snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Re-using unused stamps (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re-using unused stamps
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was reading on the frugal about.com board and someone's
claiming it's illegal to use a stamp which has been put on a envelope but
not used because you changed your mind about sending that particular
letter. They said it's illegal to even take it off and put it on a
different letter and mail it. I googled it and see other similar posts. I
think it's a urban myth. Is it?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrRocket
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrRocket   E-mail DrRocket   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done it. Never a problem.

--------------------
It's rough on rats! "I'll Say!!"

Posts: 51 | From: Rosemount, Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've taken a stamp off right away and gotten a little paper on the back and used tape. I would say as long as it hasn't been stamped over (the post office lines after the postmark) that it would be ok? I never got any back...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How would one know if you did or not? If they haven't been through the post office and post-marked, then I don't see any way of detecting pre-used stamps.

Also, the stamps are meant as payment for the service of shipping the letter. So if no shipping was made, no payment need be made.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that, too. Doesn't stop me from trying, tho.

I know it's illegal to use tape on a stamp. I guess so that you can't take it off an re-use it.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most inks don't stick very well to Scotch tape either. But it should be okay to tape the bottom of the stamp to the envelope, as long as there's no tape on the stamp's face. I'd use glue; probably holds better.
Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's illegal. I'm guessing people have somehow garbled the idea that if you remove an unused stamp from one item and affix it to another, some of the original backing will remain stuck to it, and the USPS might possibly flag it as a re-used stamp.

In any case, I doubt the USPS bothers to chase after any but the most flagrant of stamp re-use abusers, though.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually put a little piece on the top and fold it over the top of the envelope ...I usually don't cover the whole stamp unless it just won't stick at all (clarifying)

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once found a stamp in the street, like a person might find coins. It was the kind you lick but it had pretty much lost its stickiness. There were no cancellation marks so I used tape around the edges of the stamp and mailed a letter to a friend. (I was about 11 at the time.) It came back to me with all kinds of ominious looking things stamped on it from the post office about how reusing stamps was illegal, attempted fraud, punishable by up to...something or other. Apparently this one offense only got a warning.

I think the idea is that you're not supposed to reuse stamps that didn't get cancelled in the mail for whatever reason. I can't see why resticking a stamp to a different envelope because you've changed your mind would be a problem.

Avril

ETA: I googled and came up with this warning about the practice from the USPS. I also found this forum on the subject.

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxGunnar   E-mail MaxGunnar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work at the post office on the cancelation machines, it's your stamp until you drop your envelope in the box. We don't like the clear tape because it gets stuck on the indicia detectors and OCR plates
Posts: 283 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've re-used stamps that didn't get cancelled without a problem. I used a glue stick to attach them to the envelopes instead of tape.

ETA: Oops. I guess I committed a federal crime then.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giant Communist Robot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giant Communist Robot   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know it's illegal to use tape on a stamp
Stamps have an invisible UV coating on them. As the stamp passes through the cancelling machine, they are briefly illuminated by UV lamps and the glow is detected by a sensor. Once detected, the stamp will be cancelled.

If tape covers the stamp, there will be insufficient glow to be detected and the stamp will not cancel; it will bypass and be handled manually later.

There is a practice called 'washing' where chemicals are used on cancelled stamps to remove the indica mark, but this also takes off the UV coating, so it doesn't work.

As far as being illegal, if any stamp is covered or reused they are returned to sender if the postal employees have the time to do so.

Posts: 63 | From: Aiea, Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxGunnar   E-mail MaxGunnar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is Illegal, I was told that the USPS loses millions of dollar due to people "Washing stamps" I'll dig up a cite if I can
Posts: 283 | From: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 213 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple loves Cobras:
I've re-used stamps that didn't get cancelled without a problem. I used a glue stick to attach them to the envelopes instead of tape.

ETA: Oops. I guess I committed a federal crime then.

Me too!
If I get an envelope with a stamp that has no cancellation markings I will re-use it. It is like found money.
About a year ago I did it and somehow the post office knew. My letter was rejected with something about that the stamp was previously used.
Someday I betchya they are going to come up with bar coding or something akin to it. Will then close this little loophole that many of us use.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine actually got away with steaming a stamp off a letter I sent to her so that she could send a letter back to me. I'm guessing that this generally isn't allowed, but it managed to skip past the scanners and whatnot at the post office. To be honest, I never would have noticed it except that she put in her letter "I'm reusing the stamp you sent me."

On a slightly different track, one time I sealed a letter, then cut it open to add something. I used scotch tape to re-seal the flap, only the tape went over the top part of the stamp. That envelope got returned to me with some kind of notice that mail could not be sent if the stamp had been tampered with (meaning the tape that was touching it).

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I think I've taken a stamp off right away and gotten a little paper on the back and used tape. I would say as long as it hasn't been stamped over (the post office lines after the postmark) that it would be ok? I never got any back...

If a letter has been mailed, the stamp cannot be reused, regardless of whether it's cancelled or not. It's rare, but sometimes the cancelling machines miss a letter.

snopes is right in that the USPS doesn't have the time or manpower to go after someone who does it occasionally, so if you do it, you're probably going to get away with it. If you do it a lot (and I mean a lot), you could be charged with fraud and do some time in federal PMITA prison.

ETA: To clarify Max's point, it's your letter until it comes into the possession of the USPS. Your mailbox is your property, so if you decide to take a letter out before the letter carrier comes, you're free to do so. That's not the case with the USPS drop boxes, or after the carrier takes the letter from your box.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

If your doing it on a large scale the Postal Inspectors WILL come after your ass and it's a Federal beef. whats a PMITA?
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 84 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PMITA is a NSFBSK slang term meaning "Pound Me In The A__" Well you used the other word in your post

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VW girl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VW girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came back from the post office and there is a sign on the door that says it is illegal to reuse stamps, cancelled or not.

--------------------
Volkswagens don't leak oil, they just mark their spots.

Posts: 19 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VW girl:
I just came back from the post office and there is a sign on the door that says it is illegal to reuse stamps, cancelled or not.

But as others have posted, a stamp hasn't been "used" until it is picked up by the post office?
Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the warning I linked to above reads:

quote:
Once a stamp has been used,* it is a federal crime to...reuse a stamp...
Somehow my feeling is that just letting it sit on an envelope doesn't count as using the stamp.

Avril

*emphasis mine

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If removing the cancellation mark is so easy, there is a far more profitable way to do it. Removing the cancellation from an old (as in antique) stamp will make it far more valuable. The difference between mint and used on some stamps with a high face value can be hundreds of dollars. It might not fool an expert, but might get passed a less experienced collector.
I'm not advocating fraud, just curious as to why anyone would bother with common stamps when the most you can save is a few dollars and facing a federal rap.
(Not sure, but I don't think philatelic fraud would be a federal offence)

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

Illeagal mass mailers will try to run washed or counterfiet stamps. If your trying to flood an area with ads and they know people are more inclined to open a letter that has full postage on it. And you figure say 50,000 letters at 39cents a letter comes to 19,500 DOLLARS
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Illeagal mass mailers will try to run washed or counterfiet stamps.
It seems like a very risky venture to use counterfeit stamps in mass mailings. Unlike cash, which is away from your hands once you use it, those stamps will sit around for years and years attached to envelopes with your address on them (or some related address by which the people who profited can be traced). Why would someone take such a huge risk for such a small payoff? Not to say it doesn't happen. However, it is probably more common to forge tax revenue stamps and collectible stamps as these don't leave a business card for the forger or the user.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher/postmarks_19990510/refreshercourse.asp?uID=
quote:
From the earliest days of United States postage stamp production, one of the great concerns of the post office has been preventing the illegal reuse of stamps.

This is generally accomplished by applying a postmark or other cancellation that invalidates the stamp.

The terms "postmark" and "cancellation" have specific meanings that are different from one another.

http://www.nku.edu/~yannarella/news0105.html
quote:
Did you ever peel off an uncancelled postage stamp off an envelope just received in the mail, and use that stamp again? If so, you have committed a federal crime!!! Per the Postal Poster Warning! Reusing Postage (a pdf file), which cites U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 471and 1720 it is illegal to "Reuse a postage stamp whether cancelled or not". It is also a crime to attempt to remove cancellation marks from postage stamps

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
ETA: To clarify Max's point, it's your letter until it comes into the possession of the USPS. Your mailbox is your property, so if you decide to take a letter out before the letter carrier comes, you're free to do so. That's not the case with the USPS drop boxes, or after the carrier takes the letter from your box.

Can I take this to mean that, once I drop a letter into the post office box, it becomes the GOVERNMENT'S property? Does this mean that, like trash I put on the curb, the police can freely open and read my mail since it is no longer my property?

-rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

It takes a court order to zip open somebody's mail and it's still the most secure form of communication. Only two things get get fired at the PO, work place violence and open somebody elses mail of ANY class. so no its not government property
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Only two things get you fired at the PO, work place violence and open somebody elses mail of ANY class. so no its not government property
Not so. All USPS employees have, for example, broad latitude to open and inspect any item sent via media mail:

Media Mail searches raise privacy concerns

- snopes

MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

quote:
Law mandates that the USPS "'maintain one or more classes of mail for the transmission of letter sealed against inspection,'" which is why Priority Mail is offered, Urban said.

"The USPS will probably say that they have a class of mail ... that is 'sealed against inspection' without a warrant, and that you can always send books and documents through first class mail if you're concerned," Urban said.

Alvarez said that customers could send items by Priority Mail to avoid Media Mail's random inspections.

For Priority Mail or any other type of domestic mail to be inspected, postal workers must obtain a judge's warrant or have the authorization of the addressee.

Even though these rules do not apply to Media Mail, such packages are rarely randomly checked, Alvarez said. Postal employees check Media Mail packages that appear suspicious - too heavy for their size, show no return address or have awkward writing, he said.

But inspection of Media Mail packages is only to combat revenue loss, said Dockweiler supervisor Denise Bostic.

Sorry, guess I havn't read the latest Postal employee's handbook yet. Still using the old one.

Again not just any clerk/carrier/tech can open your mail. I'm still of the opinion when I put a stamp on a first class envolope I'm more secure than chatting/banking on my laptop at StarBucks or using a cordless or cell phone.

MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

There's another scam that will land you in hot water is where you put the addressee in the return address spot and your address in the recipient's and put no or little postage on it. We see this mostly form jails,prisons and mental hospitals.
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
Slight hijack:

quote:

Can I take this to mean that, once I drop a letter into the post office box, it becomes the GOVERNMENT'S property? Does this mean that, like trash I put on the curb, the police can freely open and read my mail since it is no longer my property?

-rogue

I think the law is actually intended to protect your mail from interference by non-governmental parties, by putting the force of the federal government behind laws against stealing or tampering with the mail.

Mail isn't analogous to trash because, when you place trash at the curb, you are, by definition, discarding it. You aren't discarding your mail when you put it in the drop box: you're entrusting it to the USPS for delivery.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:

If a letter has been mailed, the stamp cannot be reused, regardless of whether it's cancelled or not. It's rare, but sometimes the cancelling machines miss a letter.

snopes is right in that the USPS doesn't have the time or manpower to go after someone who does it occasionally, so if you do it, you're probably going to get away with it. If you do it a lot (and I mean a lot), you could be charged with fraud and do some time in federal PMITA prison.

Yikes! [Eek!] Just to point out I have never tried to use a stamp that I've recieved. Only transfer *my* stamp that I have at home that's never been used to a different envelope. I've never gotten anything back that I've taped for security. The keypoint above being *if the letter is mailed*...mine have not been mailed yet...yay no jail for me [Embarrassed]

I have a question, what about letters with insufficent postage. Are those marked as "allowed" stamps b/c u just put the extra on? Wouldn't that in a sense be re-using...It hasn't been mailed to it's destination but the P.O. had it in possesion...

--------------------

MaxGunnar
Deck the Malls

quote:
I have a question, what about letters with insufficent postage. Are those marked as "allowed" stamps b/c u just put the extra on? Wouldn't that in a sense be re-using...It hasn't been mailed to it's destination but the P.O. had it in possesion...

Ya get screwed unless the counter clerk or carrier and you catch it, what ever postage is on it gets canceled, by hand if nessecary and you have to put full postage on it
HazyCosmicJive
The First USA Noel

Icon 205 posted      Profile for HazyCosmicJive     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my office we get a lot of overnight mail where the mailer first put it in a stamped envelope, then by the time he or she got around to mailing it, it was late, so they put the entire stamped envelope in an express mail envelope and mail it that way. These stamps haven't been used for postage. They're essentially as if someone just mailed me a sheet of unused stamps. I routinely cut them off of the envelopes and re-use them.

As pointed out above, if it's an issue of the stamp having been affixed to something but not having been used, I can't imagine there's anything illegal about that.

--------------------
Suddenly she realizes that amongst a crazy drunken schoolmarm, a navy swim instructor with a food fetish, a southern hick farmer, a porn star turned used car dealer, and a horny ex-football player, she won't be this strange outsider.

Posts: 701 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HazyCosmicJive:
As pointed out above, if it's an issue of the stamp having been affixed to something but not having been used, I can't imagine there's anything illegal about that.

You are correct. The stamp was not used for postage, so it can be reused legally.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages