snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » 12 things "possibly worth knowing"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 12 things "possibly worth knowing"
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In keeping with some recent posts of similiar stuff, I present this from http://dieemmers.blogspot.com/ :

12 Things Possibly Worth Knowing:

1 In Lebanon , men are legally allowed to have sex with animals, but the animals must be female. Having sexual relations with a male animal is punishable by death.

2 In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman's genitals, but is prohibited from
looking directly at them during the examination. He may only see their reflection in a mirror.

3 Muslims are banned from looking at the genitals of a corpse. This also applies to undertakers. The sex organs of the deceased must be covered with a brick or piece of wood at all times.

4 The penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is decapitation.

5 There are men in Guam whose full-time job is to travel the countryside and deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for the first time.
Reason: Under Guam law, it is expressly forbidden for virgins to marry.
(this one sounds familiar...)

6 In Hong Kong, a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands. The husband's illicit lover, on the other hand, may be killed in any manner desired.

7 Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool , England - but only in tropical fish stores.

8 In Cali, Colombia , a woman may only have sex with her husband, and the first time this happens, her mother must be in the room to witness the act.

9 In Santa Cruz, Bolivia , it is illegal for a man to have sex with a woman and her daughter at the same time.

10 In Maryland, it is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception:
Prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises."

11 Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

12 Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
-------------------------------------------------

I figure that at least 12 is false, so I'm on my way to Liverpool to see whether goldfish do it for fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie23:

7 Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool , England - but only in tropical fish stores.

i never understood that 'in xxx, england' thing. towns/cities don't have seperate laws.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's believable to gullible americans though because sometimes the differences between one city and the next would make your head spin.

The only thing on my criminal record is a violation of a city ordanince. If I'd done exactally thing just outside the city limits-I'd have no record at all.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Rather appropriately, #5 is false (see the discussion and rebuttal here).

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
while we're on it, does anyone know anything about the 'it is legal to shoot a scotsman with a longbow within York city walls' thing? that's always bothered me.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I strongly suspect that many of these may be true, but in a convoluted way.

For instance, number 1 may be that there is no law saying exactly what #1 states, but rather it's an interpretation of several laws/lack of laws. For instance, homosexuality may be illegal (even though I don't think that's a law that's in use anymore), but no one has bothered to create a law agains sex with animals as it has been considered too wierd for anyone to try.

I suspect that most of them will have similar explanations. Long winded interpretations that would probably not hold up in court, outdated laws, misleading descriptions.

Btw, slightly off topic, but a good example of missing laws, is an incident I read about when I was in Greece a couple of years ago. Apperantly, an undertaker had been eating parts of his clients. The police found out and he was arrested. In the end, they found out that there was no law against it, as such a law had never before been needed, so they had to let him go.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
quote:

i never understood that 'in xxx, england' thing. towns/cities don't have seperate laws.
You can have local by-laws, but I don't know how much power they have to override national laws. Probably none, if challenged.

Since there are designated nudist beaches in some areas where public nudity is allowed under local by-laws, I assume that Liverpool City Council would have the power to designate nudity acceptable in certain areas (strip clubs come to mind), and clamp down strictly in others, so technically there could be a law like this that only applied in Liverpool.

I have no idea why it's on the list, though. It's come up before and it seems a bizarre claim.

I hadn't noticed that one about masturbation and Indonesia before. I've been to Indonesia... and I can report that if true, at least it's not enforced!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
11. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

i couldn't care less about the calories, but i would care about the mega headache.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
9 In Santa Cruz, Bolivia , it is illegal for a man to have sex with a woman and her daughter at the same time.
Well I'm sure that one doesn't come up often. Not a lot of men have the equipment to successfully have sex with two women simultaneously. [Wink]

[fish]

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
4 The penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is decapitation.

Which one?

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well all I know is I wanna move to Hong Kong, so just in case....... [lol]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
It's believable to gullible americans though because sometimes the differences between one city and the next would make your head spin...

Since this is exactly the way things work in the United States and man of our laws find their basis in English laws, what exactly would make an american who believes this gullible?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
It's believable to gullible americans though because sometimes the differences between one city and the next would make your head spin...

Since this is exactly the way things work in the United States and man of our laws find their basis in English laws, what exactly would make an american who believes this gullible?

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I wasn't referring to this thing in particular necessrily but anyone who buys that whole list without thought probably tends to be a bit gullible.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I wasn't referring to this thing in particular necessrily but anyone who buys that whole list without thought probably tends to be a bit gullible.

I would agree, regardless of nationality.

--------------------

Ean

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ean   E-mail Ean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
while we're on it, does anyone know anything about the 'it is legal to shoot a scotsman with a longbow within York city walls' thing? that's always bothered me.

I heard a similar thing about the Welsh within the walls of Chester - but only during the hours of darkness, I think. Also it's apparently legal to shoot a Welshman in Hereford's Cathedral Close at any time except for Sunday.

I found this :-

http://www.chestercc.gov.uk/main.asp?page=746

"A bloody uprising by Welsh forces had centered on Chester. After putting down the rebellion, Henry IV took severe precautions to ensure that there would be no repetition. On 4th September 1403, he wrote to the Mayor, Sheriffs and Aldermen of the City of Chester, commanding that "all manner of Welsh persons or Welsh sympathies should be expelled from the City; that no Welshman should enter the City before sunrise or tarry in it after sunset, under pain of decapitation".
The King specified that these new laws should be "proclaimed publicly in your bailiwick for the informing of the people". They have never been repealed!"

and :-

http://www.chestercc.gov.uk/main.asp?page=1398

"The Curfew On The Welsh

The story about the Welsh being excluded from Chester after dark originated during the Glyndwr rebellion of 1403. Henry, Prince of Wales (future Henry V) was also Earl of Chester and on 4 Sept 1403 he ordered that all Welsh people and Welsh sympathisers should be expelled from the City; none should enter the city before sunrise or stay after sunset on pain of decapitation (not hanging, but it would have the same effect!). There are records of people standing surety for the good behaviour of Welshmen arrested under the order. The text books don't refer to anyone ever paying the maximum penalty for this 'crime'. Concern over 'the Welsh threat' continued into the 15th century and Chester was seen very much as a border town. There is no record that Henry V's order was ever repealed."

I guess it's possible that such statutes were on the books and have never been repealed, but you'd have to find some way around those pesky, new-fangled laws to do with murder and brandishing offensive weapons. [Wink]

--------------------
"Any more of this nonsense and we'll have a short, sharp visit from the Smack Fairy!"

"Music will get you through times of no love better than love will get you through times of no music"
- GiNGER - Something To Believe In

Posts: 178 | From: Shropshire, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hijack warning.

quote:
It's believable to gullible americans

But I thought that you all lived in castles and just longed for a bungalow.
(thank you Eddie Izzard)

I really really tried not to post it but the will is weak.

Please, back to your regular postings.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Btw, slightly off topic, but a good example of missing laws, is an incident I read about when I was in Greece a couple of years ago. Apperantly, an undertaker had been eating parts of his clients. The police found out and he was arrested. In the end, they found out that there was no law against it, as such a law had never before been needed, so they had to let him go.
If nothing else I would think this would fall under some kind of distruction of private property or some law preventing dessicration of the dead.. If those laws even exist.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Given the content of the rest of the list, that's one...dangerous fetish the writer seems to have...

As for the Scotsman/York thing: I can confirm people in York believe it to be true, whether it is or not I'm unsure.

- Jonathan

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:
quote:

Given the content of the rest of the list, that's one...dangerous fetish the writer seems to have...

Or he figured out that by that point that's what most readers of the list feel like doing.

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have to say that I'm a little bit unsure about the details, as I don't really understand Greek and read the article based on my understanding in other languages, but as far as I understood, they let him go and planned a future change in the laws. I think that the relatives planned to file their own suit against him, but I'm not completely sure about that, they may just have been pissed off.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
1 In Lebanon , men are legally allowed to have sex with animals, but the animals must be female. Having sexual relations with a male animal is punishable by death.
Because apparently the man has caught "teh gay".

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snoozn
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snoozn   E-mail snoozn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
12 Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

Bonobos in particular are well-known for enjoying sex:
quote:
Sexual intercourse plays a major role in Bonobo society, being used as a greeting, a means of conflict resolution and post-conflict reconciliation, and as favors traded by the females in exchange for food. Bonobos are the only non-human apes to have been observed engaging in all of the following sexual activities: face-to-face genital sex (most frequently female-female, then male-female and male-male), tongue kissing, and oral sex. This happens within the immediate family as well as outside of it. Bonobos do not form permanent relationships with individual partners. When Bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitment will usually lead to communal sexual activity, assumedly decreasing tension and allowing for peaceful feeding.
I'd say they make most humans seem pretty sexually tame.

snoozn

Posts: 423 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlyYoungstar
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlyYoungstar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually, that UL should be rewritten to "Humans and dolphins are the only animals smart enough to pull out"

Nearly all animals have sex for pleasure. To think that a wild animal has the capacity for thought to realize what it's doing other than, "that feels awesome," is silly. Dolphins and humans are attributed this fact because they have sex and sometimes voluntarily remove the possibility of procreation.

--------------------
How many times can they tell you, Til you just give them their way?
How many times can they sell you, Til you let them have their say?
Every time you will ignore your Heart, it will come back twice more.
Reconsider Everything -311

Posts: 26 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bigblu89
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigblu89         Edit/Delete post 

Posts: 76 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bigblu89
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigblu89         Edit/Delete post 
I find it weird that 11 of them are of sexual nature, and then all of a sudden the one about banging your head against a wall.

Unless they're talking about the "other" head.

Posts: 76 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dareyawes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dareyawes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If I may add one:

Under Islamic law, it IS legal to have sex with an animal (preferable, in fact, to premarital sex). However, it is illegal to eat that animal afterwards.

I've heard this one several times, but never from anyone who knows diddly about "Islamic Law". My guess is that if you were to ask your friendly neighborhood Muslim if this were true, answers would vary from "No, you moron." to "Who knows what [insert different sect of Muslim population] do?"

Posts: 152 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dareyawes:
If I may add one:

Under Islamic law, it IS legal to have sex with an animal (preferable, in fact, to premarital sex). However, it is illegal to eat that animal afterwards.

I've heard this one several times, but never from anyone who knows diddly about "Islamic Law". My guess is that if you were to ask your friendly neighborhood Muslim if this were true, answers would vary from "No, you moron." to "Who knows what [insert different sect of Muslim population] do?"

In a book of sayings of the Ayatollah Khomenei there is, IIRC, a ruling that an animal that has been sodomised is unclean. There was nothing about bestiality being preferable to fornication though.

I'll give more info when I find my copy.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhiloPharynx
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhiloPharynx   E-mail PhiloPharynx   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
quote:
Well I'm sure that one doesn't come up often. Not a lot of men have the equipment to successfully have sex with two women simultaneously. [Wink]

[fish]

Only if you use a very limited definition of sex. [Big Grin]
Posts: 64 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Having lived in York for four years (lucky me!) I can confirm that it is said to be true. However, you are not allowed to shoot a Scotsman in York on a Sunday.

There is a similar by-law in Chester, but this time it refers to Welsh people and you can only shoot them after the hours of dark.

Thus it may be true about naked ladies and tropical fish shops in Liverpool. I did live in Liverpool but never heard about this one. I was young and did not go to tropical fish shops.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This page has more info in masturbation in Indonesia. If it were punishable by decapitation, this article certainly would have reported it:
http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/IES/indonesia-part1.html

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Book-a-chow
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages