snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Drano explosion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drano explosion
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Althought not really new, I've heard that putting Draino capsules in a
small container or empty gel capsule and then putting into a fuel tank of
a automobile will result in a fire that will cause the fuel tank to
explode. Any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would imagine if there is actually fuel in the fuel tank, adding cilantro would cause it to explode if any kind of flame is introduced. [Big Grin]

Have never heard the Drano thing tho.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alicia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicia   Author's Homepage   E-mail alicia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
empty gel capsule and then putting into a fuel tank of
a automobile will result in a fire

i can't even imagine trying to get draino into an empty gel capsule. oh, wait- that would be impossible [Razz]
Posts: 131 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Althought not really new, I've heard that putting Draino capsules in a
small container or empty gel capsule and then putting into a fuel tank of
a automobile will result in a fire that will cause the fuel tank to
explode. Any truth to this?

Crystal Drano contains lye and aluminum shavings. Mixing the two in water results in a highly exothermic reaction - one which would be hot enough to ignite gasoline. However, from what little I could find:

quote:
Crystal Drano...
does not react with gasoline at ALL. I tried it yesterday and got NO EFFECT. Drano fizzes with water but just sits there in gas. Also, an interesting thing to try is to take a bunch of Drano and put it in a bottle that you can make air tight. Fill the bottle with water and then put some medium sizes balls of aluminum foil into the bottle and screw the lid on as tight as you can. The Drano will eat the aluminum foil and turn it into some gasses which will cause the top to blow off the bottle or the bottle to explode...

From what I could find from other sources, it seems likely that the lye in the drano would react with the gasoline to form glycerine or something soaplike. I wouldn't count on dry crystal Drano to cause any pyrotechnics in a gas tank. Drano and water, on the other hand ..

buf 'especially since the "gasses" being formed is hydrogen' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think that is supposed to be putting bleach in a capsule and dropping it into a gas tank, not drano.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this is based on a bit of truth. Back when I worked in a grocery store, we had a drain that got really clogged. To unclog it, we first poured in a lot of bleach. When that didn’t work, we poured Drano on top of the bleach. It didn’t unclog the drain, but it did produce a really toxic gas that filled the room (we stumbled out, coughing and choking). We had to evacuate the store and let whatever gas that was dissipate. It was fun.

If I had poured the Drano & bleach into a tank, it might have exploded...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. I doubt a gel capsule will dissolve in gasoline. Gel capsules are designed to dissolve in water. Things that dissolve in water usually do not dissolve in gas (and vice versa).

2. Drano + water will not get hot enough to ignite anything since you can't get water any hotter than ~212F (in an open container). That's a couple hundred degrees below the ignition temperature of gasoline.

3. Even if the capsule dissolved, the lye will not dissolve in gasoline and of course aluminum doesn't dissolve in gasoline either.

So, putting Drano in gas is not going to cause an explosion.

Lye + aluminum + water does generate hydrogen gas which is more explosive than gasoline. But this combination will also not auto-ignite. If it did explode would you be able to by Drano, which is meant to be dumped into water, at the store?

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin in the wind:
Actually, I think that is supposed to be putting bleach in a capsule and dropping it into a gas tank, not drano.

The Mythbusters tested that one. The bleach and gasoline did react to form some sort of goopy substance*, but it definately didn't explode.

*Although my memory is a little bit fuzzy. They added several different substances to the gas tank on thay episode. But I remember something reacted with gasilone to form goo, and I'm 99% sure it was the bleach.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once put gas in a styrofoam container, and it turned to goo...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noysey
The Swordfish in the Stone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noysey   E-mail noysey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The dry Drano is lye, a strong base compound. What will react with it explosively would be a strong acid. Some of the other drain cleaners are based on a strong acid. Be careful, if you mix them together you will get a strong reaction. That is why they caution you against using different drain cleaners at the same time. Read the warning labels.
Posts: 161 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages