snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Amway distributors have a lower divorce rate.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amway distributors have a lower divorce rate.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lost count of the number of times I have seen statistics similar to these quotes.
quote:
The divorce rate in America is 50% and in Amway it is 1%
quote:
Amway has a 1% divorce rate, compared to the 50% rate in the rest of the country. Forget about the money, obviously it's great for holding families together.
quote:
"I saw people who had their marriages right. Couples who had direction in life. The divorce rate in the US is over 50%...in the Amway business it is less then 2%. And in turn my wife and I finally had the right examples to base our marriage upon."

quote:
"Did you know that active Amway distributors have only less than 1% divorce rate compared to 60% in the traditional business?"
What is the actual divorce rate, (just in the USA will do) and how is it calculated, ie, over what time.
And is there any better rate among Ambots.
It's not silly to assume there are cases of divorce CAUSED by involvement in Amway.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being told that. I have no idea where the statistic supposedly came from.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm this could possibly be true... if you get involved enough to become an AmBot you probably can't think enough for yourself to consider yourself a seperate entity from your spouse- or from the company.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The oft-quoted "statistic" is suspected to be based on a misunderstanding of statistical methodolgy.
quote:
During a given time period, there were X marriages and y divorces, where y = X/2. Therefore "half of all marriages in in divorce."
In truth, the factors in the equation have not accounted for "all marriages" Many couples who were married during the time period are still married and many of those who divorced during the time period were married several years earlier.

"All marriages" could include several unions by one person. The stat is quite inaccurate for the Elizabeth Taylors of the world and equally inaccurate for those who died while still in their first marriage. The missing part of the quote is, "The other half end in death".

In order to get a more accurate feel for the divorce rate, one would need to restrict tabulations to include only marriages that have ended. All persons currently married and/or alive are still having their union(s) added to the total of "all marriages"

For DW and me, it's two marriages and two divorces. However, we're both still alive and wed, so our total tab is incomplete.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For whatever it's worth, I have known of plenty of friendships destroyed by Amway.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is just one of the spurious statistics or "facts" that the AmBots cram down newcomer's throats. The distributor chains are cultlike and they'll tell you pretty much anything to get you in business.

It may be true, but I doubt it. If it is true, it probably has to do with the types of couples that stay in. When my ex bf & I did Amway/Quixtar, they stressed traditional roles for men and women. Women would do the selling and product demonstrations while the men would go out and try and get new business. Women were encouraged (and alot of times actually told) to wear skirts and dresses to business functions and looked at funny if they didn't. They claimed they welcomed all religions, but their "nondenominational" services at big conventions showed a distinct preference for evangelist Christianity. One speaker during one of these made a snide sideways remark against Catholics, and brought up a man he referred to as a "Saved Jew" (a man who was raised Jewish and converted to Christianity) to speak, both of them claiming his business boomed and his life got so much better when he converted. In an environment/community like this, divorce is frowned upon, regardless of difficulties facing a couple.

I'm sure the ones that stay in do have a low divorce rate, simply because when you get that far in, Amway is your life. All your friends are Amway divorce is highly discouraged in that community. They really didn't like it when half a couple would be "in" and would talk a lot of "bringing in" the spouse, and acting both very sad and very suspicious of any wife or husband who didn't want to have anything to do with them. They would try to split up long term unmarried couples if the other half was creating a distraction from the business.

I do know a few couples who divorced, part of the reason was probably the financial strain their "business" caused, but they all quit before the divorce, so I'm sure they don't count towards the 1% or whatever.

The thing that sucks is, after all this, I still think Amway has some of the best and most cost-effective products out there and I could easily make money selling them if I didn't have to deal with the nut jobs and stigma of the name. Changing their name to Quixtar helped a little with the latter, but the cult structure of the distributorships and the nutjobs still abound.

ETA: This link provides an interesting read regarding the separation between (or lack thereof) the company Amway, and the distributorships that do operate much like cults.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I now someone who is heavily involved in Quixtar--the online Amway part. He said that one thing that is part of the whole deal is a sort of counseling service. You are supposed to establish such a relationship with your downline that they will tell about personal problems and you will assist them to get help. Quixtar, at least, encourages people to participate as married couples. Mr. And Mrs. Upline are supposed to serve as mentors and helpers to Mr. & Mrs. Downline when it comes to marriage problems. You are expected to socialize as a couple mostly with other Quixtar couples

Part of the recruiting spiel is how it strengthens marriages, because husband and wife work together as partners to "build the business" and because Quixtar will help them with any personal issues. A big sales point was "let your wife stay home." Once you get The Business going, your wife can stay home with the kids, while doing all the paperwork or whatever. Husband and wife will be some much less stressed this way. The pitch includes a lot of numbers on how child care and commute costs probably eat up most of the wife's salary anyway.

My friend told me about an issue in his Quixtar "team" (whatever a whole line is called.) Seems that Mr. Bigwig Upline was not sufficiently interested in personal relationships and counseling for the downlines and the downlines were conspiring to have him removed.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can the same be said of other direct-selling companies (among them Watkins, Rawleigh, Furst-McNess, Shaklee, Cutco, Discovery Toys, Bestline, usw.)?

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
...My friend told me about an issue in his Quixtar "team" (whatever a whole line is called.) Seems that Mr. Bigwig Upline was not sufficiently interested in personal relationships and counseling for the downlines and the downlines were conspiring to have him removed.

Conspiring to have him removed?

How does that work?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by die daagliks phosdex:
Can the same be said of other direct-selling companies (among them Watkins, Rawleigh, Furst-McNess, Shaklee, Cutco, Discovery Toys, Bestline, usw.)?

Don't know about them at all. I know that in Mary Kay, it is hoped that husbands will be chivalrous in toting makeup bags to the car and supportive in general but otherwise to stay butted out. There's a lot of "motivational" bs in pretty much every sales job, and a certain kind for the direct sales, but not all of them are culty and creepy like Amway/Quixtar/Cougar/Mellencamp or whatever.

My mom knew a couple just getting into it, and they went to one of those seminar things in another town - they were not told that they would be SHARING A ROOM with another couple. For one thing, that's just creepy, and an invasion of privacy, and just weird. The woman had no idea, she normally slept in the nude, and so she didn't have decent nightclothes. She had to sleep in her dayclothes because there was another freaking couple (not friends or anything in particular, just another couple so as to make the hotel bill cheaper) there.

This couple was quite unimpressed and won't be part of the Amway statistics, divorced or not.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdraculafly:
My mom knew a couple just getting into it, and they went to one of those seminar things in another town - they were not told that they would be SHARING A ROOM with another couple. For one thing, that's just creepy, and an invasion of privacy, and just weird. The woman had no idea, she normally slept in the nude, and so she didn't have decent nightclothes. She had to sleep in her dayclothes because there was another freaking couple (not friends or anything in particular, just another couple so as to make the hotel bill cheaper) there.

Our first weekend function, we were expected to share a room that had two full beds with two other couples. Since we weren't married, we weren't allowed to share a bed (or floor space) so I had to share a bed with a woman I just met, while my ex shared with her husband and the other couple slept on the floor.

On the way to another function, a bunch of our upline had chartered a bus. They packed it as full as they could for a 20 hour overnight ride. I ended up lying on the floor of the bus under the seat just to get some sleep. After that, I declined to go to any more out of town functions.

--------------------

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's kinda gross. Did Amway pay for the motel rooms themselves or where you paying for it anyway?

In Mary Kay, at their big todo in Dallas, the saleswomen who go do pay for it all themselves and have the option of staying with other women but they certainly don't have to if they don't want to and you know exactly who you'll be rooming with. And it won't be strange men. Call me a prude, or just someone who likes to share her sleeping space based on choice, but I wouldn't under any circumstances share a motel room with some couple I didn't even know. Ugh. That's just such an imposition!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three little stories about Amway:

- Several people, including my sister, have gotten involved in Amway, event to the point where it was becoming more important to them than their relationships with their friends and family. The one thing that got me was how cheap they all became, and how they all acted the same. My sister turned into a hard, cold miser. The thing that woke her up was that when she did up her annual books, her total profit for a year of ostracising everyone she knew ended up being $128. So she gave that up pretty quick.

- One person who was trying to sell me on the products offered a ridiculous anecdote. Essentially, this woman was baking a cake and accidentally grabbed the toilet cleaner instead of an ingredient. Only after she put the cake in the oven did she realise what she had done. Knowing that she did not have the time to bake another cake, she decided to serve the one in the oven. And you know what? No one got sick. That is how pure Amway products really are! I cried bull and he never forgave me.

- Finally, during my time in university I worked at a gas station. My boss was an ethical, effective, shrewd and good businessman. He also loved sharing his philosophies with the common worker. I learned a lot from him. Attached to the gas station was a restaurant. Both were owned by the same man. Anyways, one evening about 9 pm a bus pulls into the restaurant. About 60 people get out (of a 45 passenger bus) and fill the restaurant. After about a half hour I had a long line of people come into the station where we had the convenience store. Each started discussing with me "Are you satisfied with the money you are making right now?"

After the third one getting brushed off I began reciting what my boss' philosophy was as if I was the boss. A few, reinvests, market shares, cost capturing, loss prevention and second mortgages on Saskatchewan, this guy was about to ask how he could invest.

About then one of the waitresses from the restaurant came in for some change. She was grumbling because after an hour of being run off her feet, not one of the customers left a tip. They all packed off into their tiny bus and made their way off to whatever convention they were heading to.

Now that I hear these other stories, I can laugh at what I thought was odd in the early '90s.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Nope, we paid for the rooms ourselves, but our upline wanted us all to stay at whatever hotel they picked, so it wasn't going to be something we could easily afford after $300 worth of function tickets and gas to drive from Sioux City to Minneapolis. Plus, we were told that with the money we saved we could buy more product or tapes or whatever. The only reason I went along with any of it was because it's what my ex wanted to do and if he didn't get what he wanted, he would make my life hell (hence, the 'ex' part).

None of this was mandatory, mind you. The way the upline always presented it was "This is optional, of course, but so is success". They always implied your business would fail if you didn't buy overpriced motivational books and tapes and tickets to meetings and functions where the same old crap was re-hashed. I later confirmed the suspicion that I held that the reason for this is that the higher-ups (certain Directs and above) were making the real big money off this motivational tools racket.

And none of this is sponsored or condoned by the Amway Corporation. The functions/meetings/tapes/books is all part of large distributorships. Amway, however, does nothing to stop or punish it, so that makes them party to it in my book. In my opinion, one could make a tidy little profit off selling just the core products (which really are great). The only money we (I say we, but really my ex took it all) ever made from that 'business' before we broke up was profits from product that I sold. However, none of the distributors I met are interested in just "extra cash". They all want to be massively rich really fast. That is the only idea the upline sells at these meetings, selling actual product is something you do so a) you aren't participating in an illegal scam and b) you can make more money to buy tools and function tickets.

--------------------

snapdragonfly

Lil Molly, I actually have tried Amway products as well as Shaklee and did think they were better than most grocery store stuff but I'm not about to get ahold of any of those people because they pressure you to join them and not be a loser who doesn't sell Amway. (actual words) I agree with you that it's too bad that just selling a good product doesn't seem to be enough for them. You know, there's nothing at all disgraceful about selling a good and useful item - it's an honorable thing to do, IF it's done in an ethical honest way.

--------------------

Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

I feel the same way, snapdragon, I don't want to buy their stuff because I don't want to get on a prospect list. With Amway/Quixtar the little product selling that does go on generally IS ethical and honest. But Amway products are usually only bought by Amway distributors because they form their own community and cut outside ties by, like you said, pressuring people to join up or insulting them. We were encouraged to treat every non-Amway person as a potential downline and were chided when outside social gatherings (or even trips to the grocery store) did not result in prospects.

--------------------

NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back on the divorce statistic, I wonder if Amway's supposed number comes from couples who have divorced and both remained Amway. Otherwise, of course, when one leaves the marriage and the business, this is not a "divorce in Amway", this is a "non-Amway divorce", adding to the 99%, not the 1%.

On the products, I almost joined a while ago. Some research online turned up the concept that Amway products were generally very good, but far overpriced. While it may be, say, 30% better than the leading brand, it was 120% more expensive than the leading brand. And this was only a few specific products - plenty others were no better than average brands.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My old roommate years ago was (is?) involved in Amway. Their comparisons are just crazy -- they'll compare their generic Fruitie Loops aganst the real Fruit Loops and claim they're cheaper. But then they tack on 20% "shipping and handling", and make you buy a certain volume to get that price (usually a whole case of "frutie loops". Then you find out "Fruitie Loops" taste like crap -- that the generic one that costs 1/3 as much in the grocery store tastes a whole lot better.

My roommate was buying so much crap in bulk I made him keep it all in his own bedroom, as there was no way we could store it in the mutual kitchen...

As for their cleaning products -- like was mentioned above, a few are very good, but they're hideously priced. Some are downright average, still hideously priced. A Lexus might be better than my Hyundai, but my Hyundai gets me to work for a lot cheaper. Same with Amway proudcts vs. the generics we typically buy...

Back on the original topic -- I got blasted with all sorts of "Amway Speil" in those days. Amway people had better marriages. Amway was a Christian company and full of great values (never mind they had you preying on your friends, told you to dump any friends that didn't "buy in", etc). They tell their people to pretend they're making lots of money so as not to discourage anyone (and if you "fake it" you'll eventually "make it")-- so everyone's convinced they must be doing something wrong since they're obviously the only one losing money...

As to the person above talking about making $100-ish dollars, that's pretty good money in Amway, from what I'm told. Most people end up losing tons of money since they make you buy tons of training tapes, pay for seminars each week, etc., etc. Not to mention you need to "buy more stuff so you can make more money". I can't tell you how many times former roomie bought a case of weird stuff (like muffins) because he needed to "get more business volume".

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
...My friend told me about an issue in his Quixtar "team" (whatever a whole line is called.) Seems that Mr. Bigwig Upline was not sufficiently interested in personal relationships and counseling for the downlines and the downlines were conspiring to have him removed.

Conspiring to have him removed?

How does that work?

OK, so "conspiring" is a bit of hyperbole. What they were doing was talking among themselves and planning an approach to someone farther up the line, explaining the stuation ans asking to be transferred to another line so they could work under "Sympathetic Sam" instead of "Coldhearted Charlie."

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh, I didn't know Shaklee was structured like Amway. My mom and I order their products. Well, I ask my mom to order for me. I didn't know she went through a representative, I though she ordered online.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Thistle, your mom probably does order online. MLMs figured out that customers didn't like always ordering through a distributor, so a lot of them have set up websites where you can order direct from the company, but your distributor still gets credit for the sale since they turned you on to the products in the first place. With Amway/Quixtar, customers could order direct, but their logon had to be set up by an IBO (distributor) that they either knew or were referred to.

I'm pretty sure Avon and Mary Kay do something similar now too.

--------------------

snapdragonfly

Mary Kay does and so does Arbonne.

--------------------

Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSpectre:
Huh, I didn't know Shaklee was structured like Amway. My mom and I order their products. Well, I ask my mom to order for me. I didn't know she went through a representative, I though she ordered online.

Economically, Shaklee is setup in the same manner as Amway...but it's not nearly as "hardcore". There isn't the demand to live the lifestyle as there is with Amway.

My mother is a Shaklee rep. She has no 'downline'. She sells Shaklee products to enough people to cover her own use of the products, and she's happy with that.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:
One person who was trying to sell me on the products offered a ridiculous anecdote. Essentially, this woman was baking a cake and accidentally grabbed the toilet cleaner instead of an ingredient. Only after she put the cake in the oven did she realise what she had done. Knowing that she did not have the time to bake another cake, she decided to serve the one in the oven. And you know what? No one got sick. That is how pure Amway products really are! I cried bull and he never forgave me.

Good Lord.

I agree with you that this story must be made up and I can't fathom why someone would actually try to pass it off as true. Knowingly serving a cake that contains toilet cleaner is not only completely ridiculous and unbelieveable, but if it were true then it would have to be illegal in some way, shape, or form. What a crock.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curiousgeorge1940
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiousgeorge1940   E-mail curiousgeorge1940   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had some dealings with Amway a few years ago - Loved the products ... hated the constant pressure to join up... Did some research and found many Corporate ties to political right-wing religious groups. That killed it for me.

Also might explain "divorce" statistics sources.
In my area , most of the Amway people are associated with evangelical church groups....
Explains a lot of what goes on.

--------------------
life is good

Posts: 2 | From: Red Hook, NY | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Class Bravo:
Good Lord.

I agree with you that this story must be made up and I can't fathom why someone would actually try to pass it off as true. Knowingly serving a cake that contains toilet cleaner is not only completely ridiculous and unbelieveable, but if it were true then it would have to be illegal in some way, shape, or form. What a crock.

It was about the time in his pitch when he was talking about how safe and pure the products from Amway really are.

One thing that raised my suspicions was that I offered to buy things through him, but he wanted me to only subscribe to the program, not be a customer. Money for nothing I guess.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wifey and I were involved in Quixtar for a time through my brother (I 'made' some money by writing off business expenses and home office space in my house).

Wifey and I are seriously as close as two people can be -- we have been through better and worse, richer and poorer. Nonetheless, we were bombarded with books and tapes to make us a "stronger" couple. It did nothing but piss us off.

People we hardly knew were telling us we weren't a strong enough couple? We attended a few of those big meetings and heard the same divorce rate stuff; Quixtar saved our marriage stuff, your only friends will be Quixtar friends stuff, etc.

Wifey and I often find ourselves in the "too cool for school" category, and we were definitely too cool for their school.

But, still, business is business and I could ignore all of the evangelical stuff, just as I would in any other situation. However, the whole "fake it 'till you make it" thing smacked us just plain lying -- something I couldn't ignore.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wifey and I were involved in Quixtar for a time through my brother (I 'made' some money by writing off business expenses and home office space in my house).

Wifey and I are seriously as close as two people can be -- we have been through better and worse, richer and poorer. Nonetheless, we were bombarded with books and tapes to make us a "stronger" couple. It did nothing but piss us off.

People we hardly knew were telling us we weren't a strong enough couple? We attended a few of those big meetings and heard the same divorce rate stuff; Quixtar saved our marriage stuff, your only friends will be Quixtar friends stuff, etc.

Wifey and I often find ourselves in the "too cool for school" category, and we were definitely too cool for their school.

But, still, business is business and I could ignore all of the evangelical stuff, just as I would in any other situation. However, the whole "fake it 'till you make it" thing smacked us just plain lying -- something I couldn't ignore.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
your only friends will be Quixtar friends
That's scary and creepy.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, it's not a demand, it's a consequence. [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:

I'm not sure that makes it any better. [Smile]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:

I'm not sure that makes it any better. [Smile]
I would say it would be worse, actually, since it means that everyone except the other Ambots has decided they don't want to be around you!

I had a few issues with Mary Kay but they NEVER pulled anything remotely like that.

--------------------

Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, when we were living in Memphis (very far from our hometown) and my husband was in graduate school, we were in the midst of very bleak financial circumstances. Out of the blue, we got a call one day from an old high school friend who went to church with my in-laws. He'd heard that we were expecting another baby and that my hubby was having trouble finding steady work, and he told us that he had a friend in Memphis who would love to talk to us about an exciting employment opportunity. Naive and a little desperate, we invited this stranger into our home on our old pal's recommendation, sure that our prayers had been answered and that my husband would soon have a job at least slightly more lucrative than shoe sales and window washing. The FOAF rambled for a full hour before one of us finally said, "Wait--are you talking about Amway? We thought you were going to talk to us about a real job!" That was sixteen years ago, and I haven't thought about that experience for a long time, but I can't recall it without some bitterness. We felt like our friend had deceived and used us at a time when we were particularly vulnerable.

A few years later, after we had relocated to another state, our church (a mid-sized evangelical congreation in a smallish city) had more than its share of Amway people, especially within the large adult Sunday school class my hsuband taught. I liked many of them personally, I was really put off by what I saw as a culture of deceptiveness and manipulation. I always wanted to ask them, "If it's such a great company, why do you go to such great lengths to avoid saying the word Amway?" Any time a new family joined the church or our class, they'd be showered with attention and invitations, but often they would get dropped like a hot potato if they showed no interest in joining "the business." I also knew of at least two families who took on tremendous debt--particularly for fancy cars and huge homes in posh neighborhoods--and got the distinct impression that "looking prosperous" was part of their Amway master plan.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Vanilla Gorilla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Vanilla Gorilla   E-mail The Vanilla Gorilla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of Us!
One of Us!
One of Us!....

Just reading all of the experiences from above caused this to pop into my head. [Smile]

I know my folks have been lured in by a few of these MLM's, all to no avail. The only real people making the money are the ones who started it.

Posts: 46 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages