snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » What does love mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does love mean?
Chocklit
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Chocklit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Subject: What Does Love Mean?

Slow down for three minutes to read this.
A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds, "What does love mean?"
The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined. See what you think:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth."
Billy - age 4
________________________________________________________________________________________

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs."
Chrissy - age 6
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."
Terri - age 4
________________________________________________________________________________________

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."
Danny - age 7

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss."
Emily - age 8
_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen."
Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)
_________________________________________________________________________________________

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate."
Nikka - age 6(we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday."
Noelle - age 7

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well."
Tommy - age 6

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore."
Cindy - age 8

"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night."
Clare - age 6

"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken."
Elaine-age 5

"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Brad Pitt."
Chris - age 7

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day."
Mary Ann - age 4

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.
Lauren - age 4

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." (what an image)
Karen - age 7
"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget."
Jessica - age 8

And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contest was to find the most caring child.

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I just helped him cry"

_________________________________________________________________________________________When there is nothing left but God, that is when you find out that God is all you need. Take 60 seconds and give this a shot! All you do is simply say the following small prayer for the person who sent you this.

Father, God bless all my friends in whatever it is that You know they may be needing this day! And may their life be full of your peace, which transcends all understanding. Amen

--------------------
"Jesus must be spinning in his grave." - Barney Gumble

Posts: 26 | From: Burns Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cestrian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cestrian   E-mail Cestrian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that not only did the little kiddies not mention God but the Glurge writer appends God to the end of the article in a way that has no relevance to subject in question ("What does love mean").

And by interesting I mean nauseating.

--------------------
"Endeavour to persevere"

Posts: 104 | From: Gravesend, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jelly Bean Queen
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jelly Bean Queen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of them don't sound like the way kids talk. I work with kids for a living and have never heard anything like some of the more sophisticated statements allegedly from four year olds.....

--------------------
Something witty yet profound that makes me look smarter than I am.

Posts: 51 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
winegums

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winegums   E-mail winegums   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles
Posts: 50 | From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to Nikka (which sounds so wrong if you're English. why would you name your kid after underpants?) and had to stop. Eurgh.

ETA: I forced myself to go back and finish. Eurgh once again. Why are all the ones about parents 'when mommy xxxxx daddy'? Doesn't daddy love mommy?

Oh and a contest for the most caring child?! Talk about mean. "sorry johnny, you just weren't caring enough. I know you saved a sackful of puppies and kitten from drowning, but that kid sat on someone's lap!"

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocklit:

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday."
Noelle - age 7

I somehow missed that cue once. I told a friend I was quite attracted to that although I was a lapsed Catholic, I still had a severe weakness for plaid skirts. Next day, guess what she was wearing?

And somehow I still didn't ask her out. Nice to know a seven-year old can pick up on what I couldn't! [lol]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken." Elaine-age 5
[/qb]

That is almost straight from a Chris Rock bit. Either Elaine's parents have been letting her watch Chris Rock, or it's bunk. You decide.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
winegums

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winegums   E-mail winegums   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A group of professional people

how does one become a professional person? Do you need a lot of experience in being a person, or is there some sort of training? [Roll Eyes]

yeah these kids sound made up. they're a bit too articulate and aware for four year olds.

Posts: 50 | From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, their linguistics are too advanced, but as for any of their "love" ideas being "deep" that's a laugh. The truth is, kids that age can't think deeply yet, let alone teach adults to.
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bassjohn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassjohn   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's obviously been around for a while, as the list appears here, with an acknowledgement saying the author had seen it a few years ago.

http://www.mercola.com/2006/feb/23/love_from_a_childs_perspective.htm

Also would most kids respond to the question with some variation of "Eurrrgh, don't be soppy!"

--------------------
When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray.
When you switch on TV and a pattern you see, that a moire.

http://www.myspace.com/bassjohn

Posts: 24 | From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lol Yes. I can see some kids giving one or two word answers. "Mushy stuff." for example. Or "Hugging and kissing." because that's what they see around them as love.
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."
Terri - age 4

Especially when it's the REASON you're tired! [fish]

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the subtle inflection that God feels that if you don't send this message on to at least 10 other people, then you're just not caring enough.
I can stomach glurge, but I can't stand that little message thrown in at the end.

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Love quite obviously is caring enough about your friends and family not to attempt to place them in a diabetic coma from this kind of drivel.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Yeah, and it's not even sugar-sweet, it's saccharin - as in artificial. And any attempt at emotional blackmailing the reader into forwarding on a chain just irritates the heck out of me. And tossing in any reference to God/Jesus/Christ makes me seethe. God doesn't use the tools of liars, spammers, hoaxters and scammers to send humanity any kind of message. When you consider how many chain letters are full of malicious lies about people, sick kid hoaxes, and tries to tell you what kind of second-rate human you are by not forwarding something, then do the most hypocritical thing of all and throw God into the mix, Graaaaaaaargh! Why so many of my friends/family/list members just don't see the obvious, and quit forwarding junk, period, I don't know. Some people choose to remain willing, witless victims of fwds, and that makes me scream.
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... I've heard wisdom from the mouth of babes. Usually though it isn't the result of some deep connection with the universe but more a case of a haphazard observation by the child being coloured by my adult understanding. Almost a little like astrology -- say something vague yet seemingly meaningful and people will supply their own meaning.

Having said that, none of those supposed quotes appear to have actually been spoken by young children.

ETA: Except maybe the 2nd last one about the stars. That I could believe from a 7yr old. Sal Jr at that age confided in me that the house we were living it at the time was "filled with hundreds of secret passages that have skeletons in them I have to fight to get past". He was very serious about it.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate."
Friends I hate? Who keeps friends they hate? I'm guessing the "kid" doesn't have the word "enemy" in their vocabulary...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garnet Jell-o

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Garnet Jell-o   Author's Homepage   E-mail Garnet Jell-o   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
quote:

"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken." Elaine-age 5

That is almost straight from a Chris Rock bit. Either Elaine's parents have been letting her watch Chris Rock, or it's bunk. You decide.
Ah, so that's the source of that quote...I remember seeing it in an AIM profile of some guy I went to high school with and I thought, "What the hell?"

Also, I agree with jessboo about how it's unsettling that none of the ones that mention both parents have Daddy showing Mommy affection. Mommies need love, too!

--------------------
"I'm really quite simple. I don't want to be in the business full-time because I'm a gardener. I plant flowers and watch them grow. I don't go out to clubs and partying. I stay at home and watch the river flow." - George Harrison

Posts: 28 | From: Towson, Maryland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seasonal petrelgirl
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seasonal petrelgirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Noelle's statement made me wonder if she likes Cardcaptors. (NOT Cardcaptor Sakura)

Unfortunately, Mary Ann's statement got to me. My family has a puppy, and when I come home, she jumps on me and licks me all over my face.

I also think Karen's parents should wonder what their kid is watching on their sattelite/digital cable channels they purchased.

--------------------
"I suggest we decide through a knife battle" "But you're the only one of us that carries a knife." "Correction, [I carry] four."

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages