snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Coca-Cola, rat killer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coca-Cola, rat killer
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A very safe poison for rats is Coca Cola. Rats love Coke. Rats
can't burp so they can expel the gas the coke creates, so...
I place a fresh Cola Cola in a clean white dish just before going
to bed. Rats love clean dishes. The Coke must be freshly opened
to have lots of gas, old Coke want work. Remove other animals.
Tho Coke is safe for other animals I recommend not to place the
coke where cats or dogs can drink it. This has worked very well
for me in our home.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I highly doubt it. From my experience (mostly handling mice, so I am supposing that rat physiology is similar), I have seen them sneeze, vomit, and most certainly fart. Rats shouldn't have any problem dissipating the CO2 from coke.

Also, they are very smart, so even if the gas were a problem, they would quickly learn to wait a couple of days before drinking (they are very patient and have no problem waiting for a food source to develop while forraging for another one.)

One trick that MAY be effective, though: put borax or some other toxic chemical in the coke. And DEFINITELY keep the kids & pets away from that mixture.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my 5th grade science class we did an experiment with rats, mostly to demonstrate the scientific method and the use of a control set.

We had two rats, and gave one a very strict diet of "recommended" rat foods, things like commercial rodent meal and pellets and other things like that, with plenty of fresh water.

The other rat got junkfood, pieces of candy bar, cheese, chunks of fruit, a little bit of water, and Coke.

Daily, we weighed them, measured their tails, guaged their energy levels and how shiny their coats were, and some other things I'm forgetting.

The difference over a month was pretty astounding, as you can imagine. A healthy, shiny, gregarious rat vs. a pudgy, lethargic, ugly rat.

Anyhoo, our teacher was very clear about making sure to leave the Coke out overnight before we served it to junkfood rat so that it would flatten, because "rats can't burp, and he might die if he drank carbonated soda."

I'm not saying that she was right about it or not, but there's another sightning, circa 1986.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its true that rats cannot burp, but they do fart. So expelling gas is not a problem. And I recently found out from personal experince that the carbonation won't kill rats. A couple of days ago while I was playing with my rats, Fuzz knocked over my bottle of Pepsi which turned out not to be capped tightly. Boo ran over and started lapping up the mess before I could get to a towel. I had heard that carbonated beverages are bad for rats, so I've been keeping a close eye on him. He's doing just fine. So, not a recomended diet, but not deadly.

I would say the reason Coke is keeping rats away (if the OP is true) is because they prefer Pepsi. Rats are very smart and obviously have great taste. [Wink]

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds like a new version of the pigeon advice (feeding x to them because they can't expell gas)

Actually the story is true, but the instructions are wrong.

1) Take a fresh bottle of 2 litre Coca Cola (and it has to be Coca Cola and not "Gun Crime Family Cola" etc

2) Open the bottle gently to make sure it keeps it's fizz.

3) With a knife and a sharp pair of scissors, cut around the top of the bottle, just where the bottle curves, so you have a circle about 4" diameter.

4) You will also need to tip away about 10 % of the bottle (Why not drink it?!) You should also remove the paper labeling from the outside (you may need to soak overnight to get the parts glued on)

4) Place the bottle full of coke against the wall in an area where you know rats will pass. Good places for me in the past have been just inside the garage door, or close to drain piping, such as the washing machine. Now just sit back and wait for the rats to come.

5) Take the rat by the tail and force it into the bottle head first. Keep it there until the bubbles stop.

Works every time.

[Smile]

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hug a Revolutionary
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It really doesn't make sense to say that any animal could die from taking in such small amounts of gas. All animals swallow air when eating and drinking, so all animals have mechanisms that allow them to safely rid their bodies of the gases.

NFBSK Coke anyway. Corporations suck and that crap is about as unhealthy as a drink can get.

...Okay, okay, I'll stop leaving my political views out of all of my posts.

[fish]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know my Grandfather always told my Mom that because he wanted her to stop drinking Coke. This was when I was a little kid (in the 1970s) and he also showed her how the Coke cleans the battery acid off of a battery connector.

She's still drinking Coke.

dam9191

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aranea russus:
This sounds like a new version of the pigeon advice (feeding x to them because they can't expell gas)

Actually the story is true, but the instructions are wrong.

1) Take a fresh bottle of 2 litre Coca Cola (and it has to be Coca Cola and not "Gun Crime Family Cola" etc

2) Open the bottle gently to make sure it keeps it's fizz.

3) With a knife and a sharp pair of scissors, cut around the top of the bottle, just where the bottle curves, so you have a circle about 4" diameter.

4) You will also need to tip away about 10 % of the bottle (Why not drink it?!) You should also remove the paper labeling from the outside (you may need to soak overnight to get the parts glued on)

4) Place the bottle full of coke against the wall in an area where you know rats will pass. Good places for me in the past have been just inside the garage door, or close to drain piping, such as the washing machine. Now just sit back and wait for the rats to come.

5) Take the rat by the tail and force it into the bottle head first. Keep it there until the bubbles stop.

Works every time.

[Smile]

The way my grandpa taught was quite effective, if not fun.

1) Take 1 (one) 2-liter of Coke (why waste a decent beverage?)

2) Beat the **** out of the rat with it.

You're way is a tad bit cleaner though.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Justaweebit

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I place a fresh Cola Cola in a clean white dish just before going
to bed.

So I'm assuming that now instead of a rat problem you have a helluva cockroach infestation...
Crablegz

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ligeia:
Its true that rats cannot burp, but they do fart. So expelling gas is not a problem. And I recently found out from personal experince that the carbonation won't kill rats. A couple of days ago while I was playing with my rats, Fuzz knocked over my bottle of Pepsi which turned out not to be capped tightly. Boo ran over and started lapping up the mess before I could get to a towel. I had heard that carbonated beverages are bad for rats, so I've been keeping a close eye on him. He's doing just fine. So, not a recomended diet, but not deadly.

I would say the reason Coke is keeping rats away (if the OP is true) is because they prefer Pepsi. Rats are very smart and obviously have great taste. [Wink]

I'd stay away from Coke if I were a rat, too. Now if it was Wild Cherry Pepsi.....
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the internet. Where else would you have an in-depth discussion of rat farts?

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend had a hamster named Wild Cherry Pepsi...
I'd tell you if rats preferred it but the cats got to it first...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
asnakeny, how the hell do you detect a mouse fart??

I may be wrong but I'm guessing it's not gonna be no post-curry, thunderous, stink fest?

Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The coke won't kill the rat, but it will remove rust from its bumper. [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Why Rats Can't Vomit
quote:
Rats can't vomit. They can't burp either, and they don't experience heartburn. Rats can't vomit for several related reasons: (1) Rats have a powerful barrier between the stomach and the esophagus. They don't have the esophageal muscle strength to overcome and open this barrier by force, which is necessary for vomiting. (2) Vomiting requires that the two muscles of the diaphragm contract independently, but rats give no evidence of being able to dissociate the activity of these two muscles. (3) Rats don't have the complex neural connections within the brain stem and between brain stem and viscera that coordinate the many muscles involved in vomiting.

One of the main functions of vomiting is to purge the body of toxic substances. Rats can't vomit, but they do have other strategies to defend themselves against toxins. One strategy is super-sensitive food-avoidance learning. When rats discover a new food, they taste a little of it, and if it makes them sick they scrupulously avoid that food in the future, using their acute senses of smell and taste. Another strategy is pica, the consumption of non-food materials (particularly clay), in response to nausea. Clay binds some toxins in the stomach, which helps dilute the toxin's effect on the rat's body.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love rats for this reason alone [Smile]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alkatr0z
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alkatr0z   E-mail Alkatr0z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know my Grandfather always told my Mom that because he wanted her to stop drinking Coke. This was when I was a little kid (in the 1970s) and he also showed her how the Coke cleans the battery acid off of a battery connector.

She's still drinking Coke.

Of course! A drink you can use to clean you battery terminals AND drink?? Coke.. Drink of a thousand uses..
Posts: 116 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My rex rat Ganesha loves eating and drinking pretty much everything I do, he'll even go as far as fighting me over a piece of candy. One of his favourite drinks is soda, and while I don't let him drink much, it hasn't hurt him a bit.
oh yeah, and rats most definitely do fart. and sneeze.

Picture of 'Nesha

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww Kai your rat is adorable! Funny, your username is similar to my rex rat's name-- her name is Kei (rhymes with 'sky'.)

Rat sneezes sound very cute... Thankfully haven't heard the other one though.
Here's my Kei

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angry Snail
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angry Snail     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwwww how cute are your rats!!

This is my rat, Mercury, she was the ruunt of the litter and is a lil bit smaller than what she should be.
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6785/mercury25na.jpg

She also drinks coke whenever I have it. She'll fight me for it. Normally only takes a few sips then sod's off, but she isn't dead yet!

Angry "rats are cool" Snail

--------------------
snails only mate once a lifetime, you would be pissed off too.

Posts: 97 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

My rats have never had cola so I don't know what their reactions would be, except probably "gimme!"
I'm very strict about their diet, heh...

p.s. Here's my other non-rex rat, Cara: http://www.chicagocanine.com/rats/caralooksm.jpg

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dam9191:

Water works better (and fish NFBSK in it).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages