snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Interesting species, these "black people" . . . (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interesting species, these "black people" . . .
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My husband and his brother swear that black people have an extra
muscle in their leg that white people don't have. The insist they were
taught that growing up. Any knowledge of this? My argument against this is what happens when people
are of mixed race? I'm pretty sure that no races have a different anatomy
than others.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My argument against this is what happens when people are of mixed race?
They get an extra muscle in one leg. Duh.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 602 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Are African American's afraid of cats?
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 503 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Phys Ed teacher I'm paired with at school says she learned in physiology class in college that "black" people have an extra calf muscle that "white" people don't have. That's why "white people can't jump." It apparently is a dominant trait that mixed-race people also supposedly have. I just have to take her word for it since I'm a music teacher and only learned about embouchure and diaphramatic breathing. [Confused]

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I work with a Black man that volunteers as a coach for an inner city swim team. When they took third place in their county competition a few years ago, he told me "That's really good for an all black swim team!" When I questioned him as to what he meant by this he said "well, black peoples muscles are denser than white peoples, so we aren't as bouyant." I just nodded, smiled, and went on about my business.

Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I work for a swimming pool and my boss told me that african
americans sink faster than caucasian. I asked her why, she told me that it
was because african americans have a higher bone density than caucasians?
is this true???

LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's one articulate pool...

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
EthanMitchell
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EthanMitchell   E-mail EthanMitchell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read that people in subsaharan Africa on average have a very different distribution of long twitch / short twitch muscle fiber than Europeans. I don't know if the claim was based on any real studies or, if so, if those studies were significant and not hopelessly based on dummy variables for races that have little physiological reality. But it might have been the origin of this UL.
Posts: 330 | From: New Haven, VT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a much better swimmer than my husband. I am also far more naturally bouyant than he is. I would imagine my bones are denser than his, but I have a much higher, er, displacement than he does.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: did the us government send crack cocaine into the inner cities to
get the black population addicted to a new, cheap drug?

GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know in one of my autopsy/body farm type books, the professor talks about how he tries to trick his anthropology students during an exam where they have to look at a variety of bones and identify them as Caucasoid, Mongoloid, or Negroid. He intentionally put a Negroid skeleton in the mix that had all the features of a Caucasoid skeleton (I have no idea beyond certain skull features what those would be). The writer described how everyone would get that part of the exam wrong and then he would explain how all the rules of anatomy aren't set in stone. Then all of the students are sworn to secrecy so the next years students get it wrong too.

He goes on to write about a woman who took his class and actually got the answer correct, that it was a Negroid skeleton. The professor confronted her convinced she had heard it from a former student. She explained that she was in sports medicine and that it was the space between the knee bones segments that tipped her off. In the Negroid skeletons there is more space, which she was quoted as saying was preferable for Sports medicine people to work on because they could see what they were doing in there (or something like that).

I will have to get back to you on which book it was, they are all still in boxes. I am pretty sure it was by the guy who founded the Body Farm though.

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 503 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I work for a swimming pool and my boss told me that african
americans sink faster than caucasian. I asked her why, she told me that it
was because african americans have a higher bone density than caucasians?
is this true???

According to my college anthropology professor, Douglas Owsley now at the Smithsonian, this is indeed true. Africans have denser bones than caucasians. African women don't have to worry much about osteoporosis like caucasian women do. At least thats what he taught me.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is actually a pretty common belief in some circles. Usually the CIA is the culprit.

I've heard a lot of variations on this one, but the most popular seems to be that the CIA either started or controls the inner city drug trade to fund government projects that need to be kept "off the books."

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My husband and his brother swear that black people have an extra
taught that growing up.

They were taught to get an extra muscle in their leg while growing up?
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:

This is actually a pretty common belief in some circles. Usually the CIA is the culprit.

I've heard a lot of variations on this one, but the most popular seems to be that the CIA either started or controls the inner city drug trade to fund government projects that need to be kept "off the books."

I think it stems from the fact that the punishment for similar crimes involving cheap crack cocaine is far harsher than those involving expensive powder cocaine.

[ETA: I should include an "as I understand it"-type of disclaimer, as I don't have the relevant laws in front of me, nor could I provide citations without a lot of googling.]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the late eighties, reports that the CIA was supporting the Contras by selling cocaine didn't help. I'm sure there were stories before then of how the government was using drugs to control the inner cities but, as far as I know, that was the first connection to CIA and crack.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There's a joke in the movie "I, Robot" about cats and black people not getting along, so it's apparently some sort of cliche (not that black people are necessarily *afraid* of cats, just that they don't get along).

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What da

Blacks "were 7 times more likely than whites to commit homicide in 2002".
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

Blacks are four times more likely than Whites to kill their children...
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/kidsrates.txt

Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 32% of black males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to 17% of Hispanic males and 5.9% of white males.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

68.7% of blacks are born out of wedlock!

http://www..cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pdf/nvsr50_05tb19.pdf

62% of ALL black births are paid for by the US government.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/datawh/statab/pubd/2319_69.htm

Blacks are responsible for 40.8% of all domestic violence cases, despite
being only 13% of the population.
See page 34:

http://www.ojp.usdoj..gov/bjs/pub/pdf/vi.pdf

Though only 12% of the population, blacks take 38.3% of the total of all
welfare payments. Whites are 72% of the population, and take 30.5% of the
total.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/leavers99/race.htm#fig1

Though only 12% of the population, blacks take 38% of taxpayer-subsidized housing

http://www.huduser.org/datasets/assthsg/statedata96/descript.htm

welfare recipients and percent of the population

Race_______% of welfare_____% of population
Black________39%______________12%
White________31%_____________67-70%
Hispanic______25%______________15%

http://www.prcdc.org/summaries/poverty/poverty.html

JOURNAL OF BLACKS IN HIGHER EDUCATION

http://www.jbhe.com/

But income alone does not explain the racial scoring gap. Consider these
facts:

. Whites from families with incomes of less than $10,000 had a mean SAT
score of 980. This is 123 points higher than the national mean for all
blacks.
. Whites from families with incomes below $10,000 had a mean SAT test score
that was 46 points higher than blacks whose families had incomes of between
$80,000 and $100,000.
. Blacks from families with incomes of more than $100,000 had a mean SAT
score that was 142 points below the mean score for whites from families at
the same income level.

abbubmah

Icon 108 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well! The CIA is Teh Stoopid. Getting the poor population hooked on crack to fund projects? Sounds like they would have made more money in New Hampshire. Or maybe a corner stand in The Hamptons.

...that one always gets me... How are these "poor disadvantaged" supposed to be buying all that crack? Sheesh, even if I *wanted* to, it would be hard for me to spend extra money on something like that.

...I'm just confused...

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How are these "poor disadvantaged" supposed to be buying all that crack? Sheesh, even if I *wanted* to, it would be hard for me to spend extra money on something like that.
The government was going for a volume business.

- snopes

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingDavid8:
quote:

There's a joke in the movie "I, Robot" about cats and black people not getting along, so it's apparently some sort of cliche (not that black people are necessarily *afraid* of cats, just that they don't get along).
Somebody had better tell CatNip he's messing up the stereotype -- he lets mine sleep on his head.

And don't even get me started on how STB-MIL dotes on her kitty -- you'd think that little brat was the modern incarnation of Bast the way she dotes on him.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But he still has a bass guitar in the basement and knows how to play it right Four Kitties? (+10 for reference)

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Rikku
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Dark Rikku   E-mail Dark Rikku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But he still has a bass guitar in the basement and knows how to play it right Four Kitties? (+10 for reference)

"How many times do we have to go through this? Token, you're black, you can play basse"

Eric Cartman (South Park, Christian Rock Hard)

--------------------
Dark Rikku
Santorum happens
Hail bloody marys

Posts: 148 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Somebody had better tell CatNip he's messing up the stereotype -- he lets mine sleep on his head.

He's probably too frightened to move!!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My friend Shannon has said
there is a scientific reason that a person whose skin pigment is darker
will emit a more pungent, distinctly 'african american' scent. I have
never known any differentiation between races by scent, but she swears
that it's a proven scientific fact that the darker your skin tone is, the
more deep of a scent is emitted from your pores. I am having a hard time
buying her thoughts on this.

ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's based on the fact that what's emitted from their pores is not masked by coconut scented sunscreen.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be an interesting place to add my own "ethnic confusion" story. When I was a child and asked my older brother why some people have darker skin, he said it's because they live in Africa where it's hot all year round and they get tans. (Not horribly off. I mean, skin color is related to location, yes? Those living at the equator don't need to soak up the Vitamin D the way those at the Arctic Circle do. I learned something like that in Anthro.) Anyway, precocious child that I was, it left me wondering if those of African descent also had dark skin on their bottoms, as at the very least, that part would be covered while they were out in the sun all day.

Eve "I did eventually figure it out" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
it left me wondering if those of African descent also had dark skin on their bottoms, as at the very least, that part would be covered while they were out in the sun all day.

OK admit it this is just an attempt to set up a research paper where you spend all day looking at African bottoms.
Hope to see you in the Ignobels soon. [lol]

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: My husband and his brother swear that black people have an extra
taught that growing up. Any knowledge of this? My argument against this is what happens when people
are of mixed race? I'm pretty sure that no races have a different anatomy
than others.

I heard the extra muscle is in the middle leg.

My workmate swears that her government-approved school biology textbook in the US in the 1980s stated that Australian aborigines are not even members of the species homo sapiens. And no, it wasn't in Alabama, it was in "liberal" New Jersey. - and some Yanks here a while ago were accusing Aussies of being racist!

Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that certainly does prove that there isn't any racism in Australia, doesn't it?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 102 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have often wondered what percentage 'black' one had to be to have any of the positive and/or negative attributes of being 'black'.

And would any of this still apply if one could 'pass for white'?

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Well, that certainly does prove that there isn't any racism in Australia, doesn't it?

What I meant was, "Some Yanks here a while ago were saying that Aussies are overall far more racist than Americans."
Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eve MG:
...it left me wondering if those of African descent also had dark skin on their bottoms, as at the very least, that part would be covered while they were out in the sun all day.

Reminds me of a scene in Athol Fugard's "Master Harold".....and the Boys: "It ain't fair, is it?"

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment:...I am having a hard time
buying her thoughts on this.

What, you don't have 2 cents?

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GooglyEyes:
I know in one of my autopsy/body farm type books, the professor talks about how he tries to trick his anthropology students during an exam where they have to look at a variety of bones and identify them as Caucasoid, Mongoloid, or Negroid. He intentionally put a Negroid skeleton in the mix that had all the features of a Caucasoid skeleton (I have no idea beyond certain skull features what those would be). The writer described how everyone would get that part of the exam wrong and then he would explain how all the rules of anatomy aren't set in stone. Then all of the students are sworn to secrecy so the next years students get it wrong too.

GooglyEyes, that would be Bill Bass' book "Death's Acre." I think Dr. Craig's "Teasing Secrets from the Dead" may have also referenced it - if I remember, she may have been the woman in question. She started off as a medical illustrator, but it's been a while since I read her book.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages