snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Professional Deflower-ers in Guam?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Professional Deflower-ers in Guam?
TheJungOnes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 105 posted      Profile for TheJungOnes   E-mail TheJungOnes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I didn't find this topic already, so here I go. I ran across the following paragraph on a website of strange sex laws. I couldn't find any credible sites about this "law" or the related "full-time job" on google.

"There are men in Guam whose full-time job it is to travel the countryside and deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for the first time. Why? Under the law in Guam, it is forbidden for virgins to marry."
Dribbleglass.com Strange Sex Laws
Also covered on Pravad.ru.

So what's the word on this "law"? Both sites make it sound like this is still an everyday event on the island. I doubt it still true, but is it a 100% fabricated or did it used to be the practice on Guam?

Posts: 5 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sanity Zero
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sanity Zero   E-mail Sanity Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My bet is that it was a story made up by the Guamese(???) government has a ploy to increase immigration. Think about it. Lots of young, healthy men moving to Guam in the hopes of getting one of these 'dream jobs' who later find out that the real law is that anyone who deflowers a virgin must marry her. The men get shotgunned into being part of the family and helping out on the farm. They can't move back to where they came from because it is of course illegal in Guam to leave the country when you have been married for less than 7 years.
This is stage two of the plot because after seven years the men have lost any sense of their former home and remain with their by now somewhat perhaps sort of beloved spouse.
Government of Guam: 1 - Horny Men: 0

In all honesty though, I know it's from a strange sex laws thing so intrinsically it's probably not supposed to make any sense... but I mean, this one is just silly. The only way you would need a position like this is if the government forbid not only marrying when a virgin, but also premarital sex. Then you would have to have people that were basically vigilantes of justice deflowering local virgins to benefit the good of the people... sort of like Zorro I guess, but with a different sword.
I think the only reason it's Guam that has this law is that noone is ever going to bother to look it up. I say we send it to Dateline or something for an expose.

Posts: 85 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sanity Zero
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sanity Zero   E-mail Sanity Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
edited- somehow posted the same thing twice by accident. [dunce]
Posts: 85 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sanity Zero:
My bet is that it was a story made up by the Guamese(???) government has a ploy to increase immigration. Think about it. Lots of young, healthy men moving to Guam in the hopes of getting one of these 'dream jobs' who later find out that the real law is that anyone who deflowers a virgin must marry her. The men get shotgunned into being part of the family and helping out on the farm. They can't move back to where they came from because it is of course illegal in Guam to leave the country when you have been married for less than 7 years.
This is stage two of the plot because after seven years the men have lost any sense of their former home and remain with their by now somewhat perhaps sort of beloved spouse.
Government of Guam: 1 - Horny Men: 0

In all honesty though, I know it's from a strange sex laws thing so intrinsically it's probably not supposed to make any sense... but I mean, this one is just silly. The only way you would need a position like this is if the government forbid not only marrying when a virgin, but also premarital sex. Then you would have to have people that were basically vigilantes of justice deflowering local virgins to benefit the good of the people... sort of like Zorro I guess, but with a different sword.
I think the only reason it's Guam that has this law is that noone is ever going to bother to look it up. I say we send it to Dateline or something for an expose.

YOMANK...RC does not go well with a computer keyboard.

Heather

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
vigilantes of justice deflowering local virgins to benefit the good of the people
[lol] I'm using that line this weekend.
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheJungOnes:
Under the law in Guam, it is forbidden for virgins to marry.

You'd think they'd just lose their virginity to the person they wanted to marry.

Actually, this brings up another point... how do they know if you're a virgin when you marry? They'd have to check everyone's...and even then that's not a guarantee...

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmm... same story, different people: Fathers sticking their fingers into their daughters' vaginas before marriage in the Bible.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to the World Factbook, Guam has a population of just under 170,000 as of July 2005.

Can anyone do the maths on how many full-time deflowerers the population could support?

I'm having comedy sketch thoughts about deflowerers coming to blows over a virgin... or maybe the law is revoked. "Alms for an ex-deflowerer, sir/mam?"

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Can anyone do the maths on how many full-time deflowerers the population could support?
I bet there is stiff competition.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Corwin
I Am Curious Bluefin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corwin   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
I bet there is stiff competition.

I'm sure there is, despite the hard work involved.

--------------------
Then lightning struck... Bad lightning.

Posts: 259 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Can you imagine the career questionaire that would lead to this job?

21. Do you like to work outdoors or indoors?
22. Do you deal better with people or numbers?
23. Do you like to NFBSK young virgins?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
1) It seems that such a law would be a bit challenging to enforce.
2) Even if such a law existed, I suspect the virgin and her husband-to-be would have little difficulty in overcoming that impediment themselves.

Edit: Overcoming, not overcovering.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Hmm... same story, different people: Fathers sticking their fingers into their daughters' vaginas before marriage in the Bible.

That sounds like a very misremembered gypsy tradition (I'll track down a cite) where the newlyweds would, following the ceremony, have sex on a white cloth. The cloth was brough back to the guests blood-spotted, there was even greater cause for celebration.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Considering that Guam is US territory, I really doubt the existance of that law. It may have been the custom of the native people years ago but a current law? No way.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm a few days late in discovering this discussion.

When I pointed out this thread to my cubicle neighbor who lived in Guam for a laugh, he informed me that modern Guam is well over 90% Roman Cathlolic. So, the oppisite state of Viginity I presume is the goal of most mariage bound young maidens.

So for there to be any kernal of truth in this factoid, one would have to go back a few centuries to tribal Guam.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
room88
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for room88     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Born and raised there I can tell you all it's absolutely 100% false (about as preposterous as saying that it's the law in the United States). Nor was it ever a part of ancient "tribal" Guam. It would be almost comical how this wacked out fiction has spread around the internet.. if it wasn't so sad that so many people actually believed it..

Marie Claire magazine actually printed out some of these rumors in a 2002 issue and it it caused an outright uproar! It dominated the local news and talk radio for days. People couldn't believe it was being printed as fact. Women of Guam from all parts of life (including the Lt. Governor who was a woman) staged protests burning the magazine and demanded an apology. See details here: http://members.aol.com/magastodu/c_issues/ntl_news/01012002.htm

This outright crazy mistruth really needs it's own Snopes entry! Hey as a guy I'd probably like to see a "deflowerer" job back at home... but let's just get real here. [Wink]

Posts: 2 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Welcome to the board, room88.

It's always good to have first-hand input on a UL rebuttal..

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

Not that the Bible isn't full of wacky sexual escapades (read the end of the Sodom & Gommorah story that they never taught in Sunday school, in which Lot's daughters get their old man drunk so they can rape him to get themselves pregnant!), but this particular site makes some interesting leaps of logic and doesn't exactly present a balanced scholarly take on the subject. It's an Islamic site that does its best to portray the Judaic tradition as one of perversion and pederasty. Please note that I'm not making this accusation at Muslims or at Islam in general; I'm merely commenting on this site. (I certainly don't want my own church to be judged based on the writings of Phelps or Robertson, and I don't believe that this particular site is representative of mainstream Islam.)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:

I know many guys that would work VERY cheaply for a position in this line of work...

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by spe934:
quote:
Originally posted by Felessan:

I know many guys that would work VERY cheaply for a position in this line of work...
But only for a few years, until age catches up and the urgency leaves them. Obviously no tenured positions would be available, but pretty much of the younger male population might be so conscripted into duty. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:
That sounds like a very misremembered gypsy tradition (I'll track down a cite) where the newlyweds would, following the ceremony, have sex on a white cloth. The cloth was brough back to the guests blood-spotted, there was even greater cause for celebration.

If anyone is misremembering, it's Gypsies themselves.

At least in Spain, Gypsy wedding ceremonies involve the old women of the family deflowering the bride with a white cloth to prove her virginity.

(I could look for cites if you want, but I saw the footage on TV - besides, Gypsies themselves have never hidden that such practice takes place).

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Book-a-chow

Another chow

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages