snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » College » Frat boys catch the gay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frat boys catch the gay
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 220 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: One of my gay friends is telling everyone that 30% of frat boys
are gay in America. He said he saw it on 60 minutes. Is this true? Is he
just saying this because he is gay and wants to promote it?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like he's been reading the bathroom stalls at my old school. Every one had a "Frat guys are gay!", "No, You're gay!" argument raging.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Q: What's the difference between a straight frat boy and a gay frat boy?

A: A six pack.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
reflex
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reflex   E-mail reflex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forty percent of all people know that.

--------------------
The opinions expressed herein do not represent those of any rational human being and are solely for the purpose of entertainment.

Posts: 487 | From: Brick City (Newark), NJ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deirdre
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deirdre   E-mail Deirdre   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Based upon the frat boys I have known in my time (and those my son is bringing home now), no upstanding gay male would WANT to claim them...

--------------------
Sweetheart, Remember never squat with your spurs on. Love, Mama
Slainte!

Posts: 42 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew enough traditional fraternity members to know that some do attract homosexuals for some reason. There is one fraternity at UT whose membership is almost entirely homosexual, according to a few of my friends who have pledged.

Ca "APhiO, 2000, coed" sey

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard from a few frats that they love having a gay member because that guy always has hot friends.

I think they really just get drunk and use him and his "friends" as an alternative. Boys will be boys.

Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
Q: What's the difference between a straight frat boy and a gay frat boy?

A: A six pack.

You think you're joking, but in the past year, I've been hit on by at least four straight guys.

And not all of them were drunk.

(There may be more, but I tend to be completely clueless when someone's hitting on me.)

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the last show I was in a frat boy played my younger brother. He was a cool guy, I still call him brother, but he was just what one expected a frat boy to be. I like to mess with him and one time I cam back from a starbucks run and said 'hey, Jc that place is either full of frat boys or homosexuals, I can't tell which', as a joke. But he decided that he would go check and report back with his expert opinion.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i have no statisitcs to prove this but it would be reasonable to guess that he amount of gay boys in frats would be similar to the amount of gay people overall in society. That said i do recall a study a few years back that stated that any organization with males who have to live together in a stictly same sex setting will tend to have a significantly higher amount of homosexual activity.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by emperor_genghis_khan:
i have no statisitcs to prove this but it would be reasonable to guess that he amount of gay boys in frats would be similar to the amount of gay people overall in society. That said i do recall a study a few years back that stated that any organization with males who have to live together in a stictly same sex setting will tend to have a significantly higher amount of homosexual activity.

Any group where it is a male only enviroment will induce a higher percentage of same sex attraction. Frats, single sex schools, mens clubs, team sports ect.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would this also be true of female only environments?
Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We can only hope, my friend. We can only hope.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ask anyone who ever worked at a girl scout camp. (Or so my sisters claimed.)

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
localheroine
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Half of frat hazing seems psuedo gay to me.... my brother always claimed they were testing loyalty but maybe they were testing potential instead?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fitz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fitz   E-mail Fitz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Etienne:
Would this also be true of female only environments?

A bisexual friend on mine told me that she "knew" several girls from an all female school and girls hooking up with girls is so common there that they have a name for it. LUGs Lesbians Untill Graduation - are girls who do the girl/girl thing while in college and once they rejoin the real world they go back to men.
Posts: 45 | From: Kennesaw, GA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sully61
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sully61   E-mail sully61   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An old joke from a constitutional law class at my university
"Who got the ferry franchise?"
"The Sigma Nus"

--------------------
Follow the yellow brick road.

Posts: 273 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*scratches head* ...I don't get it, Sully.
Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sully61
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sully61   E-mail sully61   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The case was about a ferry (as opposed to fairy) franchise. The prof asked who ended up with the franchise -- sigma nus. If that doesn't explain it - it is only funny in my head.

--------------------
Follow the yellow brick road.

Posts: 273 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like things that are only funny in my head [Big Grin]

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages