snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » College » Fraternity games

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fraternity games
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: After the first few weeks of college, rumors abound of "games"
that are played in fraternity initiations. recently, I had three brought
to my attention, and I wanted to know if you had ever heard of any of
them.
1. "Thumbs" - Thumbs is played a lot like musical chairs, except the
pledges walk in a circle with one thumb in their mouth and the other in
the pledge in front of them's anus. If you get out (or let the thumb
slip) you have to switch the thumb in your mouth.
2. "Soggy Biscuit" - Soggy Biscuit is where a group of pledges sit in a
circle while masturbating. As each one ejaculates, they do so onto a
biscuit, cracker, or piece of toast. The last one to do so has to eat the
"soggy biscuit".
3. "Greek Flamethrower" - A Greek Flamethrower is where the pledge puts
his mouth over the anus of another brother as he breaks wind. The pledge
then takes a lighter and expells the gas from his mouth causing a small
burst of flame.
Yes, I know, these are all disgusting. But with some of the stories that
you hear coming out of the fraternities, these don't seem too outlandish.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sandman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I remember reading about that "Soggy Biscuit" one, but it wasn't a frat prank. It was a game called "Last Off" and was supposedly played by sailors and pirates in the 1700's using hardtack. Considering what hartack tasted like, this may have improved it.

--------------------
"I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."

Posts: 308 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, to pine for the good old days, when "Fraternity games" meant beer hosing and dwarf tossing...

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a fratter - I can say that I have never even HEARD of these!! Lotsa drinking games, but never, NEVER anything sexual (unless you wanna include the Pledge Paddle).

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boss was just telling me about one he personally witnessed when he joined a frat in the 1980s. The pledges would have to scoot across a shallow pool on their rears in what supposedly was an "easy" task. A couple of minutes later, they would find their skin in delicate places burning because something, I think cayenne pepper, was mixed into the water.

Another was to place them in a chair. The carpet under the chair held ground glass. The pledge was to answer questions about the frat, and if they got one wrong, they had to stomp their feet on the carpet. Of course, they were blindfolded after viewing the carpet and couldn't see that as soon as the blinders went on, another square of carpet, this one holding potato chips, was placed over the glass.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Soggy Biscuit" as a ritual - German Army in this case - was once used in a particularly bad "courtroom murder mistery" in TV I head the great pleasure to switch away from. Still, though I doubt those things happening in any greater organizations (unless the whole crew wants to get fired), I wouldn't say things like these could not happen, and do, in smaller "circles" of "friends".

Ulko "I prefer dry biscuits, thank you very much" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soggy biscuit is a quite common military story, but as usual the people I know only have heard of a friend of a friend doing it.
Greek Flame Thrower seems unlikely since though the stories of lighting farts are rife only a percentage of the population (can't remember how much but under 50%) can produce enough methane in the escaping gas to be able to actually ignite it.

P.s. Through thorough scientific testing in my teen I can tell you I am not one of them.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
As a fratter - I can say that I have never even HEARD of these!! Lotsa drinking games, but never, NEVER anything sexual (unless you wanna include the Pledge Paddle).

I was a social Greek. I'd heard of the first two, but not the third, via National Lampoon. I'd never heard of them otherwise.

Hazing was strictly prohibited both by the school and by our National. There was no forced drinking, no physical abuse, and certainly nothing sexual.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Thumbs" I've heard of, but as a completly different drinking game that has nothing to do with anuses. It's a popular drinking game, and is basically the same as the card game "spoons." One person puts their thumb in their mouth and as soon as you see them do it, you do it too. The last person to do it has to drink. Sounds pretty tame in light of the above.

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd heard of the first two from an old hippie radio host I used to know. But they were FOAF stories even from him. The one story I do remember him personally claiming is throwing a watermelon from the house roof through the convertible top of his RA's car. But that wasn't part of a game; he just hated the guy.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
Another was to place them in a chair. The carpet under the chair held ground glass. The pledge was to answer questions about the frat, and if they got one wrong, they had to stomp their feet on the carpet. Of course, they were blindfolded after viewing the carpet and couldn't see that as soon as the blinders went on, another square of carpet, this one holding potato chips, was placed over the glass.

This one shows up in National Lampoon's Van Wilder, although it looks like they're using tortilla chips, not potato chips.

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soggy biscuit is known from the Swedish army as well (it's called runka bulle in Swedish), but as I haven't served I have absolutely no first hand knowledge about it whatsoever.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a difference between "hazing" and "Initiating?"
To me, I see nothing wrong with a group using the "chip" prank. No one gets hurt and it could also be benificial - The pledge shows his trust in the brithers and in return learns that that trust is well placed.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
To me, I see nothing wrong with a group using the "chip" prank. No one gets hurt and it could also be benificial - The pledge shows his trust in the brithers and in return learns that that trust is well placed.

There's a big difference between hazing and initiating. Hazing is a sadistic practice that causes physical or mental harm to the pledge. Most of the "hazing" I went through in fraternity was nothing more than trust building and brotherhood exercises. We did a lot of things to implement the idea of sharing the "burden of brotherhood". For example, the pledges would have to spend 24 hours with 3 foot pieces of rope binding them together at the ankles. At the ends of the chain, two active brothers would volunteer to join them. This was an exercise in working together. Nothing took place during the pledge period without at least one active joining in the activity. This was done to ensure that nothing got out of hand.

As for initiation, any real fraternity member would tell you that the initiation ritual is a very somber occasion with no hazing involved. We often had members from other chapters or the national office come to watch our intiation ceremonies. The ritual is the foundation of the values held by our fraternity, and is held very seriously by the members.

If I have any problems with fraternity, it's the national office constantly sucking money out of the members, both in school and alumni for purposes unknown. Also, my fraternity is based in the south, and those chapters in a few select states seem to get preferential treatment when problems arise. The national office is very quick to revoke charters from chapters on the west coast (of 10 California chapters from my college days, 8 have been shut down -- mostly for not recruiting enough dues paying members).

Is there drinking in fraternities? You betcha! Is there drinking on college campuses outside the greek system? You betcha! Being in a fraternity taught me things like being part of a team, time management, money management, responsibility in study habits, responsibility in a drinking environment (we always collected keys at the door and had a staff of drivers at our parties) and conflict resolution skills.

Yep, I definitely feel scarred from having been a member of the greek system.

I do think that a number of fraternities do let things get out of hand (including some chapters of my fraternity). I do not think that this is indicitive of the system as a whole. It really irks me to tell people that I was in a fraternity only to have them assume that I was sticking my thumb up the rectum of a sheep while drinking its blood.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:

Hazing: Lots of weird stuff that people would not ordinarly contemplate doing, but they do anyway.

Initiation: sumowrestling in the anti-grav. force feeding of jello. shaving of naked molerats. whipped cream. invisibility. throwing of biscuits. oh. and ... the pirate.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LarrySDonald
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LarrySDonald   E-mail LarrySDonald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Serving in the Swedish army (as required at the time) I heard of Runka Bulle, sometimes called Runkbullen, a few times. No one actually played it as far as I know, there were no seriously sexual games going on (besides the usual banging of all local women who would put up with it as is the practice of armies everywhere I expect). There was certainly a lot of talk an inuendo, but I never really saw anything very deprived going down. I also recall a brief skit on TV regarding Runkbullen, the punchline was that the last two were very close, one grudgingly admitted to loosing, accepting his fate, but was grudgingly contradicted by the runner up, eventually winding up in a full scale shouting match over who got to eat it. I've seen, in real life, similar style games in gay circles a few times, but since these involved only people who were plainly and admittedly not adverse to it it wasn't exactly the same.

At the university (not in a fraternity) we played a game where one of us would put our hand over the center of a dartboard and have others throw darts, attemting to miss but with as narrowly as possible (we called it simply "Hand"). I think I came up with it though (although the rules and regulations were honed throughout drunken nights with the rest of the crew) so it's not exactly a legend.

Posts: 48 | From: Southern Kansas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard about the soggy biscuit one when I was in college, but instead of a biscuit, I heard it was done with a pizza

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tirisfal Pumpkin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tirisfal Pumpkin   E-mail Tirisfal Pumpkin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have I just got weird friends?

The boys in my year at high school did the Soggy Biscuit one day in the change rooms after PE class. And another guy I met had to do it as well. I have no reason not to believe them (because those boys really could sink that low).

Here in Oz though, it's called "Soggy Sao", because it's done on a Sao biscuit.

--------------------
I'm ridin' my lollerskates all the way to my roflcopter

Posts: 156 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages