snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Cow-tipping myth hasn't got a leg to stand on (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cow-tipping myth hasn't got a leg to stand on
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the report fatal injuries in farming in Britain 2004/5

Three people were killed by farm animals. One was struck and trampled on by two bulls, another was knocked to the ground by a cow and the other person was trampled over by a herd of cattle.

ETA: More examples of the dangers of cows:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4091126.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/3042655.stm

It seems that cows can be very aggressive when protecting their young, as are most animals.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When visiting a very rural area as a teenager I went, to watch only, with some guys intent on tipping cows.

I ended up sitting on a wooden fence laughing as they chased some very annoyed cows, who just mooed and trotted away whenever the guys got near.

Also, one guy slipped in a cow pie and fell [lol]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I used to engage in cow-tipping all the time. Sure it was dangerous, but it really annoyed the cow.

But enough about my ex ... [fish]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DakotaPride
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotaPride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ieuan ab Arthur:
Hi All:

Those people at UBC obviously have too much time on their hands. [Big Grin]

I have always loved the notion of "cow tipping." I can just picture it in my imagination. It's a dark, still night. There's no wind to russle the leaves. No sound at all can be heard across hill and dale. Not a solitary bleat or peep. Total peace and tranquility.

All of a sudden:

{sound of someone running nearer}
Uggggh!
Moooooo!
Thud!
Hee hee hee hee!
{sound of someone running away}

Mother always said that I had a warped sense of humour [lol]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "But I can still tip sheep, can't I?" ab Arthur

We have cattle, and when ever I think of this statement, I still laugh.
If I find anyone that thinks they can cow tip, I usually tell them to come on over, and after they tip a cow, we can go snipe hunting.. [lol]

Posts: 212 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can say that as a young lad of 14 or so, that I went cow tipping in rural Northern Wisconsin. The guys I went with did so on a quasi-regular basis. The day after I hurt like hell (ever tackle a NFBSKing wall?).

Then the next week I ran into the daughter of the cows' owner. She was quite upset about the unknown jerks that had hurt their cows, and that they almost had to put one down because of the damage.

I never went back again.

So, I know first hand - or shoulder rather - that it happens, or at least happened some thirty years ago... and in Northern Wisconsin.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pariah
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariah   E-mail Pariah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The students at the University of British Columbia made a fatal error in their assumptions.
They assume a perfectly rigid cow instead of a flexible cow who's center of mass would be shifted when force was applied.

Posts: 1 | From: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the deal here is that cows can be knocked off their feet with enough element of surprise by enough people with enough brute strength. And cows and/or people can get hurt. Not exactly my idea of tipping. Sounds more like tackling.

Does cow tackling sound like as much fun?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it sounds like more fun! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is starting to sound a bit like bull fighting...

Blue "Olé" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cows aggressive? I think they're cute and cuddly. Well, cute anyway. I love going for country walks and often tramp through fields of cows.

I remember once walking through a field with about fifty calves (about a year old). As I walked I heard the patter of tiny hooves behind me. I turned round and there were all fifty calves following me. As I turned they all stopped.

I walked on. They followed. I stopped and turned. They stopped. It was like a child's game.

when I eventually reached the end of the field I climbed over the stile and there were all fifty calves trying to climb over. I began stroking their noses as the ones closest to me gave my lovely sloppy cow licks!

Magic.

I hope cow tipping is a myth. How anyone could do something awful to the gentlest creatures I know is beyond me.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If a cow senses a threat, either through it's own senses and via a herd, it will act aggressively to any unknown quantity as a natural response. My mate fell off his bike cycling through a dairy pasture once and was almost trampled, but that was down to his violent demise - you can safely stroll through British dairy herds without too much fuss, they are used to humans, but ever tried it at night? I once got caught in a bull's field taking a stoned short-cut through a field - I leapt out of the bull's field into the cows and only my rugby skills averted a pasting as I had to dodge two or three unhappy milkers [lol]

On a sadder note, I once saw a dog trampled to death in a beef herd - the dog spooked the animals as there were calves in the field...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having seen an enraged cow there is no way I would piss one off in an attempt to tip it over.

Some years ago I was walking by the river with my children and our dalmation pup. We stopped by a field, bounded only by some rickety metal fencing, to admire some big black and white fresian cows with their claves. The farmer arrived and we watched with interest as shooed all the cows out of the field except one mother and calf. He then proceeded to load the calf into a trailer at which the cow became very agitated and started bellowing like mad. After he drove off she careered round the field making the most awful noise until she stopped in her tracks having spotted our black and white spotted dog sitting quietly on the path beside us. I froze in terror (I'm very scared of cows) as she hurtled towards us...I had no faith that the flimsy railings would hold. Our poor little dog was so terrified he froze too...in his sitting up position until she was really close whereupon he just keeled over and passed out. I've never seen a dog faint before or since. We had to carry him home and ever after he jammed on his brakes if tried to walk that way. She was absolutely enraged and I don't doubt if we hadn't gathered up our dog and scarpered she would have trampled us.

I really don't like the thought of a bunch of drunks trying to tip over a cow for fun...if any try and get a good hoofing it's no more than they deserve.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had no faith that the flimsy railings would hold. Our poor little dog was so terrified he froze too...in his sitting up position until she was really close whereupon he just keeled over and passed out. I've never seen a dog faint before or since.
I know I shouldn't have done - but that made me laugh my ass off! [lol] Glad to hear you and dawg both survived this bovine ordeal [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have to say, once I got us to safety, I laughed my ass off too.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:

I hope cow tipping is a myth. How anyone could do something awful to the gentlest creatures I know is beyond me.

What, almost as bad as breaking their legs, keeping them in cages in the dark, stringing them up, cutting their necks and letting them bleed to death?

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up out west (US), heard FOAF stories of the great fun of cow-tipping, but never believed it could be done or that it was really much fun. Always equated it to snipe hunting.

RE: Agressive bovine behavior. As a young man (10-11) my father and I helped a friend on his ranch in the spring. He had a herd with quite a number of new calves and needed to take inventory. Each of the cows had a tag in their ear with a number on it. We drove around his fields looking for calves with no tags in their ears. When we spotted an untagged calf, we'd jump from the truck and the adults would wrestle the calf to the ground. My job was to pull the tag with the number that matched the calf's mother on it from a box and apply it to the calf's ear. When I asked how I would know which cow was the mother, they just laughed and assured me I'd know. As soon as they tackled the first calf, a cow bellowed and charged. I turned tail and ran as fast as I could from the half a ton of angry mother cow. I looked back when I heard laughter from my father and the rancher and saw the cow stop a few feet short and just stand and stare. I looked at the tag in her ear (large enough to be read from several feet away) and applied the matching tag to the calf. The mystery of how to know which cow was the mother was solved. What was my point? Oh yeah, cows can act agressively when protecting their calves, but these particular cows weren't brave enough to actually do damage other than scaring the NFBSK out of me the first time. I was no longer afraid of cows after that day. Bulls? Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mnot - I had a point when I began this post, really i did - r2

ETA - Edited to fix my outdated member status.

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muskrat Monroe
A View to a Krill

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Muskrat Monroe   E-mail Muskrat Monroe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone seen the trailer for the movie Barnyard?

In the trailer, the cows get sick of getting tipped and fight back (they break into a kid's room and push him out of bed).

But these cows have udders- and MALE voices!

That right there guarantees themovie will be crap- just like nearly any other computer animated movie that isn't made by Pixar.

--------------------
Someday I'll aquire wisdom, but for now, being a wise-ass will have to do.

Posts: 90 | From: the Michigan/Ohio border | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just Lisa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, with all the low-light-functional cameras today, one would think that *someone* would take a video of their cow tipping adventure and post it online.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a fairly rural area, and I also heard plenty of "cow-tipping" stories when I was growing up. My father grew up on a dairy farm, and he would swear up and down that cow-tipping was a myth. Well, he didn't say it was impossible, just that it would be extremely difficult to tip a cow, since the cow would certainly react. His response was always, "If someone tried to tip you over, would you just sit there and let them do it?"

But of course, we kids knew better. Our friend's friend's step-sister's cousin's nephew tipped cows all the time.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually went on a cow tipping expedition with my then SO and her brother back in rural Rhode Island. After practising by tipping an excessive quantity of beer, said brother (who was a self-proclaimed "expert") took a run at a very large cow. The result was him sitting in a pile of manure with a very confused and slightly pissed off (but definitely still firmly on 4 legs) cow staring down at him like he was an idiot.
Spewing cold beer out of your nose hurts.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shrek_Daddy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shrek_Daddy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shrek_Daddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie23:
I actually went on a cow tipping expedition with my then SO and her brother back in rural Rhode Island. After practising by tipping an excessive quantity of beer, said brother (who was a self-proclaimed "expert") took a run at a very large cow. The result was him sitting in a pile of manure with a very confused and slightly pissed off (but definitely still firmly on 4 legs) cow staring down at him like he was an idiot.
Spewing cold beer out of your nose hurts.

What did you say to him..YOMANPP(ants)? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We keep finding better ways to celebrate mediocrity"---Mr. Incredible

Assume at least one edit for typos..my keyboard and I fight alot :)

Posts: 275 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend in high school claims to have gone cow-tipping a few times. Of course, he's also a compulsive liar, so I take that with a whole shaker-full of salt.

But I, too, don't get how the article is supposed to disprove the notion. Whenever I hear a good cow-tipping story, it usually involves seven or more large guys. If "two people could tip a cow if they do it quickly", then seven ought to be able to do easily. I have yet to see compelling evidence that this is a myth.... but I would still like to see proof.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1958Fury:
. . . I have yet to see compelling evidence that this is a myth.... but I would still like to see proof.

But how do you prove a negative? It is just barely within the envelope of physical possibility that someone has actually done this. One can dream up a combination of circumstances -- lone cow in a pasture, eight football linebackers, hut one, hut two, everyone hits the cow at the same moment...

It's like "proving" that UFOs aren't spacecraft from other solar systems: how?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What did you say to him..YOMANPP(ants)?
I don't actually remember, but after we got done laughing I'm sure our opinions pretty much mirrored the cow's.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The physics of cow tipping are pretty simple. A mass (the heavier, the better), hitting an unsuspecting possibly moveable force, will take it down.

What the lighter folks did was take a 90-degree angle run towards the hind-quarters, blasting said sleeping bovine in the hip with a shoulder. The impact (if done with enough force), would force the cow off balance (zzz *snort* huh? WHA?!?!) and the ass end would fall over, followed by the rest of the cow.

The bigger guys would aim for either center mass or the front shoulder, which would be supported better.

You can only get one mass-tip per herd, as the bellows, lows and moos created by the assault awakens the whole herd and then they are on their guard... so you get half a dozen drunken kids out there, coordinate targets (it would suck for two kids to slam into both sides of the same target!), and send a signal to *ATTACK*!!! Then everybody laughs and runs off to find the car before the owner comes out with the shotgun loaded with rock-salt - or a .22!

Sometimes I wonder how in God's name I survived my childhood...

Charlie23, thanks for the support. I KNEW I couldn't be the only reformed tipper here! [lol] Now, how the hell did you end up in Bulgaria from Rhode Island? [Smile]

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diane G

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane G   E-mail Diane G   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up on a dairy farm and knew a great deal about cattle that my city-slicker new friends did not our freshman year of college. They did know that I was working at the large animal department of the Ag school and one Saturday asked for directions to some cows so that they could tip them. I gave them directions to a pen where 2 very old cows were penned. When my friends returned, they said that they never imagined that cows could be that mean and felt that I had directed them to especially nasty cows. Just think, I also knew where five cows that had just calved were penned and where the breeding bull was kept penned and tied.
Posts: 7 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never gone cow-tipping, but I did tip the family dog several times in my childhood. It's not nearly as easy as you think it would be, especially considering that dogs do not sleep standing up so you can really only take them when they're staring at a bird or something. Take that for what it's worth.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

quote:
Charlie23, thanks for the support. I KNEW I couldn't be the only reformed tipper here! Now, how the hell did you end up in Bulgaria from Rhode Island?

They told me the cows here were smaller [Wink]
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
According to the report fatal injuries in farming in Britain 2004/5

Three people were killed by farm animals. One was struck and trampled on by two bulls, another was knocked to the ground by a cow and the other person was trampled over by a herd of cattle.

ETA: More examples of the dangers of cows:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/4091126.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/3042655.stm

It seems that cows can be very aggressive when protecting their young, as are most animals.

I'm sorry, but the first thing in my head was the voice of my doctor saying, "I told you that beef wasn't good for your health!"

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in college at Northern Kentucky University. I went to a farm party in Pendleton County in which cow-tipping was advertised.

By the time we got around to the cow-tipping we were all a bit tipsy. Being drunk we were a little loud so by the time we got to the edge of the herdwe were heard. We couldn't tip an awake cow. They were all scared or something. Moing they almost woke up the people who lived on the farm, brother of the host.

BTW we were all biology majors.

Honey bunchin' "beleive it or not I'm actually posting this sober" Oats

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cow-tipping: Myth or reality?

Thursday’s edition of the Daily Press featured a story about holiday tipping – tipping the mailman, tipping the garbage collector, tipping the paper deliverer.

But what about tipping the cow?

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/features/local_story_349092342.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The result was him sitting in a pile of manure with a very confused and slightly pissed off (but definitely still firmly on 4 legs) cow staring down at him like he was an idiot. [/QB]
That must have been the worst part...having a cow looking down at me like I was an idiot would hurt.

I mean, have ya ever seen a cow?

On a side note, put me in the list of people who have been stupid enough to attempt to tip a cow. It makes me laugh that so many people have actually attempted this.

For me, there is no funny story to recount. I think we successfully sneaked up on the cow, who was isolated from the rest of the herd. However, the cow did not budge. It just mooed.

And that alone scared us so bad, we ran until we were in the next county. Of course, we had to go back for the car...

bjohn "it's easier to tip a bus" 13

Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in the country, so if cow tipping were as easy and fun as the legend says, you'd think I would know at least one person who had done it or at least one farmer who had been PO'ed by it. But, nope, I've never heard a firsthand story. Of course, if you've ever been close to a cow, you can easily predict how badly they could be injured by tipping (they'd land on their ribs, which I'd have to imagine would break in the fall), so maybe country kids aren't as willing to try it.

OTOH, my father swears he used to go cow-skiing. Get in a mucky pasture with a cow, grab her tail and scare her into running. Of course, my father has also been known to fib.

[Big Grin]
Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my husband tipped cows! *laughs and falls off the chair*
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Queen Mac
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queen Mac   Author's Homepage   E-mail Queen Mac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. As a current beef cow owner/shower on the 4-H circuit, I don't even want to think about someone attempting to tip one of mine over, and they're still in that awkward stage between being a calf and a full grown cow stage.

I mean, Rorschach and Stuart are both the tamest calves I've had in a long time, but they still wouldn't take well to a bunch of people attempting to shove them over. Well, Stuart might, but he's too lazy to care, but Rorschach wouldn't like it much. And those two are my tame ones. Ronald, Circe, and Hecate wouldn't like it at ALL.

Anyway, back on the actual topic...sort of. *Coughs* If you ever mention cow tipping around here, you're likely to get a bunch of rolled eyes and groans, considering almost everyone here is related to a farmer in some way.

--------------------
"STUPID COOKIES! I'M GOING TO EAT THEM TO HELL!" - Nick

Posts: 43 | From: Bicknell, Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages