be lost in translation.

Yet, I found this official FAO site (in French) about duck-keeping. In point 2.3, they talk about optimal duck-feeding, which includes a certain amount of fat(graisses), sunflower seeds and peanut (arachides).

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/AC556F/AC556F02.htm

--------------------

Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I do think most of the foodstuffs from bacon is not absorbed, I very much doubt it will come out completely intact after a dunk in the gastric juice. I don't even think the pylorus sphincter would easily allow such a great chunck of food to pass from the stomach that easily.

At least, this is what I learned about the (standard)digestive system of animals. I don't know if this goed for birds too, that's a subject for next trimester.
So if you guys can wait two or three months [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Excellent idea, and while we wait, we can start other clever discussions based on Baron Münchhausen stories, and try to find out if it's possible to whip a wolf out of its skin, knock sparkles out of your eyes to ignite gunpowder, ride a cannonball or lift yourself out of a swamp by pulling your own hair. [Big Grin]

'C'mon, fellow Snopesters, Debunking Münchhausen, someone ? [lol]

--------------------

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought this was the source of the old phrase "...like grease thorugh a goose"; the belief that birds cannot process fat, and it will pass through their digestive tract in a matter of minutes.

I remember reading a horrific story in a book, (Red Sky At Morning?) about someone doing this to a seagull. They threw a piece of bacon fat tied to a string into the air. A seagull caught and swallowed the fat. The fat passed right through the seagull, and the kid had himself a literal seagull "kite".

I couldn't find anything about this by Googling either. Just haven't phrased it right, I guess.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if they could not digest it, it would not come out right away. It would sit there not being digested for as long as it takes for food to get through a duck normally. Kind of like the quarter you swallowed as a kid didn't come shooting out right away, even though you couldn't digest it.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I hijack for a sec. When I was scrolling down the main message board page, I read this title as: Drunks can't digest bacon. you may continue on now.

E * who is being a smartass today* E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Silas say that he did this as a kid?? Seems like I remember him confirming the "geese through a goose" thing.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I know I have no problem digesting bacon, though I've never tried raw. That has to count for something right?

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
I heard from family that my uncle did this as a child and succeeded in getting some ducks.

Interesting... my dad told me that his father did something similar as a kid, only he strung geese together using a piece of liver on a string. Different variables, same result.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if it did work and the bacon would give the bird such a diarrhea that it would come out the other end fast, it would be coated in the feces. I doubt that any other bird would be in hurry to swallow it.
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaving aside the "bait" portion of the tale, is it even possible for a creature to have an unbroken length of string running through it? Wouldn't it get tangled in the intestines or interfere with the operation of the sphincters?
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about ducks, but I think they did that stunt in Jackass as a "full body floss". Duck, obviously, are much smarter than the Jackass crew, and would probably not try it.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrMerkwuerdig
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrMerkwuerdig   E-mail DrMerkwuerdig   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ducks do eat a fair amount of animal matter (worms and so on). That must contain some fat, so they can not completely lack a digestive system for fat. Even if they do have problems with digesting large amounts of fat, it will still, as others have pointed out, take a long time to pass through the duck.
Also, I doubt that any non-synthetic string can stand up to stomach acid long enough for this to work.

--------------------
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Posts: 91 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some kind of strings apparently can survive digestive tracts however- a pediatrician at the military hospital told me when they were checking my daughter for giardia (nasty lil intestinal parasite, we were running out of ideas about what was causing her tummy trouble) about the "old" method of testing back in perhaps WW2... where the person would swallow a capsule with a string on it, and keep one end of the string hanging from the mouth... and when the other end hit, er, bottom it would be drawn out to get a sample. Through the mouth. Uggh.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if it did come out of the duck so fast, why would it still be hanging out of the duck's anus like a string? Wouldn't it just pass entirely out of the duck?

...can't believe I am posting this question...

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are no stupid questions, Artemis, only stupid ducks. Which is why we can supposedly catch one by tying a piece of bacon fat to a string and waiting for the duck to swallow and pass through the fat.

Which begs the question; if we pull on the string too fast, would the bacon fat just come back out of the mouth by the same route?

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some kind of strings apparently can survive digestive tracts however- a pediatrician at the military hospital told me when they were checking my daughter for giardia (nasty lil intestinal parasite, we were running out of ideas about what was causing her tummy trouble) about the "old" method of testing back in perhaps WW2... where the person would swallow a capsule with a string on it, and keep one end of the string hanging from the mouth... and when the other end hit, er, bottom it would be drawn out to get a sample. Through the mouth. Uggh.
Sounds like a myth to me. As the intestines is more or less a big tangle, I suspect that you would run a huge risk of tearing them as you pull. Then we have the entire issue of transferring bacterial cultures from places where they are supposed to be to places they are not supposed to be.

I think he was just making conversation with a lighthearted story to show that it could be worse.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander Sushimi:

Wow, I'm sure there is a reason for pulling the string back through the mouth, but it makes more sense to me to pull it so it passes through in the direction nature intended...
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
betabox
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 15 posted      Profile for betabox     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
Sounds like a myth to me. As the intestines is more or less a big tangle, I suspect that you would run a huge risk of tearing them as you pull. Then we have the entire issue of transferring bacterial cultures from places where they are supposed to be to places they are not supposed to be.

I think he was just making conversation with a lighthearted story to show that it could be worse.

I knew a woman (Actually, she was a Friend Of A Co-worker, but I met her and talked to her) whose dog died as a result of eating a snagged end of a nylon-loop carpet.

It was a fairly young dog, and it got ahold of a snag in the carpet, and just kept eating as the carpet unraveled.

By the time she found the dog and got it to a vet, the indigestible nylon had worked its way into the intestines, and had done enough damage to result in the death of the dog.

Debunking Munchausen isn't always pretty. [Frown]

-bb

Posts: 10 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is true, but sometimes the dog can be saved through surgery...I'm sure Cervus can agree, I've seen dogs that have eaten baseballs (lots of string in there) have to have their abdomens cut open to get all of that mess out.

On the other hand, I was in an unenviable position involving string with some deer once. A little bit was hanging out of this deer's back end.......I thought at first that it was something stuck to the deer, and pulled on it, it wasn't.....The deer had followed someone into the feed barn, and when no one was looking, had eaten the pull-string off of the top of a bag of feed.
So here I am, pulling the whole mess out of the deer's back end.

Which I guess, does answer the question mentioned above about whether string could make it through the digestive system of an animal without being dissolved.

This would be cotton string in the gut of a ruminant.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The duck thing is a camp-fire story, although it is possible for a duck to pass a length of string,to leave the bitter end hanging from the anus/cloaca.

The reason string can be fatal to animals (or people, for that matter) is that the bowel tries to pass the string along by peristalsis. This results in two peristaltic waves acting as "anchor" points, which eventually causes the string to become taut. Intermediate peristaltic waves then act on the linear foreign body produced by the taut length of string, trying unsuccessfully to move it along. Repeated movement against the string actually saws through the bowel wall, leading to perforation, peritonitis and eventual death.

Diagnosis of this phenomenon involves taking contrast X-rays, which show the bowel piled up on itself in accordian-like pleats.

Surgery to remove a piece of string from a cat's bowel involves "multiple enterotomies", several incisions into the gut to get all of the string freed up from the anchor points.

We can, therefor, re-phrase the old conundrum "how long is a piece of string?" as "how MUCH is a piece of string?". The answer is "about $4000.00 US"....

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages