snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Mothballs in your gas tank

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mothballs in your gas tank
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A guy told me that putting a handfull of mothballs in your
gas tank every fill-up would "make it run like a scared rabbit".

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Car Talk on mothballs
Apparently there are two types - both will burn, but not improve the performance over normal petrol. One will also give you Hydrocloric Acid as a combustion product. Basically they say that mothballs are more expensive, and don't improve performance, and one type might harm the car, so don't bother

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oh, how I wish my mind weren't filled with dust bunnies and old greeting cards so I could remember stuff better, but, back in the 70's, my mom had the world's best mechanic - a quaint old guy who had worked for GM in Detroit and knew everything about cars. (and was honest and cheap too, which might make you think this whole thing is a fantastic big lie but really! I'm telling the truth, I swear)

He had to look at my car for some problem or other while I was visiting her one time, (it was a Gremlin - so you KNOW I can't be making this up cause why the hell would anybody make up a thing like that)and he changed that little opening where you stick the gas nozzle, so that it was bigger around, and could then accept regular gas instead of unleaded. He took the "unleaded only" sticker off, and told me that my particular model of car, hadn't actually been modified to run properly on unleaded - that they had just changed the nozzle and slapped on a sticker. He said it would run better on leaded.

I think he also said, and this is the part I'm fuzzy on, that I should put a few moth balls and a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas tank once in a while, but I don't remember if that was with leaded or unleaded. I think mothballs are made of napthalene.

I never tried it, and I was very happy when that embarrassing piece of crap died anyway.

(This guy was a really good mechanic but he was pretty clueless about toxins in the environment, I think it just never occured to him though. That was before it was a well known fact that environmentalists are evil. *sarcastic*)

Cars are so much more complicated these days and they've invented catalytic converters since then...what old Hugo told me might not be a good idea today. I don't think I'd try it now, either!

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
coleus
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coleus   E-mail coleus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If by scared rabbit you mean the volkswagen kind I wouldn't try it.

The Car Talk Guys say it's bunk.

ETA: I somehow knew I was going to get spanked. I type and search way too slow sometimes.

Posts: 52 | From: Utah | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure the Mythbusters debunked this one as well.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was covered in mythbusters re-aired in the month of March 2006.

They were out searching for a cadillac to test gunfight episodes where it exploded by a gas tank pop and a gunfire survival from the driver side door while still in the car.

In the particular episode they tested engine destroyer myths using sugar, mothballs, bleach, and one or two other things in the gasoline tank. Bleach was the number one culprit.

They tested the mothball, but it did more noise and possible performance increase than damaging.

They even dropped bleach and a penny in the engine to see if either destroy it. Bleach did the same as dropping it in the gas tank. The penny just clanked, but no harm done.

Not to mention coca cola in the radiator as a possible substitute to coolant with little success, an egg to fix a hole in the radiator as a temporary solution until you replace the radiator.

Not sure if I missed what else they tested.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They even dropped bleach and a penny in the engine to see if either destroy it. Bleach did the same as dropping it in the gas tank. The penny just clanked, but no harm done.

I had an air filter wingnut get sucked down the carburetor of my 72 Volkswagen Type III fastback. It welded to the side of the cylinder wall, and seized the engine. $800 later, I had a bigger motor in it. :-) The nice thing about those old smoldering wrecks is I could rebuild the motor myself with my two left hands.

Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages