snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Borax for flea control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Borax for flea control?
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother always told me to use Borax on the carpet to kill fleas. How effective is this? I've looked at several web sites that say "This always works" or "this never worked". They also vary in the time I'm supposed to leave it on the carpet, anywhere from "several hours" to "a week".

I bathed the dog last night and vaccuumed the carpets. (We've been battling a flea problem even though he's on Frontline.) This morning I vacuumed my bedroom again and sprinkled Borax all over the bedroom carpet and brushed it down into the carpet. But I haven't done the living room yet because I wanted to make sure I was doing this right.

Does anyone know how long you should leave Borax on the carpet, and if it's even effective? I don't want to have to bomb the place or call pest control unless it's a last resort.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LRC: I tried borax several years ago when my cat had fleas - didn't seem to help much. My understanding of its mechanism of action is that it dries out the flea eggs and larvae that live deep in the carpet. The procedure I used was to brush it in, wait several hours and vacuum.

There also seem to be some contraindications to using borax indoors, see the rec.pets FAQ on fleas.

Also, do you use Frontline or Frontline Plus on your dog? The Plus version kills flea eggs and larvae that the regular version doesn't, so your dog won't bring them back into your house.

Good hunting!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Borax does work on roaches, adhering to their little carapaces and leaching vital nutrients from their innards. You sprinkle it along the edges of walls and barriers, and roaches get it on themselves because they're thigmotropic (i.e. they like to rub against walls).

And I learned that on snopes years ago!

However, I doubt that it would help with fleas, because fleas are not thigmotropic but dogmatic or catastrophic, and their caraway-seed like shells are probably thicker, proportionate to their size, than a roach's exoskeleton.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh...fleas. I have been battling them all summer. I am convinced that there is only one method guaranteed to work. That method is a limited nuclear warhead strike. The only drawback to this method is the expense, as you need to repeat the procedure two weeks later.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I battled fleas in the past, I found only a concerted effort was effective in controlling them.

First, I was washed the cats in a Hartz flea shampoo.

Second, I applied a vet-supplied control (like frontline) according to directions

third, I used RAID fumigators (drop in a cup of water)

Fourth, I used a Dollar Store flea spray (they changed formula a few years ago and the new one is not as effective) as a mop up procedure for any stragglers.

If I cut corners, the effect was less than total.

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages