snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Automobiles » Bologna will strip the paint off cars? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bologna will strip the paint off cars?
Revolution 9
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really want to discolour someone's paint, emptying a bottle of brake fluid over the area should probably do the trick, it's corrosive stuff, and I have seen on plenty of occasions a car with a brake fluid leak, where any paint the leak comes into contact with is damaged. The only thing is I've never actually measured the time it takes for this to happen so I'm entirely sure how long the fluid would have to be lying on the area. Anothert problem is I suppose what with the sort of sloping and curved shapes of most modern cars' shilouttes it'd be hard to get something with the viscosity of brake fluid to lie on much of the motor for long, but I reckon if you splashed a bottle of brake fluid all over a car then some of it would lie long enough to discolour it, especially on flat panels like the roof of an estate car, van or 4x4, or on the bootlid of saloon cars with flattish bootlids (that's the trunk of the car I'm on about for those of you in North America!)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Satan laughs as you eternally rot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Satan laughs as you eternally rot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Satan laughs as you eternally rot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think i saw this on a website called Rotteneggs.com . Its one of those sites for prankster kids. Like me.

--------------------
Satan laughs as you eternaly rot = Slayer = my favorite band

check them out at http://www.slayerized.com , http://www.slayer.net , http://www.kfkindustries.com , etc.

Posts: 71 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Satan laughs as you eternally rot:
I think i saw this on a website called Rotteneggs.com . Its one of those sites for prankster kids. Like me.

*Checks SLWYER's location.

*Heaves sigh of relief.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you really want to discolour someone's paint, emptying a bottle of brake fluid over the area should probably do the trick, it's corrosive stuff, and I have seen on plenty of occasions a car with a brake fluid leak, where any paint the leak comes into contact with is damaged. The only thing is I've never actually measured the time it takes for this to happen so I'm entirely sure how long the fluid would have to be lying on the area. Anothert problem is I suppose what with the sort of sloping and curved shapes of most modern cars' shilouttes it'd be hard to get something with the viscosity of brake fluid to lie on much of the motor for long
I once at work got a complaint from someone with a new car 2005 Toyota Matrix that her dad had given her as a gift and someone poured a bottle of brake fluid (they left the bottle) over the car and it ruined the paint job very badly

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
with regard to Eggs, i have noticed that eggs can mar the paint... or at least robin eggs do... somehow a robin's egg landed on the hood of my 1998 Chev S-10, and marred the paint (outline of the egg shell remained til the truck was sold), it was on there for at most an evening... I rinsed it off right away. but the damage was done.
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
shaving cream. You know, when you decorate the car for a wedding, and you use shaving cream on the windows? Get any on the car, and it does damage to the paint.

This I know b/c my good friend's car was "decorated" by her family at her wedding. PB under the handles, shaving cream on the windows and doors . . . the whole nine yards. They didn't wash it for a couple days, (guess they were busy), and now you can totally see the discolaration of where the shaving cream touched the paint.

--------------------
"To begin with take warning, I am surely far different from what you suppose;"
~Walt Whitman

Question everything . . .

Posts: 266 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nod
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can confirm that some brake fluids will strip paint. When I had a decent motorcycle, I always used the Silicon based brake fluid (?Dot3), so that any spills wouldn't harm the finish.

It's not only shaving cream/foam that can damage the paint of a wedding car. Lipstick will stain through the lacquer. Bullsh*t (and cowsh*t!) doesn't do paint much good either - a cow cr*pped on my bonnet (hood) a few years ago and the paint was never the same afterwards!

--------------------
Many a True Word Spoken in Jest!

Posts: 73 | From: Devon, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can not vouch for food materials causing it, but pine sap would definitely have an ill effect on your car paint.

I have a pine tree next door to my house and my car sometimes sits underneath it. It spits it on the side of my car and dries up on the paint. The only way to remove it is by scratching it off with something delicate like a butterknife.

It comes off but leaves nasty scratches all over the top layer.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that alcohol-based solvents work very well on sap-- in fact, I once salvaged a desk chair some college students had left sitting outside, which had sticky drops of resin on it. That hand sanitizer gel removed the resin quite effectively (though the cloth upholstery was permanently discolored-- no telling how long the stuff had been on the chair).
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages