snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Whale foreskin barstools

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whale foreskin barstools
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 504 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: OK, a friend of mine, also a Snopes fan, says in all earnestness
that the barstools on Aristotle Onassis's yacht were covered in whale
foreskin. Sounds fishy to me (no pun intended). Ever heard it before? Is
that even possible, let alone true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heavy B
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heavy B   E-mail Heavy B   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's true. And the best part is, if you rub them just right, they turn into couches!

--------------------
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Posts: 801 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Yatching-Greece.com, and many other links, it's true.

You don't have to take Heavy B's word for it.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heavy B
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heavy B   E-mail Heavy B   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

You don't have to take Heavy B's word for it.

Sara, I'm shocked...SHOCKED...that you wouldn't be willing to take as fact something that I, a fellow Snopester, posted on a public message board!

What is the Internet coming to these days? [Wink]

--------------------
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Posts: 801 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune chan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune chan   E-mail Kitsune chan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavy B:
Yes, it's true. And the best part is, if you rub them just right, they turn into couches!

YOMANK!
Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you get a job like that - removing whale foreskins to cover seats with?

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...the trick was finding enough Jewish baby whales in the first place.

"Oy, what a bris!"

(I'm pretty sure there's a Moby Dick joke in there somewhere as well!)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:

"Oy, what a bris!"

YOMANK

"...but he got to keep the tips so it was worth it."

--------------------

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:

"Oy, what a bris!"

Actually, this is from the lesser known book "Morrie Dick." You know...the one that starts, "Call me Ish-mohel..."

Never mind, I'll do it myself... [fish]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's terrible!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This foreskin story was mentioned (as a quiz answer) on the NPR radio show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". [Edited to correct radio show name! www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/archrndwn/2005/apr/050430.waitwait.html]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's not the whale sharks' skin at least. Speaking of which, I don't think that real whales have "that" either. Or am I wrong?
Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Setzer, real whales don't have what?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Setzer doubted that whales have that (not for British school whales).

He's wrong.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The discussion is not about whales' penises, which nobody can deny, but about wether they've got foreskins.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bunny
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is indeed true. I viewed a documentary recently where during a tour of the Christina the barstools in question were shown.

Here is another source that mentions the barstools:

quote:
ARIS BAR

Perhaps the most famous spot on board, John F. Kennedy first met Sir Winston Churchill in Ari's Bar in 1957. The intricately detailed bar contains barrels and sea chests hinting of pirate treasure, whaling harpoons and an illustrated wall map of the world. The circular bar itself was originally crafted from the timbers of a Spanish Galleon, wound with heavy sailing rope and is adorned with footrests and handholds of ornately carved whales' teeth. It features a glass top over a lighted relief of the sea, which depicts the development of ships through history with tiny model ships that can be moved around by magnets. The barstools are covered in whale foreskin, a fact that Onassis delighted in telling his guests.

http://www.yachting-greece.com/Onassis_yacht_Christina_O.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The barstools are covered in whale foreskin, a fact that Onassis delighted in telling his guests.
Of course, only after they've sat down. [Wink]
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

The only source is Onassis himself so it's hardly reliable evidence. You probably know people who exaggerate a little just for fun. What if the stools were covered with something similar, such as some other kind of whaleskin. So Onassis tells this story every time people come in his bar just to see their reactions, get a laugh, get people relaxed and talking. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's not quite true.

Some things to check: Did Onassis like to exaggerate or tell tales? Is there some part of the whale penis (yes, all mammals have them) that corresponds to a foreskin and does it have skin that could be used in this way? (Is there a whale urologist in the house?!) Is the story confirmed by anyone who would have knowledge of the stools, for example the company that made them?

Too many questions unanswered to call this one true.

VOODEWRAGE
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well they say the way they circumsize a whale is with foreskin divers. Get it? :-)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

And to that extent, aren't whales a protected species? If so, how would one be able to acquire the necessary material without possibly breaking the law? Usually when a dead whale washes ashore it looks more like a gelatinous blob (google "globster") than a whale.

--------------------

Ganzfeld

LittleDuck, whales have always been hunted legally (and illegally). There is a ban on hunting but certain species are still hunted by several countries as there are a few loopholes in the agreements.

We still get whale meat at our stores and restaurants. Not much, though. Japanese people my age and older remember having whale meat at school. So, when the yacht was made (sometime during his life 1906-1975), whale products were still quite common.

Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot recall whale skin being ever used for any purpose [Confused]

I think it is perfectly possible Onasis would say something like that to impress visitors to his yacht. I am not sure about them being put at ease though. Somehow I would not feel particularly relaxed sitting on a whale penis
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago I visited the Amsterdam zoo. Part of it was like a natural history museum with skeletons of elephants and whales and such.

On the wall there was a long piece of leather. The description gave it as "skin of a whale's penis -- the only piece of whale skin that can be tanned and made into leather".

So perhaps not so much whale foreskin as whale penis skin.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny thing, I'm reading a book right now about the winter months of circus life. They mention that when an elephant is killed it's penus is used to make wallets. I'm not sure why they don't use the rest of the animal though.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages