snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Albino Moose

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Albino Moose
Steelmage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Are Albino moose rare, or does the color of the moose change with the season. The photos are here:

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page873.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrozenChosen
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't know, but I do have a story about Albino Deer. In the Marquette MI, there is a place called Presque Isle. It's positively full of deer. There were two albino deer there one year. They were not only shunned by the rest of the deer, they shunned each other. (I believe they both died from the cold because they had no other deer to snuggle up to). (Not a FOAF story - it happened while i lived there - I saw the deer alive, and I was very sad to hear they had died, as well as the reason).
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd just like to say that I fully appreciate the use of the correct plural form of "moose."

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I do not believe the color of moose change with the season. Most animals that change with the seasons tend to be small (rabbit, fox, etc.).

From Idaho Fish & Game News Release:

quote:
Q. I heard about the albino moose in southeast Idaho. How often does anyone see one of these?

A. In that particular population of moose, the occurrence of pure albino moose is just one animal in 100,000. Considering that Idaho does not have 100,000 moose at any one time, it is not a common sight.

So did anyone else look at the picture and think White Chocolate Moose (mousse)?

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Although "Coast to Coast AM With George Noory" is human scum, and is like some sort of acid eating into human rationality.... I think these are real photos of two real albino moose. Is that a mother and her large calf?

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Moose do not change color with the season. Had plenty in my yard during winter when I lived in Anchorage. None were white.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Are those spots whose pigment didn't change (or they were just that way naturally) or is the moose dirty? O_o

That's something to consider...

Usually something that is albino is all white, no?

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know what affects it, but I've seen "albinos" that are merely light brown or cream colored, as well as some with spots like the moose above have. Maybe it's not complete albinism?

Edit: Here's some pics of albino animals, including the kinds I'm talking about: http://animalpicturesarchive.com/list.php?qry=albino

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gothixgirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothixgirl   E-mail gothixgirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
is albinism more prevalent in certain types of animals? I've heard of lots of albino snakes, but rarely larger animals such as the moose in question.

oh and if anyone has seen the miniseries "gormenghast" they actually managed to get the only albino raven, well i thought it was cool but i tend to be dorkily interested in such things...

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laser Potato
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laser Potato     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I see deer with that coloring sometimes-they're piebald, not albino. Piebald animals are partially or totally white, but still have pigmentation, whereas albinos have no pigmentation.

Piebaldness in various animals:
http://tinyurl.com/69ohv
http://tinyurl.com/6a2ra
http://tinyurl.com/695ob
http://tinyurl.com/4rdpz
http://tinyurl.com/4ehos

--------------------
I want a lawyer! I want a doctor! I want a cheese sandwich!

Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:
I think these are real photos of two real albino moose. Is that a mother and her large calf?

Not necessarily albino. There are strains of white elks in Sweden that are quite normal except for the coloration.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alice
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice   E-mail Alice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Funny this should come up, I just got this in the mail the other day.
 -
I think it looks like a black bear and a polar bear cub? Here is the text that came with it:

"THiS PICTURE Was TAKEN NEAR GORDON, WI

Not just any mother bear and her cub, but a black bear with a white cub.
I don't know how rare it is for a black bear to have a white cub but at least we can say we've seen it no matter how rare it is!

Since there seems to be no sign of a pink nose or eyes, I would say that it is not an albino."

Posts: 77 | From: London Jr., Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When animals produce no pigments (and are essentially white or nearly all white) yet have black or dark eyes and pigmented skin... they are called leucistic.

I think those moose and the bear cub might be displaying leucism, not albinism.

--------------------

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alice
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Alice   E-mail Alice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thank you Barns! I was pretty sure it wasn't a polar bear. I imagine they don't last too long in the wild, standing out like a sore thumb.

Ok, I'm just going to edit my self a li'l bear chow here if you dont mind...
*sneaks away quietly*

Posts: 77 | From: London Jr., Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

quote:
Originally posted by Alice:

I imagine they don't last too long in the wild, standing out like a sore thumb.

That makes some sense, but I wouldn't jump to that prediction. You are suggesting that the white bear cub would be targeted for predation because of its outstanding and highly-visible color. Bear cubs have few natural predators (other bears, wolves, cougars, eagles, etc.), and they are viciously defended by their mothers. Adult bears really have no natural predators - they are at the top of the food chain.

This white bear cub could very well have grown to maturity and lived out its life in Manitoba, this is in spite of its atypical color. The story of this particular animal is tragic, as its mother was killed by a car.

There are areas of coastal British Columbia where the black bear populations frequently display white or cream coats. This is almost certainly leucism, not albinism. There is a nearly-white population on Gribble Island, BC. A "bluish"-colored black bear population exists near Yakutat Bay, Alaska.

We have now seen numerous photos of white moose (the "Coast to Coast" OP link is dead) in North America and Europe. These show adults, and adults (cows) with calves. This tells us that in some cases, white moose escape predation and live to produce white offspring. We saw a link about a white moose cow with normal-colored calf in Idaho. Idaho has bears (black & grizzly), which are primary predators of moose calves. Wolves are moose predators too, but the Idaho wolves were extirpated by humans long ago.

Floater, there are numerous white moose in Sweden. Do you have any wolves in Sweden?

I think that none of the described and photographed white moose are true albinos. They seem to be leucistic.

--------------------

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barns & No Bull:

Floater, there are numerous white moose in Sweden. Do you have any wolves in Sweden?

Yes, we have, but in my opinion too few (I googled a bit and saw the figure less than 100). Farmers and reindeer herders are of a different opinion, though. Not too long ago there was a male wolf that apparently had wandered in from Russia via Finland and, naturally, it was shot immediately. A pity, it would have been good with some fresh blood (or genes).

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages