snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Circumcision in the military?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Circumcision in the military?
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to trigger a circ debate, only to check on an historical issue. My housemate is arguing that in the United States, a man must be circumcised to join "the military", and that if this isn't the case now it was for much of the 20th century. Can someone, or (very likely) some several, confirm or deny?

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um... possible TMI-

So here's a little space for said TMI-

My husband (LJ) is; his father (BJ) is not. And my FIL was 25+ years in the Army.

The reason I know this was a startling revelation from my MIL after my son was born. Our insurance (CHAMPUS, in fact) said circumcision was "cosmetic" and wouldn't pay for it in the civilian hospital. After discussing the pros and cons with the pediatrician, we decided not to do it. Two weeks later, my MIL was changing my son's diaper and said, "Oh, LJ is circumsised, they say you're supposed to "be the same" as the father, but BJ isn't circumsised, and it didn't cause LJ any trouble!" (I almost fell over from shock. That was a little tidbit I didn't need or want to know about my FIL).

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wren, here is your chance to ask your roomie if she "read that on the Internet," or "pulled it out of her ass," as you previously wrote on another topic.

So far, I am not able to produce military rules, but here is a site which explains some of the history that may have lead to that misconception:
http://www.historyofcircumcision.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=8&id=73&Itemid=52

During WWI, men were encouraged to get circumcised in the belief by the military that it would lead to lower VD rates. By WWII, many men entering the military were already circumcised. My stepfather, who served on a remote Pacific Island, said the medics were always trying to get him to let them perform this procedure, for both practice operating and for reasons of perceived hygiene, due to the poor sanitary conditions.

I will leave it to a better researcher to find any military info to refute your roomie's claim, but there is no way that a man has to be circumcised to enlist in the US military. That rumor must have started due to the former military policy of encouraging circumcision.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather entered the Army, and subsequently fought in WWII with, and came home from Germany without.

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I shouldn't, but morbid curiousity compels me: how would you know such a thing, unklesam?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a boyfriend in high school that told me he'd been sterilized by the Navy as a condition of entering (and of course, couldn't possibly be pregnant [fish] ) I imagine they circumcised him at the same time [Big Grin]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
educatedindian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for educatedindian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I enlisted, and so did my father, grandfather, and several uncles, cousins, and nephews. Someone has been in service in every war since at least WWI. And our family has always believed that it's wrong to circumcise. I've never heard any stories of anyone being pressured by military doctors to get one.
Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in the Army and I am not circumsised. [fish]

Actually, ancedotes and data and everything, but I saw quite a few pee-pees during my stint in the Army; two were not circumsised.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
I know I shouldn't, but morbid curiousity compels me: how would you know such a thing, unklesam?

Sorry stepped out for awhile...and it is indeed an interesting story. The reason my grandfather was not circumsised at birth was because his family didn't have enough money, however after earning his pay in the military, he saved his money to "buy his own." And that being a point of pride for him, he decided to share that with me one day when i was complaining that my father would only spring for Stride-Rites and not Nikes. Of course given the nature of the complaint, you might guess my age, and I had no idea what he was talking about...so I had to ask my father...boy was that an interesting conversation.

--------------------

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of a circumsicion being a point of pride. I would imagine that a great many men of his generation were uncirced, though...

But, never mind...I'm finding myself entirely more interested in this than I want to be!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Well AnglRdr, I must confess this was the only one I have ever heard.

unkle "Pride is an amazing thing, and I have a circumsicion to prove it" sam

--------------------

Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:
During WWI, men were encouraged to get circumcised in the belief by the military that it would lead to lower VD rates. By WWII, many men entering the military were already circumcised. My stepfather, who served on a remote Pacific Island, said the medics were always trying to get him to let them perform this procedure, for both practice operating and for reasons of perceived hygiene, due to the poor sanitary conditions.

Makes you wonder how the medics handled that. "Hey, would you let me circumcise you? I could really use the practice." [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, Lainie; they must have been quite bored! Fortunately for them, they must not have seen many combat injuries on that island if they felt they needed any practice operating!

Since he never even got a tattoo, as many drunken sailor buddies did, he sure wasn't about to let medics do any unneeded surgery!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mom2five
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 08 posted      Profile for mom2five     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband is in the Air Force and he has never said anything about circumcision being required. And I don't know why Champus didn't pay for your son's circumcision, they paid for all 4 of my sons'.
Posts: 1 | From: Alexandria, VA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it's been a while since I've spent time in a communal shower... but I've seen lots of un-cut winkies in the service.

And champus DOES pay for circumcisions... as long as they are done as part of the "birthing process". If you wait a couple months... no dice, as it is no longer "necessary" and is considered cosmetic. You'd have to jump through lots of hoops to get doctors to say that it was "medically necessary" to get it covered.

My beloved bride and I discussed this with CHAMPUS folks when we actually thought we were having a boy. Our mistake... no outies... only innies.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages