snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Shark Catch in Yarmouth Nova Scotia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shark Catch in Yarmouth Nova Scotia
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
This Mako was hooked in the mouth, only fought slightly for 15
minutes, came up along side of the boat to have a look, long enough
for one of the crew to put a rope around it tail!!! That's when the
s**t hit the fan!!

The shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through
the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS. The boat was taking on
water, the Shark would jump completely out of the water at times. This
went on for an hour before the Shark actually drowned. He weighed in
at 1035 LBS.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, the photos look real enough to me, but I'm just a little confused by the story - how does a shark drown? Did it drown in its own blood? If so, why didn't they say that? Maybe I'm just being dense again, I dunno. It's late and I'm tired, so I'm going to stop rambling now.

*~*NansJns*~*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sharks need to be moving forward in order to get water over their gills. Their gills do not move like other fish's gills. So if they can't go forward they, in effect, can't breath and drown.

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I guess it got exausted from draging the boat after a while and couldn't keep going.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well the story and pictures has hit a lot of surfing, fishing, and scuba websites.

According to this one here the shark was caught by Bernard Tedford, Jamie Doucette, Terry Bullerwell and Donovan Cunningham during something called the Yarmouth Nova Scotia Shark Scramble in August 2004.

However I can't find anything on any actual news site, including the CBC which is rather odd.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zero
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero   E-mail Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The shark scramble occurs every year. CBC doesn't often cover it in any detail, so it's not surprising you wouldn't find any information on their site.
I remember hearing about a large shark on the radio, but I didn't pay too much attention.

I'm not a fan of the shark scrambles. I see no point in going around and killing all of those animals just to see who caught the largest one.

That fog reminds me of a nice summer day...

Posts: 54 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Poor shark. [Frown]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moruti

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
What did they do with the meat? Mako is a delicious fish.

mo "tastes like chicken" ruti

Mallow

Like Zero, this is my area of the world, and I don't recall hearing this shark story from last year's scramble. The mens' names are right for the Yarmouth area, however, and maybe this feat didn't make the news here because it seems unusually cruel - at least, to me.
Cabus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cabus   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cabus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kjbrasda:
Sharks need to be moving forward in order to get water over their gills. Their gills do not move like other fish's gills. So if they can't go forward they, in effect, can't breath and drown.

This has been disputed many times in the scientifical community. It's mostly accepted now that sharks actually have a second ventilation system based on respiratory pumping of water, which they use at rest.

--------------------
You can't spell failure without U R A.

Posts: 595 | From: Belo Horizonte, Brazil | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friend of a Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
Poor shark. [Frown]

[dunce]
Zero
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero   E-mail Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A site about how this became a a story of a great white of BC linky

And the DFO website with info about the shark derby and pictures of the mako linky

and this from http://www.newenglandsharks.com/shortfin.htm :

"Excerpt from an e- mail from one of the crew.

Hi. It took about 45 minutes to get the shark to the stern. In hindsight it
was too fast - as we were using 200 lb. test (braided line). It was
pandemonium getting the ropes on it but it didn't tow the boat. We got two small head straps on it first, and tied them off. Seconds after we got a larger rope around her midsection, she broke both head ropes and the leader all at the same time. "

Posts: 54 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I agree with Syllavus - poor shark.

And did any UK snopesters think this was referring ot Great Yarmouth? The Nova Scotia bit didn't come up on the title I saw!

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Arrhh, take that shark out of Yarmouth. Ye don't know where it's been.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
YOMANK Brad!!

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Who says January 24th can't be happy?

Thanks, Ghost!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Brad, YOMANK! I have Mocha all over my desk, but it was worth it. [lol]

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I am so happy to see that a number of snopesters are knowledgeable about sharks. I'm envious of those who have been in the water with these awesome fish. I have terrible luck in my scores of reef dives for seeing sharks. I want to see them so much it infuriates me. Oh, I've seen plenty of nurse (none large) and horn sharks just laying on the bottom like they are dead. I've been on dives where others have seen swimming sharks in my general vicinity and I learn of this after the dive on the boat. I've been struck by this bad luck on numerous dives in Florida, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Grand Cayman. Boo hoo!

I'm very impressed with the size and beauty of the mako shark in the OP article. But I was very skeptical of one element of the story that accompanied it. We were told that a rope was put around the shark's tail and that it then began to tow the boat. That ain't makin any sense. Sharks use their tails for propulsion. If you attach a rope to the tail (presumably located at the base where the tail joins the body - called the caudal peduncle), the shark loses its ability to propel itself forward when the rope becomes taught. Or at least, it loses much of its ability to convert side-to-side movements of its tail into forward propulsion. Are you following me?

I was not skeptical of the general story itself, only of this specific part. Who wrote that bit about the shark towing the boat?

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Poor shark...but...I would LOVE to catch one. What a rush!

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kjbrasda
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjbrasda   Author's Homepage   E-mail kjbrasda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cabus:
quote:
Originally posted by kjbrasda:

This has been disputed many times in the scientifical community. It's mostly accepted now that sharks actually have a second ventilation system based on respiratory pumping of water, which they use at rest.
Wow, I didn't know that (obviously [Razz] ) I'm gonna have to look into that. ^_^ thanks [Smile]

--------------------
"Long ago, when we all lived in the forest..."
Who are you? Who? Who?

Posts: 1587 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages