snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Beware of pigs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beware of pigs
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Okay. So I've heard the following claim many many times: more
people are killed by pigs than by sharks. I know, without a doubt, that
sometimes pigs kill people (I knew a man who had a stroke and was eaten by
his porcine pets). However, it seems that in current times, when farming
is so consolidated and fewer people actually deal with pigs, the numbers
would be greatly reduced.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giant Communist Robot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giant Communist Robot   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been reading about shark attacks lately and can add this site

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/worldwidefatalityrate.htm

which says 385 fatal attacks from 1900 to 1999. Fatal shark attacks.

So what's the data on pig attacks?

Posts: 63 | From: Aiea, Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the term "pigs" extend to wild boars and hogs? I know those can be VERY nasty.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this include people killed by overconsumption of pork products? [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about those shot by the police? *ducks*
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dfresh:
How about those shot by the police? *ducks*

[fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish]

Signora Del "Members of my family are/were police officers." Drago

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
Does the term "pigs" extend to wild boars and hogs? I know those can be VERY nasty.

They can indeed, but they're also very shy, so if they notice you, which they probably do long before you notice them, in most cases they swiftly and silently vanish away.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: {snip} (I knew a man who had a stroke and was eaten by
his porcine pets) {snip again}

Then I guess he wasn't really killed by pigs. Of course, you could cite that one guy in Hannibal.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Animal enemies: Myth vs. reality

(Bambi kills the most humans.)

It's telling that pigs aren't mentioned.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I got bitten in the foot by a pig a couple of weeks ago...but since my foot was flat on the ground, she (yes I'm sure ti was a female) couldn't really get a grip on it, so no real harm done.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages