snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Critter Country » Dog food = road kill (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dog food = road kill
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Isnt dog food controlled to make sure they dont contain anything harmful for animals by request from groups like PETA or the humane siciety.

There's a group called AAFCO or something like that that conducts taste tests and sets nutritional standards. I think it's private, not governmental.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work for a pet food manufacturer (at the time, the largest producer by volume in North America). What goes into pet food is primarily corn meal. There is some meat, and we used mostly beef and chicken, along with some lamb and some fish.

I have never heard of any pet food manufacturer using road kill or rendered pound animals in their feed.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I used to work for a pet food manufacturer (at the time, the largest producer by volume in North America). What goes into pet food is primarily corn meal. There is some meat, and we used mostly beef and chicken, along with some lamb and some fish.

It depends on the food... Many dog foods don't even contain corn (or beef or lamb or fish etc...) Dog food has to have a certain amount of some type of grain in it, otherwise it would never hold together as kibble. However different foods use different grains such as oats, rice, wheat, corn, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
There's a group called AAFCO or something like that that conducts taste tests and sets nutritional standards. I think it's private, not governmental.

The AAFCO does produce guidelines for pet food, however companies are not required to follow them (most do, though.) The pet food companies themselves are responsible to perform testing of foods, not the AAFCO. If they perform certain minimum testing (very minimal, I believe it requires under 10 dogs eating the food for 6 months) they can state that their food "provides complete and balanced nutrition."

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

It depends on the food... Many dog foods don't even contain corn (or beef or lamb or fish etc...) Dog food has to have a certain amount of some type of grain in it, otherwise it would never hold together as kibble. However different foods use different grains such as oats, rice, wheat, corn, etc...

Nearly all commerically-produced, over-the-counter, sold at retail outlets contain corn. Brands such as Dog Chow and Ol' Roy (which account for something like 75% of all dry dog food sold in the US) are made with great deals of corn.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nearly all commerically-produced, over-the-counter, sold at retail outlets contain corn. Brands such as Dog Chow and Ol' Roy (which account for something like 75% of all dry dog food sold in the US) are made with great deals of corn.

Yes, the foods in grocery stores tend to contain corn. I don't look at the dog food there often (except to gross myself out) so I forget how popular it is... If you go to a pet store especially the smaller independent ones you will find most of the foods have no corn...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

Yes, the foods in grocery stores tend to contain corn. I don't look at the dog food there often (except to gross myself out) so I forget how popular it is... If you go to a pet store especially the smaller independent ones you will find most of the foods have no corn...
"Gross yourself out?"

It is amazing that most pet food owners feed their pets these feeds, and their pets are healthy and happy.

--------------------

just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 504 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you ever seen enough roadkill to make it commercially viable to collect?

I worked for the local fish and game department, they got calls about roadkill all the time. Sometimes the body went to a school for dissection and study, most times it was just bagged and put in the trash.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It depends on where you are and what animals you have in your area (and whether people collect roadkill for themselves!). If large mammals are frequent roadkill in a small enough area (e.g. where they cross a road that cuts through their range) it can be viable and a sensible alternative to landfill.

I collect some roadkill if it's fresh, though this is usually when I'm on a pushbike and it's easier for me to pull over and collect it. Pigeons, rabbits, hares and gamebirds are cooked for humans (deer would end up in the freezer, but there are very few deer around here). Squirrel and excess of the above is cooked and fed to the cats. At one point I also collected songbirds and small mammals for a local taxidermist to use (he supplied tableaux to school science depts and museums).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by just Lisa:

I know a few spots where in warmer weather you could bag between 10-20 pounds of road kill per road.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 09 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xia:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by AnglRdr:
[qb] "Gross yourself out?"

It is amazing that most pet food owners feed their pets these feeds, and their pets are healthy and happy.

Yeah, amazing ain't it?
I feed my critters Nutro Max. [Cool]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: D.E.L.T.A. animal shelter, Glendale, Calif. founder actor Leo
Grillo says euthanized pets are being ground up and fed to animals and
then we eat the animals... so we are eating sick animals with cancer and
that have been used for testing. Even road kill is used.
Any idea if there is truth in this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

The FDA looked into this. They tested thirty major dog foods and found no traces of cat or dog DNA. I can't find the link to the study right now.

DawnStorm, you must have belonged to the same pet message boards I did. They got so inane I stopped going there. I would try to offer my opinion, but I got mocked once for saying people aren't magnetic. Seriously.

Sister "loves dobies, by the way" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
surely it would cost more to run and maintain vehicles to look for scraps of meat than to get Grade Z leftover meat from the slaughterhouses.

Not to mention the possibility of killing pets through oil/petrol injestion

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
No.

The FDA looked into this. They tested thirty major dog foods and found no traces of cat or dog DNA. I can't find the link to the study right now.

DawnStorm, you must have belonged to the same pet message boards I did. They got so inane I stopped going there. I would try to offer my opinion, but I got mocked once for saying people aren't magnetic. Seriously.

Sister "loves dobies, by the way" Ray

DNA is destroyed by high temperatures, so that would not remove the possibility of deat cats and dogs being rendered for protein.

Of course, once you get that far along in processing, protein from any living thing is pretty much identical.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
surely it would cost more to run and maintain vehicles to look for scraps of meat than to get Grade Z leftover meat from the slaughterhouses.

Somebody has to pick up all those road killed carcasses along our freeways and roads. They all just don't decompose back into the soil.

This article speaks of the changes that have occurred in the rendering industry since Mad Cow Disease came on the scene. And yes, it comfirms that - at least up until 2001 - domestic dogs and cats were used in pet food.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Happy Horse Chestnut:
quote:

Somebody has to pick up all those road killed carcasses along our freeways and roads. They all just don't decompose back into the soil.

This article speaks of the changes that have occurred in the rendering industry since Mad Cow Disease came on the scene. And yes, it comfirms that - at least up until 2001 - domestic dogs and cats were used in pet food.

Isnt that part of the goverment locally that ensures highway safety???

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Happy Horse Chestnut:
quote:

Isnt that part of the goverment locally that ensures highway safety???
Yes, either Public Works for cities, or the Department of Transportation for animals on the highways or roads outside city limits.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BizzarroBuffy
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BizzarroBuffy   E-mail BizzarroBuffy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings from Ontario Canada; Road-Kill Capital of North America! (according to a previous post)On a recent trip I myself witnesses at LEAST 10 -15 pounds of roadkill!!! All free for the taking! WOW that oughta be enough for the thousands of pounds of dog food produced annually.Might even be enough to tide us over for the 10 months of winter we have here.Another great thing is most of the roadkill is pre-rendered right on the road itself.All you need is a big scraper to pick it up.(now you know why our snowplows are sooo big!)Forget about all those millions of chickens and rabbits and other meats being grown convienently on the farm and driven at the owners expense right to the abbatoirs' door!Bah! No much easier to step out on the 70 mile plus highways here to scrape up that flat skunk.
Posts: 31 | From: Bizzarro Ontario Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brendaal
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brendaal   E-mail brendaal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
from my understanding, most rendering plants turn up bone meal and/or fertilizer. i have heard this rumor before (having worked for animals shelters for 11 years). most of me wants to disbelieve it, but than i think of the mad cow hysteria where it comes out they were feeding cows (that are herbivore) other ground up cows (i think... i couldve read it wrong somewhere). part of me wouldnt put it past some of the dog food companies, which is why my dogs eat better than i do. i check ingredients. one of the first two ingredients should always be meat. and i mean no "animal byproduct", that could be ANY animal, but rather beef or chicken or lamb byproduct. i had a dog that was allergic to beef, so her formula had to have chicken or lamb only. if she ate an "animal byproduct" food she usually chewed herself raw bc it probly contained beef. usually the other is rice (as in lamb and rice formula). dogs are omnivores, and as such their foods should contain product other than meat, where cats are carnivores and thier foods should be a meat based. the aforementioned dog was also averse to corn. corn really has no dietary value for dogs, and is strictly a filler. mostly, people who feed their dogs corn based foods hate to clean up after thier dogs bc of the enormous amount of "waste" it produces.
hmmm, wow, when i get goin on pet related issues i really go... ill shuddup now =D

Posts: 48 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting fact :

In the UK it's illegal for cars which hit game to pick up the corpse and put it in their car. Prefectly legal for the car behind to pick it up though.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally I think that the 'dog food has road kill in it' is pure bunk.
You should check some pet message boards! Some dog owners have theories that make the John Birch Society look sane. Dog food contains road kill; dog food contains euthanized pound animals, many with flea collars still on; dog food gives your dog cancer, etc. How to stop all this? Feed your dog this holistic, natural food that's only available from maybe two places in the world, and costs a small fortune.

Another thing - this food always comes in tiny little bags. You either have to buy twenty at a time, or constantly rush back to one of the two stores that carries it.

There is "junk" foods for pets. I never said there wasn't, but there are also good foods that aren't 30-40 dollars a small bag. Meat should be the first ingredient, and there should be some sort of filler (it makes the food adhere and also works like fiber in humans) but the filler shouldn't be high up there. Some dogs have allergy problems, but that can be remedied by switching to another food (and there are turkey, duck, and venison foods as well as lamb to choose from).

Sister "will feed dog a good food, but not so good you can only buy one serving at a time" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
quote:
Feed your dog this holistic, natural food that's only available from maybe two places in the world, and costs a small fortune.

Another thing - this food always comes in tiny little bags. You either have to buy twenty at a time, or constantly rush back to one of the two stores that carries it.

There is "junk" foods for pets. I never said there wasn't, but there are also good foods that aren't 30-40 dollars a small bag. Meat should be the first ingredient, and there should be some sort of filler (it makes the food adhere and also works like fiber in humans) but the filler shouldn't be high up there. Some dogs have allergy problems, but that can be remedied by switching to another food (and there are turkey, duck, and venison foods as well as lamb to choose from).

Sister "will feed dog a good food, but not so good you can only buy one serving at a time" Ray

They don't all come in tiny bags... I get high-quality food for my dogs and I can tell you it's saved me a LOT of money in vet bills compared to what I was feeding before... When I go to the pet stores where I buy the foods I use (many stores in my area sell good dog foods) they have 40 lb bags or larger available for most of these foods...

--------------------

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For a minute there, I thought Joey Skaggs came back into the picture. [Razz]

Dogpile - Dog Food + Road Kill

quote:
10. Dog Food? What Are We Feeding Our Dogs?
Dead animals, road kill that cannot be buried at roadside, and in some cases, ... Does Your Dog Food Bark? A study of the pet food fallacy, by Ann Martin ...
www.pcoc.net/dog-food.htm [Found on Google, Yahoo!]

However if you change the search to "Dog Food"+"Dog Meat"

quote:
4. DeliciousDogs.com :: Because, let's face it, dogs are GOOD FOOD!
... differently. They argue that dog food has many medicinal values such as beefing up men's virility and improving women's skin. "Anyone can tell you that eating dog meat is very healthy,"...
www.deliciousdogs.com/ [Found on MSN Search, Yahoo!, Ask Jeeves]

oops wrong one... [Razz]

11. About Commercial Dog Food
This is why consumption cheap dog food consisting largely of grains, often leads to large, ... Dog meat? Cat meat? "Rendered product from mammal tissue"? ...
www.weim.net/riley/raw2.htm [Found on Google, Yahoo!]

edit

Here's another I missed in my search to add.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~carrielc/dogfoods.html

quote:
Dog Food Ingredients

Meat- The clean flesh of ANY slaughtered mammal. (Not likely in dry or canned pet foods unless from mammals that humans do not or will not consume such as diseased or condemned livestock, horse meat, dog meat, etc.) It may only be striated skeletal muscle, or tongue, diaphragm, heart or esophagus. It may include accompanying and overlying fat and portions of skin, sinew, nerves, and blood vessels that normally accompany the flesh. If a specific single type of meat is used, it must be defined, any combination of two or more allows "meat."

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that at one time horse meat was used to make dog food?
My boyfriend and I are having a small bet on whether this is true or not.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Horsemeat was indeed the primary protein in dog food, but this was discovered to be bad for tha animals, as allergies were common...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brendaal:
most of me wants to disbelieve it, but than i think of the mad cow hysteria where it comes out they were feeding cows (that are herbivore) other ground up cows (i think... i couldve read it wrong somewhere).

You didn't read it wrong. It was the practice of feeding cows to cows that spread the disease. Those darn cow cannibals. But in the US it was prohibited by the FDA in 1997 to limit the spread of disease. Mad Cow Firewalls

quote:
The third firewall is FDA’s 1997 animal feed ban, which is the critical safeguard to help prevent the spread of BSE through cattle herds by prohibiting the feeding of most mammalian protein to ruminant animals, including cattle.
Notice the ban only applies only to "ruminant animals."

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm surprised nobody mentioned this already, but the first restaurant i worked at when i was 15 had a 'grease dumpster' that contained all the hamburger/etc. grease that ran off the grill all day into a trap. i asked my boss about it and she said that a dog food company purchased the grease for making dog food. i can't imagine why she would make something like this up, but i've never looked into it, either. but all restaurants that have large, flat-top grills, or anything with a 'grease trap' will have a dumpster specifically for grease, and i've always assumed they existed for the purpose of making dog food.
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is Dog food, literally dog food?

My younger brother and I were talking about the Diamond Dog food story on
CNN and I mentioned that I feed my dog Iams. My brother responded with
"too bad they use the remains of euthanized dogs to make it." He said he
heard it from a friend of his (which made me skeptical, but now I want to
know where this rumor came from and what, if any, truth there is to it).
So, I hurried to the computer to see what I could find here at snopes.com,
but didn't find anything. I figure if any one knows or can find out--you
kids can! Please let me know, I dont want to be responsible for turning
my dog into a cannibal.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Some have recently been trying to convince me that the big-name
commercial dog food companies (in fact, all but a select few on an
"approved" list) use "ground-up deceased dogs" in the dog food that I buy
at the grocery store and pet stores.

Is this true? Or are these companies victims of animal activitists or
some other group with their own agenda? If it is not true, how did this
"rumor" get started and how can I prove it to be not true to the people
who are accusing me of ultimately causing my dog cancer and other
diseases?

Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it true that at one time horse meat was used to make dog food?
Probably true and I don't see a problem with it. If it's good enough for humans (makes a good smoked sausage to put on sandwiches), it should be good enough for dogs.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alicia lynn:
i'm surprised nobody mentioned this already, but the first restaurant i worked at when i was 15 had a 'grease dumpster' that contained all the hamburger/etc. grease that ran off the grill all day into a trap. ...snip... but all restaurants that have large, flat-top grills, or anything with a 'grease trap' will have a dumpster specifically for grease, and i've always assumed they existed for the purpose of making dog food.

Um...they exist for the purpose of preventing the massive buildup of grease in the restaurant's drains and sewer line. Lately, around here, they also exist to provide a few people with grease to produce biodiesel in their home "refineries". These folks fuel their cars with restaurant refuse. Cool, huh? [Cool]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think (I occasionally spend time actually thinking) that it would be OK to feed an animal anything they would eat if they were wild.

By that logic, there is nothing wrong with feeding your dog other dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, mice, rats whatever. Most carnivores are also scavengers and are perfectly happy with a carcass. Even animals that supposedly prefer fresh kills will eat a carcass it there is nothing else to eat.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WAFFLES [Eek!]

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
I would think (I occasionally spend time actually thinking) that it would be OK to feed an animal anything they would eat if they were wild.

Well, look at the health and life-spans of your normal wild canid (wolf, coyote, etc.) even without human slaughter. They don't live nearly as long as your average domesticated dog, for many reasons. Sure, your dog can survive on crap food. Humans can survive on hot dogs and canned juice. Don't mean they'll be healthy and live a long life. I feed my dog high quality pet food because it makes a notable difference in many areas of his health (coat, skin, teeth, digestive system). It has whole, organic meat as a 1st, contains no corn, and has plenty of fruit and veggies (which canids need.) He eats better than I do....

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In regards to road kill---

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1120754

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages