snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Spider! (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spider!
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wow, deja vu, this thread was posted on my board too. I have to agree, the responses are hilarious. I also agree with the person who said the first pic is the worst, because at that point you don't know what the heck's under there yet.
Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 105 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Davros in my web of evil:
that is just a Huntsman Spider you get them all the time here they dont hurt you well not much they are one of the safer spiders here

quote:
Habitat:

Huntsman spiders occur Australia-wide and are usually found on tree trunks, under bark, beneath stones or on the walls of houses. Some species are extremely compressed and live between the hairline cracks of sandstone and granite outcrops.

Diet:

The huntsman eats a variety of insects, arthropods, small lizards and frogs. The prey is not captured in a web but actively stalked and run-down with stealth and speed. The fangs are large and powerful and hold the food item until it is immobilised by the spider's venom. Although bites can be painful to humans and occasionally cause mild nausea and headaches, the symptoms are usually only localized pain and swelling.

huntsman can scare the living NFBSK out of you i had one run across my windscreen while driving (on the inside )

dav( now this is a mean spider )ros

Thank You! I thouhgt, that can't be real, show me what species it is, and I'll belive. I don't know how you Aussies do it! First funnel webs , now these? One's deadly, one's not, but I think I'd have an NFBSKing heart attack if I saw either one in real life! [Eek!]

House spiders, I understand, but must they be as big as the house?
[Frown]

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 506 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I actually like spiders. Yeah, sure, I may be crazy, but I honestly don't know how you could kill something like that. Could you kill a cat? Could you kill a dog? I couldn't, and spiders are just like cats and dogs.

Hell, I can't even kill ants most of the time, much less moths that fly into my house.

Tree "and spider, and ant, and moth" Hugger

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How do you kill something that big? Seriously. When I lived in California I had an adolescent tarantula on my deck. It was a little smaller than my hand, but still a sizeable spider. I got the broom and nudged it off the deck. You can't stomp something that big.

tag live long and prosper.....somewhere else! urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 301 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NansJns:
Admittedly, the pictures didn't freak me out too badly, but if I were to find something like that actually on my wall, I'd run out of the house screaming the next second. I did find the responses funny, though. And I agree with them. And I'd like to add:

KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKIILLLLIIIITTT!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

For the love of Mike, tell me this thing isn't still alive somewhere out there!

quote:
DUDE BUY A GUN CAUSE RAID AIN'T DOING SHIT TO THAT SASQUATCH OF A SPIDER.
(One of my favorite answers to that, BTW). A .22 should do the job nicely, with minimal damage to the wall. If not, a .38; the freaking wall can be replastered!!

Screw that! Get my shotgun! I only regret not owning anything bigger.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 301 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What are all you people doing with all these damn guns? Now THAT's scary!

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From Davros' first posted link:

quote:
Reproduction:

Courtship in huntsman spiders is surprisingly romantic when compared to other spiders. The male is rarely attacked by the female and the process may last many hours. After mating, the female places her egg sack under bark or a rock and keeps guard of it until hatching. At the appropriate time, the mother spider opens the egg sack to help her spiderlings out and she may stay with her spiderlings for several weeks.

Look, romantic and a good mama too.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't care if it is romantic and a good mother, I don't want it in my house! All desire to ever visit Australia has died in me, now. Well, I never was that interested, anyway (no offense to the Australian members of this board!).

quote:

We're shooting spiders, weren't you listening??
Seriosuly, though:
One, this isn't a board for you to vent your personal predjudices, and two, if you know how to use a gun properly, it's neither scary nor very dangerous. My parents collect guns, and I've known how to use one since my early teens. I've never shot anything but a paper target. Still, though, I'd be afraid to go anywhere near a spider like that, and spiders don't freak me out all that badly. Not the little ones, anyway; I squish and flush them with minimal trouble. A spider that size, on the other hand. . .I really think I might shoot it. I don't know for sure; I pray I never have to find out!

If God didn't want us to be afraid of spiders, He wouln't have made them look that way!

*~*Nans"The only good spider is Tobey Maguire"Jns*~*

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Il-Mari
We Three Blings

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Il-Mari         Edit/Delete post 
Hmm, since everyone is talking about shooting the thing, I want to know this: Would it be possible to get one of those things stuffed and mounted on a wooden base or something? If nothing else, I think it'd make one hell of an interesting conversation piece.

- Il-Mari

--------------------
When you mix faith with science, you serve neither and weaken both.

- Richard P. Sloan and Larry VandeCreek

Posts: 1094 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Catsnake

Icon 606 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Treehugger wrote:
quote:
spiders are just like cats and dogs
Really? I'd hate to meet the sort of cat that has eight legs and can spin webs.
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Il-Mari:
Hmm, since everyone is talking about shooting the thing, I want to know this: Would it be possible to get one of those things stuffed and mounted on a wooden base or something? If nothing else, I think it'd make one hell of an interesting conversation piece.

- Il-Mari

You can get a Redback (same as the black widow) spider in Perspex (as a gear knob) at just about any auto shop here .
I have also seen Funnelweb’s in Perspex
So you could have a Huntsman in plastic but you would be looking at something about a foot across or so

Dav(wraped in plastic)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 600 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:

Yes. I'm only thankful you weren't around with your big gun when I very peacefully eased the tarantula off the porch. Shooting spiders? Not that I think you're overreacting or anything. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
Seriosuly, though:
One, this isn't a board for you to vent your personal predjudices

Are you sure? Is there a rule about it? So, this is a board where you may vent YOUR personal prejudices, but I may not vent mine? I'll have to rein all my personal prejudices in, then. I didn't know.
quote:
and two, if you know how to use a gun properly, it's neither scary nor very dangerous.
I'm not afraid of the guns as much as the people that think they need guns. What do they need the guns for, is what I want to know. Oh, to shoot spiders. I forgot.
quote:
My parents collect guns
Oh, then that makes it alright. Why didn't you say so?
quote:
and I've known how to use one since my early teens. I've never shot anything but a paper target.
Well, we all know how threatening paper targets can be. Thank god you had the gun!
quote:
Still, though, I'd be afraid to go anywhere near a spider like that, and spiders don't freak me out all that badly. Not the little ones, anyway; I squish and flush them with minimal trouble. A spider that size, on the other hand. . .I really think I might shoot it. I don't know for sure; I pray I never have to find out!
You hear that? *stopping to listen quietly* That's the spiders praying, too.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

piper

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
NFBSK the spiders. NFBSK them all. they're all disgusting (oh hell, there isn't a word to describe how much i hate them), and while i would never shoot one for fear of the disgusting mess it would make, if i ever found a large spider in my house, i would probably soil myself and never be able to live in that house again. i am not kidding. please forgive me if you think i'm overreacting, you can hate me and my opinion all you like, but as someone with severe arachnophobia*, i can easily say that (1) they are NOT like dogs or cats (NOT! NOT!), and (2) -

quote:

that is easily the most wrong thing i have ever heard in my life. the only conversation i could make after seeing something like that is "dasdf;iu asdf;iuabwer xjfniosuerhso ncweoiuvnsdfju sorry i made a mess on your carpet BYE! *zoom!*" even if you're joking, that's just wrong.

WRONG! [Wink]

*yes, i was the dumb one for coming into this thread, but i turned off images before i did to avoid seeing anything - i just wanted to see what y'all were talking about, and to see if anyone had any good info on whatever spider you were talking about, specifically that they don't live anywhere near me.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Did anyone notice the screw to the right of the spider in the third picture. It kind of changes to scale a bit. It's still big, but not quite as big as it first appeared. To me at least.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've seen one, this big(might've been bigger it had actual weight to it which is why I looked down in the first place, but I was 11 at the time & about 79 pounds soaking wet ), up close & personal it was trying to crawl up my legs at the time [Frown]
Lets just say I jumped one way it jumped another.
Since then I've had a sever phobia of large siders.(in fact looking at the pics actually have me looking round my computer room) [Frown]

P.S. wheres that damn .410 derringer [Big Grin]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 500 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piper:
NFBSK the spiders. NFBSK them all. they're all disgusting (oh hell, there isn't a word to describe how much i hate them), and while i would never shoot one for fear of the disgusting mess it would make, if i ever found a large spider in my house, i would probably soil myself and never be able to live in that house again. i am not kidding. please forgive me if you think i'm overreacting, you can hate me and my opinion all you like, but as someone with severe arachnophobia*, i can easily say that (1) they are NOT like dogs or cats (NOT! NOT!)

I used to be quite the arachnophobe. I don't know what happened. I've become desensitized. I was so freaked out about spiders when I went to live in California, I started looking the baddies up online to see pictures, so I could identify them. No, I knew what a black widow looked like. I wanted to be able to identify the recluses. I was so freaked out by some accounts of recluse bites I read, I was really creeped out.

Oh, but before that, 3 days after arriving at my mountain hideaway in CA, I came home from grocery shopping and there was some strange HUGE spider on the kitchen ceiling. Oh god... it had long legs that terminated in a point. It was nighttime, but it seemed as if it had the skin and coloring of some lizards. It really looked like lizard skin.....on a spider! It was this coralish pink with tan. Makes me shiver to recall it. I threw a shoe at it. Wrong! I only knocked it to the floor, and it ran like the blazes, under the refrigerator. Oh great. So, I had to live in fear of that damn thing for about 1 1/2 weeks, until I spotted it again. Same spot. Just in front of the refrigerator. I took my shoe off, aimed carefully, and blasted that baby with it, as hard as I could. But, the worse thing about squashing a great big spider like that, is you have to clean up the mess, after. *sob*

Then, a few months after my online spider research, I left at dusk to run into town, and when I came around the corner to go up my driveway to the road, there was a huge.black.tarantula marching across my driveway! *shudder* Ever see those things? They raise their legs high so you can see every hair on their ugly hairy legs. *shiver* I tried to run it over with my car. Afterwards I felt ashamed. It wasn't bothering me. It wasn't down by the house. It was just minding its own business and I tried to fun it over. Fortunately, I failed.

Then came the first black widow I saw, outside, while trying to toss some trash my landlord had left, into my trash barrel, after dark, using a flashlight. Now, that absolutely scared the bejeesus out of me. I know my heart stopped. But, I killed it. Well, I think I did. That was before I knew that even the strongest bug sprays didn't affect those things. At any rate, it moved on.

I told my neighbor from down the canyon about it and she told me that sometimes at night she goes "widow hunting" around her place. I asked her to show me how. She came up one night and the two of us, armed with flashlights, big sticks (and long!) and a can of wasp spray, went on a seek and destroy mission that yielded 5 dead black widows.

Once when I was handling some split bags of grass seed, which I had to hug like a baby to avoid losing too much, I ended up pouring a good-size black widow into my wheel barrow. I almost passed out when I realized she'd come from where my arm was hugging the bag. She ended up dead. I cannot leave black widows alive. If you ever saw them up close, shining like some menacing nether world creature, under your flashlight, you'd know what I mean.

Sometime later that summer, an adolescent tarantula was on my deck, scouting for the little tree frogs that would cling to my siding at night, eating bugs that came to the porch light, no doubt. I shooed him off the deck.

Then, in my place I had a spider my neighbors from down the canyon called a vinegaroo. I don't know what it is. It's a pinkish spider with black hair. I killed it. It was about 2" across.

Shortly after I got back to Michigan, a huge wolf spider startled me. Then, someone started a spider discussion and I asked about some rubbery spider in Australia and someone (was it YOU, Davros?) sent me around looking at all these spider pics.

I don't know. I used to be terrified of them. If I spotted the tiniest of spiders when living at home, I'd scream and my mother would come and kill it. Not without making me feel like a baby, mind you, but it was a small price to pay. When I was married, my ex-husband was my spider champion. But, all grown up, living alone with no mom, and no husband, I had to take care of the critters on my own.

At any rate, they don't spook me like they use to. I use to not even be able to handle a magazine that I knew had a spider picture in it. Progress. I hope this doesn't mean I'm entirely grown up.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Oh, but before that, 3 days after arriving at my mountain hideaway in CA, I came home from grocery shopping and there was some strange HUGE spider on the kitchen ceiling.

A strange spider, eh? Is that strange as in you didn't know it by name?

Bob the Spider, is that you?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dazzy
Ceylon Sailor

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Dazzy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There are no words for how scary those things are, and how many freaky nightmares I'm sure I'm going to have from viewing that.

I had great aspirations of visiting Australia at some point in my life - Davros and his story about the huntsman running across his windshield has quashed that.

I'm one of those severe aracnophobes that can't even be near a dead spider, and can't kill them because that means getting *near* them.

Daz 'wonder what it's like to live in the Arctic - bug free!' zy

ETA: the people on that thread also OMAK, because I've nearly wet myself laughing about six times now.

--------------------
My other car is a horse.

Posts: 187 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

much chopping

Shortly after I got back to Michigan, a huge wolf spider startled me. Then, someone started a spider discussion and I asked about some rubbery spider in Australia and someone (was it YOU, Davros?) sent me around looking at all these spider pics.

more chopping

tag [/QB]

Yep that would have been me
Australians love to scare vistors with the native wildlife (and we do not need to make any of it up)

Dav(forgive me)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 01 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I used to be afraid of the eight-legged thingys... but, all the men I've dated have been VERY afraid of spiders, so I've become the spider-assassin for the 6 foot and over men that are yelling, "SPIDER SPIDER! KILL IT KILL IT!"

I've got a few pics of the ex-hubby standing on the kitchen table because of a teeny spider on the wall. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lapis Lazuli
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Lapis Lazuli     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Spiders, bleh. I didn't dare go past the first picture of those spindly legs. Those little monsters have nothing to fear from me-- I'm such an extreme arachnophobe I can't even stand to be on the same floor as one of those creatures. Getting within a broom's (or a gun's) reach of them would be a miracle.

I had an awful experience about a year ago- I was in the basement of a friend's house during a get-together. At some point, someone casually announced there was a spider on the wall behind me. At this point, the "fight or flight" instinct took over in all its "flight" glory and I bolted to the other side of the room. One of the fellows present, thinking I was just a screechy lady scared of spiders, *picked up* the little bugger with its web and proceeded to bring it over and dangle it in front of my face. By this point I was screaming, crying and hyperventilating so badly I passed out.

Bottom line: I love all of nature's creatures, aside from the spider. I think it would be healthier for both species if spiders just agreed to stay out of our way. And houses. [Smile]

--------------------
Your pants will be legendary, even in Hell.

Posts: 113 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 01 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
But, the worse thing about squashing a great big spider like that, is you have to clean up the mess, after. *sob*

Now, If you'd shot it with a bazooka you wouldn't need to scrape anything off the wall. Of course, you'd have no wall either...

By the way, my comments about shooting the spider were in jest, I would never discharge a firearm that recklessly - someone could get hurt. Other than the spider, I mean. And while I may disagree about the desire to own guns, I do respect your opinion and I see nothing wrong with it. You have every right to not like guns, they can be dangerous and even deadly if not used in a careful and responsible manner.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
How the NFBSK do you kill it? "Excuse me, Shaq? I need to borrow your shoe...there's a spider the size of New Jersey on my wall..."

Considering where it was hiding, one could always reinterpret the phrase "punching the clock."

quote:
Originally posted by Davros with my snake pit mind:
Although bites can be painful to humans and occasionally cause mild nausea and headaches

Given the reaction of several posters here and in the original message board, it doesn't even need to get close enough to bite to cause severe nausea, let alone mild!

quote:
I shared the pics with my family, and my mother (who isn't a member of this board) would like to say:
"I could've gone my whole life without seeing those pictures and died happy, but nooooooooooooo! You're not happy unless someone, somewhere, is peeing their pants in terror! Well, congratulations! You owe me a new chair!"

Sounds like we've got a new acronym! YOMANC! For reactions to scary posts...

As for me, the pics weren't too bad. Still, I'm not sure what I'd do in person. I'm okay with spiders at a distance, but I'm iffy with just about any bug actually being on me. Mostly if they're on me, and I lose sight of them... Argh; as a computer programmer, there's nothing more frustrating than being confronted with a problem in my own "programming," which I can't just patch with a little code...

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns

Icon 213 posted            Edit/Delete post 
My comments about shooting the spider are mostly jest, too. I'd probably just run screaming out of the house if I found a spider that size on my wall. Yes, I respect other people's desire not to have guns, but it would be nice if they occasioanlly respected my desire to have a gun.

Still, I feel the need to answer some of the comments made by tag:

quote:
Yes. I'm only thankful you weren't around with your big gun when I very peacefully eased the tarantula off the porch. Shooting spiders? Not that I think you're overreacting or anything. [Roll Eyes]

It was a JOKE, for Pete's sake. And I wouldn't have shot that tarantula you shooed off your porch - I would've been hiding inside the house hoping it left on its own. As long as it's outside, It doesn't bother me that much.

quote:
Seriosuly, though:
One, this isn't a board for you to vent your personal predjudices,
Are you sure? Is there a rule about it? So, this is a board where you may vent YOUR personal prejudices, but I may not vent mine? I'll have to rein all my personal prejudices in, then. I didn't know.

Okay, I admit I misphrased that. I meant this thread isn't here for a gun debate. Sorry about that. It's just I get tired of people saying guns are bad, period, and basically putting anyone who owns a gun on the same level as a dangerous criminal, which the majority of us are not.

quote:
and two, if you know how to use a gun properly, it's neither scary nor very dangerous.I'm not afraid of the guns as much as the people that think they need guns. What do they need the guns for, is what I want to know. Oh, to shoot spiders. I forgot.
Yes, criminals with guns can be a very bad thing - normal citizens with guns can be very good. I'm a short person with bad hips; I can't run worth beans or learn martial arts. If I'm ever attacked by someone, I'll be very happy if I have gun on me to defend myself with. I'd love to know why it is the woman found raped and murdered is thought morally superior to the woman explaining to the police how her attacker recieved those fatal gun shot wounds.

quote:
and I've known how to use one since my early teens. I've never shot anything but a paper target.
Well, we all know how threatening paper targets can be. Thank god you had the gun!

Okay, that's gotta be the lamest counter-argument I've ever seen! You use the paper target to learn how to hit what you're aiming at, improving said aim, and to get used to the gun itself. Would you really prefer it if people who had guns couldn't the broad side of a barn, and thus in a real life-or-death situation the bullets flew wide, missed the intended target completely, and hit some passersby on the street? Police officers practice with paper targets, too, you know! "Practice makes Perfect" applies to shooting as well as anything else you can think of. That's part of knowing how to properly use a gun.

You don't like guns? Fine. We're all allowed to our own opinion and feelings. Just don't sneer at me because I'm comfortable with firearms, and actually speak from experience. That's why I mentioned my parents, to show I had background information to draw on to support my opinion.
Now, let's let this thread get back on the subject of big, ugly, scary spiders. [Smile]

*~*NansJns*~*

""I did not choose my master," said the Knife,/"I did not choose my victim," said the Knife,/"I did not choose the way, the year, the place, or day."/ "I did not choose my master!" said the Knife." - Song of the Knife, c Anne Lister.

Archie2K

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmm, well I'm pretty sure I'm no arachnophobe. A spider that big is scary yes, but I think with a broom or large sheet of paper I could get it out a door or window safely. That just leaves heights and wasp fears to deal with.

Although the mean spider in I think it was davros' link freaked me out. The horns just look so frightening!

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unsocialannie

Icon 96 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Pick it up using a "large sheet of paper"!??? Didn't you read how this particular spider runs and jumps and pounces? The gun idea is sounding better and better! Or, we could shot a frog at it using a potatoe gun like this boy.
DemonWolf

Icon 01 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I love the smell og flying amphibians in the morning. If smells like... ummmm... flying amphimians!

Go get'em Kermit!!!

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Seven Different People
The First USA Noel

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Seven Different People   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seven Different People   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's great not being an arachnaphobe and seeing all of your guys' reactions. Really. You're the best. Give yourselves a pat on the back- but be careful! There might be a spider there! [Wink]

But seriously- did anyone else get the impression that it was a normal-sized spider and a very small clock?

-Sevi

--------------------
If life throws you lemons, make lemonade. If life throws you lemonade, make lemonade smoothies.

Posts: 804 | From: California | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seven Different People
The First USA Noel

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Seven Different People   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seven Different People   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Large waffle with eight legs.

--------------------
If life throws you lemons, make lemonade. If life throws you lemonade, make lemonade smoothies.

Posts: 804 | From: California | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
I love the smell og flying amphibians in the morning. If smells like... ummmm... flying amphimians!

Go get'em Kermit!!!

major YOMANK!!!
dav(freaky flying frogs batman)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seven Different People:
It's great not being an arachnaphobe and seeing all of your guys' reactions. Really. You're the best. Give yourselves a pat on the back- but be careful! There might be a spider there! [Wink]

But seriously- did anyone else get the impression that it was a normal-sized spider and a very small clock?

-Sevi

that is normal sized for a spider in these parts

quote:
Description:

Huntsman spiders are familiar to many Australians as the large, flat-bodied and extremely fast intruders, which, to some people's horror, occasionally take up residence in kitchens and living rooms. There are around a hundred different species of huntsman spider in Australia. The two back pairs of legs are shorter than the ones at the front and the legs fan out sideways enabling them to walk forwards and sideways often giving them a crab-like appearance. They come in a variety of colours and patterns but are mostly brown, black and grey. Some species are very large reaching over 160mm in leg span.

link again

dav( spiders also have 8 eyes )ros
that link has a close up of a spiders eyes

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

Lanston Fox

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post 
The only time a spider has really scared me happened while I was in school.

In the middle of my college ceramics class, durring quiet work time... a small, quarter sized spider decided to run across my glasses.... while I was wearing them....

I will admit though while turning red that I screamed in a quiet class, and smacked my glasses twenty feet across the room.....

Gah!

Tier-Rex

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Bloody Hell - judging from the responses I advise all fellow Aussies - Let's keep our snakes and marine life under wraps hey [Wink] Oh and btw No-one let them in on the drop-bears lol
Toxic Pornstar

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I thought that but I wasn't too sure coz I've seen spiders that are that big...but I tell you something, I wouldn't want to find one of them in the bath, I think I'd look something like this: [Eek!] (Lol!)
Archie2K

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
@unsocialannie: No, but still, so long as the f***er doesn't bite my hand off I'd be cool.

Anyone seen the new picture that's up there??
 -

(retard)

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages