snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Don't do that, then (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Don't do that, then
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hydrogen Peroxide: It has been my experience and my father's
experience that gargling straight hydrogen peroxide even for five minutes
will eat the lining of your mouth. I had read the benefits of hydrogen
peroxide long ago and made the big mistake of gargling the stuff and
swishing it around in my mouth. Not only does it eat the lining, it
leaves your mouth raw and very painful for the next few days. This is not
heresay on my part; I tried it many years ago and paid the price, as did
my father. We are talking 3% everyday, household hydrogen peroxide here.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: This is in reference to your article about chewing gum in the Old
Wives'Tales section of your site. Although chewing gum will not stay in
your system for 7 years, it can cause an intestinal blockage if too much
of it is swallowed at one time. You really should consult a pediatrician
in reference to this. I know this information from first hand experience.
My daughter was about 3 years old when she developed a stomache ailment
that went on for several days, until finally an x-ray was taken. There was
a blockage in her intestines that was attributed to the swallowing of
chewing gum. This can become a problem in small children. It may not stay
in your system for seven years but it can swtay for a while in large
enough quantities and cause medical issues.

Bowel obstructions, to my knowledge, are not caused by anything you eat. What happens is the thing you ate, such as gum, is caught and stopped by an already existing obstruction so it may appear to be causing the obstruction. It can also cause a previously partial obstruction to be completely obstructed (which would make symptoms worsen, again making it appear that the gum was the culprit) Obstructions are typically caused by other health problems such as cancer, infection, inflammation, or a genetic or physical defect. If an otherwise healthy 3-year old gets an obstruction, then most likely something else caused an obstruction and the gum was the first thing to get stuck.

You can read more here:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/digestive/overview/article/healthwise/uf4383

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread always cracks me up because whenever I read "don't do that" I try saying "Did I do that" in an Urkle voice.

TurbanMan

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Playing the Sousaphone causes your right hand to be extremely
stronger than your left because of the big spring valves, and causes your
shoulders to be uneven.

I played sousaphone for the marching band in high school. Let me tell you, there were other things I did in high school that made my right hand stronger than my left.....

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
quote:
Comment: Playing the Sousaphone causes your right hand to be extremely
stronger than your left because of the big spring valves, and causes your
shoulders to be uneven.

I played sousaphone for the marching band in high school. Let me tell you, there were other things I did in high school that made my right hand stronger than my left.....
Mmm hmmm are you trying to say you don't do that anymore? [Roll Eyes]

Spam "pass me the batteries" Amamnder

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What do you know about the story that Ford Pinto's blow up when
hit from behind.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: What do you know about the story that Ford Pinto's blow up when hit from behind.

Lots! Why do you ask?

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "kaboom" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: If you block the jet holes in a swimming pool the pressure will
become so emence that the pump will BURST!

lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: If you block the jet holes in a swimming pool the pressure will
become so emence that the pump will BURST!

Yeah that happened when I stuck my NFBSK in the hole to.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages