snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » A foot of a fetus showing through tummy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A foot of a fetus showing through tummy
Hanan Cohen
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Shalom,

The following image is making the rounds in Israel.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Hanan Cohen

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it is she has the thinnest uterus on earth! (and the strongest fetus)

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thin uterus, no abdominal muscles and no belly fat.

It's cute, though. My bet is that it's a picture from a greeting card.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

Well, it's beyond my scope of either experience or expertise (I only had formless lumps protrude or run across my belly when I was preggers), however, one friend's mother swears that when she was pregnant with my friend, you could see the baby's fingers move across her.

Yes yes, "friend of a friend" story, I can't find any articles online at the moment. At least none directly pertaining to this phenomenon.

Moving into the ‘third trimester,’ or towards the end of the pregnancy, the uterus takes on a more oval shape and the walls are now very thin to better accommodate the growing fetus, placenta, and increase in amniotic fluid.

I remember thinking it didn't feel like there was much flesh between me and my babies, and I only saw lumps. I can imagine women who have thinner uterine walls and who were in better shape than I was, might see more details. And I don't think it's too much of a stretch of the imagination to have less flesh than I did at 203 pounds. [Big Grin]

So, no, I can't actually confirm the picture, nor debunk it. I can only guess.

ranran "I got next to zip" yousei

ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A good friend was on duty at the maternity ward one day when a woman was given her 4th? 5th? c-section. The patient refused at the last minute before anesthesia to follow through on a tubal ligation she had previously agreed to. The doctor was horrified to find the uterine wall so thin he could see the baby's face through it.

She was counseled to never have another child or she would most probably die and take the baby with her.

So it's possible to have a reallllly thin uterine wall.

That said, such a photo would also mean there was litle to no abdominal muscle or fat.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I was pregnant with my twins, the muscles seperated midline so there was nothing but skin between the uterus around my navel area. I also was quite thin. I never saw a foot that clearly but it was usually obvious to see whether I was being prodded by an elbow, knee or foot.

I did eventually have to have surgery to repair the hernia, I got fom the tear.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nell

The photo seems to be a studio shot.

And there's something weird with the foot. I've never had kids but to me, the foot seems to be a little long. And I can't tell if it's the left or the right foot. It seems to be the right foot (look at the toes), but then, the fetus position would be kind of awkward.

I think it's fake. I believe Ultragotha's and Hamilton's stories, but they seem to be very different cases. I don't think a pregnant woman with an hernia would be posing in a studio for a photograph.

Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Does anyone else think that the photo is kind of disgusting? Also, it looks like a left foot to me - the big toe is on the right of the picture.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
G.
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G.   E-mail G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My guess, bs. Think of a newborn's toes. There's no way, IMO, that they would be strong enough to push to show that much definition. I mean, the toes create peaks high enough to show SHADOWS?? The toes would just bend backwards, as they are essentially cartilage.

My firstborn had a real mean foot. Used to poke wifey real bad. She was (and is) very petite and we could see the heel sweep across her belly. Spooky-cool. Nary a toe was seen. He did it so hard that he was born with a deformed foot. Due to the fact that babies bones are mostly cartilage, he healed nicely.

Posts: 104 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dahdoll
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dahdoll   Author's Homepage   E-mail dahdoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Weeeellll, with my first, he would stick his foot out and it would almost look that defined sans toes. I was very thin with no abdominal fat whatsoever. I had just a tad more ab fat with my second and it didn't happen with her. I do think it's fake though. I don't believe that the toes would be able to be seen with such definition.

--------------------
"A bad acid trip does not a religion make" A friend commenting on another friend's religious charisma after a bad trip

Posts: 232 | From: NW Florida Home of the Airbrushed T-Shirts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brian O'blivion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian O'blivion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
>>>the foot seems to be a little long.

That's what I thought, too. Definitely digitigrade. Maybe it's a werewolf baby...awwwwwwww.

Posts: 307 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I vote that the photo is fake. But can add that with my first born that we could feel her spine when she was laying a certain way for the last few months of my pregnacy.

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think it is a fake. The balls of newborns' feet are not that pronounced, even less so on premie babies.
Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I believe it's fake, too, based on the size of the foot. It seemed to me to be too big, even for a full term baby. I haven't had that much experience with babies, though, so correct me if I'm wrong. And what are the odds that the camera would capture that perfect an image in a studio setting?

Does anyone know who took the picture, or what he or she has to say about it?

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Two words: LOOKS FAKED
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd say fake. My nine month old doesn't have balls on her feet or a visible arch. An infant's foot doesn't have that sort of definition. There were times I could see what could have been a foot, but it was more a foot sized lump pushed out, and always too fleeting for a photograph, unless I continually snapped photos when she was most active.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tizzie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
She's really having quads and they're practcing for their Cirque du Soleil routine once they're born

I'll get it [fish]

Nope I'd say fake. I was thin before I had both of my kids and due to SEVERE morning sickness even lost weight during my pregnancies and weighed less after delivery than before pregnancy and I never saw anything that definied. Plus it looks like to much of a studio shot to be real.

Tizzie

--------------------
I have a very firm grasp on reality! I can reach out and strangle it any time!

Posts: 537 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Notochord

I can't be too sure but the pic looks familiar...

I think it was part of an ad campaign that ran in either Belgium or France, or both.

But don't quote me on it. That's just the first thing I thought when I saw the image.

Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Notochord:
I can't be too sure but the pic looks familiar...

I think it was part of an ad campaign that ran in either Belgium or France, or both.

But don't quote me on it. That's just the first thing I thought when I saw the image.

Ohhhh! ever so slight bell ringing here as well now you have said that..possibly german?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post 
I think that that photo is fake. However, one of my college friends posed nude for an art class when she was very pregnant and she said that her baby's foot was clearly visible to the students.
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alexkidd86

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post 
this photo is a fake. this picture was probably photoshopped, it looks kind of easy to make a babie's footprint appear on a pregnant woman's stomach.
I heard that babies are born head first, but in the picture it looks as if he will be born legs first. Heres a picture that shows the position that babies are in when they are in the womans stomach.

-

theres some more pictures that show how the baby looks in the stomach if you search for the images.

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by alexkidd86:
I heard that babies are born head first, but in the picture it looks as if he will be born legs first. Heres a picture that shows the position that babies are in when they are in the womans stomach.

Not always. In a breech birth, the baby is turned "upright" and will be born feet first if no medical intervention is given.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Also, babies can change position even during the last few weeks before birth.

I think everyone pretty much agrees that it is a fake, a sweet photo, but still not real.

Rainmom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus, extra crispy:
quote:
Originally posted by alexkidd86:

Not always. In a breech birth, the baby is turned "upright" and will be born feet first if no medical intervention is given.
As I understood it, babies hang out heads-up for most of the timethey are in the womb, and then before birth/during birth? they turn head-down. Unless, as Cevrus said, it's a breech.

Aimee "At least, that's what I think I know" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hey You
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hey You     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not an expert, but a baby is first turned "upright" and later in the pregnancy turns "head down" (except in some cases when it remains "upright").

(This is my first post. I would never have guessed that it was going to be about pregnancy!)

Posts: 20 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My little girl did summersaults up until about month seven. It's not until it gets cramped in there that they decide to stay in one position, and towards the end, most, but not all babies will end up head down. The whole "head down" thing really refers to the baby's head lowering down into the woman's pelvis. The baby can be upside down at any point in pregnancy once it learns how to move around in there.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

When there is a lot of room,earlier in a pregnancy, babies can really move around. I have seen births with a true knot in the cord!
My daughter used to get hiccups inside and flip flop all over the place. During the last few weeks, they get head down and nestle into the pelvis and hopefully stay there.
THEN, you have to worry about delievering a baby that is face up! Much more difficult than face down.
Rain"been there, done that"mom

Martha Washington

My brother was born feet first so it does happen. It's a touching picture. With my first one she always stuck her elbow out and I could feel it.
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sorry, but does that look like a raccoon's or rodent's foot to anyone else??

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
Sorry, but does that look like a raccoon's or rodent's foot to anyone else??

What are you saying here? Not...?? My God, somebody fetch JonErikBeckjord this minute!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages