snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Book Corner » Post Apocalyptic Books (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Post Apocalyptic Books
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for titles of post-apocalyptic books. These are probably my favorite genre of book.

I've read the standards: "The Stand," "Swan Song," "Lucifer's Hammer," "Alas Babylon," "New Madrid Run," "On the Beach" and some others. I'm really interested in more.

I'm not particularly interested in religious themed ones, like the "Left Behind" series, or the one I just got from Booksfree, "The Silence." Some fantasy and/or supernatural elements are fine.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them! Thanks!

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EmeraldCityAlchemist
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldCityAlchemist   E-mail EmeraldCityAlchemist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Riddley Walker?

Or maybe A Canticle for Leibowitz?

--------------------
I wish I knew what the hell I was doing.

Posts: 47 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Last Ship by William Brinkley. The crew of a US Navy destroyer finds themselves alone after a nuclear war.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewert. The classic ecological end of the world story.

Eternity Road by Jack McDevitt.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Z for Zachariah by Robert C, O'Brien.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nightfall
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightfall   E-mail Nightfall   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My suggestions are:

Ill Wind by Anderson and Beason

Vanishing Point by Michaela Roessner

Out of the two Vanishing Point is probably the better book.

--------------------
Darkness comes where Nightfall goes. -- from The Legend of Nightfall

Posts: 791 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I guess I actually haven't read that much of this genre. 1984 might sort-of fit, although it takes place long after the world as we knew it had come to an end and been taken over by totalitarian governments. And you've almost certainly already read it.

Childhood's End by Arthur Clarke involves something like the end of the world and what happens after, although it's also probably not quite in the post-apocalyptic genre. Excellent book, though.

The Books of Swords by Fred Saberhagen are a series of commendable fantasy novels that take place long after the world as we know it has ended after a nuclear war and "magic has returned to the world." The technology and culture of the past are remembered as belonging to "the Old Ones," or something like that.

Hmmm... The Planet of the Apes series?

That's all I've got.

ETA: Other possibilities: The Handmaiden's Tale? Logan's Run? I haven't read them, but from what I've heard they're pretty good and seem to fit the genre.

ETA: "after a nuclear war" to the note on Saberhagen's books.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite book of all time The Gate To Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There a short YA one called The Last War by Martyn Godfrey.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Owl Boy

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Owl Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One excellent PA book is The "Third Pandemic" which has a long sequence about life in contemporary Seattle after a great plague. A super criminal named Harvey (NOT the rabbit) controls crime and the city from the Space Needle.

--------------------
"The Giant Bees! The Giant Bees!"
Uncle Nick

Posts: 7 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Owl Boy

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Owl Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Day of the Triffids" is a great PA as the sighted survivors of giant walking plant attacks struggle to live in their decimated world. (Even without the help of Round Up.)

--------------------
Uncle Nick

Posts: 7 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Day of the Triffids." My all time favorite cheezy movie. Both versions!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My very first PA book (and still a favorite) was Andre Norton's "Star Man's Son" (renamed "Daybreak - 2250 AD" when it was reprinted). Hmmm, maybe it's time to find that one again.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I was going to suggest Taronga by Victor Kelleher but it seems you can't get it in the States. It's set in Australia 2 years after nuclear war.

In the YA vein there's The Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher.

Not sure if this qualifies, but Steel Beach by John Varley takes place on the moon after humans have been forced off of Earth by invaders.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember liking Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien, Isobel Carmody's Obernewtyn(sp?) series and Devil on my back by Monica Hughes as a child. I also remember The lake at the end of the world by Caroline Macdonald, but I can't recall if I enjoyed it or not.

Ooh! Almost forgot... Where late the sweet birds sang by Kate Wilhelm, a favorite for many years, and the Xenogenesis trilogy by Octavia Butler, although that's not actually set on Earth as such.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This Time of Darkness by H M Hoover. YA, but good.

Children of Morrow, another YA by H M Hoover.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't a novel, but i really enjoyed this.

Great for Apocalypse fans.

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   E-mail Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the Way the World Ends by Christopher Morrow

--------------------
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... he is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Posts: 134 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sandman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sandman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm....I like most of the ones already mentioned, but how about:

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. (Yeah, I know the dude was a freak, and the movie was the film equivelent of having a colonoscopy in a Russian clinic by a woman named "Olga" with hands the size of canned hams, but the book is actually really good.)

Lucifer's Hammer by the great Larry Niven and Jerry Pournel.

E. E. Knight has an interesting series out set in a post-alien/vampire invaded earth. The first one is called "Way of the Wolf" I believe. Popcorn fiction, but enjoyable.

I Am Legend by the legendary Richard Matheson.

For others, try this site, it's dedicated to PA fiction of all kinds:

http://www.emptyworld.info/book_index.html

--------------------
"I will tell you in another life, when we are both cats."

Posts: 308 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a long time since I read this, and it gets a little cheesy in parts, but it still had an interesting spin on things in a crumbling America plagued by racism, among other problems. It's basically the post-apocalyptic version of a beach book, so don't go in expecting "The Stand" or anything.

Aftermath, by LeVar Burton

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the OP I would suggest Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, which made a 13 hour flight quite bearable.

Astra, you forgot to say "Of course, you don't have to take my word for it." Without that, I might accidentally take your word for it.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Amazon will be happy to see me coming! [Smile]

Thanks, Sandman, for the link. Once I finish everyone's suggestions, I'll try those out.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost forgot A.M. Lightner's Day of the Drones.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
Astra, you forgot to say "Of course, you don't have to take my word for it." Without that, I might accidentally take your word for it.

Bwahaha! Now I have the mental image of him trying to plug his book on Reading Rainbow...

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eternity Road is a great book. And it would make a fine movie. Also, another Pournelle and Niven book that is sort of post-apocalyptic is Footfall. I especially like the fact that the invading aliens resemble wooly mammoths.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An invasion force made up of baby elephants riding paper aeroplanes. [lol] I always have that image stuck in my head for a week or two after reading Footfall.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Owl Boy

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Owl Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O.T. Nelson's "The Girl Who Owned A City" is a classic YA PA

--------------------
Uncle Nick

Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...And Call Me Conrad aka This Immortal by Roger Zelazney definitely belongs on your list.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that this didn't make it to the list, Terry Brooks' Shannara Series. SO made the point when he was going on about Armageddon's Children that the whole series is post-apocalyptic.

ETA: Chiming in on some of the other suggestions:

Earth Abides - This one is a must. I can't even being to count the number of times I've bought and lent out this book. It's worth it.

Day of the Drones I remember reading this in high school. The only copies you'll find are used, unless they've reprinted it again.

Aftermathp/i] - It's an interesting read, but you're better off finding it in a library than buying it.

[i]Children of the Dust
- Another book that can only be found used. A very interesting read.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it is because the Shannara series is post-Apocalyptic on another world? It has been awhile since I read them, but IMS, they were set on not-Earth. To me, PA is set on Earth or on planets or colonies setup by Earth-descended humans and deals with the aftermath of the destruction (or near-destruction) of Earth.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edmund Cooper wrote some pretty good post-apocalyptic sci-fi, my favourite would be The Cloud Walker, but All Fools' Day is also very good.

And I can't believe that Farnham's Freehold hasn't got a mention yet given the amount of snopesters who are Heinlein fans.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Maybe it is because the Shannara series is post-Apocalyptic on another world? It has been awhile since I read them, but IMS, they were set on not-Earth. To me, PA is set on Earth or on planets or colonies setup by Earth-descended humans and deals with the aftermath of the destruction (or near-destruction) of Earth.

I thought the same thing - magic, can't be on this world, and that's what threw me. But after reading Armageddon's Children (a good use of my Labor Day weekend, heh), I think that Brooks purposely made it feel that way. The whole story could be on just about any world, not just ours.

Also, my view of PA was that it didn't necessarily have to be on Earth. It could be any planet that has intelligent life and is facing extinction/destruction by either the hand of man (nuclear war or other means, including pollution) or by nature itself.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Stand's pretty good.
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if these ones are quite post-apocalyptic but I like The Secret Under My Skin and The Chrysalids

Also to a lesser extent, The Giver and its sequels.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolf333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolf333     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Dark Advent" By Brian Hodge
"Afterage" by Yvonne Navarro
"Wet Work" by Phillip Nutman

--------------------
"We take evil really seriously"

Posts: 175 | From: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll third the recommendation for Earth Abides. Very great novel.

Can someone help me remember the title of a novel I read years ago. The Earth somehow splits into two alternative universes; Only women exist on the one Earth, only men on the other. The novel deals with how each gender copes without the help of the other. (Guess who copes better. Go on. Guess. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages