snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Diversions » Sightings » Saved By The Bell: Sighting on Third Watch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saved By The Bell: Sighting on Third Watch
Jeremy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the season premier of Third Watch on Monday 2 October.

One of the plotlines was a kidnapped guy was buried alive. They found him (alive) near the end, but one of the officers told the "saved by the bell" story.

You know, the one where dead people about to be buried had a string with a bell tied to their hand... the string was run up to the surface. If they were actually alive, they would just pull the string and a bell would ring... and they'd be saved. Hence, "Saved by the Bell".

It was really unrelated to the entire plot, it struck me as a time-killer, just something to fill 30 seconds or so... or MAYBE they are just testing us

Snopes debunking is at: http://www.snopes.com/spoons/fracture/1500.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mina

I am currently takeing a class about Vampires, comparing the eastern folklore and the western mythology. (Actually, I dropped it yesterday, but that's beside the point). We watched this A&E Ancient Mysteries about the vampires of eastern europe, and the saved by the bell story was mentioned. I believe the episode is a couple of years old.

Mi "I want to suck your blood" na

ROBERT.BAK

I always thought that "saved by the bell" came from boxing -- the analogy being that of a boxer who is being counted out, when the count is interrupted by the bell signalling the end of the round...

jlwhite

I seem to remember seeing a "Ripley's Believe It or Not" show when I was little (they used to do 0.5 or 1 hour shows?) showing a coffin with a pipe that went to the surface. It also had pull-chord that would cause some sort of flag to come out of the top end (could have been a colorful, umbrella-style device, I don't remember for sure.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages