snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Don't buy cars built on Monday or Friday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't buy cars built on Monday or Friday
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard from several people that cars built on Wed. are
always better than cars built on Mon. or Fri.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well...I'll ask my hubby what he thinks but IMO from the work ethic mondays are drag your feet and friday you can't wait to get out of there so maybe there is some truth LOL

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think most workers who 'drag their feet' on mondays or are prone to the occasional 'friday job' are most often spotted in the dole queue these days, though I have heard that sometimes the robot manipulator arms get excited and write 'picasso' all over the new machines [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd always heard this belief attributed to the supposed fact that Mondays and Fridays had the highest rates of employee absenteeism among auto workers, therefore you didn't want to buy a car manufactured on those days because some of the assembly steps might have been skipped or too hastily performed by other workers who had to cover for the absent employees in addition to performing their own assigned tasks.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this too because the workers are still hung over from the weekend on Monday and they are so ready to leave on Friday that they might miss a step and try to hurry to get out quickly. I have never gone to the trouble of checking, is this info readily available through the dealer? Puts little faith in the blue collar workers of America.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a quote from Arthur Heiley's "Wheels". Or this fact is quoted in "Wheels". Either way, it's in the book.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My bad: he's Hailey
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You do know that "Wheels" is a work of fiction, right?

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Jocko Jujube

quote:
You do know that "Wheels" is a work of fiction, right?
I do, but my understanding was that it's "based on real facts" kind of fiction. I'm not saying it's true, but this a) tells that the rumor is that old b) gives a possible source and c) gives a rationale (or "rationale").
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bethntim:
I've heard this too because the workers are still hung over from the weekend on Monday and they are so ready to leave on Friday that they might miss a step and try to hurry to get out quickly. I have never gone to the trouble of checking, is this info readily available through the dealer? Puts little faith in the blue collar workers of America.

Older cars may have the exact day on a placard somewhere on the car. Newer cars only have the month and year on the placard on the door. The dealer can probably look it up by the VIN. The information is also on the build sheet, which they should have a copy of. I just avoid the problem by not buying cars made in Michigan...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But is it possible at all in this time to talk about a "car built on a monday" with so many parts being built all around the world, shipped around, and dozens of assembly steps, I guess you'd be challenged to find a car without some friday inside. And the last day possibly is one of the least important ones, some colour finishing maybe?

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
But is it possible at all in this time to talk about a "car built on a monday" with so many parts being built all around the world, shipped around, and dozens of assembly steps, I guess you'd be challenged to find a car without some friday inside. And the last day possibly is one of the least important ones, some colour finishing maybe?

IIRC, the 'build date' on the documentation is the initiation date, not the date it rolled out of the factory. In other words, that's when it starts down the line. It would roll out 2-3 days later. Depends on the process used, but I would venture to guess on that date the body-in-white is constructed and goes through the paint shop. All other major sub-assemblies (engine, trans, sometimes suspension and subframe) are usually assembled elsewhere and arrives at the plant (idealy) just before they're put on the car.

So, you're right, the real build date is irrelevant since major parts are assembled on different days. Of course, odds are that some part of the car was build on a monday or friday!

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:

Also, the injection molded parts tend to be made 24/7, so there would be no consistent Monday/Friday issue with them. Maybe beginning of shift/end of shift issues. Or possibly, 3rd shift I-should-be-in-bed issues. Some injection molded parts do have shift markings on them (as well as month and day), assuming anyone bothered to set them.

If there was any truth to the notion that cars are more poorly made on Mondays and Fridays, and that those errors are completely missed before leaving the plant, someone in QC isn't doing their job very well.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 500 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:
Originally posted by bethntim:

Older cars may have the exact day on a placard somewhere on the car. Newer cars only have the month and year on the placard on the door. The dealer can probably look it up by the VIN. The information is also on the build sheet, which they should have a copy of. I just avoid the problem by not buying cars made in Michigan...
Psst, hey, a lot of "foreign" cars are made in the US--Toyota, BMW, Honda, etc. And Ford and GM and Chrysler have plants all over, including Canada and Mexico. Most of the Dodges come out of MX now, by the trainload.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, when I worked as a mechanical engineer, in Ohio, our plant put out parts for Hondas and Toyotas. Granted it was a Japanese owned company, but it employed a crap-load of Americans. Good money too. Now most of the "American" car plants that are around here are trying to pull out, and go to Mexico.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen:
Psst, hey, a lot of "foreign" cars are made in the US--Toyota, BMW, Honda, etc. And Ford and GM and Chrysler have plants all over, including Canada and Mexico. Most of the Dodges come out of MX now, by the trainload.

Which makes my choices of cars not made in Michigan just that much larger. My current cars were built in Claycomo Missouri, Normal Illinois, and Bowling Green Kentucky. All three were built in UAW plants. All three have American nameplates. It's just that having worked in the auto industry in Michigan, I've no stomach for buying a car made there. Kinda like the old adage about people who like sausages shouldn't see them made. The sad fact is that US-badged cars made in Mexico have better build quality than the ones built in Michigan.

--------------------

Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me start off by asking this question:

What difference does it make, IF, your car series is a lemon model?

(Serious)

I owned a Dodge Intrepid '99. And the car had severe problems from the get-go. If I were to pull up the repair history, I've complained about this car at least 20 times during the summer when the air conditioner failed, the repair job ran in the near 10 grand for all complaints combined.

My expert mechanic had to rip out the dashboard and several engine components to get to the main source of the problem the coolant to the air conditioner. Then he had to do it again when it wasn't the right box.

Even Discovery's Mythbusters had a problem with the piece of junk Intrepid when they had to change the battery out because you have to rip off the right front tire to pull it out.

Plus with the extra security features to the Dodge/Chrysler series. Such as you have to buy their hubcaps and not put your own on. Because it's a special mounting design for all their wheels.

------------------

No I don't know if the car was made on Monday or Friday, although it probably took them seven days to put one car together with how complicated the heaps are. It probably doesn't make any day difference at all.

A lemon is to a lemon as an intrepid is to a piece of dogdoodoo.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nappy Solo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nappy Solo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you'll find that the Japanese build cars with small groups or teams overseeing each other's work. They've revoluntionized everything else in the automotive world, so why not assembly? I read an interesting report about differences in their approach at the Marysville, Ohio Honda plant versus a Jeep plant. The story also told of Jeep workers putting objects in the doors of the cars to create rattles, when they were unhappy with some union goings on. The point of this group approach is cross training people so they can work on several aspects of assembly, not just one thing. The group can also work on ways to improve things, and critique each other's work. This really lessens the chance that one particular car will be a lemon, no matter when it is built.

(Just so you won't think I'm biased against the traditional U.S. brands, I've owned 4 GM, one Jeep, one Toyota, and four Hondas since 1990. The last "U.S." vehicle, was a 2000 model year, and it will indeed be the "last" I ever own. I've given them a fair chance, and deep down, wanted them to be better than they really were. Just can't afford to give them one more chance, when I can go to someone else and get a vehicle that is a sure thing.)

--------------------
Virtue is its own reward. But, then again, so is vice....

Posts: 167 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this legend tossed around as a joke. If you have a car that happens to be a hunk o' junk you might say, "Well, we could drive my car to Florida, but I think it was built on a Monday." The sort of thing nobody really believes, but is fun to pretend to believe it.

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
aren't most cars manufactured in semi-automative factories, whereupon the workers are doing little more than visuals these days?
The day of the week of manufacture could make only miniscule differences. The main differences are in the brands.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bounder
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bounder     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The quality of American cars seems to be the roll of the dice. I don't ever recall having purchased a lemon, but after reading what consumer reports said about the American Models, I will certainly give the Japanese Market serious consideration with my next purchase. Ten years ago, I would not have ever thought that either.
Posts: 15 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WizyWyg
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WizyWyg   E-mail WizyWyg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i thought that a majority of all cars made are made by mechanical robots with humans just eyeballing the product as it rolls down the line.
Posts: 160 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages