snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » A Baby's Hug

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Baby's Hug
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 97 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Baby's Hug

We were the only family with children in the restaurant. I sat Erik in a high chair and noticed everyone was quietly sitting and talking.

Suddenly, Erik squealed with glee and said, "Hi." He pounded his fat baby hands on the high chair tray. His eyes were crinkled in laughter and his mouth was bared in a toothless grin, as he wriggled and giggled with merriment.

I looked around and saw the source of his merriment. It was a man whose pants were baggy with a zipper at half-mast and his toes poked out of would-be shoes. His shirt was dirty and his hair was uncombed and unwashed. His whiskers were too short to be called a beard and his nose was so varicose it looked like a road map. We were too far from him to smell, but I was sure he smelled.

His hands waved and flapped on loose wrists. "Hi there, baby; hi there, big boy. I see ya, buster," the man said to Erik. My husband and I exchanged looks, "What do we do?"

Erik continued to laugh and answer, "Hi."

Everyone in the restaurant noticed and looked at us and then at the man. The old geezer was creating a nuisance with my beautiful baby.

Our meal came and the man began shouting from across the room, "Do ya patty cake? Do you know peek-a-boo? Hey, look, he knows peek-a-boo."

Nobody thought the old man was cute. He was obviously drunk.

My husband and I were embarrassed. We ate in silence; all except for Erik, who was running through his repertoire for the admiring skid-row bum, who in turn, reciprocated with his cute comments.

We finally got through the meal and headed for the door. My husband went to pay the check and told me to meet him in the parking lot. The old man sat poised between me and the door. "Lord, just let me out of here before he speaks to me or Erik," I prayed. As I drew closer to the man, I turned my back trying to sidestep him and avoid any air he might be breathing. As I did, Erik leaned over my arm, reaching with both arms in a baby's "pick-me-up" position. Before I could stop him, Erik had propelled himself from my arms to the man. Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship. Erik in an act of total trust, love, and submission laid his tiny head upon the man's ragged shoulder. The man's eyes closed, and I saw tears hover beneath his lashes. His aged hands full of grime, pain, and hard labor, cradled my baby's bottom and stroked his back. No two beings have ever loved so deeply for so short a time.

I stood awestruck. The old man rocked and cradled Erik in his arms and his eyes opened and set squarely on mine. He said in a firm commanding voice, "You take care of this baby." Somehow I managed, "I will," from a throat that contained a stone. He pried Erik from his chest, lovingly and longingly, as though he were in pain. I received my baby, and the man said, "God bless you, ma'am, you've given me my Christmas gift."

I said nothing more than a muttered thanks. With Erik in my arms, I ran for the car. My husband was wondering why I was crying and holding Erik so tightly, and why I was saying, "My God, my God, forgive me." I had just witnessed Christ's love shown through the innocence of a tiny child who saw no sin, who made no judgment; a child who saw a soul, and a mother who saw a suit of clothes. I was a Christian who was blind, holding a child who was not. I felt it was God asking, "Are you willing to share your son for a moment?" when He shared His for all eternity.

The ragged old man, unwittingly, had reminded me, "To enter the Kingdom of God, we must become as little children."

If this has blessed you, please bless others by sending it on.

Sometimes, it takes a child to remind us of what is really important. We must always remember who we are, where we came from and, most importantly, how we feel about others. The clothes on your back or the car that you drive or the house that you live in does not define you at all; it is how you treat your fellow man that identifies who you are.

This one is a keeper.

"It is better to be liked for the true you, than to be loved for who people think you are......"

Was anyone else creeped out by the line, "Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship"?  -

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Was anyone else creeped out by the line, "Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship"?  -

I totally was, and had decided to quote it with an "EEEEUUUWWW" before I even finished reading your post and saw it creeped you out, too.

Creepiest. Glurge. EVER.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YEARRRGH I hadn't noticed that line until you guys pointed it out. Eww! Eww eww ewwwww!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly the only glurge, second to that child rape glurge, that instantly wants you to take a long hot shower to wash the evil off and gouge out your eyes (after pouring bleach into them).

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I drew closer to the man, I turned my back trying to sidestep him and avoid any air he might be breathing. As I did, Erik leaned over my arm, reaching with both arms in a baby's "pick-me-up" position. Before I could stop him, Erik had propelled himself from my arms to the man.
I'm trying to envision how an infant would propel himself over his mother's shoulder and into the arms of a man standing a few feet away, while said infant's arms were raised in a pick-me-up position. Is this a child or a bullfrog?

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I had just witnessed Christ's love shown through the innocence of a tiny child who saw no sin,

Because, of course, he wasn't old enough to recognise sin, even his own, which he had, just for being born.

And what is this man's specific sin that the child doesn't see? Being homeless? Messy? Smelly? Or is this referring to the inherent sin in all man?

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What blows my mind is this guy is allowed to hang around and annoy other patrons at the resturant, with the description they give of him. What is he, the eccentric billionaire who lives on the streets?

Btw, the creepy "Suddenly a very old smelly man and a very young baby consummated their love and kinship" line is made all the creepier when you read an earlier line describing him:
quote:
It was a man whose pants were baggy with a zipper at half-mast
"Half-mast"??!! Dear Lord, is there no end to this depravity?! [Eek!]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 16 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
quote:
As I drew closer to the man, I turned my back trying to sidestep him and avoid any air he might be breathing. As I did, Erik leaned over my arm, reaching with both arms in a baby's "pick-me-up" position. Before I could stop him, Erik had propelled himself from my arms to the man.
I'm trying to envision how an infant would propel himself over his mother's shoulder and into the arms of a man standing a few feet away, while said infant's arms were raised in a pick-me-up position. Is this a child or a bullfrog?
None of my 3 would . In fact for the first 18 months or more they would aviod contact with almost everyone except me and DH and oler siblings...

It would have taken something truely extra-ordinary to get them to react to some-one else

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also makes absolutely no sense from the standpoint of the way children really do react to bad smells, seemingly ugly appearances etc. A baby would normally recoil and cry or at least make a horrible face at the smell. A pre-schooler might even go "Peww, that man stinks!" and turn away. What little baby would be so attracted to a smelly old man with his fly partly down? Little kids just don't have this deep thinking and perception that the stinky old guy is lonely... Only that he's yucky and scary. It's us adults who try our best not to show how disgusted we are around people like this, and it's adults who rationalize about the poor guy probably not having any friends. This glurge had to have been written by some friendless, smelly adult. And yes, the consumation of love thing is really creepy, not to mention just plain ridiculous. Love? What love? It was all of what, a few moments the man and child spent in this weird encounter?
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capri:
It also makes absolutely no sense from the standpoint of the way children really do react to bad smells, seemingly ugly appearances etc.

I'm not sure about that. I have an uncle who was very badly burned in a helicopter accident about 45 years ago. He is considerably disfigured (although we don't think of him that way). DD and I were out to dinner once with him and my aunt, and he started "flirting" with a baby at the next table. I was afraid the baby would be scared of my uncle's face, but it didn't happen that way. The baby just smiled and laughed at him. Maybe it just depends on the kid.

And of course, my uncle didn't stink, he was dressed nicely, and AFAIK his fly was zipped. [Smile]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great point, Lainie, I guess some kids - not all, react to appearances a bit later. But definitely the b-o of the man in the chain letter would've repelled anybody I'd think.
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, a baby may or may not be receptive to a smelly freaky old drunk in a restarant, but any mother who would hand over her kid (children DO NOT fly through the air no matter how much they "propel" themselves - what if the kid "propelled" himself toward the freeway, you sayin' you can't hold on to a baby???!!) to such a person needs a slap across the face. Maybe the guy is disease free, but it's a sad fact that a lot of homeless people have high rates of tb and other diseases and I would NEVER let my baby touch one I didn't know. ~ I work in my church's soup kitchen and believe in social support for these people, but that doesn't mean I have to let them slobber all over my baby, whose health I have been charged with safeguarding. I smile at them and look them in the eye and treat them like human beings, but THEY ARE NOT GOING TO HOLD MY BABY!!

And the consummate thing - again - on a scale of 1 to 10, that's a 12 on the EEEUUUOOOOWWW scale. JEEZ!!!!

"No two beings have ever loved so deeply for so short a time." ~ OH JEEZ!!!! ~ where's that barfing smilie???? What, are they two reincarnated star crossed lovers or some ilk??? Give me a break. That's just...stupid.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
"No two beings have ever loved so deeply for so short a time." ~ OH JEEZ!!!! ~ where's that barfing smilie???? What, are they two reincarnated star crossed lovers or some ilk??? Give me a break. That's just...stupid.

No barfing smilie, but how about a reglurgitation?

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fact that he was smelly and badly dressed would TOTALLY endear him to my young nephew.

"See mommy, he doens't have to take a bath and he's a grown up."

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Hehe. Yeah, that's one way to look at it, but I doubt even your nephew would throw himself at the man to give him a hug.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages