snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Female Bum Behind Valentine Symbol? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Female Bum Behind Valentine Symbol?
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just thought I'd point out that the above post does not strike me as a standard Jason Threadslayer contribution to the discussion. What gives, JT?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Joe Joey Junior Shabadoo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samantha Vimes:
I've read the valentine heart matches the shape of the prostate gland.

No snarkiness intented, but would people know what the prostate looks like?

No doubt people saw a disembowled man before modern medience and surguy came around, but would they know what a prostrate was, and what it did?

But I could be entirely wrong; is the prostrate visbile at all? I'm guessing not, but i've never really attempted to find out.

--------------------
I'm so broke; I can't even pay attention

Posts: 140 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I just thought I'd point out that the above post does not strike me as a standard Jason Threadslayer contribution to the discussion. What gives, JT?

Hmm... how are these for reasons?

• I've noticed it before, particularly on a couple of my ex's and found it interesting that others have had the same idea.
    [*}I didn't feel like Googling to find an article on the connections between the female posterior looks like an upside down heart. Although, Edred Thorsson, in his book Futhark, does mention the idea. (That should get Noemi's attention.)
  • I don't think it a wise idea to Google for pictures to demonstrate the same. Not sure what search terms to use and I don't think some of the sites I'd get would be work safe.
  • Nor do I have pictures I've taken to show -- I don't walk around taking pictures of people's bums.
  • I've had very little sleep because Singapore called me at their end of business yesterday and Atlanta called me at their start of business today.
  • The post was made sans alcohol (beer goes good with work, port goes good with a novel).
  • I forgot to use my Threadslaying voice. [Smile]
  • That was a more of a "me, too" post which I generally don't do.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alterashley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alterashley   E-mail Alterashley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the female bottom really so much different than the male bottom? I mean, your average female bottom is probably smoother, curvier, less hairy and generally more superb than the male bottom - but does the shape vary all that much? I would still like a heart-shaped candy if it was modeled after a man's bottom.

--------------------
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Posts: 40 | From: Magical Delaware | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I going to have to find pictures?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alterashley:
Is the female bottom really so much different than the male bottom? I mean, your average female bottom is probably smoother, curvier, less hairy and generally more superb than the male bottom - but does the shape vary all that much? I would still like a heart-shaped candy if it was modeled after a man's bottom.

Since the female bottom is generally attached to a pair of female hips and the current shape of a female usually has the waist smaller than the hips where the male bottom is generally attached to a pair of male hips and the current shape of a male usually has the waist larger or the same size as the hips, the overall shape of the female bottom would tend to show the narrowing more than the male bottom.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this topic header and was imagining an uplifting, Paul Harvey-ish glurge:

"But Norma Wocjicvz, down and out, a street person, found a way out. Yes, one February 14, she found a discarded piece of red paper. Patiently, with stiff fingers aching from the bitter cold, she tore out a little shape that looked like a heart. And she sold it to a passer-by, who wanted to give it to his sweetheart. Norma used the dime she got to buy two more sheets of paper, and by the end of that Valentine's day, she had earned enough to buy herself a cheap room for the night...the first time in a year she had slept indoors.

Brave, brave Norma Wocjicvz, the female bum, had created the first Valentine heart. She was ready the next year and began selling her little red hearts two weeks before Valentine's Day. Within two years, she had a flourishing business. And then she met a man named Harold Hallmark...and now you know...the rest of the story."

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph Summers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steph Summers   E-mail Steph Summers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
that's a real bummer!
Posts: 141 | From: Newport, RI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd hit you with a fish for that pun, Steph, but since you're relatively new here, and a fellow Aquidneck Islander, I'll let it pass...for now... [Wink]

Trish "When are they ever gonna finish East Main Road?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph Summers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steph Summers   E-mail Steph Summers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trish,

I guess I've hit rock BOTTOM.

Posts: 141 | From: Newport, RI | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, unrepentant as well is it? Well then someone just has to

[fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish]

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steph , have you stopped by the initiation thread?

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Steph, you're making an ass of yourself. That's a pun too. Ass. Like a person's ass, but also the expression. Hilarity.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when did she become the butt of the joke?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be such a brown-noser Ganzfeld. Ew.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd jump in here, but I fear being told to butt out.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
I'd jump in here, but I fear being told to butt out.

You could try puckering up.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey YeeMum, who let you out? Get your arse back in the initiation and start whipping those bums back into shape. As penance you'll have to pick up a couple of cute buns on the way back.

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steph Summers

Let's wipe this thread clean.
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often considered the same thing, but the problem is, as far as I know there are no clear examples of its use in prehistoric times, not even in the neolithic period (when signs were ubiquitous). The closest thing is the double spiral or "owl face", or just possibly the "labyrinth". AFAIK the earliest hearts seem to be of medieval origin, in Europe at least. Perhaps an eastern origin? Alchemy?
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just one more bad pun for the Star Trek fans out there:

We have to go to Uranus and wipe out the Klingons!

[fish] Ow! OW!!! I'll stop!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i have this image from memory of a richie rich comic from my early years of RR using his Girlfriend as a hart stamp for valintes day or somthing like that
this would have to have been late 60's early 70's

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just speculation, butt...

Doggy-style is a pretty universal position. I've noticed both from experience and from pictures that when a woman is bent over and viewed from behind, the buttocks and labia can form a heartlike shape. Perhaps this is what these researchers are referring to?

Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Dragon:

Doggy-style is a pretty universal position. I've noticed both from experience and from pictures that when a woman is bent over and viewed from behind, the buttocks and labia can form a heartlike shape. Perhaps this is what these researchers are referring to?

Possibly, but I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

I think they're talking about the buttocks forming the curves at the top and the heart-shape is the line formed when you trace inwards to the small of the back.

I'd go looking for examples but I doubt I could successfully convince Mrs Sal that the reason I was staring at picture after picture of naked female butts was strictly for research purposes [Razz]

And she'd probably slap me if I asked to take a photo of hers to post on a messageboard [Big Grin]

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Dragon:

Possibly, but I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle.

I think they're talking about the buttocks forming the curves at the top and the heart-shape is the line formed when you trace inwards to the small of the back.

I'd go looking for examples but I doubt I could successfully convince Mrs Sal that the reason I was staring at picture after picture of naked female butts was strictly for research purposes [Razz]

And she'd probably slap me if I asked to take a photo of hers to post on a messageboard [Big Grin]

Actually, I've read several articles that support Dancing Dragon's position (obvious pun really not intended, I swear!) It seems to me the inverted heart/small of back would be more of a stretch, visually speaking. [slight hijack] I wish I could remember the sources, especially since one of the articles left one particular phrase burned into my brain: In discussing the closing of the "Pastoral Symphony" scene in Disney's Fantasia , the author commented on the image of the cherub's bottoms forming a heart by calling it "the most striking tribute to anality ever committed to film" -- great. Just what I need to be thinking when watching classical music set to Disney animation. [/hijack]

Anyway, this board isn't the first time I've come across the buttocks & genitals = heart argument.

"In the animal kingdom, this is what's known as 'presenting.'" - 5 for ref. [Wink]

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've noticed both from experience and from pictures that when a woman is bent over and viewed from behind, the buttocks and labia can form a heartlike shape.
I think we'd like to see some evidence on that...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
I've noticed both from experience and from pictures that when a woman is bent over and viewed from behind, the buttocks and labia can form a heartlike shape.
I think we'd like to see some evidence on that...
Yeah, but just you try going out on the street and approaching a lady: "Ma'am, I'm doing some scientific research, and I wonder if you'd help...."

You'll either get hit, get charged by the law, or get charged by the lady.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
You'll either get hit, get charged by the law, or get charged by the lady.

The third option being the point of the exercise, no doubt. [fish]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Musicgeek has it right. I was referring to the buttocks forming the upper curves and being traced down, with the labia forming the bottom point.
Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought the heart shape was the space between two lovers embracing. Of course I can't find a picture to demonstrate what I mean but I'll keep looking. Or if you want, just stand in front of a mirror and hug someone while leaving a space between you.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No doubt people saw a disembowled man before modern medience and surguy came around, but would they know what a prostrate was, and what it did?
Sure they did. It looked like a lying-down person, and odds are, it was probably lazy.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've always thought the heart shape was the space between two lovers embracing.
Isn't the point to don't have any space between you?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More likely it's a Symbolic representation of the Snake or Bird goddess.

(Please note I give the link because it provides the best illustrations I could find, not because I agree with the theory that it somehow comes from China. Chronologically, there's no reason to it.)

The Snake or Bird goddess (probably two manifestations of the same entity) was the main godhead of the (late stone/copper age) so-called Old-European or Danube cultures of 6000-3000 BC.

Vinca culture
Cucuteni culture

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
courier1009
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for courier1009   E-mail courier1009   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shaply butts make my heart go pitter patter.
Posts: 19 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
I've always thought the heart shape was the space between two lovers embracing.

This is what I've always heard. Not so much the space between them, but the silhouette of the two heads and backs.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages