snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Effects of Agent Orange?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Effects of Agent Orange?
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 37 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/050425/481/rjv10104250324&e=2

[ 25. April 2005, 07:15 PM:   snopes ]

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It looks incredibly fake to me. I'm not sure why.

But then again, I've seen real pictures (that I've take and know to be real) that looked fake to my eye.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm with DW. It looks like the kid has stretch-marks from a morphing tool in Photoshop pulling the crest of his skull up.

And I have never seen any pictures done by DW, so this one MUST be fake! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The sad thing is that dioxin births (or rather 'Agent Orange Victims') in Vietnam 'do' look photoshopped. Bloody tragic [Frown]

http://www.aref.de/kalenderblatt/2002/pics/agent_orange_kind.jpg

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
However, the photo is credited to Richard Vogel and AP, and a quick search on google for "Richard Vogel" and Orange came up with a few hits...

CTV article with vogel image

another

A Google image search for Agent Orange comes up with some rather sobering images, I am inclined to vote real on this one.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually Jay Tea, the pic you have resembles more of a child afflicted with Apert's Syndrome. Not that I'm saying that the child probably didn't have some sort of mutation as a result of Agent Orange.

Agent Orange also affects those who served in Vietnam. The government is in the process of paying several thousand surviving Vets compensation for illnesses they developed later in life (diabetes, anemia among others) that were a result of the defoliant. Of course, much like the government, unless you were in the know, you wouldn't have known about it. How nice of them, eh?

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ok call me skeptical, but isn't some chemical attacks non-persistent after a certain amount of time?

The vietnam war of agent orange as they said was nearly 30 years ago and dating from the child's age he was born 27 years after the war.

Now I can understand if mom and dad still harbor agent orange in their bloodstream, but that was 27 years ago. If AO is supposed to kill viets at a point, they would have been dead long before the kid war born.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There's still a lot of the chemical in their soil, ground water, etc.

See here, here, or simply use google to find various amounts of research.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Western Fallout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Western Fallout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My father was exposed to rather liberal quantities of Agent Orange during Vietnam, and was suddenly stricken with diabetes (coming close to requiring insulin shots, having only been diabetic for six months or so). However, the man is sixty years old. Could an herbicide, or anything for that matter, stay dormant in one's body for nearly forty years before taking effect?

I was born relatively normal as far as physical appearance goes (some may beg to differ) though I developed a pretty severe case of cystic acne that plagued me throughout my teenage years and still returns on occasion, leaving my torso covered in scar tissue. At its peak, the cysts were actually very painful open wounds (I used to joke it was remniscent of leprosy) that would leak blood and other fluids onto my shirts, ruining them. I'm sure it's just my shitty luck, though the VA offered to "look into it."

There's a lot of red tape involved in receiving compensation for my dad's afflictions, or so he says. But I wonder if it's all just the effects of aging combined with "bad luck?" I'm sure the photographs are real, but could this really be caused by agent orange thirty-plus years ex post facto? Even if it was still present in the soil, could it perpetuate tragic birth defects like the ones displayed? Certainly hope not. Plus, I don't trust Yahoo! news much. It seems like they'll post absolutely anything without researching it, so long as it would make a good mini-story. But that's my opinion.

--------------------
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Posts: 348 | From: West Virginia, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I went to school with some kids that had dioxin related birth defects that were like their head bones didn't harden properly when they were babies, they had problems with bald patches, and there were a couple that also had musculoskeletal problems. So that photo could be real.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Western Fallout:
My father was exposed to rather liberal quantities of Agent Orange during Vietnam, and was suddenly stricken with diabetes (coming close to requiring insulin shots, having only been diabetic for six months or so). However, the man is sixty years old. Could an herbicide, or anything for that matter, stay dormant in one's body for nearly forty years before taking effect?

I was born relatively normal as far as physical appearance goes (some may beg to differ) though I developed a pretty severe case of cystic acne that plagued me throughout my teenage years and still returns on occasion, leaving my torso covered in scar tissue. At its peak, the cysts were actually very painful open wounds (I used to joke it was remniscent of leprosy) that would leak blood and other fluids onto my shirts, ruining them. I'm sure it's just my shitty luck, though the VA offered to "look into it."

There's a lot of red tape involved in receiving compensation for my dad's afflictions, or so he says. But I wonder if it's all just the effects of aging combined with "bad luck?" I'm sure the photographs are real, but could this really be caused by agent orange thirty-plus years ex post facto? Even if it was still present in the soil, could it perpetuate tragic birth defects like the ones displayed? Certainly hope not. Plus, I don't trust Yahoo! news much. It seems like they'll post absolutely anything without researching it, so long as it would make a good mini-story. But that's my opinion.

Yes, there is a lot of red tape. I spent the better part of a year providing family history that there was neither diabetes nor anemia on his side *insert sarcasm* and that was fun.

Another intersting thing. You didn't have to be sprayed with Agent Orange to suffer the affects of this toxic chemical. Bear in mind that the agent was sprayed from 1962 to 1971. The plane that took my dad to Vietnam and also returned him from Vietnam had carried the chemical. Basically, it was in the belly of the plane and sprayed out. He went over from '72-73. Back then, the reasoning was just clean out the plane with water and it's okay.

The short answer to your question, Western, is yes, it most certainly can stay dormant. Dad was diagnosed in 1997 with diabetes and for years he stayed on top of it, but he eventually had to get on insulin. His kidneys ceased functioning a few months ago and he's on dialysis now. He's 67 years old.

I'm willing to bet that if you spoke to anyone who served during the time Agent Orange was used and even a little bit after how they are, a good portion of them will tell you they suffer from this ailment or that.

Secondly, I believe the pictures are real.

Here is a story in the St Louis Post Dispatch from today's paper, a 5 part story about the scars of Vietnam.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I dont have a problem with the idea that Dioxin has/does cause people problems as I have seen the results. I do however think the picture in the OP is Photoshopped due to the swirling effect around the child's body- unless he is emitting vapors, something is wrong there.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The eye deformity *might* be real-- compare with this picture:

But that skull? It's not microcephalis, and it's not cloverleaf skull... it looks like someone trying to turn this:

into "reality."

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Does anyone have access to the AP photo archive to check the originality of the picture?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
The photo is indeed in the AccuNet/AP Multimedia Archive. The caption in the archive reads,

quote:
Xuan Minh, 3, looks out from his bed at the Tu Du Hospital in Ho Chi Min city on Friday March 25,2005, suffering from what is believed to be the effects of the jungle defoliant Agent Orange, used heavily in the region by the U.S. armed forces during the Vietnam War. Vietnam celebrates the end of hostilities on April 30, 2005, marking 30 years since war in Vietnam ended. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)
The archive catalogues the photo as follows,

quote:
Creation Date: 04/17/2005 02:21:40
Submit Date: 04/24/2005 23:26:33
Credit: Associated Press AP
Slug: ---
Object Name: VIETNAM 30TH ANNIVERSARY
Photographer: RICHARD VOGEL Staff
Caption Writer: RV MY**TOK**
Special Instructions: MARCH 25, 2005 PHOTO
Negative Number: ---
Image Number: 8036219 (004SR)
Trans reference Number: RJV101

By the way, here's snopes's new page on this image,

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/orange.asp

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Good fast work!

--------------------

valee
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valee         Edit/Delete post 
I agree with Bach Girl - Blowing the image up to 800% shows some mighty suspicious pixelation of the wall tiles around the head.
Posts: 88 | From: Metro DC | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
A somewhat unrelated story, with accompanying photo, put out by the Vietnam News Agency and (presumably) Reuters.

Here, Xuan Minh is claimed to be 5 years old.

The photo itself is credited to Reuters, although elsewhere on the net it's credited to Agence France Presse.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/politics/?catid=1&newsid=5509

About the publication, Thanh Nien,

http://www.thanhniennews.com/aboutus/

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

I think that is from artefacts from the JPG compression

--------------------

Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The deformaties the child has don't look fake to me. However, he almost looks cut and pasted into the crib. It just seems like someone traced boy, cut him out of one picture, and pasted him into the crib. I could be wrong; yet something doesn't look right about the picture.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Ok call me skeptical, but isn't some chemical attacks non-persistent after a certain amount of time?

Dioxin degrades in sunlight in 48 to 72 hours. Agent Orange contained somewhere between 3 and 13ppm of dioxin (a contaminate from the manufacturing process), sprayed in concentrations of 3 gallons/acre.

According to the flight crews who sprayed the stuff, they had an initiation ritual where new members of the unit drank a shot of Agent Orange. They don't have any record of significant birth defects.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages