snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Pets die of a broken heart? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pets die of a broken heart?
yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 06 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A cousin of mine died just about a month ago after a nasty fight with cancer. My mother called me today and told me that her dog got sick a few weeks ago and died today and that no one really knew what was wrong with her.
She proceeded to tell me, as if it were common knowledge, that animals just do that--they die of broken hearts... ???
Now, normally I would just write this off as my mother's take on the world BUT...
I talked with a friend of mine immediately afterward, and when I told him what had happened (BEFORE I got to telling him what my mother said) he said the same thing--animals just do that. Of course I was quite shocked to hear him say exactly the same thing my mother said... He proceeded to tell me that pets sometimes just can't handle it when their "owners" die and that they just go on and die too.
Is this a common thing? Are these two pulling this out of nowhere, or have I just completely missed this whole phenomenon somehow?

--------------------
We criticize a thinker more sharply when he presents us with a displeasing proposition; and yet it would be more reasonable to do this when his proposition pleases us.
--Nietzsche

Posts: 85 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of animals "pining to death" for their owners, but have never experienced it, or known anyone directly who has. However, often spouses die closely together in time, if they have been married for a very long time. And, I may be thwacked or yelled down for this, but I believe that animals probably feel devotion as strongly or more so, since in humans you do tend to have more attatchments than just that one. I mean, while you love your spouse, they have family and friends that they also love, while you are probably your dog's whole world.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yogi cat:
Is this a common thing? Are these two pulling this out of nowhere?

Well it's not really that common, but animals do pine for lost loved ones, human or otherwise. Sometimes their health is already perilous and the hormonal disruption of grief kinda tips them over the edge.

Cats, for example, can seem well enough but be just holding their own with enlarged heart and fatty liver. If their grief makes them stop eating, the liver will irreparably damage itself trying to liberate energy from the intracellular fat. Heart and kidney damage follows.

A similar mechanism in dogs can precipitate pancreatitis, quite treatable by itself but just enough in an aged animal to decompensate heart and kidneys.

It's not really dying of "a broken heart", but dying of grief? Essentially, yes.

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My beloved cat died before her time, of a broken heart.

Samantha was a rescue kitty, saved from a barn where she would have had a brief, hard life. She was 5 weeks old when I got her (her cat mommy was stepped on by a horse), and I was her mommy. She was a gorgeous tortie with the greenest eyes you've ever seen.

When she was 6, I went to college. She was okay with this until my parents had to move. My mom laid out my blanket on a bed, and she would go lie there in the morning, and stay until late at night. When she started losing weight, my mom took her to the vet who said she was perfectly healthy, and would probably perk back up when I got back for the holidays. When I came home for Thanksgiving, she was the happiest kitty ever. When I left again, she was inconsolable. Now she spent all day running back and forth between the bed and the back door, waiting for me to come back. And I did. Winter break lasts a month, and by January, she was plump, happy, purring, and healthy.

But I had to go back to school. That was one loss too many. Sammy went and laid on the bed, and stopped getting up at all. Two vets told us the same thing: She's depressed, show her extra love, she's healthy, she'll pull through. But she didn't. A week before spring break, she died.

I still have her collar.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlushingBride:
My beloved cat died before her time, of a broken heart.

Samantha was a rescue kitty, saved from a barn where she would have had a brief, hard life. She was 5 weeks old when I got her (her cat mommy was stepped on by a horse), and I was her mommy. She was a gorgeous tortie with the greenest eyes you've ever seen.

When she was 6, I went to college. She was okay with this until my parents had to move. My mom laid out my blanket on a bed, and she would go lie there in the morning, and stay until late at night. When she started losing weight, my mom took her to the vet who said she was perfectly healthy, and would probably perk back up when I got back for the holidays. When I came home for Thanksgiving, she was the happiest kitty ever. When I left again, she was inconsolable. Now she spent all day running back and forth between the bed and the back door, waiting for me to come back. And I did. Winter break lasts a month, and by January, she was plump, happy, purring, and healthy.

But I had to go back to school. That was one loss too many. Sammy went and laid on the bed, and stopped getting up at all. Two vets told us the same thing: She's depressed, show her extra love, she's healthy, she'll pull through. But she didn't. A week before spring break, she died.

I still have her collar.

Oh my God, I'm so sorry! That's got to be one of the saddest stories I've ever heard.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J'sMommy
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J'sMommy   E-mail J'sMommy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago my great uncle suddenly died of a heart attack. He had a dog that adored him, and on the day of his funeral the dog suddenly died, also of a heart attack. Nobody ever knew if it was just the stress of having so many people coming and going from the house, or if the dog figured out his master was not coming home and it was just too much to take.

Now, on the other hand, when I was young I had two cats that lived on the back porch. One was male, very headstrong and dominant, and the other was a female, very, very shy and humble. She would always let him eat first, have the best bedding, and get all of the attention. She was "fixed", but he was not. It was simply impossible to get him in a cage to go the the vet. They had been born feral. He catted around and would be gone for days, and he would eventually show up tired to death and skinny as a rail. The girl cat would sit and watch for him to come home, and she would bathe him and tend to him when he finally got home.

One day he got sick, and he just got worse and worse. We did get him to the vet this time since he was too weak to fight the cage, and it turned out he had feline leukemia and had to be put down. The girl cat didn't understand. She thought he had just gone out catting again. She sat and watched for him for days, but then she suddenly stopped. She went and ate as much as she wanted, took the best bedding, and ended up being one of the most loving cats we ever had. It was almost as though she had lived her life for him, but now that he was gone she started her own life. It was very interesting to observe.

--------------------
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I'm an Avon Rep! Email me for information on ordering.

Posts: 30 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat Shiloh adored my father. When he died, she stopped eating and lost several pounds. She was clearly depressed and missed him. We were worried we'd loose her, too.

She did pull through, and lived another few years.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 502 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my grandfather died, after a long illness, his cat Smokey would sit and stare at his rocking chair all day, as if he'd suddenly reappear in it to pet him. He died shortly after, but he was pretty old when my Grampy passed away.

My Reggie, who has lived with my father since I went to college, never really liked anyone except me. When I'm there, she'll follow me around, sleep on me, walk into a room just to make sure I'm there... and I hear that when I leave, she walks around searching for me for days. Poor baby is so depressed with my dad (they never did get along) that she started some kitty "stress habits" - she started pooing on the bathmat, and she compulsively grooms to the point where she has no fur at all on the backs of her feet - she licked it all off. I'm taking her to live with me as soon as I graduate, in about a month. I wish she could understand that I'd always come back for her, but... well, it's been five years. I hope she didn't give up on me yet.

The cat I have now, Nestle, gets upset when I go out to get the mail... he'll wander around squeaking, wondering where I've gone. Though I haven't heard it ofen (since it is, of course, when I'm gone), I hear it's one of the most pathetic things ever. When I went away for a weekend, he showed his displeasure by peeing all over my bedroom floor.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So many of these stories are so terribly sad that I thought I'd add in a humorous note.

After my parents split up, my mother and I lived in the house that she and my dad had shared together for a while, but without my dad to protect me from some of her worst behaviors, everything went downhill between us really fast, and after one last screaming fight, I left to live with my father. My cats were Not Happy with this, and they knew who to blame.

My mother told me that if she left the door open for even a second, one or more of the cats would run in and pee on the carpet. I mean seriously, it would be run in, pee, run out. She didn't understand what the hell was up, especially since they never seemed to do it when I was there.

I understood.

After she moved out to live with her new boyfriend and my father bought her share of the house from her and we moved back in, the cats would come inside all the time and never pee once, nor did they start up the habit after I left for college.

It's not pining away, but certainly proof that animals do miss their loved ones and can sometimes even understand the circumstances under which their loved ones departed.

Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our pets have always understood that, while I don't live with my parents, I do always come home and visit them. They get depressed when I leave, but occasionally when I call home, my parents put me on speakerphone, and they say the dogs come and listen to me talk. Also, I guess a couple weeks before I'm scheduled to come home, my parents start telling the dogs, "Guess who's coming?" and tell them the date I'll be home. The dogs apparently get more and more excited each day until I'm finally there.
I would guess our dogs don't really think of me as the leader of our "pack", but more in the nature of an occasional visitor, so maybe that's why they don't get as depressed as others have talked about.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DH and I inherited a cat after a friend killed himself. She was a very upset kitty. It took her weeks to come out from under our bed, much less let us touch her. She went a few weeks without eating hardly anything. This was last September. She is now comfortable enough to allow us to feed her treats from our hands. She has even jumped into our lap a few times. We considered it a big breakthrough the first time she did that!

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bab5nutz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bab5nutz   E-mail bab5nutz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, we had a grumpy male cat, Hokum. And he was a grumpy cat - he would not let anyone handle him, never purred, and generally held himself aloof. At 11 years of age, he was going down hill, throwing up, losing weight and condition, and we thought it would only be a matter of months.
Then we got a pair of kittens. One of the kittens, Sunshine, decided that she was going to adopt Hokum as a kind of uncle.
She snuggled up with him, followed him everywhere, bounced up and down on him, started playfights, chased him around the house.
We thought Hokum would hate it. But he seemed to love it. He would give Sunshine the occasional swipe with his paw when she got too boisterous, but otherwise, he was very patient with her. Even after Sunshine got to be an adult, she would follow him everywhere. And you would often find the two together in the garden or elsewhere. Hokum seemed to take on a whole new lease of life.
However, Sunshine had serious behavioural problems. And taking the advice of our vet - something we always regretted later, she was put to sleep.
After that, Hokum just seemed to go downhill. He lost interest in food, became depressed. He started throwing up a lot and had serious kidney trouble. Within six months of Sunshine's death, we had to put him to sleep.
I am convinced to this day that he simply lost the will to live.

Posts: 101 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 9 I brought home a stray cat and we called her Stray (yeah I know not very original!)
Stray was a very dominant female and would "beat up" any other animal brought into the house.(Dogs included and they were afraid of her) When I was 18 I brought home a stray kitten (her mom and 2 siblings were killed when a car hit them) We called her Razcal. Well Stray didnt really "beat her up" but she did show her who was boss! Stray had to eat first and use the litter box first etc. But she would clean Razcal like a mom does (only when she thought nobody was around)Well Stray got congestive heart failure when I was 27 and died shortly after. Razcal used to go through the house crying and looking everywhere for Stray,she stopped eating and would just cry alot. She eventually starting eating again but would still cry occasionally when she would pass a spot where Stray used to hide from her.
Both these cats were essentially my Dads cats. And Razcal got even closer to him after Stray died. Well in 2003 when I was 33 my father died of a heart attack in my house(where he and Razcal now lived). She would again cry all the time and would go over and sit at the spot where my Dad died and meow real funny and sleep there. In 2004 I moved from that house. Once in the new house Razcal cried all the time and stopped eating, she wouldnt let anyone touch her and started having miini seizures. We took her to the vet and he could find nothing wrong. (took her to 2 others with the same results) Razcal passed away after a seizure 6 months after we moved. I think she just wanted to be with my Dad.
Sorry this is so long I didnt realise it would be.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
twig
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twig   E-mail twig   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a Siberian Husky that for 3 years had a 'toad friend'. (true story-read in 'Chicken Soup for the Cat & Dog Lover's Soul' "Princess Misha")
My editor had me change the ending to a 'softer' one. The toad didn't return the Spring of the 4th year, and Misha was devastated. Her health declined, she developed urinary problems, and finally her red blood cell count drastically fell to a dangerous level. When that information came back from the lab, our Vet performed surgery to remove her spleen, which was a possible treatment for her condition. She made it through the surgery, but died shortly after. The diagnosis was "Autoimmune hemolytic anemia", but we knew she really died of a broken heart!

--------------------
twig

Posts: 3 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StillandSilent
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StillandSilent   E-mail StillandSilent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They certainly do. I have seen dozens of cats grieve themselves to death after being abandoned at our shelter. I actually hate to hear that a new cat was an owner surrender, because about 25% of the time, unless the cat is very quickly adopted, it will grieve itself away. They stop eating, stop grooming, get sick and just give up. Thats actually how we ended up with our Puss. I took him home with me as a last resort and within two days he was devouring all the food in sight, grooming and acting like a normal cat. But many of them die, especially if they are older cats. As far as dogs go, I have only seen one grieve itself to death out of several thousand.
Posts: 75 | From: Morganton NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
INSENSITIVE NFBSK ALERT!
INSENSITIVE NFBSK ALERT!
INSENSITIVE NFBSK ALERT!

Ok, I have to do it, it has been bugging me since i saw the thread title. I have held off this long, but I can hold back no longer: The vet said that my dog died of a burst ventricle, but I know he died of a broken heart...
I really apologize for that, but sometimes I just gotta...

OK SAFE TO RESUME READING NOW
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spacky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spacky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just finished reading through the whole thread. I even got a bit teary-eyed. Its very apparent that everyone here believes pets can die of broken hearts after their owners die... its gotten me wondering, has anyone ever had experiences of pets mourning over their siblings?
Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
Ok, I have to do it, it has been bugging me since i saw the thread title. I have held off this long, but I can hold back no longer: The vet said that my dog died of a burst ventricle, but I know he died of a broken heart...

[lol] [lol] [lol]

I thought of this after I started this thread, but it still made me laugh to read it!!

--------------------
We criticize a thinker more sharply when he presents us with a displeasing proposition; and yet it would be more reasonable to do this when his proposition pleases us.
--Nietzsche

Posts: 85 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:
Just finished reading through the whole thread. I even got a bit teary-eyed. Its very apparent that everyone here believes pets can die of broken hearts after their owners die... its gotten me wondering, has anyone ever had experiences of pets mourning over their siblings?

Yes, I've seen pets react badly to the death or disappearance of another pet (even if they're not the same species). Several memories of a dog seeking an absent cat, or a cat hovering near an absent dog's favorite spot, come readily to mind.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
coleus
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coleus   E-mail coleus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had one of those ten cent wal-mart goldfish in a bowl that hung on the wall. We'd ask our cat, "Where's Bob?" and he'd jump on the chair and meow at the bowl. Every time. After the fish died (something like 5 years after we bought it) our cat would sit on the back of the chair and stare at the spot on the wall where the bowl had been. He'd mew for him for a long time. It was like he was asking us where Bob was.

This same cat was overly protective of his sister and faded away when she passed on.

Posts: 52 | From: Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, impessive stories.
I'm really, really glad I can come home from uni every weekend to visit my kitty...

Oh, and my parents to of course.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kaze
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Kaze   E-mail Kaze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a dog, Ben, that died of poisoning (psycho neighbor). There was a different neighbor's dog, Harry, who "hung out" with Ben. The two were inseperable, and even spent the night at each other's houses. We got to know Harry pretty well, and he loved us. He was like our second dog. After our dog died, my dad had to bury him and Harry came over while we were in the process. He sat and waited through the whole thing, then walked over to the grave and laid down on it. He didn't move for a couple days, and we took food and water to him. Finally, he got up and seemed okay, but from that day on, he was terrified of my dad. Seems in his mind, Dad had taken away his best friend, and, even years later, he never went close to him again.

Not exactly pining to death, but it's interesting the way animals perceive loss.

--------------------
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

Posts: 2 | From: Nemo, SD | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents dog, Sandy, always got along great with their neighbors dog, Bailey. Imagine, a pekingese and a chocolate lab playing through a fence--it was so comical!

When the neighbor's baby arrived, Bailey became more aggressive towards the new kid (Jealousy? Old age? I have no clue.) so my neighbor's decided to have the dog put down. They said she was an older dog and wouldn't react well to any change, including a new home.

Damned if that little Sandy dog didn't go to the fence and waited for Bailey every time she went out to do her business [Frown]

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Animals have much more of an emotional life than we often give them credit. Seveal first hand expiences came to mind:
1) Our cat Jazz was killed by the neighbor's pit bull. Our other cat, Mr. Stanley, walked around the house 'calling' Jazz for two weeks.
2) Years ago, I found a feral kitten in my garage. It took a few weeks, but Cam bonded with me and I became his adoptive mother. When he was about 9 months old I moved. For a week Cam sniffled and sneezed and would not let me out of his sight, but he made no attempt to leave and find his way back to the old place.
3)My mom's dog learned that a suitcase meant mom was going to be gone for a few days. Muffy would burrow under the clothes mom packed, and actually got closed in the suitcase once. While mom was gone, Muffy would pee in mom's slippers.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We once had a goldfish in our living room. We watched the old tearjerker "Mrs. Miniver" on TV one night, and the next morning the fish was dead.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brad, I hope you have some insight on how to get matzo balls out from between my keys or you're going to OMANK!

--------------------
--Nietzsche

Jimmy Jive
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimmy Jive   E-mail Jimmy Jive   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of that Futurama episode, 'Jurrasic Bark'. About Fry's old dog.
So sad.

--------------------
Like Johnny says, I walk the line...

Posts: 87 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom and Dad had a brother and sister cat who were inseparable. California Fats, the male, would even sit on Hershey, his sister. She would go "OOF" but sit still for it. One year, Mom and Dad refurbished a dolly bunk bed for my then-5-year-old sister. On Christmas morning, when they all came downstairs, here were Fats and Hersh, one on each bench.

One day, Fats got hit by a car and died on the way to the vet's. Hershey walked all over the house, over and over, for at least two weeks, crying. Mom said is was terribly pitiful. She pulled through, fortunately.

As a side note, when Mom and Dad got Chiango, a kitten who was at least 10 years younger than Hershey, Hersh was NOT happy. Chiango would be using the covered litter box, with her head facing outside (hey, that smells in there!), Hersh would run down the hall and bit Chiango on the neck. There wasn't much Chiango could do, being, uh, occupied.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had many cats over the years but I have never had a pair such as my Pippa and George. Pippa was a tiny thing when I got her, the runt of the litter, and I had heard that the owners were planning to drown her. I just couldn't let this happen so I adopted her. I called her Pippa as she was a pip of a kitten.
About the same time I got George. He was the most robust of cats and came from farm stock. A real mouser and beautiful in his shiny black and white coat. The pair soon became known as husband and wife, going everywhere together and producing a wonderfully lively litter of kittens.
One day I noticed a brown bump under a parked car and asked my then husband Rob to check to see what it was. It was Pippa. She was alive but there was something very, very wrong. Her head and shoulders were normal looking but her back legs and tail end were twisted up, facing the underside of the car. The vet told us she had been hit by a car and that her back was broken. Sadly we had no choice but to let her sleep.
George wandered the house for a week meowing and looking for his ladylove. We tried everything we could think of to get him to eat but he wasnt having any of it. Then he disappeared. 2 weeks passed and still no sign of him. We asked around and posted pictures of him but nothing came of it. Then we had a phonecall asking if we were the owners of a big black and white tomcat wearing a bright blue collar. This was what the woman told us...she had noticed George hanging around the main road by her house, she could see he was underweight and tried to feed him but he wouldnt eat a thing. He just sat by the road watching the cars go by. She even tried to catch him a few times but failed. Then as she looked out of her kitchen window she watched George walk out into the path of a Heavy Goods Vehicle. She watched the wheels go over him and there was nothing she could do. All we have of him now is his bright blue collar and silver name tag...and her comment that she had never seen a cat commit suicide before.

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a rabbit that did what BlushingBride's cat did. We used to raise rabbits for meat, but I hand-raised one that became the patriarch of our little rabbit clan. When I went to university, he stopped eating. When my dad realized, he called me to come home for the weekend. When I came home, Bucky refused to pay any attention to me. After that, my dad to love him up and give him extra treats and attention, and he did finally start eating again. In my 4th year of uni, Bucky was getting very old (almost 10) and sick. Dad said he knew that he was dying for about 3 days, but that stubborn old thing waited until I got home for the weekend and died in my arms.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:

I had a Scottie who died of cancer, and his older sister, a mutt who was originally a stray, had to be put down a couple of months later at 15 from congestive heart failure. Her health problems started after he was gone, so I think she did die of a broken heart.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eleanor
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is torture. [Frown]

When my sister died suddenly, her dog Tupelo pined at the door waiting for her to come home until he died a month later.

--------------------

Posts: 619 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it a couple of times working at the cat shelter. We often took in cats whose owners had died and mostly they adapted after varying lengths of time. One particular pair of cats came in and we cold not get one of them eat. A fosterer took both home and the vet gave appetite stimulating injections, force feeding etc, but the cat woulod not eat of its own accord. The cat was PTS because its health failed due to voluntary inappetance and it was severely depressed. There was no physical cause and no sign of neurological problems. It just didn't want to live. The other cat lost weight, but pulled through and was adopted.

There was a case reported in a cat mag of a cat that went and sat in the road in front of traffic after the owner died. Maybe it was just confused and disoriented, but it was reported as "the cat that committed suicide".

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
i typed for miles
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i typed for miles   Author's Homepage   E-mail i typed for miles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my heart is breaking from this thread! [Frown]

i know this is true of sugar gliders. a friend of mine went on vacation and left hers, Lucy, with mine, and although she had a playmate and plenty of attention, she was visibly depressed without her owner. she perked right up when they came back.

there are several stories of gliders dying of depression from being neglected in playtime, or being kept alone for extended periods of time. older gliders have been known to simply 'fade away' when given to a new owner.

--------------------
crazy is as crazy does, but fire speaks louder than words.

Posts: 21 | From: Virginia Beach | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my little story-

We used to have three whippets- Lucy was the mum, and Benji and Misty were her children.

In 1999, Benji died suddenly. The other two handled this okay, as they still had each other. But the following year, Lucy had to be put to sleep.

Misty was never the same after that. She looked depressed all the time...and a few months later, her heart started to fail her. We ended up having to put her to sleep too.

Ironically, a new dog that we got managed to get to and kill my pet rabbit, so within the space of two years, I had lost all 4 of my original pets.

Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages