snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Spider! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spider!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
http://pub169.ezboard.com/feqluclinfrm12.showMessage?topicID=532.topic
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Broadway
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post 
[Eek!]
Eughhh! That thing looks like it could eat a small dog! I'm glad I live in Vermont where we don't have those big spiders.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cabus   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cabus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Though they're highly unusual, I've seen a couple of spiders like that here in Brazil. Never in urban areas though; once, on the underside of a pier, while swimming, and once while hiking. I'm not very afraid of spiders, but neither was a very pleasant experience.

I don't think I'd be able to kill a creature that big though. [Frown]

--------------------
You can't spell failure without U R A.

Posts: 595 | From: Belo Horizonte, Brazil | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alka Swift

Icon 506 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, I am an odd one, but it does not scare me at all. I believe in totem spirits and the spider is one of mine. (It's a long story).

I've seen spiders about 5 feet wide/long that have been found in prestoric fossils in this one museamum.

Hm, looks kinda yummy really. (I am an odd one)

Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm not swallowing eight of those a year.

Barbara "but I would like to see the Bubble Yum package that one came out of" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lucian
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Lucian   E-mail Lucian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well I found this...

The Goliath bird-eater ( Theraphosa Leblondi )
http://www.saddleworth.net/gedspage/goliath.htm
http://fergies3.newton.mec.edu/angier/Ferguson/fergies02-03/spiders/wacky.htm

ETA: Ok, not sure if the pic the guy is holding on the first link is real as he has links about photo retouching but when I did a google for "world's largest spider" the Goliath kept coming up. If it is indeed the worlds largest, then check out this:

quote:
The world's largest spider is the Goliath bird-eating spider. It lives in the northeastern South America , Venezuela and Brazil. On February 1985 Charles J. Seiderman of New York City captured a huge female. It's leg span is ten and a half inches, it's total body length is four inches and it's fangs are inch long. It's weighs a peak of 4.3 oz.
Lucian "becoming arachniphobic" Phoenix

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Posts: 183 | From: Rocky Mount, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks, but I already had enough to keep me from sleeping at night. [Eek!]

Beach...what's one more sleepless night...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 204 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've seen bigger. Whilst giving a class outdoors in Okinawa to my fellow soldiers in the middle of the northern jungles, one about the size of a hubcap crawled up a tree about five feet behind a friend of mine, and he screamed like a little girl when he saw it.

Also, the people who replied to the pictures OMANK.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laura 2
The First USA Noel

Icon 98 posted      Profile for laura 2   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by okenter, now a non smoker:

Also, the people who replied to the pictures OMANK.

My personal favorite: "Spiders that large should never exist, NFBSK all of divinity for creating some sh*t like that."

--------------------
My Belly Dance Business - Galatea Middle Eastern Dance - www.galateadancer.com

Q: What's the difference between an onion and a mizmar?
A: No one cries when they cut up a mizmar.

Posts: 786 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I am terrified of spiders. No other creatures really bother me but any size spider makes me freak. How the NFBSK do you kill it? "Excuse me, Shaq? I need to borrow your shoe...there's a spider the size of New Jersey on my wall..." If I saw that thing I would not stick around to take pictures, that is for sure!

Little "snakes are so much better" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Okay, I normally like spiders. I even like the tarantulas in the pet store. But this thing creeped *me* out...
Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 16 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From a response to the picture
quote:
Don't they watch horror movies? The next picture in the sequence would be the photographer lying dead on the floor next to the clock, the hands stopped 30 seconds after the first picture.

I had the very same thought...All we need now is the lady in high heels running from the chainsaw weilding madman and it would be the perfect horror movie.

Actually, spiders don't really bother me. Stinging wasps and hornets on the other hand...

24k"I wonder if snopes posted this to help him plan the next theme"Kate

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
that is just a Huntsman Spider you get them all the time here they dont hurt you well not much they are one of the safer spiders here

quote:
Habitat:

Huntsman spiders occur Australia-wide and are usually found on tree trunks, under bark, beneath stones or on the walls of houses. Some species are extremely compressed and live between the hairline cracks of sandstone and granite outcrops.

Diet:

The huntsman eats a variety of insects, arthropods, small lizards and frogs. The prey is not captured in a web but actively stalked and run-down with stealth and speed. The fangs are large and powerful and hold the food item until it is immobilised by the spider's venom. Although bites can be painful to humans and occasionally cause mild nausea and headaches, the symptoms are usually only localized pain and swelling.

huntsman can scare the living NFBSK out of you i had one run across my windscreen while driving (on the inside )

dav( now this is a mean spider )ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Admittedly, the pictures didn't freak me out too badly, but if I were to find something like that actually on my wall, I'd run out of the house screaming the next second. I did find the responses funny, though. And I agree with them. And I'd like to add:

KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKIILLLLIIIITTT!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

For the love of Mike, tell me this thing isn't still alive somewhere out there!

quote:
DUDE BUY A GUN CAUSE RAID AIN'T DOING SHIT TO THAT SASQUATCH OF A SPIDER.
(One of my favorite answers to that, BTW). A .22 should do the job nicely, with minimal damage to the wall. If not, a .38; the freaking wall can be replastered!!

And LittleDuck - LOL!!

*~*Nans"Kill All Spiders Bigger than a Quarter Inch"Jns*~*

Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NansJns:
Admittedly, the pictures didn't freak me out too badly, but if I were to find something like that actually on my wall, I'd run out of the house screaming the next second. I did find the responses funny, though. And I agree with them. And I'd like to add:

quote:
(One of my favorite answers to that, BTW). A .22 should do the job nicely, with minimal damage to the wall. If not, a .38; the freaking wall can be replastered!!

And LittleDuck - LOL!!

*~*Nans"Kill All Spiders Bigger than a Quarter Inch"Jns*~*

what is the big deal that is just a house spider around here [Big Grin]

Dav(they do run and jump as well)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns

Icon 217 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
what is the big deal that is just a house spider around here [Big Grin]

Dav(they do run and jump as well)ros

Easy for you to say, Davros! You've got Daleks to get rid of any that get into your house! [Wink]

Knowing that these things are in Australia does make me feel much better, though.

*~*Nans"Safe and snug in Texas"Jns*~*

NansJns

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I shared the pics with my family, and my mother (who isn't a member of this board) would like to say:
"I could've gone my whole life without seeing those pictures and died happy, but nooooooooooooo! You're not happy unless someone, somewhere, is peeing their pants in terror! Well, congratulations! You owe me a new chair!" Also, she agrees with killing it with a gun - no way in heck is she getting close enough to spray or swat it! Same here, actually. Biiiig gun!

[lol] [Wink]
*~*NansJns*~*

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
NFBSK, I don't know what the freak I'd do if I saw that monstrosity. The long legs really get to me, not to mention its size. I seriously think I would freeze and wet my pants if I saw that in real life.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Personally, I wouldn't want to kill it-- imagine what a big nasty mess that would make!
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
Personally, I wouldn't want to kill it-- imagine what a big nasty mess that would make!

huntsman spiders do not make a big mess

for a big mess step on a Leopard Slug

quote:
This is the largest of the introduced slugs found in Sydney, and reaches a size of 20 cm. The name Leopard Slug is derived from the slug's dark spots on its light brown body. It feeds on dead animal tissue, cat food and pet faeces. Slugs and snails are hermaphrodites, having both male and female reproductive organs. When they mate, Leopard Slugs become entwined and lower themselves from their branch on a thread of mucus to exchange sperm. After the exchange has taken place they return via the mucous thread, eating it as they go.
dav(slugs r us)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

Tier-Rex

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
This Australian looks at the pic. Yawns. Holds a broom up, and watches the huntsman climb aboard. Walks to the door and outside a little bit. There ya go - be free [Wink]
Thera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Thera   E-mail Thera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wow, deja vu, this thread was posted on my board too. I have to agree, the responses are hilarious. I also agree with the person who said the first pic is the worst, because at that point you don't know what the heck's under there yet.
Posts: 100 | From: Georgia | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 105 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Davros in my web of evil:
that is just a Huntsman Spider you get them all the time here they dont hurt you well not much they are one of the safer spiders here

quote:
Habitat:

Huntsman spiders occur Australia-wide and are usually found on tree trunks, under bark, beneath stones or on the walls of houses. Some species are extremely compressed and live between the hairline cracks of sandstone and granite outcrops.

Diet:

The huntsman eats a variety of insects, arthropods, small lizards and frogs. The prey is not captured in a web but actively stalked and run-down with stealth and speed. The fangs are large and powerful and hold the food item until it is immobilised by the spider's venom. Although bites can be painful to humans and occasionally cause mild nausea and headaches, the symptoms are usually only localized pain and swelling.

huntsman can scare the living NFBSK out of you i had one run across my windscreen while driving (on the inside )

dav( now this is a mean spider )ros

Thank You! I thouhgt, that can't be real, show me what species it is, and I'll belive. I don't know how you Aussies do it! First funnel webs , now these? One's deadly, one's not, but I think I'd have an NFBSKing heart attack if I saw either one in real life! [Eek!]

House spiders, I understand, but must they be as big as the house?
[Frown]

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue

Icon 506 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I actually like spiders. Yeah, sure, I may be crazy, but I honestly don't know how you could kill something like that. Could you kill a cat? Could you kill a dog? I couldn't, and spiders are just like cats and dogs.

Hell, I can't even kill ants most of the time, much less moths that fly into my house.

Tree "and spider, and ant, and moth" Hugger

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How do you kill something that big? Seriously. When I lived in California I had an adolescent tarantula on my deck. It was a little smaller than my hand, but still a sizeable spider. I got the broom and nudged it off the deck. You can't stomp something that big.

tag live long and prosper.....somewhere else! urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 301 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

quote:

Screw that! Get my shotgun! I only regret not owning anything bigger.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 301 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What are all you people doing with all these damn guns? Now THAT's scary!

--------------------
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From Davros' first posted link:

quote:
Reproduction:

Courtship in huntsman spiders is surprisingly romantic when compared to other spiders. The male is rarely attacked by the female and the process may last many hours. After mating, the female places her egg sack under bark or a rock and keeps guard of it until hatching. At the appropriate time, the mother spider opens the egg sack to help her spiderlings out and she may stay with her spiderlings for several weeks.

Look, romantic and a good mama too.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NansJns

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't care if it is romantic and a good mother, I don't want it in my house! All desire to ever visit Australia has died in me, now. Well, I never was that interested, anyway (no offense to the Australian members of this board!).

quote:

We're shooting spiders, weren't you listening??
Seriosuly, though:
One, this isn't a board for you to vent your personal predjudices, and two, if you know how to use a gun properly, it's neither scary nor very dangerous. My parents collect guns, and I've known how to use one since my early teens. I've never shot anything but a paper target. Still, though, I'd be afraid to go anywhere near a spider like that, and spiders don't freak me out all that badly. Not the little ones, anyway; I squish and flush them with minimal trouble. A spider that size, on the other hand. . .I really think I might shoot it. I don't know for sure; I pray I never have to find out!

If God didn't want us to be afraid of spiders, He wouln't have made them look that way!

*~*Nans"The only good spider is Tobey Maguire"Jns*~*

Il-Mari
We Three Blings

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Il-Mari         Edit/Delete post 
Hmm, since everyone is talking about shooting the thing, I want to know this: Would it be possible to get one of those things stuffed and mounted on a wooden base or something? If nothing else, I think it'd make one hell of an interesting conversation piece.

- Il-Mari

--------------------
When you mix faith with science, you serve neither and weaken both.

- Richard P. Sloan and Larry VandeCreek

Posts: 1094 | From: Helsinki, Finland | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Catsnake

Icon 606 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Treehugger wrote:
quote:
spiders are just like cats and dogs
Really? I'd hate to meet the sort of cat that has eight legs and can spin webs.
Davros
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Il-Mari:
Hmm, since everyone is talking about shooting the thing, I want to know this: Would it be possible to get one of those things stuffed and mounted on a wooden base or something? If nothing else, I think it'd make one hell of an interesting conversation piece.

- Il-Mari

You can get a Redback (same as the black widow) spider in Perspex (as a gear knob) at just about any auto shop here .
I have also seen Funnelweb’s in Perspex
So you could have a Huntsman in plastic but you would be looking at something about a foot across or so

Dav(wraped in plastic)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

tagurit

Icon 600 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:

We're shooting spiders, weren't you listening??
Yes. I'm only thankful you weren't around with your big gun when I very peacefully eased the tarantula off the porch. Shooting spiders? Not that I think you're overreacting or anything. [Roll Eyes]
quote:
Seriosuly, though:
One, this isn't a board for you to vent your personal predjudices

Are you sure? Is there a rule about it? So, this is a board where you may vent YOUR personal prejudices, but I may not vent mine? I'll have to rein all my personal prejudices in, then. I didn't know.
quote:
and two, if you know how to use a gun properly, it's neither scary nor very dangerous.
I'm not afraid of the guns as much as the people that think they need guns. What do they need the guns for, is what I want to know. Oh, to shoot spiders. I forgot.
quote:
My parents collect guns
Oh, then that makes it alright. Why didn't you say so?
quote:
and I've known how to use one since my early teens. I've never shot anything but a paper target.
Well, we all know how threatening paper targets can be. Thank god you had the gun!
quote:
Still, though, I'd be afraid to go anywhere near a spider like that, and spiders don't freak me out all that badly. Not the little ones, anyway; I squish and flush them with minimal trouble. A spider that size, on the other hand. . .I really think I might shoot it. I don't know for sure; I pray I never have to find out!
You hear that? *stopping to listen quietly* That's the spiders praying, too.

tag

--------------------
---
AAMAH

piper

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
NFBSK the spiders. NFBSK them all. they're all disgusting (oh hell, there isn't a word to describe how much i hate them), and while i would never shoot one for fear of the disgusting mess it would make, if i ever found a large spider in my house, i would probably soil myself and never be able to live in that house again. i am not kidding. please forgive me if you think i'm overreacting, you can hate me and my opinion all you like, but as someone with severe arachnophobia*, i can easily say that (1) they are NOT like dogs or cats (NOT! NOT!), and (2) -

quote:

that is easily the most wrong thing i have ever heard in my life. the only conversation i could make after seeing something like that is "dasdf;iu asdf;iuabwer xjfniosuerhso ncweoiuvnsdfju sorry i made a mess on your carpet BYE! *zoom!*" even if you're joking, that's just wrong.

WRONG! [Wink]

*yes, i was the dumb one for coming into this thread, but i turned off images before i did to avoid seeing anything - i just wanted to see what y'all were talking about, and to see if anyone had any good info on whatever spider you were talking about, specifically that they don't live anywhere near me.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Did anyone notice the screw to the right of the spider in the third picture. It kind of changes to scale a bit. It's still big, but not quite as big as it first appeared. To me at least.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages