snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » World's Best Divorce Letter (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: World's Best Divorce Letter
terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:
The bit about "My moderately attractive Connie" and the remote serve to show that the letter is not actually about winning Connie back, but to belittle her, whilst making her jealous about his sex life and "putting her in her place". To me this all supports the joke. i.e. the joke is on Dan, not Connie.

That's actually my point exactly. He's trying to belittle her; in other words, he's deliberately trying to hurt her. Again, for him to be deliberately doing that makes the argument that he doesn't realize he's being a jerk seem pretty weak to me. This is a letter from a guy who's trying to be an asshole and succeeding.

quote:
My comment about analyzing the joke was not meant to imply that you cannot find it funny, or have no sense of humour. Apologies if it came off that way. What I am trying to say is that any joke could be over-analysed and we can point to attitudes that do not exist, or that the author did not intend to convey (and I do not mean attitudes the author is trying to hide, I mean unintentional meaning derived by the reader that the Author did not intend). A joke is supposed to be found funny instantly, not after analysis. I found it funny instantly, and other have anlysed the hell out to support their viewpoint. I'm having to analyse the humour as I see it to support mine, and round and round we go.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the analysis of jokes. My view: Whether or not the author intended an attitude to be there, any piece of writing can reveal the underlying assumptions they make. I think digging up those assumptions is a valuable exercise.

This is a piece of email lore. As such, there are lots of good questions to ask: Why do individual people pass this on? What sort of people do? What does the popularity of a piece like this show about the culture that supports it?

I think we can get to the bottom of it partially by analyzing the text of the piece. You're free to disagree or not care, but I'll still ask you and others questions about your particular readings.

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terralioness:
I'll happily concede that this point agrees with your reading. Not necessarily so with the other ironic readings that have been put forward.

Well, I'm certainly not about to speak for anyone else. I'm surprised that more people don't see it this way, and I don't really get the "ironic" reading, if you assume that he's trying to hurt her, either.

quote:
My point is basically that what little information we have about Connie fits the stereotype of the "overreacting divorcee" very well -- the fact that she clearly has the kids, the fact that she's used the law to force certain behaviors (keeping him away from her and probably the kids), and the side fact that she was occupied with a career and the kids, thus not always available for sex.
Okay, I can give you that. But I think that the sheer volume of information that we get about Dan (who is just as bad a stereotype) makes the reading of him being the one being mocked more likely, doesn't it? I certainly don't see any reading where it's possible to portray Dan in any kind of good light (unless you're the worst kind of mysoganist yourself) and, similarly, I don't see much room for portraying Connie in a bad light (again, unless you're a really bad mysoganist to start with).

Certianly, from my experience, there are men like that out there, but the vast majority of them are not.
quote:
And Connie just happens to be the sort of character that many pMRAs (pseudo-men's rights activists, the type that Ryda has referred to before) love to villainize.
I thought we'd decided on "PRAM" as an acronym? It's not accurate, but it's funnier and, well, is a good example of using humour to belittle an oppressor and take away their power.

quote:
Similarly, it doesn't seem to matter that he doesn't give a damn about the kids; I include it only because it's such a classic part of the "man in the divorce gets screwed" scenario, and it seems important that it shows up here. (Is there any other reason why the letter would concern a couple that has kids, rather than a childless one?)
I agree that that's one stereotype of an "evil ex" but, again, whether that speaks to hoe Connie is supposed to be portrayed, or whether it's a symptom of Dan's attitude to women that's being lampooned is open to interpretation. I think that the fact that Dan doesn't seem to see the kids as anything other than a nuisance backs up the reading that it's his attitude that's the butt of the joke more than it does that it's her "vileness".

Why a couple with kids rather than a childless one? Because having kids is something that can make a sex life more awkward for a couple, and this is something that a man like Dan would see as a legitimate beef.

quote:
It might be that you have to bring a bias to the table to see this, or it might be that it takes a certain familiarity with gender issues and pMRA/MRA stances to recognize it. Either way, it really does jump out at me.
I do have a familiarity with gender issues and PRAM stances, but all I saw was the "kids = no sex" side of it. I really don't see anything whatsoever in the letter that associates Dan with those concerned about "father's rights", wheras I do see evidence that connects him with the "sexist prick who sees kids as a burden" stereotype.

I honestly think that you have to reach to get to a stance on father's rights out of it.

quote:
There are times when satire comes so close to the real thing that it's indistinguishable, and at those times, it's useless as satire. If the letter was supposed to be ironic, these points of ambiguity do it no service.
Well, I said from the off that I thought it was badly-written and unfunny. I still stand by that.

quote:
Another ambiguous point, yes. I'd be more likely to lean towards your interpretation if it weren't phrased angrily.
It might be meant to be exhasperated rather than angry at her. It might be meant to be typical language from someone like me who swears a lot in everyday conversation.

Or, what seems most likely to me, it's probably added after the fact by a 14 year old kid who thinks that using the word "****" makes something funnier, regardless of the context or content.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is a piece of email lore. As such, there are lots of good questions to ask: Why do individual people pass this on? What sort of people do? What does the popularity of a piece like this show about the culture that supports it?
Some people pass it on because they are sexist and they want to show their buddies how this "awesome" guy put his "bitch" in her place.

Some people pass it on to show their friends what kind of asshole sent it to them, and expressing their dismay at this piece of sexist literature.

Some people burst out laughing at it and pass it on without thinking about why it made them laugh.

Some people laugh at the sheer inappropriateness, shock value, and awfulness of this piece.

Some people want to reserve judgement and ask others what they think of it and then agree with whatever they say, as so not to stir the pot.

And I'm sure that there are other reasons, too.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
I remember when we used to have to discuss urban legends in the snow, uphill both ways.

Cite? [Wink]

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think it's a bunch of overly analytical crapola.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
I still think it's a bunch of overly analytical crapola.

I hadn't assumed your opinion had changed since that last time you said that. Do you have any different reasons or explanations from the last time you mentioned this?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Some people pass it on because they are sexist and they want to show their buddies how this "awesome" guy put his "bitch" in her place.

Some people pass it on to show their friends what kind of asshole sent it to them, and expressing their dismay at this piece of sexist literature.

Some people burst out laughing at it and pass it on without thinking about why it made them laugh.

Some people laugh at the sheer inappropriateness, shock value, and awfulness of this piece.

Some people want to reserve judgement and ask others what they think of it and then agree with whatever they say, as so not to stir the pot.

And I'm sure that there are other reasons, too.

Some people, no doubt, pass it on to provoke discussion, not only of the issues involved, but the origins of the peice. After all, posting it here is passing it on.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
Well, I'm certainly not about to speak for anyone else. I'm surprised that more people don't see it this way, and I don't really get the "ironic" reading, if you assume that he's trying to hurt her, either.

Then we're on the same page. I just didn't want to come off like I was signing off on the point in all readings.

quote:
Okay, I can give you that. But I think that the sheer volume of information that we get about Dan (who is just as bad a stereotype) makes the reading of him being the one being mocked more likely, doesn't it? I certainly don't see any reading where it's possible to portray Dan in any kind of good light (unless you're the worst kind of mysoganist yourself) and, similarly, I don't see much room for portraying Connie in a bad light (again, unless you're a really bad mysoganist to start with).
Possibly and possibly. I'm beginning to think it's likely that the piece was written with your interpretation in mind, but that poor writing -- or underlying attitudes, either one -- made it into the sort of thing a misogynist could celebrate. The piece as it is still bothers me for that.

quote:
I thought we'd decided on "PRAM" as an acronym? It's not accurate, but it's funnier and, well, is a good example of using humour to belittle an oppressor and take away their power.
I like it! I'd forgotten what the conclusion was and had no idea which thread that discussion was in.

quote:
I agree that that's one stereotype of an "evil ex" but, again, whether that speaks to hoe Connie is supposed to be portrayed, or whether it's a symptom of Dan's attitude to women that's being lampooned is open to interpretation. [snip]

I honestly think that you have to reach to get to a stance on father's rights out of it.

The father's rights movement may not be the best way for me to express what I'm thinking, even though it fits very closely with the attitude I'm trying to talk about. Suffice it to say that I see the ideas associated with the father's rights movement (and PRAMs!) as pervasive enough that it could get into a piece like this without the writer necessarily being a formal part of it.

So yes, we get lots more information about Dan than Connie. But the little information we do get paints a very specific stereotypical picture, and as you've said, there's no way for us to distinguish whether that's a reflection of Dan or a reflection of the author. Right now I'm thinking that both are valid readings.

quote:
Well, I said from the off that I thought it was badly-written and unfunny. I still stand by that. [snip]

Or, what seems most likely to me, it's probably added after the fact by a 14 year old kid who thinks that using the word "****" makes something funnier, regardless of the context or content.

Badly-written, unfunny, and I guess pretty widely passed around. Ambiguities about stereotypes and all, it's a popular piece. I think that says something kind of depressing.

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
You'd have to ask one of the real old-timers for a definitive answer, but pretty much, yeah.

Some of them would be Bonnie, Gayle, Jenn, pinqy, Kathy B, AliBaba, Mosherette....I saw tdn posting the other day too. They were all here when I first started posting in 1999. By that time there were two boards, the UL and the SLC. I can remember some quite spirited debates (to put it mildly) in the SLC even back in those days. Some of those old timers can remember just the UL board, but I don't.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I started posting in 2001 and for the longest time I thought the non-UL section of the board was only for members of an "inner circle". At any rate by 2001 though there was a lot of conversation along non-UL lines and considering snopes himself starts a good chunk of those conversations with the news articles he posts I don't think it's a problem.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I started posting in 2001 and for the longest time I thought the non-UL section of the board was only for members of an "inner circle". At any rate by 2001 though there was a lot of conversation along non-UL lines and considering snopes himself starts a good chunk of those conversations with the news articles he posts I don't think it's a problem.

Is "inner circle" the same as "cinnamon ring"?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:

Bahdumdum!!

And the best post of the thread goes to......

Zachary Fizz!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:

Genius ! [lol] [lol]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

First of all, I seem to be the only person that views the letter as a "genuine" attempt to get back with her, rather than as an attempt to hurt her. The guy that says hurtful and stupid things to a woman and is too wrapped up in himself to even notice that what he's saying could be hurtful or stupid - and so then wonders why the woman would be less than flattered that he's said them......

I thought we are supposed to think it's genuine and then the joke is on us because it just keeps getting more and more absurd.

The first paragraph sucks you into the sincerity. As he started taking about the first woman in the second paragraph and used the term "desperate", I thought of a tv show I saw recently (an epeisode of Lost with Jack's flashback) where the couple is having troubles and the man tearfully confesses that he kissed another woman--I'm thinking of the dilemma about whether to confess a one-time infidelity because you need to clear your conscience or not to confess to keep from hurting your partner. (On the tv show she cries but then says "I'm seeing someone else and I'm leaving you" but I digress.)

I first thought Dan's pretty tactless. Then of course it's gets more and more over the top and I'm thinking "there can't be anyone this stupid, they're just making fun of a clueless asshole." GOTCHA at me for thinking this was going to be something serious. Connie seems portrayed as a normal person who would certainly be lucky to rid of this pervert.

Any details that might contradict that reading were obviously overlooked by me. The above was just my thought process when I read the piece.

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
You're newish to the board, ertceps, so you probably won't have heard of my "inappropriate capitalization = bit of an arse" theory. Shame, really.

After reading the whole thread and your posts in particular...I note that you have the habit of emphasizing words by bolding them and you seem to think this is just fine but when I emphasize a word by CAPITALIZING it you equate that to being proof of my being a "bit of an arse"

Can you explain the distinction to me please?

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ertceps:
quote:
You're newish to the board, ertceps, so you probably won't have heard of my "inappropriate capitalization = bit of an arse" theory. Shame, really.

After reading the whole thread and your posts in particular...I note that you have the habit of emphasizing words by bolding them and you seem to think this is just fine but when I emphasize a word by CAPITALIZING it you equate that to being proof of my being a "bit of an arse"

I'm not Dara, but I can tell you in most contexts on the web, capitalizing is considered equivalent to yelling at one's reader. In this particular setting, it also might suggest that you want to emphasize your words but can't be bothered to use UBB code.

Bolding and italics, OTOH, are accepted typographical ways to emphasize words in written work (books, newspapers, magazines).

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by ertceps:
quote:

I'm not Dara, but I can tell you in most contexts on the web, capitalizing is considered equivalent to yelling at one's reader. In this particular setting, it also might suggest that you want to emphasize your words but can't be bothered to use UBB code.

Bolding and italics, OTOH, are accepted typographical ways to emphasize words in written work (books, newspapers, magazines).

Maybe, but I think it is kind of odd to point out that capitlization makes you an ass when you want to emphasize words, but bolding them is fine. I don't think it's that big of a difference. Not a big enough one to make an issue over at least.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CAPITALIZING WHOLE CHUNKS OF POST IS OFTEN SEEN AS SHOUTING RATHER THAN EMPHASIZING. AND IT CAN BE QUITE ANNOYING. Not that I don't do it on occasion, but with the caveat that I'm often annoying on purpose (I'm a middle child).

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

I tend to use italics, because I think that ]b]bolding[/b] can also sound a bit like shouting. Mind you, I've met Dara, and he's not often quiet.

I think that frequency is also an issue. There's a certain tendency, it seems, in people who CAPITALISE certain words to do it FAR MORE FREQUENTLY than people who use other means. And doing it more frequently, in a strange way, actually lessens the emphasis given.

Still, at least it's just putting whole words in capitals. There's no Hope for those who capitalise the First Letter in seemingly random Words.

--------------------

STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to use italics to emphasize things as well, but I could see how it's easier to capitalize. Bolding is no different than capitalizing to me. I should say it really depends on the overall tone of the post (which can be rather subjective) as to how I take the use of capital letters or bolding.

EDITED: to replace "see" with "say."

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
CAPITALIZING WHOLE CHUNKS OF POST IS OFTEN SEEN AS SHOUTING RATHER THAN EMPHASIZING.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Can you repeat it? [Razz]

I find capitalization to be annoying, too. But I'm an editor, so I would. Italics or underscore work just as well, and aren't so ... well, contrary to the rules of grammar.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by STF:

Say what you see, say what you see.

Little chance of an American getting that reference.

--------------------

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by STF:

Say what you see, say what you see.

Little chance of an American getting that reference.

What's Mr. Chips doing?

Greatest TV moment ever.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Brilliant.

Or, in this thread, should I say "Genius!"

--------------------

Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from the fact that capitalisation does look like shouting when written down, lower case text is also designed for readability. All capitalised text is harder to read. Italics generally get the trick donw, but on text files where only plan text can be used, using _underscores_ or *asterisks* can be acceptable ways of emphasis.

I'll see where that form of emphasis puts you on the Dara Arseometer.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot believe that I just read through all 12 pages. No, wait, I can believe that. What I can't believe is that I'm somehow silly enough to attempt a reply.

Warning! I'm well-known as 'that chick that doesn't always make sense'!

quote:
Nobody really bought that, really. You were just covering your arse, I reckon, though of course I can't speak for anyone else. Be that as it may, just because you acclaim something else as genius, it neither automatically validates nor invalidates your previous acclaim for genius. It's a non-issue.
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke. Now, I am *not* trying to be insulting to anyone or anyone's opinion, but I do find myself wondering... Dara, you seemed so certain that Alfred was laughing at the OP because of some hidden sexist reason, and was only using the irony comment to cover his arse. It seemed to me that you singled him out of the irony crew as the only one who was 'covering his arse' and it almost seems like you were doing it because he's a he. Cervus had, more or less, the same opinion, and I don't recall you saying anything along those lines to her. Before I move on, I'd like to point out: I just read through 12 pages of this, so it's possible I missed something, and I want to make it clear that this is just something that struck me, and not something I'm touting as fact.

The OP is... well, it's very silly, and not overly funny, but I didn't think it at all possible to get so het up about such a little thing. When I started reading the thread I was so incensed at those who were making this into some serious issue, but at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is. As far as the OP itself...

quote:
We are (all of us) the butt of this joke. It fails to work at so many levels...
Truer words have never been spoken...

Dragon's "Can you tell that I'm supposed to be taking a test?" Jewel

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon's Jewel:
at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is.

Then you missed the issue. Thanks for playing. Please try again.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Nobody really bought that, really. You were just covering your arse, I reckon, though of course I can't speak for anyone else. Be that as it may, just because you acclaim something else as genius, it neither automatically validates nor invalidates your previous acclaim for genius. It's a non-issue.
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke.
No I didn't. I said it in reply to FoA's reference to his subsequent acclaim of an entirely different joke, guru's reply letter to Dan from Connie. So therefore I hadn't singled him out from the irony crew as the only one who was "covering his arse," since it wasn't his irony argument that I considered to be "covering his arse," it was his acclaim of guru's reply. In retrospect, however, that may have been unfair.

Perhaps the reason I may have seemed to be targeting FoA was because we had already started a back-and-forth debate before that, as often happens in these sort of threads. One might as well accuse him of targeting me, since many of his posts were primarily addressed at me.

Glad I could straighten that out for you.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dara: Thanks!
Ryda: Just my opinion. 'Sides I had important things that I was avoiding.

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cariad
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cariad   E-mail Cariad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is.

Then you missed the issue. Thanks for playing. Please try again.
So when determining the "real" issue, I should check in with... Ryda? Dara? (No need to answer, don't waste your time - or do, you're entitled to your opinion) Seriously - no sarcasm intended.

I agree with Dragon's Jewel - at least for now. When you're new here and read a thread this long from start to finish, the issue is clear - that we all have a right to our opinions...

When you've been used to "debating" topics here for so long... well, it seems (that means it's my opinion) you think the issue is... the topic. I think it may have started out that way. However, this amount of discussion, sensitivity, trying to prove others wrong, blah blah blah is ridiculous (to me). So now, it's about our rights to our opinions - TO ME - cuz I said so. [Smile]

--------------------
Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Suess

Posts: 14 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SatansHobbit:
It's right next to your pack of condoms, you bullsh*tting bastard

Love, Connie

This guy had the right idea. Don't you think it would have been a lot more fun to post humorous responses than to get into a gigantic argument over nothing?

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's most fun to decide what other people find more fun.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
I'm saying that I do not equate the behaviour in the op with real life, and as such do not think that this displays insesitivity to gender issues.

And here's the crux. The fact that you do not equate this behavior with real life displays, in and of itself, insensitivity to gender issuses.
Um, no it doesn't. You may label me as insensitive to gender issues because I found a joke funny, but this is just your opinion, (which you are entitled to) and I disagree.

However, I'm clearly not going to change your mind, so go ahead and file me in the Mysoginistc Arsehole cabinet if that makes you happy. I dare say I'll get over it.

Well maybe I should join you in there. Seems like the world out here is far too uptight. I'm female and I have something called a sense of humour. I found it amusing. If it was used in real life then it would be insulting or belittling.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke.
No I didn't. I said it in reply to FoA's reference to his subsequent acclaim of an entirely different joke, guru's reply letter to Dan from Connie. So therefore I hadn't singled him out from the irony crew as the only one who was "covering his arse," since it wasn't his irony argument that I considered to be "covering his arse," it was his acclaim of guru's reply. In retrospect, however, that may have been unfair.

Perhaps the reason I may have seemed to be targeting FoA was because we had already started a back-and-forth debate before that, as often happens in these sort of threads. One might as well accuse him of targeting me, since many of his posts were primarily addressed at me.

Glad I could straighten that out for you.

You know, I completely missed that Dara. I thought we were still discussing the original OP. My "acclaim" of Guru's joke was meant partly in humour (becuase it made me grin when I thought of it), and partly as a "salute" to those on the board that feel that to enjoy the OP implys that you must be a sexist pig. I was curious to see if anybody was prepared to step up and admit that that might not be the case.

Sadly, nobody did.

Still, thoroughly enjoyed the dabate with you, as always [Smile]

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages