snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Aww isn't this sweet! (and cheezy) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Aww isn't this sweet! (and cheezy)
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lol, getting a kick out of some of your comments.

Well - the point of this rather stinky cheesy glurge is to get the reader in a romantic mood, and then tell them something good will happen if they forward it, and the opposite will happen if they don't. What I find really urksome is that so many people do pass this kind of stuff along, and they're supposed to be smart enough to know that a text message can't determine what your life will be like depending on how many people you forward it to. Not unless you want to count the friends they lose because they offended them by sending on chain mail.

I was expecting something horrible to happen as well, like a car accident, where they die in each other's arms, breathing "I love you" with their last dying breaths. Because when you drive, you're supposed to have both hands on the wheel, not holding on to something or someone else with the other hand. And if that had been the outcome, it would've been the girl's fault since she had the idea and struck me as a real ditz even before that point. So, a glurge that shows a ditzy girl, as if there needs to be any more of that stereotype floating around cyberspace. Argh.

Then the "firworks" thing, I wondered where they came from and was almost expecting the glurge to say that the fireworks had mysteriously formed over the "blessed union" by their "guardian angels smiling down upon them and all the heavens wept for joy to see their darlings bind together in eternal love." I'm glad it didn't get as puky as that, but it sure came close. AS for "firworks" lol. Did the trees magically form a "Will you marry me?" because of the angels again or did the boy hire some loggers to be in place to make the words as the two lovebirds were getting engaged?

And I got the feeling these two were just kids in middle school or early high school. Certainly the boy had to be barely old enough to be legally employed. Their vocabulary wasn't adult, they were awkward, and the whole thing appears to be written by a twelve-year-old.

Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
they both watched a movie and ate dinner.... once they were done eating they head back to the car but before she got into the car...

-boy:wait! can i blind fold you?

-girl: why??!

-boy:its a suprise

-girl: what kind of suprise?

-boy: a big one

-girl: okay but only if you promise me that you will hold my hand while we're driving.

-boy: i promise.

-girl: ok blind fold me...

-girl: Wait! THAT'S NOT YOUR HAND!!!!!!

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Apolacyps
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apolacyps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Giggle. Those are some clever responses!

It's scary how similar all these MySpace things are. Surely they're not all written by the same 15 year old girl. That must mean that all these girls' brains work in very similar ways, or are connected somehow. MySpace hivemind!

Apparently the average 15 year old MySpace girl dreams of wedding proposals. That's just a little freaky to me, and somewhat sad.

Then there's the whole writing style. I too kept expecting something terrible to happen, like in the "Stupid Girl" one. It's probably because of all the useless information, about him being at work when he wasn't supposed to be and all that. I kept expecting that information to be relevant to the story somehow.

Can you imagine how mortified these girls must be when they're adults looking back on their teenage years. All this drivel published on the web for the world to see... I wrote some pretty pathetic stuff as a teenager, but I definitely didn't show it to the world!

Posts: 10 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl:
I read the whole thing expecting something horrible to happen any moment!

Me too! these stories typically end in some sort of mass OMG!!!!111UNO!!!!homicide-suicide.
quote:

How did it take two hours to plan going where they first met?

To be fair, he did manage to spell "Will you marry me" out of evergreen trees.
DAMN DAMN DAMN My bottom is covered in THREE handprints!
and I thought that was the cleverest thing I've ever said!
Lind"stay tuned for my myspace glurge: Spanked on snopes: A Suicide in One Typoed Act"iglo
EDITED because I accidentally signed twice---
Lindiglo
indiglo
ndiglo
diglo
iglo
glo
lo
o
Edited again because I capitalized snopes!
Lindiglo: im leving this thred 4ever i hurt it 2 much.
boy: no
Lindiglo: yes.
Lindiglo: (kills self)

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind the firworks, what about...

"so they drove off........... and then they stoped."

What the f-word is stope?

Wait, I don't think I want to know.

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stormfeather:
quote:
Originally posted by piyokochan:
Add me to the list of "I was expecting him to rape her or something after he put on the blindfold" people.

And I was expecting him to lead her into a house and sit her down at the table where she started passing gas, until I remembered that this was the section for glurge, not urban legends spotted in the wild. [Wink]
I had this whole thing going, thinking maybe he had died, and so his ghost took her to a place with special meaning for both of them.

I figured she'd call his house the next day, only to have it answered by his weeping mother.
At one point I thought the blindfold was all the better to walk her into traffic or off a cliff.
At the beginning, I thought it was all about the importance of telling people you love him. I figured he would die, but somehow get a message of love to her...from the grave. Kinda like a "Ghost" thing.
Needless to say...wrong!

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree that this was a major letdown. Where is the killing of one of them or the moral to this thing?

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apolacyps:
Apparently the average 15 year old MySpace girl dreams of wedding proposals. That's just a little freaky to me, and somewhat sad.

Yup, it strikes me that way too. These stories are never about winning important competitions because the gals sweated for those wins even when things got rough and others around them threw in the towel, or about overcoming adversity to earn scholarships to good schools and by so doing setting their feet on the paths to better lives, or about success gained through their turning their hobbies into businesses that made them millionaires, it's always about the "Will you marry me?" and the implied happily ever after. To a 15-year-old girl, success in life is still about finding True Love, the flowery proposal, and starring in a wedding rather that what she herself might do.

Barbara "limited rather than Ltd." Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl:
I read the whole thing expecting something horrible to happen any moment!

It did - we kept reading.

Barbara "litteratchur" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
These stories are never about winning important competitions because the gals sweated for those wins even when things got rough and others around them threw in the towel, or about overcoming adversity to earn scholarships to good schools and by so doing setting their feet on the paths to better lives, or about success gained through their turning their hobbies into businesses that made them millionaires, it's always about the "Will you marry me?" and the implied happily ever after. To a 15-year-old girl, success in life is still about finding True Love, the flowery proposal, and starring in a wedding rather that what she herself might do.

Barbara "limited rather than Ltd." Mikkelson

Oh, yes. You should check out some of the fanfiction that floats around. I swear, of all the teenaged girls who saw the Lord of the Rings movies, I think half of them sat through that nine-hour-plus trilogy and saw absolutely nothing except "ARGORN + AYOWIN OTP!!!!!111!1"

But the most frustrating -- and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan -- is Harry Potter fanfic, specifically Hermione stories. There are a few recurring motifs:

• A swift mention in the first paragraph that Voldemort was vanquished a year or so ago.
  • Draco Malfoy's decision to stop being evil and start being nice. (Alternately: the revelation that Draco isn't really evil, but is regularly abused by his father.)
  • The revelation that Hermione is adopted and "really a Pureblood".
  • Hermione's sudden realization that there are things much more important than books and study. Like clothes and shopping and dyeing one's hair "jet black" and going around in a miniskirt and a "blood red halter top" that show her pierced navel.
  • Happy Ending: Ron is really evil, beats Hermione and tries to rape her, but Draco rescues her.
  • Hermione and Draco marry and live happily ever after.
  • Oh yeah, Harry marries somebody too.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Round and 'round in circles we go. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK Cactus Wren. Somehow I managed to avoid that particular fanfic, mainly because I pretty much only read Harry Potter fanfics if they are both 1) from a recommended author who can actually spell and 2) parodies. [Smile]

PS. I am a big fan of the Lord of the Rings books and after reading it I pretty much felt that Arwen should have left Aragorn, given the way things went. Bah, I feel more sorry for Elrond. At the end credits of the movie one of the girls behind me sighed and said 'It's so romantic, why is her daddy being a jerk?"

I explained that he was probably sad that she would die as a mortal while he would have to be the one to tell his wife, sons, and mother-in-law (Galadriel seems a bit scary) that Arwen wasn't ever going to see them again for eternity, and I fancy he was more nervous as he was going to be beat up by all 4 of them.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any Potter recs, Ink Rose?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly, Ink Rose. As I put it, deliberately tactlessly, on the ToRN message board, Elrond is watching his daughter marry a mayfly.

But you were lucky if all you caught was teenagers sighing romantically over the canon pairing. For every Aragorn/Arwen fanfic out there, I suspect there are at least three in which Arwen is portrayed as a harpy whose only interest is becoming Queen of Gondor, an utter bitch who stole Aragorn from his true love, Éowyn. Or his true love, Marisuthiel. Or his true love, Legolas (it's entertaining to imagine how Tolkien would react to the current generation of fanfic).

Ana Ng and Ink Rose -- my own favorite Potter parody is Alice Dryden's ho for hoggwarts, but it's at least as much a Molesworth parody as a Potter.
quote:
hoggwarts is a super skool where they diskard wet and weedy muggle subjekts such as fr. lat. geog. ect. and insted learn to make potions and LEVITATE. Rather than foopball the eager students pla QUIDDITCH and fli about on broomsticks wizz, and to everybode's grate surprise hary turn out to be a natural Seker so in some respekts the skool story hav not changed.

There is also a baddy in the shape of lord VOLDEMORT, an evil wizzard who want to kill pore hary, three BULIES called malfoy, crab and goyl and a DRAGON. All in all it is much like my dere alma mater st custards only more xciting and with better food.

But the funniest Potter parody ever, beyond doubt, is The Lecture, a transcript of sex-ed class at Hogwarts, as given by Severus Snape:
quote:
You know why you're here. I'm here because I drew the shortest straw this year. So let's get started, shall we?

Let me start of by saying that the information I am about to impart to you will gain you nothing but trouble. You thought my potions midterm was, perhaps, frustrating and humiliating? It has nothing on this, especially for us men. At least with the potions midterm there's a chance, however slim, that you could study harder and get a better grade in my class. With this the only way to learn is from practice. And from the looks of most of you that will be hard to come by.

Made With Our Love hits back at Harry/Draco slash.

Something a little more serious is Let Them Fade, a brilliant refutation of the idea behind the grotesque "marriage law" story challenge.

And Ink Rose, I wasn't describing a particular story -- every single element I mentioned is a recurring motif in multiple stories! It's distressing to realize how many young people can read the Harry Potter stories and completely miss so many of Rowling's points.

For instance: I always thought it was obvious that pure-blood prejudice against Muggle-borns was intended as directly analogous to racial prejudice in the real world -- that the epithet "mudblood" was the wizarding community's version of the N word, and that Draco Malfoy is a vicious racist bigot. The point of having Hermione Granger -- the brightest witch of her generation -- be Muggle-born was to establish that "purity of blood" is in reality a non-issue and those who obsess over it are fools at best. But over and over, in fanfics, we see the conceit that Hermione is adopted, that she's "really a Pureblood", and that the biggest, most significant ramification of this is that now she and Draco can be a couple.

Similarly, Hermione is given a very specific description in canon. She's got bushy hair and prominent teeth -- she's not homely, in fact it's established that she's quite pretty when she makes the effort, but she doesn't always take the time to do that. What she does take the time to do, always, is read. She reads, she studies, she's a brain. But again and again in fanfic we see the "Hermione Had Changed Over The Summer" motif: Hermione with her hair straightened and "raven black", Hermione in clothing from Hot Topic, Hermione listening to Evanescence on her CD player, Hermione with multiple piercings, Hermione insisting on being called "Mya" or "Mina" -- and worst of all, Hermione consciously and deliberately deciding to abandon her interest in books in favor of the "important" things -- clothes, fashion, and shopping.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally I dislike to see glurge threads hijacked. But this particular glurge doesn't interest me, and the current subject is a little lcoser to my heart.

And if you think Harry/Draco or Hermione/Draco is disturbing...you should see the Outlaw Star fangirls who thinkt hat Melfina's Mr. Right is Harry MacDougal, for the sole reason that, and I quote, "they look so cute together!" And trust me, if you know anything about the series, you'll know how unabashedly WRONG that pairing is.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Potter Humor:
brought to you by the letter s, the number 69, and InkRose the Thread Hijaker.

Anything by nonjon , even if it sounds serious it may still be a parody. Dimension Hopping... is my personal fav.

Fangella Maria...is hilariously funny but only if you are a little more familiar with irritating Azkaban fucs. I'm not, but it was still funny, All Azkaban Parodies Mocked!

Rorschach's Blot is my all time favorite. Make a Wishis omy all time favorite, and one of the funniest fics ever in my humble opinion.

Basically Lupin has a teenage fanclub
Harry uses extreme sarcasm

Once Upon a Freakin Time

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages