snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Pets die of a broken heart? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pets die of a broken heart?
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:
Just finished reading through the whole thread. I even got a bit teary-eyed. Its very apparent that everyone here believes pets can die of broken hearts after their owners die... its gotten me wondering, has anyone ever had experiences of pets mourning over their siblings?

I had a Scottie who died of cancer, and his older sister, a mutt who was originally a stray, had to be put down a couple of months later at 15 from congestive heart failure. Her health problems started after he was gone, so I think she did die of a broken heart.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eleanor
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eleanor   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is torture. [Frown]

When my sister died suddenly, her dog Tupelo pined at the door waiting for her to come home until he died a month later.

--------------------

Posts: 619 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen it a couple of times working at the cat shelter. We often took in cats whose owners had died and mostly they adapted after varying lengths of time. One particular pair of cats came in and we cold not get one of them eat. A fosterer took both home and the vet gave appetite stimulating injections, force feeding etc, but the cat woulod not eat of its own accord. The cat was PTS because its health failed due to voluntary inappetance and it was severely depressed. There was no physical cause and no sign of neurological problems. It just didn't want to live. The other cat lost weight, but pulled through and was adopted.

There was a case reported in a cat mag of a cat that went and sat in the road in front of traffic after the owner died. Maybe it was just confused and disoriented, but it was reported as "the cat that committed suicide".

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
i typed for miles
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i typed for miles   Author's Homepage   E-mail i typed for miles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my heart is breaking from this thread! [Frown]

i know this is true of sugar gliders. a friend of mine went on vacation and left hers, Lucy, with mine, and although she had a playmate and plenty of attention, she was visibly depressed without her owner. she perked right up when they came back.

there are several stories of gliders dying of depression from being neglected in playtime, or being kept alone for extended periods of time. older gliders have been known to simply 'fade away' when given to a new owner.

--------------------
crazy is as crazy does, but fire speaks louder than words.

Posts: 21 | From: Virginia Beach | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my little story-

We used to have three whippets- Lucy was the mum, and Benji and Misty were her children.

In 1999, Benji died suddenly. The other two handled this okay, as they still had each other. But the following year, Lucy had to be put to sleep.

Misty was never the same after that. She looked depressed all the time...and a few months later, her heart started to fail her. We ended up having to put her to sleep too.

Ironically, a new dog that we got managed to get to and kill my pet rabbit, so within the space of two years, I had lost all 4 of my original pets.

Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spacky:
Just finished reading through the whole thread. I even got a bit teary-eyed. Its very apparent that everyone here believes pets can die of broken hearts after their owners die... its gotten me wondering, has anyone ever had experiences of pets mourning over their siblings?

Yes. We got a brother and sister pair of puppies. Last Friday the boy had to be put to sleep after a long struggle. He was hospitalized three times and each time she cried when he was first taken away and was very excited when he came back. The last time she cried for about an hour after he was taken away and keeps searching the house for him. She even digs around under the bedding looking for him. She very obviously misses him and is attention seeking a lot but she is still eating so she probably won't pine away. The worst part for her though is at night, they used to cuddle up together on their bed and that's when she looks for him under the blankets. A well meaning relative gave the kids a kitten and Zari (the girl puppy) wants to take it into her bed to cuddle with, of course kitty is not so keen on the idea. But maybe when kitty is a little bigger they can be cuddle buddies.

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aarspace
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aarspace     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my dad died in 2004, my dog never really recovered. She was a springer spaniel, only 9, who was, i think, obsessive compulsive.

She would freak if her routine was disrupted for any reason.

She went a little doggie nuts after that. My dad passed in Feb 04 and we had to put my dog down in Jun 04 because she began to suffer dementia and the humane society wouldn't take her.

A downer, I know.

--------------------
Bob Dole + The Green Lantern = BEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother asked her vet if dogs can feel grief. His answer was that they don't, but they can miss someone. In a way, it's their world that's upset and out of order and they get confused.

I think that's a difficult grey area, as his description is fairly close to grief.

Still, that's what he said.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To define whether pets feel grief, you have to define grief. Surely grief is the emotion we feel when something is suddenly taken from us leaving an empty space and our world is upset? If the feeling of missing someone is intense or prolonged, then that is grief.

Some animals feel grief. The closer their relationship with the missing person, the greater the feeling of loss. As humans, we don't like to admit that some animals share similar emotions to ourselves - to accept taht fact would be to accept that we are merely intelligent animals.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a pair of Guinea Pigs that had been together from birth and were fairly old. We had them for several years. Any time they were seperated at all (like playing in the yard) they would whistle and call each other like mad. When the female died, the male went nuts; whistling and calling and looking everywhere for her. He rarely ate and would not play. He died within the week. We were heartbroken and always said that he died of a broken heart.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was little, my parents had a big black Persian. I can just BARELY remember him. Father got a new job and we had to move halfway across the country and would be living for the first year in an apartment that didn't allow pets. They gave Smudge to a neighbor.

Smudge, we were told, just STOPPED. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't play, wouldn't do anything. Then he died; the vet did an autopsy, but could find nothing organically wrong. My parents were always sure that it was of a broken heart.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, we had two cats named Little Putty and Smokey. They were outdoor cats, and in cold weather, they'd stay warm by sleeping in the window wells, taking turns being on top. When Smoky died, we found Little Putty lying on top of him, apparently trying to keep him warm.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BSSoxFan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BSSoxFan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First time poster, I saw this thread and realized I wasn't alone and figured this was a good place to have my first post. Last year, our old, beloved cat K.K. died at 12. Our younger cat Bitty adored K.K. and followed him everywhere throughout the house and played with him everyday. After K.K.'s death Bitty became completely non-social, a drastic change from her normal self, and spent most of her time under beds, couches, etc... only coming out to eat on occassion. We became really worried about her, and even though we didn't lose her, it took about 9 months for her to get back to normal, so I fully believe in animal's suffering from broken hearts after seeing this first hand.
Posts: 3 | From: Chestnut Hill, MA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can totally believe this. Every time my mother, who is my dog's primary caretaker, leaves the house, Gigi whines and lies at the window waiting. And when my mother leaves to go to Norway or anyway for extended periods of time, Gigi slinks around and requires excessive amounts of petting. Each time she sees suitcases, she gets depressed and lies around.
She has an intense fear of thunder, and we think it is because there was a loud clap of thunder one night while my mother was in Norway.
Pets may not die of a broken heart, but they can get depressed and waste away.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to have this small dog called Chelsea...we had another larger dog she was friends with but for some reason she bonded with my Dad

She would follow him everywhere...if he was cutting hay in a field she'd folow the tractor around all day even if it was over 100 degrees out until he was done...if he was outside she was right there with him...if he was inside she was sitting no more than 5 feet away from wherever he was sitting

He never fed her nor do I believe he ever petted her a half a dozen times in her entire life but still she loved him

Five winters ago he passed away...she would come to the barn and check out the front of the cows and the aisle every 15 minutes to see if he was there...she'd check out all the other buidings looking for him...when she couldn't find him she'd lay in the aisle as I was milking and wait

She waited all day on the porch in the cold for him to come home...she refused to come inside...at the evening milking she'd come with me and check out the barn multiple times...after milking she'd come in and wait by the front door for him...this went on for five days

One morning I got up to milk about 4:30am and she was "sleeping" in front of my bedroom door...I started down the stairs and she didn't move...I called her and when she still wasn't moving I came back up and patted her head and it was then I saw she was dead

She was only 10 years old...we had kids in our household and another dog but when my Dad died she didn't want to live without him...she just went to sleep and never woke up again

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add to the general sadness...but also as a sort of "heads up":

Cute little rodents called " degu " ( a type of kangaroo rat)

-
can be purchased individually, but NEED the company of other degu to live. Alone they get very neurotic and die in a few weeks. In they wild they must be extremely gregarious and colonial.

I always tell people, if they want to have degu, buy a bunch, and a BIG cage. More degu = more fun, anyway.

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agghhhh! Degus are the devil. I had four once. That four quickly became 28. And they fought all the time. They were horrible to each other - I had several who were maimed and even killed by cage-mates. And they ate their babies. And they were constantly getting out of the custom-made wire cage that I had made for them. And they smell horrible.

I hate degus.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another sad pet story to add to the pot:

I have 2 male ferrets, Hobbes and Monkey. My boyfriend and his old roommates shared 4 ferrets, they all moved out and split them up and we got those 2 and they kept the other 2, a female named Ani and a really cute pure white male named Merlin.

Last summer, my BF's roommates went on vacation a lot and we babysat the other 2 ferrets quite a bit. We noticed that our ferret Monkey spent a lot of time with theirs, Ani. They would fall asleep in their hammock spooning, chase each other around, lick each other's faces. You could tell they loved each other. Then we noticed something was wrong with Ani and we pointed it out to my BF's old roommates but they ignored us. We think she had an intestinal blockage, but we never found out. A few days later, Ani died. When this happened, Monkey was no longer Monkey. He moped, he slept a lot, he'd walk into a room and just stop and lay flat down in the middle of the floor with the saddest expression you could ever imagine a ferret having. He was healthy though.

A week passed and he was back to normal.

It's common knowledge that ferrets need companions in order to be mentally healthy and once they become "bonded," it's not advised to split them up or it can be devestating for them. So it would not surprise me if things like this happened with other pets too.

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
t_chelle16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t_chelle16     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We recently lost one of our kitties (Tennessee) to lung cancer. She and one of the other kitties (Romeo) were absolute best friends. When we brought her home to be burried, we had her laying in a cardboard box (her toy box) in the livng room while we dug the hole. When I came in to get her, I found Romeo laying in the box with her. In the following weeks, he was severely depressed. If it weren't for the other kitties forcing him to play, he probably would have died of a broken heart. It's been about a month and he's just now starting to perk up.

Also, about a year ago we had a 20 year old cat (Chester) and a 17 year old cat (Lizzy). Chester started going into kidney failure and really went down hill in the span of a week (our incompetent previous vet put him on the wrong meds [Mad] ). He started just staying in the bathroom and during the whole time, Lizzy never left his side. The day he died, we had to take Lizzy to the vet that morning for a checkup. She was normally the sweetest cat ever and would never show any signs of anger of aggression, but that day she was hissing, growling, and swatting at everyone because we took her away from Chester and she knew the end was near. After Chester died, Lizzy went into severe depression and let her cancer take over (she'd had it for years with no real symptoms). She died a month (almost to the day) later (during that month, we were constantly taking her to the vet and she held a grudge against him because we took her to him the day Chester died).

Posts: 15 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I had a rabbit once that was very very attached. He liked playing with his little chew toys and he'd scratch at the back door to be let in jsut like a dog would. He loved following us around the kitchen, and like msot pets would annoyingly end up under our feet. He even used to pull the doggie gates down (no easy task) and would hope back to us.

We left him once for over a week in the care of very sweet very knowlegable neighbors who most likely spoiled him silly. But they said he moped around and acted depressed. When I got back he was happy again but rapidly deteriorated. Upon taking him to the vet it turned out to be snuffles. Sometimes I wonder if the stress weakened his immune system. :/

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it wasn't exactly of a broken heart, but...
I had two rats who were not siblings but I always called them sisters because they were together for most of their lives.
Both my rats just died, within two weeks of each other. Kei passed away a little over 2 weeks ago (5/25), she was sick for a couple of weeks, the vet thought she might have allergies or a respiratory infection, but an x-ray showed an enlarged heart. She got weak very suddenly one day and died, and the vet thinks she probably had congestive heart failure/a heart attack...
My other rat Cara has had pneumonia for over 6 months. Right before Kei died we had started a new regimen of meds for Cara and she seemed to be getting better... A few days ago Cara just got worse suddenly, started breathing like she was before the new meds, became very weak... She died on 6/6. She died of the pneumonia but both I and her vet think she sort of "gave up" after Kei died, and that is why she succumbed...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alex

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alex   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two ferrets, Stitch and Odie, who have been together nearly their whole lives - we got Odie about two weeks after Stitch, and they've been hammock-mates since that first day. Last year, when we took them to the vet for vaccinations, Stitch had a reaction and was given a lot of Benadryl. She was very drowsy and puffy for a while, and Odie was incredibly sweet with her, grooming her face and being more gentle than I'd ever seen him. After watching her at the vet's office for half an hour, we took the ferrets home, and within five minutes, Stitch began vomiting and crying loudly. We rushed her to an animal hospital, leaving Odie in their room in the rush, and they kept her overnight to give her fluids and run some tests. I was very upset, and upon arriving home, discovered Odie was even worse off than I was.

He was very needy, pawing at the gate to their room anytime I tried to leave him alone, but when I picked him up, he'd just lay there. I offered him treats, which he's typically willing to knock Stitch over to get, but he didn't react to them at all. Back in his room, he wouldn't eat or drink - all he would do was lie at the gate and watch everyone with sad eyes. I ended up holding him and crying for most of the day, just to offer us both that little bit of comfort.

Thankfully, Stitch recovered just fine, and when she came home the next day, Odie immediately returned to his normal self, albeit more gentle with her than usual. He played with toys, but didn't roughhouse with her at all, instead opting to lick her shaved leg (for an IV) and cuddle with her. When she slept, he even stayed awake next to her and guarded her carefully - seriously, he wouldn't let anyone near her while she was sleeping. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

They're both happily together now, and doing well. I dread the day that one of them passes, both for myself and for the other ferret. Hopefully, though, that won't come for a long time yet.

--------------------
1/2 of Fox & Crane
Revivify || Fantabulous || Destined

Posts: 18 | From: Pasadena, California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mairzydotes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mairzydotes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mairzydotes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three of my rats died within three weeks of one another. One died, then its first and closest companion passed away, and then the second rat's daughter died. I'm certain it wasn't a disease, because I had many other rats, some in the same cage that were not affected at all.

--------------------
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that. -Emo Philips

Posts: 36 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bluecat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluecat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:
3)My mom's dog learned that a suitcase meant mom was going to be gone for a few days. Muffy would burrow under the clothes mom packed, and actually got closed in the suitcase once. While mom was gone, Muffy would pee in mom's slippers.

my parents' cts do this. without the peeing in the slippers. when i come home to visit, they're very aloof for the first day (even for cats), then love me. my mother tells me they sleep in my bed and stare out the windows facing the driveway, waiting for me to come home. breaks my heart to hear that.
Posts: 3 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxGunnar   E-mail MaxGunnar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the book "In the Company of Wolves" one of the pack mates an "Omega" the one that feeds last and is picked on by all the others, was killed by a mountain lion. The pack was clearly distraught and moped about for months. I truly believe if I were to fall over dead my 4 German Shepherds would mourn and cry for about a week.

And then eat me [Wink]

Posts: 283 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend was hit by a car a few weeks ago and died in hospital as soon as he got there. His parrot seems to realise he isnt coming back, and spends all day looking at the memorial by his cage.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
recent article from our local paper, the Bloomington, IN Herald Times

You have to subscribe to register, so I'll just put in a snippet:

Bereaved duck dies weeks after its mate
Bell Trace duck Heckle was found dead in her pen Tuesday

By Dann Denny
331-4350 | denny@heraldt.com
June 10, 2006

Two weeks ago, Heckle may have seen her soul mate, Jeckle, killed by a predator just outside her pen near the Bell Trace pond, where Heckle was being kept until a splint-like device on her surgically repaired leg could be removed.

Fearing the predator might return to slay Heckle, Jon Vestuto — Bell Trace’s assistant maintenance manager, who had built the pen for Heckle — transported the bird to WildCare Inc.

That’s where Heckle stayed for 13 days, until she was found dead in her pen Tuesday morning.

“It’s a real mystery,” said Bob Foyut, a WildCare board member in charge of raptors and water fowl. “She seemed to be doing fine, but for some reason, died during the night. No one knows why.”

Vestuto has a hunch.

“I think she died of a broken heart,” he said. “I think she missed Jeckle.”

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My granddaughter and I stayed with Mom for a week after Dad died. I was sitting in Dad's chair a lot (my siblings were there most of the week, too, and there weren't any other chairs.) Mom and Dad's cat would stand in the middle of the floor, stare at me and meow. Loudly. After a few minutes, she walked away. They came back a while later. Lather, rinse, repeat. She's looking for Dad, I think. And she's upset that I'm not him!

I don't think she'll pine away. But she's definitely looking for Dad.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that they do mourn. My dad's cat (his favorite, anyway) ran away after my dad died. The cat didn't die though, at least not right away-- several months later he showed up out of nowhere, came in, checked out the house, and left again. For good. [Frown]

When I was a kid my cat Stripe ran away while I was at summer camp. I always wondered if he went looking for me.

Then, quite recently, we had a pair of sister kitties pass away within months of each other. One died in October of 2004, the other died in July of 2005. I had a feeling that, since they were incredibly close, that once the first one passed away, the other wouldn't be far behind. I hate that I was right. [Frown] [Frown]

I still miss 'em. They were special little girls. If they'd lived, they would have been 10 this year.

*Sigh*

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Genetic Mishap
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Genetic Mishap     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who has two female Gaboon Vipers. It was getting difficult to feed them both while they were in the same cage, so they were separated. The big one, Thelma, started roaming her cage constantly (normally they're very sedate) and wouldn't eat. Louises' cage was moved closer to her so they could smell each other. Thelma's eating again but she still roams...

Snakes have feelings too!

--------------------
Genetic Mishap...when Darwin's Theory meets Murphy's Law.

Posts: 47 | From: Lamar, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Whaler on the Moon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whaler on the Moon   E-mail Whaler on the Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I first heard something like this from my grandmother. It seems my uncle had a guinea pig. When he went on vacation for a month the guinea pig just stopped eating and stood miserable in the cage. By the time my uncle returned, it was dead. She used to remind my grandfather of that when i wanted to take my cat with me to their place. He later grew fond of my cat and it stopped being a problem.

Not a death (thankfully), but when my other cat was operated, the vet sent her home earlier, as the cat refused to eat and according to the vet was traumatized by being away from the people she trusted.

--------------------
A cat shall lead the dumb, and the dumb shall rejoice. But of course, they shall misspell their banners. - Get Fuzzy

Posts: 41 | From: Lisbon, Portugal | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laser Potato
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laser Potato     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Larger cockatoos and cockatiels actually DO exhibit self-destructive behavior (feather-plucking, refusing to eat, etc.) whne they can't find companionship, and eventually die. Can that be considered "dying of a broken heart"?

--------------------
I want a lawyer! I want a doctor! I want a cheese sandwich!

Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend's dad had a young border collie called Rusty. When Rusty was about 13 months old, My boyfriend's dad died very suddenly. Rusty kept whining at the bottom of the stairs to get into his room (where he had died) and would wait for him to get home. Eventually they let Rusty into the bedroom to see that he wasn't there. He stopped eating soon after and wouldn't move. He then suffered a stroke and had to be put to sleep. The vet said he had just pined away and given up.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We visited a cat sactuary while in Rome last month to see the cats and make a donation. The volunteers at the sanctuary said the cats are often dropped off by their owners for various reasons and, though many become socialized and hang out outdoors, others never leave their beds or hiding places; they just wait for their owners to come back. These kitties don't live very long unless they accept that they are shelter cats and adapt, but many don't. The shelter's website is here.

While we were away, our own three cats stayed with my husband's parents. Our friendliest cat adjusted right away and made herself at home. Our shy boy cat eventually began to adapt, though he was nervous. Our sweet little black kitty, though, who was so outgoing when she adopted us at the shelter, hid under a chair the entire time we were gone (over three weeks), only coming out for food and occasionally letting MIL pet her. FIL said he didn't see her at all in almost a month. She was so happy when we came back and took her home--she purred like crazy for days.

Finally, in regard to the suicidal pets, my husband had a cat when he was young who walked out into traffic and was killed right after being castrated. His family says the cat must have been suicidal after losing his man-bits because he had never gone out into the road before despite living next to busy highways for years.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages