snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Drowned ospreys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drowned ospreys
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Ospreys are fish-eating hawks that plunge feet first into the
water to catch fish. Is is true that occassionally an osprey will latch
onto a fish that is too big/heavy for it to lift from the water and ends
up drowning? Supposedly, these birds have feet that "lock" into their
prey and fishermen sometimes catch fish with the remnant bones/tendons
still locked into the back of the living fish.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BullNFBSK. If the fish is too big for them to get airborne, they drop it.

I've seen it. Ospreys are cool. [Smile]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen plenty of ospreys go down into the water and come up either with a carryable fish or with no prey, but I've never seen one go down and not come up. Of course this doesn't mean they couldn't ever get harmed by their prey or snag on something under the water.
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinda a cool image, but problematic (of course). If the claws lock up, how does the bird ever release its prey to eat it?

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be the accepted norm that Ospreys are prone to being lumbered with too heavy a fish. It seems they have been known to swim to safety, be rescued by firefighters with fish still in their talons and even skeletons of the birds being recovered still attached to fish - if it's a legend it's a deep-seated one...

The claws don't 'lock' Dogwater, they have scales that act as barbs so the fish is stuck fast in it's grip, which i'm sure it has no problem removing under normal circumstances but I guess it's feasible that from time to time they get too good a grip and cannot free themselves before the weight of the fish causes the bird to hit the water - it would only take a second or two to occur and by this time it may well be too late. Interesting stuff...

Cool shot.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
...The claws don't 'lock' Dogwater, they have scales that act as barbs so the fish is stuck fast in it's grip, which i'm sure it has no problem removing under normal circumstances but I guess it's feasible that from time to time they get too good a grip and cannot free themselves before the weight of the fish causes the bird to hit the water - it would only take a second or two to occur and by this time it may well be too late. Interesting stuff...

Oh, I assumed that they didn't. I was trying to pose a question directed at the OP. In other words...OK, nice rumor, but if they lock so much that the bird is dragged to its death-- as the OP claims -- how would they ever unlock? My attempt was to discredit that idea.

Dog-- posting under the influence of cough syrup again -- water

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages