snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Lowes (is not) owned by Walmart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lowes (is not) owned by Walmart
Ned23
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ned23   E-mail Ned23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,
I'm wondering how many people have heard a growing rumor that Walmart owns Lowes Home Improvement?

This is actually a growing rumor in Ohio where I live. People at work have started driving extra distances to get to Home Depot, and when I go to Lowes, people start telling me that I shouldn't shop there "because it's owned by Walmart". (OK, so I hang out with liberals)

I looked and cannot find any evidence that this is the case. Their colors are similar, their stores are similar, they often build them next to one another and they even sell similar products on their shelves. But they don't appear to be related in any other way.

A Google search on terms like "Walmart owns Lowes" reveals that the rumor may have been started by a shopping column in the Detroit Free Press where the columnist incorrectly asserted that the two stores were the same company.

A few people I know in other parts of the country have not heard this rumor. So, I'm wondering how far it's spread. Have you heard it?

Ned.

Posts: 10 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in Columbus, and I haven't heard it.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lowes is traded independently of Wal-Mart on the NYSE, therefore it is not a subsidiary, division, or otherwise owned or controlled by The Evil Empire.

Lowes is ranked #43 on the Fortune 500. See here.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jdmarlin06
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdmarlin06     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by carver:
So, I'm wondering how far it's spread. Have you heard it?

Ned.

I got some forwarded email saying that before. So it has made some email rounds.
Posts: 89 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hi,
I'm wondering how many people have heard a growing rumor that Walmart owns Lowes Home Improvement?

No, no, no, you have it all wrong. Home Depot owns Lowes, well, kind of, maybe, sort of. Snopes has some information on ownership. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 506 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hi,
(OK, so I hang out with liberals)

Ned.

I hope you shower afterwards. Liberals tend to have a particular odor that lingers for quite sometime.

Oh, and welcome to the Boards!

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
quote:
Hi,
(OK, so I hang out with liberals)

Ned.

I hope you shower afterwards. Liberals tend to have a particular odor that lingers for quite sometime.
Yeah, like napalm in the morning: it smells like victory!

*ahem*

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People at work have started driving extra distances to get to Home Depot, and when I go to Lowes, people start telling me that I shouldn't shop there "because it's owned by Walmart".

It's a good thing they got their information straight before they marched out in protest against the evil empire that is Wal-Mart. Otherwise that could have been embarrassing!

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Lowes is traded independently of Wal-Mart on the NYSE, therefore it is not a subsidiary, division, or otherwise owned or controlled by The Evil Empire.

Just to be clear you can still be a subsidiary or a division and still have your own stock ticker. A good example for a subsidiary trading is CMG Back in the day Sprint PCS was division of Sprint, but traded under the ticker of PCS. A better way to determine ownership is to look at majority share holders, and Wal-Mart is not one of them. Majority share holders
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ned23
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ned23   E-mail Ned23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mnotr2:
It's a good thing they got their information straight before they marched out in protest against the evil empire that is Wal-Mart. Otherwise that could have been embarrassing!

Well, it's not entirely due to lack of research. There was an error printed in the Detroit Free Press. Someone reading the paper would have initially thought they had the facts. If they never saw the retraction they'd continue to spread the rumor. Here was the retraction they issued:

Getting it straight
November 14, 2004
In Sunday's The Way We Live section, Georgea Kovanis' shopping column incorrectly said that Lowe's is owned by Wal-Mart. The home improvement chain has no connection to Wal-Mart. Here's a link to the cached Google page
(original is no longer on web).

The more I search Google, the more I see that this rumor is spreading.

Posts: 10 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ned23
Fighting Irish Stew

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdmarlin06:

Ned.

I got some forwarded email saying that before. So it has made some email rounds.
[/QUOTE]

Do you suppose someone at Home Depot started those e-mails? We had some curious e-mails circulating here in Columbus that mis-stated the crime rates at the three largest shopping areas (Polaris, Easton, and Tuttle Park). I wondered if it was started by peopel working for the supposedly "low crime" shopping center. Here's why:

The e-mails suggested that one shopping area had a much lower crime rate than it did, and that one other one had a much higher crime rate than it did, even suggesting some very scary assaults and abductions had taken place but that never happened (I could not find the crime reports when searching for them nothing was in the newspapers).

Of course the e-mail ended with that telltale phrase that usually means it's bogus: "Please forward this to everyone you know, now!" As soon as I see that phrase, my BS detector starts going off.

Ned23
Fighting Irish Stew

quote:

Getting it straight
November 14, 2004
In Sunday's The Way We Live section, Georgea Kovanis' shopping column incorrectly said that Lowe's is owned by Wal-Mart. The home improvement chain has no connection to Wal-Mart. Here's a link to the cached Google page
(original is no longer on web).

OK, I just found an online reference to the rumor that pre-dates the Detroit Free Press error by about a year. It's in an online discussion forum from 2004. So it's possible that the columnist for the Free Press was herself a victim of the legend. Link to discussion below:

http://www.lelandreport.com/index.asp?indate=11/29/2004

mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm shocked, shocked to learn that the Detroit Free Press might not be a reliable source of information.

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ned23
Fighting Irish Stew

quote:
Originally posted by mnotr2:
I'm shocked, shocked to learn that the Detroit Free Press might not be a reliable source of information.

Yes, can you believe it? A media outlet that does not check its facts? unheard of...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages