snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » "Live coffin cam" on seemerot.com

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Live coffin cam" on seemerot.com
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 86 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Probably NSFBSK.

www.seemerot.com Apparently they have a 'live' webcam inside the coffin of a female cadaver. the disclaimer on their site doesn't admit to it being a fake (like bangbus etc) but this strikes me as decididly dubious. Don't have time to do much digging at the moment, but I have found out they havm't disabled directory browsing, so you can look at the (slighty odd) selection of various jpgs in their "images folder", including a gif of a dog saying woof (?)

http://www.seemerot.com/images/

But more importantly, this picture

http://www.seemerot.com/images/headcam1.gif

Which is an animated gif simulating the 'going in and out of focus' look of a webcam updating. Which says "fake" to me.

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chili_kitten
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chili_kitten   Author's Homepage   E-mail chili_kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Real or not its in terribly poor taste

--------------------
Doughnuts are my favourite dairy product

Posts: 185 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
budgyrl
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 81 posted            Edit/Delete post 
She doesn't look dead. She looks like she has too much color in her face. That seems like it would be so expensive, yet the site is free to look at. It's sketchy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Someone familiar with wireless web applications can probably help here, but it seems to me that this would be a logistics nightmare. First, you need to find a family, a funeral home and a cemetery willing to go along with this. You'll need to build a special coffin to house the camera, lights, transmitting equipment AND the means to power them continuously (for years, did they say?). The power requirements alone would be nearly unreachable.

You must have a transmitter capable of transmitting not only from underground, but to a repeater or web machine somewhere reasonably close by, if it's dedicated, not in Seattle. I suppose it'd be possible to do via cellular, but probably not that fast of an update rate, and certainly not for this long. And so, on, and so on...

The fact that it's a single animated .gif puts this one in the definitely fake file for me.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to the main page the coffin was lowered on April 15th 2003. She's in remarkably good shape for someone who's been dead and in the ground for nearly a year.
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My bet is that someone came up with this idea, even got some dead person's family to go along with it, plugged the thing in, got one image, put it in the ground, and it didnt work. As BlueStar noted, she's been in the ground for a year and doesnt look decomposed at all. It's not we can verify whther this a live web cam right? After all the body wont move right?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
My bet is that someone came up with this idea, even got some dead person's family to go along with it...

Including the name "See Me Rot" [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

"Yes, it's a fine tribute to our loved one who has passed away."

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hey!! the idea is bad enough to work!!! Why are Shock jocks and Jerry Springer popular? Why does traffic slow down near a car wreck? Some ideas are just bad enough to catch people's attention

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Unless they buried her in a block of ice on the antarctic, it's a fake. No one looks that good even a couple of weeks after death, let alone a year after burial.

--- G.

WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think it's pretty clear, whether or not the person is actually dead, that there is no live video feed. From anywhere. The picture you see is an animated .gif file, which looks like it just shifts back and forth between two existing pics to give the impression that the webcam is "updating". There is nothing in the source code for the page that suggests any kind of webcam applet or anything else. The source is simply putting a .gif in there at that spot.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The website also resolves to davidsboys.com.

The whois information for seemerot.com supplies an address of 7985 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood CA 90046. The davidsboys.com whois information adds suite #15, an address I only found online here: http://www.piss-boy.com/usc18.html.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Definitely fake--at least the site's description of it, anyway. Aside from it being nothing more than an animated GIF, setting up a camera to take a picture of a corpse every ten seconds in this manner would be pointless.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tallon Roe, Supersized Beastie

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I agree with Wonko- it would be way too much of a hassle, and I doubt any family would consent to having their dearly departed's corpse rotting on an internet video.

-T.

Danger Echidna
Petty Experimentalist

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Danger Echidna   Author's Homepage   E-mail Danger Echidna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aside from the obvious falseness of this web site that has already been pointed out, I think if they had wanted to actually go along with an actual live video feed, they would have used a fake corpse. I'm sure there would be way too much red tape involved in broadcasting an actual stiff's decay. And as anybody who has seen Jorg Buttgereit's DER TODESKING knows, it is very possible to make a decent looking rotting corpse out of plastic, latex, and food products.

For those who haven't seen Der Todesking, it is sort of a "suicide anthology" story, with each suicide taking place on a different day of the week. Interspersed between these tales is time-lapse photography of a rotting corpse. It looks truly amazing, and I was almost sure it was the real deal when I first saw it, but it turns out that the body was a relatively cheaply-made fake, and composed mostly of food. The biologically correct "meat and bones dummy" was covered with honey, and locked in the director's toolshed for a month with a camera taking a picture of it every hour. The documentary "Corpse F***ing Art" (a "making of" of Buttgereit's work) shows how they accomplished this extraordinary special effect. It's gruesome, but very interesting!

Posts: 63 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diamondgirl1122

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post 
hmm I don't believe it and if it was true thats just flat -out sick ! [Roll Eyes]

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages