snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Blue Porch Ceilings keep bugs away?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue Porch Ceilings keep bugs away?
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this story on NPR this week.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5645263

In a series on America's front porches they discussed why so many people paint the ceiling of their front porch blue. Suggestion of it extending daylight or blue keeping evil spirits away were interesting but I was intrigued that some believe that the blue color keeps some bugs away. For instance, gnats think it's open area rather than the sheltered areas they usually choose at sunset. Wasps won't build their nests on porches with a blue ceiling because they too think they're too exposed.

I'm just curious if anyone has heard this before.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know enough about bugs to know just how much sensitivity they have to the same range of colors that humans have. Many bugs see in ultraviolet rather in the colors that our eyes perceive.

I think I might have to call BS tho. Being that just because it was painted blue doesn't stop it from casting a shadow... plus it doesn't look any different from above, only from underneath. Although in all honesty, I do not know for sure one way or the other. It's just how it seems to me. An entomologist would know for sure.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They did talk to an entomologist in the story (I think that's mentioned in the link.) They hadn't heard of it and couldn't find any studies.
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah... sorry, but my boys were waking from naps, so I didn't have the time to follow the link. Time to play milk machine to the wee one. [Smile]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandparents had a room were fruits, mainly apples, were stored. It was painted royal blue "to keep the bugs away". I am not sure if it worked.
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages