snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Yet Another Gas Scam?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet Another Gas Scam?
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Green Power claims to be able to convert organic trash into diesel fuel in about three minutes.
quote:
The process, as explained by Spitzauer and inventor Christian Koch of Germany, starts with organic waste — such as paper, plastic and textiles, but not glass or metal. The waste was dried, ground up and mixed with waste oil, lime and what Koch described as aluminum silicate, the catalyst at the heart of this process.

The mixture was then poured into a hopper, with what they say is diesel fuel coming out of a spigot. (Although the small demonstration unit required waste oil as part of the feedstock, Spitzauer and Koch said, the production unit would be much larger and would generate its own oil.)

Sure smells like a scam to me.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Uncle Rico
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Rico     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about this particular situation, but bio-diesel fuel (made from vegetable oil) is in use today and seems to me to have some promise, both in terms of reducing reliance on petroleum-based diesel fuel AND significantly reducing dangerous emissions. The idea of diesel fuel based on non-petroleum fuel has been around as long as the diesel engine (I believe Rudolf Diesel actually demonstrated the diesel engine using a peanut oil-based fuel).

Perhaps this is a related technology? Or maybe a scam.

--------------------
Uncle Rico

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn, and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 273 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Rico, you noted they claim this process only takes three minutes?

I know bio-diesel exists and works; the scam sound aspect is the speed. Well, that and the fact this guy has been convicted of fraud before.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This part of the story is what does it for me:

quote:
CEO Michael Spitzauer said, "Someone had to have gone through a great deal of trouble to dig up this information on me. The only people that had anything to gain from exposing this was oil companies. Once Green Power’s technology is implemented nationwide, this country's need for foreign oil will be reduced or eliminated."
That's right in line with the "excess baggage" guideline in Don Lancaster's rules for how to bash pseudoscience.

Edit add: That and the fact that this guy fell for a Nigerian scam...

Bob "BoKu" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you go to the website for the company, you will discover it is related to this thread from last September.

The site, with its badly fractured English, appears to be a copy of the original site. Since Alphakat claims they are the only holders of the patents, it makes you wonder what the US group is up to.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Patent holder on that site you linked, Mad Bunnies, is the partner of the guy in the article ("Dr." Christian Koch).

Seaboe

--------------------

Uncle Rico
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Rico     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Uncle Rico, you noted they claim this process only takes three minutes?

I know bio-diesel exists and works; the scam sound aspect is the speed. Well, that and the fact this guy has been convicted of fraud before.

Seaboe

It certainly does have all the makings of a scam - and probably is, given this guy's less-than-stellar history of such things. Three minutes seems like a stretch for sure.

The only reason I give it ANY possible credibility is because it also seems sort of far-fetched (but true) that an 18-wheeler can run on what is essentially just vegetable oil (similar to what we cook with?) with the viscosity changed.

To me the fact that they had to use "waste oil" as part of the feedstock suggests to me that perhaps the other ingredients might have been superfluous and it was the "waste oil" (perhaps thinned and stretched with some lemon juice and other stuff) that enabled it to be useful as fuel.

--------------------
Uncle Rico

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn, and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 273 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages