snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Business » Texaco supplied the Nazis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texaco supplied the Nazis?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My family has always stated that Texaco Gasoline supplied the Germans
during WWII through supply chains in South America (Brazil). They say that
during the war, Texaco was selling bonds and advertising the war effort
while this was going on. It was claimed that many Americans lost their
lives an it prolonged the war due to this. My family quoted the head of
Texaco as saying "War is war and business is business" to justify their
actions. After the war, most Texaco stations shut down and Texaco funded
many of the no-name stations as a way to sell their product.

I remember seeing news articles that Texaco had done the same thing during
the first Iraq - Desert Storm war.

I would like to know if Texaco had, in fact, done these things?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick google search produced many results including this one

quote:
Perhaps the Germans could have assembled vehicles and airplanes without American assistance. But Germany desperately lacked strategic raw materials, such as rubber and oil, which were needed to fight a war predicated on mobility and speed. American corporations came to the rescue. As mentioned earlier, Texaco helped the Nazis stockpile fuel. In addition, as the war in Europe got underway, large quantities of diesel fuel, lubricating oil, and other petroleum products were shipped to Germany not only by Texaco but also by Standard Oil, mostly via Spanish ports.
It looks like it was business as usual for many large corporations as Hitler gained control in Germany and even during the wars in Europe.
quote:
In the 1920s many big American corporations enjoyed sizeable investments in Germany. IBM established a German subsidiary, Dehomag, before World War I; in the 1920s General Motors took over Germany's largest car manufacturer, Adam Opel AG; and Ford founded a branch plant, later known as the Ford-Werke, in Cologne. Other US firms contracted strategic partnerships with German companies. Standard Oil of New Jersey — today's Exxon — developed intimate links with the German trust IG Farben. By the early 1930s, an élite of about twenty of the largest American corporations had a German connection including Du Pont, Union Carbide, Westinghouse, General Electric, Gilette, Goodrich, Singer, Eastman Kodak, Coca-Cola, IBM, and ITT. Finally, many American law firms, investment companies, and banks were deeply involved in America's investment offensive in Germany, among them the renowned Wall Street law firm Sullivan & Cromwell, and the banks J. P. Morgan and Dillon, Read and Company, as well as the Union Bank of New York, owned by Brown Brothers & Harriman. The Union Bank was intimately linked with the financial and industrial empire of German steel magnate Thyssen, whose financial support enabled Hitler to come to power. This bank was managed by Prescott Bush, grandfather of George W. Bush. Prescott Bush was allegedly also an eager supporter of Hitler, funnelled money to him via Thyssen, and in return made considerable profits by doing business with Nazi Germany; with the profits he launched his son, the later president, in the oil business.
Many oil companies did business withe the nazis as did many financial organizations, apparently including Bush's family (quoted above in bold) and the Rockefellers.

As far as businesses shutting down and changing names and actually trying to prolong a war, playing one side against the other........ not impossible but wait 'til I get my special hat and I will see where it leads. [Roll Eyes]

ETA: It should also be remembered that during the 1930's and the first part of the war The United States was not at war with Germany. I believe many changes had to take place when the U.S. got involved.

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Until the US declared war on Germany, there was nothing legally wrong with trading with them.

As for the moral issues, the full extent of what the Nazis were doing was not generally known; stories of concentration camps were just not believed, either because they seemed to unbelievable or because they were considered to be Allied war propaganda.

So, if Texaco traded, they did nothing wrong according to the beliefs of the time. Hindsight says otherwise, but they didn't have that.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages