snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » AIDS ribbons stapled to condoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS ribbons stapled to condoms?
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

Sorry it's so large, I decided not to re-scale it since it shows more detail in this size. I personally believe that the previously stapled ribbons, like the squares of paper, are glued on, but there have been dissenting opinions on other sites where I've seen this posted.

What do you think?

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rinoz
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The staple would break the condom, rendering it useless. So much for awareness.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
We know that rinoz. The question is twofold: Do the people doing this promotion know that (which I assume they did, since the promote AIDS awareness), and Did they do it anyway (or did the shop they hired to make the favors do it)?

I tend to agree with Ovalescent on this one -- I think only the ribbon is stapled.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If you look at the last one on the last row you can see the fold of the staple. Meaning it's just the ribbon. You can also see where it's pulling the ribbon in a bit. You wouldn't be able to see the fold if it were all the way through the package. So yea, just the ribbon is stapled together.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If you look at the one on the bottom right you can see some bits that look like glue near the staple making it slightly darker and also what looks to be a blob of glue just to the left of the staple.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AblazeSheLiveth
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
What movie was it where they were the school nurse was handing out condoms after stapling them to the safe sex pamphlets? This picture reminds me of that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AblazeSheLiveth:
What movie was it where they were the school nurse was handing out condoms after stapling them to the safe sex pamphlets? This picture reminds me of that.

I think it was "High School High" which I immediately thought of, too.

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Luckia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luckia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I once recieved a condom stapled to a safe sex brochure. They were being handed out to University students by the students union.

--------------------
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Posts: 106 | From: Calgary | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg of Winter:
quote:
Originally posted by AblazeSheLiveth:

I think it was "High School High" which I immediately thought of, too.
Ditto!

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages