snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Damaged Chinese airplane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Damaged Chinese airplane
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hard to figure out where to post this, but since there are photos involved...

This is apparently making the rounds. The ealiest appearance I can find id February, 2003 on usenet. Posters there said it was at least a couple of years old. Here is the link to the usenet post. You need to get to response #45 before you get away from political diatribes and into the photo. China Air - Unbelievable Flying Condition This is as far as I could trace it--anyohne else wanna have a go? Read the usenet thread for a start at identifying the airline.
quote:
This is an excellent example of why any prudent traveler [to the Far East] should generally stick with North American carriers, Western European carriers and a few other carriers like Quantas, Air New Zealand, and Singapore.

A pilot for a Chinese carrier requested permission and landed at FRA (Frankfurt, Germany) for an unscheduled refueling stop. The reason became soon apparent to the ground crew: The Number 3 engine had been shut down because of excessive vibration, and because it didn't look so good. It had apparently been no problem for the tough guys back in China: they took some sturdy straps and wrapped them around several of the fan blades and the structures behind, thus stopping any unwanted windmilling (engine
spinning by itself due to airflow passing thru the blades during flight) and associated uncomfortable vibration caused by the suboptimal fan.

Note that the straps are seatbelts....how resourceful! [note, usenet posters said no, they are steel banding strap]

After making the "repairs", off they went into the wild blue yonder with another revenue-making flight on only three engines! With the increased
fuel consumption, they got a bit low on fuel, and just set it down at the closest airport for a quick refill. That's when the problems started: The Germans, who are kind of picky about this stuff, inspected the malfunctioning engine and immediately grounded the aircraft.

(Besides the seatbelts, notice the appalling condition of the fan blades.)

The airline operator had to send a chunk of money to get the first engine replaced (took about 10 days) The repair contractor decided to do some
impromptu inspection work on the other engines, none of which looked all that great either.

The result: a total of 3 engines were eventually changed on this plane before it was permitted to fly again.

-
 -
 -

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I watched the show on Flight 191 on the History Channel last night and they said that engines are supposed to drop off in case of excessive vibration because the vibration can do more damage than a missing engine.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NovaSS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I vote fake. Those are not seat belts, I would bet on just simple retaining straps to prevent the turbine from spining while the engine is removed. This is to prevent further damage to the engine and maintenance personel. Look at the close ups. Its simple foreign object damge and some one made up a story to go along with it.
Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Longhaired Himalayan Cat
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
First of all, whoever wrote that doesn't know much about airlines in Asia. China Air is not a Chinese airline, it's a tightly regulated and rather expensive Taiwanese operation - a completely and utterly different animal from the domestic airlines in China. I assume the person meant to say Air China, but I don't know, maybe the whole thing is made up.

That being said, I know a lot of people that fly Air China, and their flights definitely do get a bit hairy on occasion. A lot of small things are off, like the service and the basics inside the plane (trays that won't stay upright, torn fabric in a seat, window blinds that won't shut or open - that kind of thing) - which doesn't instill one with great confidence in the airline.

The planes do often make strange sounds and experience other disturbing in-flight phenomena. Whether a plane with the damage shown above could or would fly in China - I just don't know. I have no idea how bad that is, how it would affect the performance, what the other engines are like, etc. etc.

But sadly, safety standards are not rigidly enforced in China, although there has been a vast improvement in recent years.

Still, wouldn't someone that had the inside scoop on this at least get the name of the airline right? The mail is worded like the person knows soemthing about the airline industry, yet he gets not only that wrong but also the name of Qantas, a very large airline and one he recommends.

It has no "u" because it's an acronym, Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service.

--- G.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
All we have here is pictures of a damaged engine after it has been removed from the airplane. Nothing to prove it was ever put back on a airplane as is.

Note: some airplane have a extra hard point under the wing for transporting a engine.

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lulu the Black Mage

Also, there is a Blue and White Fuselage in the first pic; it might be an engine taken off an Aeroflot (A notoriously bad Russian Airline) plane, or it could be another Airline that is using old Aeroflot Planes (also Russian Carriers or Russian/Foreign Partnerships, or even Chinese), mainly in the former Soviet Republics, Middle East, or Africa.
Lulu the Black Mage

Let me add this info, gleaned from airliners.net.

Noticed the blue and white fuselage, and I did say it might also be a Chinese Airline flying former Aeroflot Planes. Can't find one right now, but Russia did export some of their models to China.

Someone mentioned Air China? Hmmm....Blue and White Paint scheme....almost looks similar....

There is a China Airlines, but i'm doubtful it's the airline in the photo. Neither the old or new schemes matches the one in the first pic....especally the beautiful Orchid on the tail.

Morrison's Longhaired Himalayan Cat

Aeroflot are pretty big in China, I considered flying with them to Europe once because they are about half price compared to Lufthansa, only problem is you have to go to Russia first. Oh, and you might also burst into flames and fall out of the sky, which is always a minus.

--- G.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages