snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » snake in sewer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: snake in sewer
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
is this for real?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4351490.stm

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see no reason to doubt the varacity of the story. Its possible that a snake could survive for that long.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything sounds on the up & up except for the part about boa constrictors living "close to rivers or swamps." To my knowledge, bc's prefer forests and grasslands to swamps. And "close to rivers" seems like a pretty vague expression - anything in the Amazon rainforest could be said to live "close" to a river.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking more about all the chemicals we pour down our toilets, lack of air, and the size of the snake in comparison to the pipes. Also does not the snake look rather clean just coming up from the sewer? And is it really The BBC site?
Maybe we could ask him if he met some crocodiles down there?

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the BBC, all right. All the links on the site work, and if you search hard enough you can link back to the article. And just to show it's not an internal BBC prank, here's an article from another source: http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/178/178159_toilet_snake_captured.html

As for the picture, I'm pretty sure it was staged with another snake. The video clip has an interview with the landlord in what I presume to be the bathroom in which the snake was caught. The toilet is a different color and not up against a wall like the one in the picture. Plus, I doubt that the tenant or the landlord would have had the presence of mind to snap a well-composed and focused shot of the animal while they tried to corner it.

As for the gross things going down the toilet, I can't think of much that would make it such a horrible environment. Maybe not the ideal home, but aside from some very diluted urine, feces, and occasional toilet bowl cleaner, it's probably not that toxic.

--------------------

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Rexodus:
It's the BBC, all right. All the links on the site work, and if you search hard enough you can The video clip has an interview with the landlord in what I presume to be the bathroom in which the snake was caught.

As for the gross things going down the toilet, I can't think of much that would make it such a horrible environment. Maybe not the ideal home, but aside from some very diluted urine, feces, and occasional toilet bowl cleaner, it's probably not that toxic.

I came accross this story just moments before I had to go away for couple of days - no time to follow up links, and my computer will not play the video.
Toilet cleaners are quite strong, but i guess they also get diluted. [Smile]

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this sentence
quote:
The occupier of the flat found the snake in his bathroom, the landlord placed a plastic bin on its side and the snake believed to be called Keith the python climbed inside.
Keith the python? I think I know that snake!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Why should anybody take the trouble to get another snake, to different toilet to fake a picture if they have a video of the real thing? And in any case to use a fake photo to depict particular event is not acceptable journalistic practice.
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Seraphina:
Why should anybody take the trouble to get another snake, to different toilet to fake a picture if they have a video of the real thing? And in any case to use a fake photo to depict particular event is not acceptable journalistic practice.

They had video of the real toilet, but not the real snake.

As for journalistic standards, I agree that it's a little disingenuous, but I've seen other media outlets do it: a story about a certain event might be accompanied by a picture of a previous similar incident, or even just a player in that incident. I've always thought it was pretty annoying.

--------------------

Stressed Nanny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stressed Nanny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it is absolutely possible for that to happen. My story is a little bit different, though. We were having a new septic system installed, and since i live in the country, we see about four snakes a week. The sewer lines that run from our house to our septic had sat empty for a few days since we werent living in the house that week and there was rain preventing the work from being completed.

a few days after we moved back in and the septic system was completed, a snake came up through my toilet. there were slither marks on the side of the bowl to prove it.

It was super icky and very scary.

--------------------
"Don't you see? You're not making Christianity better, You're making rock and roll worse." -Hank Hill to the Rockin' Preacher

Posts: 299 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by rds747:
it is absolutely possible for that to happen. My story is a little bit different, though. We were having a new septic system installed, and since i live in the country, we see about four snakes a week. The sewer lines that run from our house to our septic had sat empty for a few days since we werent living in the house that week and there was rain preventing the work from being completed.

a few days after we moved back in and the septic system was completed, a snake came up through my toilet. there were slither marks on the side of the bowl to prove it.

It was super icky and very scary.

[lol] I do believe that, but your snake was not a boa constrictor! Septic tank has unlimited fresh air supply, while city sewer system has S bend in the toilet bowl and i think some kind of valve somewhere which prevents the sewage going backwards.
I just cannot get the video to work for me, do you mean it it shows only an empty toilet!!!???? I spent half day yesterday downloading upgrades and restarting my computer only to get erorr messages and all to see a toilet? [Embarrassed]

Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Seraphina, you poor dear! You're really not missing much. There's an interview with the landlord and a bunch of scary "this-is-where-it-happened" shots of building interiors/exteriors, then one or two shots of animal control workers handling the snake long after its removal.

--------------------

Stressed Nanny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stressed Nanny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphina:
[lol] I do believe that, but your snake was not a boa constrictor!

Boa constrictor or not, i always check before I sit, now! [Smile]

--------------------
"Don't you see? You're not making Christianity better, You're making rock and roll worse." -Hank Hill to the Rockin' Preacher

Posts: 299 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages