snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Leg/pubic shaving origins (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Leg/pubic shaving origins
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've always heard that the trend towards shaving legs and pubic
hair in the US came about from GIs dealing with prostitutes who shave to
eliminate pubic lice and crabs. Any truth?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With admittedly no evidence to back it up, I have always heard that leg shaving was popularized through advertising by the razor industry back in the 1910s and '20s. Somebody in the industry realized that they were only cashing in on half of the possible market, and suddenly it was unthinkable for women to have hairy legs. Of course, that was also around the time short skirts became popular for what I believe was the first time ever, so maybe it wasn't just corporate pressure.

Either way, as a man who likes the natural look, it's kinda sad. Grrrr.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Behold!

Hair Removal Through the Ages. A weirdly fascinating journey through the history of waxing, shaving and plucking! Gasp as the Sumerians tweeze! Cry with the poor unkempt savages as she-goat gall and resin dissolve unsavory whiskers! Oh, that crazy Duke of Newcastle.

Aura

P.S. I make no claims as to the accuracy of anything at all, but it was a fun ride.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
Behold!

Hair Removal Through the Ages. A weirdly fascinating journey through the history of waxing, shaving and plucking! Gasp as the Sumerians tweeze! Cry with the poor unkempt savages as she-goat gall and resin dissolve unsavory whiskers! Oh, that crazy Duke of Newcastle.

Fair enough -- thank God high foreheads aren't all that fashionable anymore. [Smile]
Most of those seem to be concerned with removing hair from either the lips, parts of the face that were to be emphasized as a part of facial makeup, and the like.

I still wonder, like the OP, what exactly made shaving legs/armpits/pubic hair fashionable. I do it out of habit, but on the whole it's such a silly thing to do when you think about it... hm. Maybe just as silly as the high forehead thing. [Big Grin]
My uneducated guess is that it came about with short skirts coming into fashion. I'm not sure if it was (just) the razor industry making it popular, or they might as well have convinced men to shave their legs, too. Imagine the number of extra razorblades they'd have sold!

And the completely unrelated hijack: The "translations" in that otherwise entertaining article drove me nuts. How can they first (incorrectly) translate depilare (de- does not mean "completely"... and depilare means "to remove hair", not "to completely deprive of hair"), then go on to translate depiladores with "literally: wax women"? ARGH!
...sorry, it's a linguist thing. [Wink]

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a question about the link, too...

quote:

During the Middle Ages, upper class European women wanted to be pale. A 13th century French verse lists some of the requirements of a lady's toilette supplied by a traveling merchant; among the things are "razors and forceps."

Okay, I get the razors, but...forceps?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I assumed they meant tweezers, but maybe those upper class French ladies were kinkier than I originally had suspected.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be an archaic term for tweezers.

"Hey, baby, want I should leave the vice grips with you when I travel to London next week? You know how I dislike hearing you scream..."

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would guess that the practice of shaving legs became common with the rise of hemlines at the end of the first World War and the introduction of silk, transluscent stockings.

The practice of shaving the "bikini line", of course, started with the introduction of more form-fitting bathing suits, and was done not as a form of sexual inticement, but to prevent any accidental exposure of the woman's pubic hairs when wearing a swimsuit.

I don't believe "The Brazilian", or full shaving a the pubic area became truely popular until the 80s. Maybe I'm wrong, but I cannot recall anyone of my generation discussing this practice. If it was referred to, it would have been considered highly immoral.

I was reading the Wikipedia entry regarding leg shaving and was puzzled over the suggestion that shaving the female body was a purely modern, Western practice. I was under the impression that it was pretty common around the world, particularly in Asia and the Middle East.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wikipedia article on underarm hair is equally perplexing, as it states that that the practice of underarm hair removal became popular in the mid 80s but is diminishing nowadays, especially due to awareness that underarm hair is linked to sexually stimulating pheremones. Somehow, this doesn't seem to be happening, at least not where I am. (The article does mention this being the case in China and Eastern Europe, but also seems to be implying that it's a somewhat universal trend.)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
The wikipedia article on underarm hair is equally perplexing, as it states that that the practice of underarm hair removal became popular in the mid 80s but is diminishing nowadays, especially due to awareness that underarm hair is linked to sexually stimulating pheremones. Somehow, this doesn't seem to be happening, at least not where I am. (The article does mention this being the case in China and Eastern Europe, but also seems to be implying that it's a somewhat universal trend.)

The paragraph is written unclearly, but these two sentences:

quote:
Female underarm hair removal became popular in mid-1980s although today, the practice is diminishing, particularly if women are not required to wear formal sleeveless dress like strapless gowns etc. Increasing awareness of the association of armpit hair with sexually-stimulating pheromones has also resulted in a shift away from shaving.
must refer to Europe, because underarm hair removal in the US became commonplace and expected long before the mid-1980's.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always heard (source: my ass) that women began shaving their legs when nylon was needed for parachutes in WWII. They went without and began shaving. The practice stuck. Or so I've heard.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
I was under the impression that it was pretty common around the world, particularly in Asia and the Middle East.

I don't have more than anecdotal evidence, but none of the several Chinese women (ages 25-35) I have worked with shaved their legs or armpits. My dear Korean friend H and I discussed hair removal a bit and she did not shave armpits, legs or trim pubic hair; it came up because she wanted to try shaving her legs and was asking my advice since she had no idea how to go about it.

FWIW,
B

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Cecil discusses it Who decided women should shave their legs and underarms?

For American women, at any rate, the big push came from an ad published in Harper's Bazaar in 1915. The ad showed a woman in a sleeveless dress, with shaven airmpits. "Summer Dress and Modern Dancing combine to make necessary the removal of objectionable hair."

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Female underarm hair removal became popular in mid-1980s although today, the practice is diminishing, particularly if women are not required to wear formal sleeveless dress like strapless gowns etc. Increasing awareness of the association of armpit hair with sexually-stimulating pheromones has also resulted in a shift away from shaving.
must refer to Europe, because underarm hair removal in the US became commonplace and expected long before the mid-1980's.
I think you're right about it becoming more popular in the 80's in Europe, but as for their claim that the practice is diminishing, in central (and to some extent, eastern) European countries, the trend is exactly the opposite. 10 years ago the sight of hair smashed under nylons, fuzzy armpits exposed on the tram, and escaping pubic hair on the beach was the norm. But I now rarely see the younger generation going natural in any of the countries eager to catch up with Western culture. I can buy any brand of women's razors here, and the home waxing systems are actually better than anything I've found in the States.

In other news, bras, frequent hair washing, and regular deodorant use have also become noticably more popular.

ETA-Can anyone comment on shaving practices in western Europe?

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Rubber Chicken
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rubber Chicken   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My dear Korean friend H and I discussed hair removal a bit and she did not shave armpits, legs or trim pubic hair; it came up because she wanted to try shaving her legs and was asking my advice since she had no idea how to go about it.

I don't know about China, but I can't recall having ever seen a girl in Korea that didn't shave the legs and armpits. That may have only caught on since short skirts/shirts have caught on here, but at least with the younger generation, shaving body hair is very much in fashion.

--------------------
Visit my blog, Websurdity... the Weird, the Bizarre, the Silly, the Absurd.

Posts: 716 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far back as I can remember shaving legs has been common practice in the UK so that's five decades covered.

This may not be the case in continental Europe though. A french woman stayed with us for a while when I was about six and I remember being with her and my mother as they got ready to go out. She slipped into a sleeveless dress and then proceeded to comb her thick dark armpit hair. The look of [Eek!] on my mothers face is one of my abiding memories.
She was still banging on about it when she was eighty. Probably because my father said he thought it looked sexy. That, coupled with the fact she had pubes trimmed into a heart shape, made her a harlot in my mothers eyes for all time.

She regarded women who didn't shave as hippies, blue stockings or continental tarts. She also firmly believed that middle aged women who didn't shave had given up the ghost on being attractive and should be ashamed of themselves.

I remember a time in the mid to late seventies when a lot of my friends were actively involved with the feminist movement and stopped shaving because they said it was a form of oppression.
My refusal to abandon the practise was deemed an affront to the sisterhood. I think most of them were depilating again by the eighties but only to please themselves of course.

ETA Spelling error

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
I've always heard (source: my ass) that women began shaving their legs when nylon was needed for parachutes in WWII. They went without and began shaving. The practice stuck. Or so I've heard.

My mother was in her 20s during the 1940s. She told me that she started shaving her legs then because due to the lack of nylons during the war, she wore leg makeup (including a line drawn up the back of her leg to imitate the seams in stockings) and the makeup wouldn't stick to leg hair.

ETA: Links about leg makeup and how it related to shaving. Forties.net (note: Jazz music plays) , History of Beauty and Hygeine products by Ad*Sense , Safety Razor and Shaving Collectables FAQ , How to shave your legs, armpits, and bikini area correctly.

My mother was actually opposed to me starting to shave my legs when I was a teenager in the 1970s. She said that "Once you start, you never can stop."

Morning
I used the red-haired girl icon because my mother was a red-haired girl!

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Morning, how true is that? I've never really shaved (only a couple times) myself--I've been firmly in the waxing only camp since I was 13, but I've heard people say, "Once you start, you can't stop" in regard to shaving.

--------------------

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
As far back as I can remember shaving legs has been common practice in the UK so that's five decades covered.

This may not be the case in continental Europe though. A french woman stayed with us for a while when I was about six and I remember being with her and my mother as they got ready to go out. She slipped into a sleeveless dress and then proceeded to comb her thick dark armpit hair. The look of [Eek!] on my mothers face is one of my abiding memories.
She was still banging on about it when she was eighty. Probably because my father said he thought it looked sexy. That, coupled with the fact she had pubes trimmed into a heart shape, made her a harlot in my mothers eyes for all time.

That was pretty much the attitude when I was growing up back in the 50s and 60s. Shaving the legs and underarms was not a way of making a woman more sexual, but more an attempt to desexualize those areas. Clean shaving was considered to look cleaner, more hygenic, and made those areas of the body less noticable. At least the was the explanation given for the practice.

Now as for pubic shaving; You were not suppose to even look at those areas, let alone touch them, so of course shaving there would have been out of the question. Except, of course, for the bikini line. (See above explanation.)

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in the 60s & 70s and shaving our legs was definitely a rite of passage. You weren't truly a woman until you'd shaved with your dad's razer and had little blobs of blood soaked toilet paper dabbed all over your legs.

The first time I ever shaved under my arms it was with my dad's electric razer (learned my lesson so I thought from the razer with a blade experience) -- yowie -- razer burn [Eek!]

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Morning, how true is that? I've never really shaved (only a couple times) myself--I've been firmly in the waxing only camp since I was 13, but I've heard people say, "Once you start, you can't stop" in regard to shaving.

I think it is true if you really care about hairy legs. It seems to me that once you shave your legs, regrowth is more noticeable. The old wive's tale is, of course, that hair that is shaved grows back in darker and thicker. If you don't care about hair on your legs, then yes you can stop. [Wink]

I actually think my mother was making the comment to refer to not giving up one's childhood too eagerly.

Morning

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Western Europe:

De-fuzzing underarms in Ireland is pretty much de rigeur. Can't remember ever seeing bushy oxters on an Irishwoman, but maybe I don't get around enough.

Anecdotal evidence:
Several years ago, I went on a 3 week exchange programme in France. I remember going to the pool with a bunch of French teens, and the near-hysterics they were in when they saw a middle aged lady who had natural pits. Au naturel was certainly not the norm in Poitiers, France in the '90s.

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 219 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of the earliest legends of women shaving their legs is the infamous meeting between the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon. There are a lot of variations of this story:

"Another tradition related that when the queen met Solomon, he was sitting in a glass house. Thinking he was in water, the queen raised her dress, exposing her hairy legs. Solomon's displeasure became an aetiological story for the origin of depilatories."

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my experience in Germany, shaving the legs and armpits is common with woman (I wouldn't know about the 'bikini zone', of course [Wink] ). It wasn't as common in the 80's, though (you may remember the German singer Nena of "99 Red Balloons" fame).

Shaving body hair for men has become a trend in Germany in the wake of 'metrosexuality'since the mid-90's.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!! TMI space!!!

I prefer men that have controlled body hair too. If I want to cuddle with something furry, I have a perfectly good dog. DH shaves his armpits and I have enjoyed snuggling with him 100% more ever since. He also goes thru much less deoderant and it works better since it actually gets on the skin.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The disturbing (to me, at least) trend I've noticed lately is girls in their teens and early 20's now shave their arms. Not armPITS ... their arms, from wrist to above the elbow.

Now come on, like I haven't got enough body parts already that society has deemed shall be hairless. Like shaving doesn't already take up way too much time IMHO. My arms are fuzzy, GDI, and they're going to stay that way.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
That was pretty much the attitude when I was growing up back in the 50s and 60s. Shaving the legs and underarms was not a way of making a woman more sexual, but more an attempt to desexualize those areas. Clean shaving was considered to look cleaner, more hygenic, and made those areas of the body less noticable. At least the was the explanation given for the practice.

I saw a documentary on film making several years ago (on AMC or A&E). It mentioned that, in the '50's and '60's, male actors were required to shave their chests for shirtless scenes because hairy chests were considered too sexy. The show used before & after photos of William Holden as an illustration. (I think he was filming Sabrina.)

Personally, I thought the hairless one seemed more 'nude'.

This did explain why certain actors who were (seemingly) hairless during that period seemed to suddenly sprout hairy chests in the '80's. This had puzzled me. (I just thought that Shatner had bought a chest-toupee, as well. [fish] )

On another note, I have been told that swimmers, divers and some runners shave to reduce water/air resistance. I don't have a cite for this--it just came up during conversations.

Wicked 'Paging Tom Selleck' T.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been shaving my arms for a long time. It wasn't just fuzz, though, fuzz I would have lived with. It was lots of hair. My arms look much better smooth.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
The disturbing (to me, at least) trend I've noticed lately is girls in their teens and early 20's now shave their arms. Not armPITS ... their arms, from wrist to above the elbow.

I've never seen or heard of this before.

My attitude toward my personal body hair is: If it's making me uncomfortable, I'll shave it. If it doesn't bother me, it stays. If you think it's gross, that's your problem, not mine.

I'm blonde and my hair grows very slowly, so it's not really noticable if I don't shave my legs or armpits. Usually I don't shave my armpits because I can never angle the razor enough to reach half the hair, and I don't really care that much anyway. It's only when the hair starts getting think and rubs against my armpits (when I have my arms at my sides) that it becomes uncomfortable, so I shave it.

My mother tried to get me to believe that I would be shunned by society if I didn't shave my legs. She actually told me once, "You look like a caveman! Ladies in today's society do not walk around with unshaven legs!" Well, that was all the provocation I needed for my first open rebellion: I stopped shaving my legs when I was a sophomore in high school and didn't start again until halfway through my junior year. I was teased and called "Bigfoot" for being hairy, but for once I didn't care. The world didn't end, either.

I trim my bikini region once a month, before the start of my period, because it makes "clean-up" easier. Personally, I find shaved pubic hair (the bald look) extremely unappealing. I tried it once and looked (and felt) like a 10-year-old. Definitely not sexy. So, never again.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:

This is extremely common amongst Asian women, here in the UK at least.

& yes it is a chore so the girls I know went for laser hair removal on their arms etc.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On another note, I have been told that swimmers, divers and some runners shave to reduce water/air resistance. I don't have a cite for this--it just came up during conversations.

Yeah I heard that. But I heard from someone else, the shaving is actually to make massages (part of the training)easier.

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morning:
quote:

I think it is true if you really care about hairy legs. It seems to me that once you shave your legs, regrowth is more noticeable. The old wive's tale is, of course, that hair that is shaved grows back in darker and thicker. If you don't care about hair on your legs, then yes you can stop. [Wink]

I actually think my mother was making the comment to refer to not giving up one's childhood too eagerly.

Morning

I don't believe hair comes back darker or thicker, but it sure itches like heck for quite some time - enough reason for me to keep on shaving.

When I was in Austria in 1989, most of the women I saw had shaved legs, but my aunt (native Austrian) said that she only started shaving when she lived in the US (where she met and married my uncle) and that it was just starting to catch on over there. Most of the women I saw who did have a lot of leg hair were immigrants from Eastern Europe.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Angua:
quote:

Yeah I heard that. But I heard from someone else, the shaving is actually to make massages (part of the training)easier.
I imagine different individual swimmers do it for different reasons, but the guys on my swim team in high school would shave before important meets to reduce water resistance. You wouldn't shave when practicing because the more resistance you have to swim against in practice the stronger/ faster you swim. We did not have massages as part of our training.

As far as pubic shaving, I think that the porn industry contributed. Actresses started gradually reducing the amount of pubic hair they would keep in the 80s, progressing to the current completely bare standard. Since porn is very prevalent and accessible now, and since it serves as one of the very few influences on how people think genitals should look, people started to think genitals might look better shaven.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The hair on my right leg is slightly thicker than that on my left leg, and is definitely longer than on my left leg. The only reason I can think of for that is that it was shaved numerous times for various surgeries after my accident.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin Roll:
The hair on my right leg is slightly thicker than that on my left leg, and is definitely longer than on my left leg. The only reason I can think of for that is that it was shaved numerous times for various surgeries after my accident.

That's perfectly common, humans just aren't exactly symmetrical. Blood supplies and all that. One leg is usually stronger than another, one leg is often hairier. My legs have been always treated exactly equally but the right leg hair does seem to grow back a little more.
Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages