snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Photo Gallery Archive » Man with face blown off (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Man with face blown off
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks for the link Edith. It was pretty gruesome, but I thought the other picture was much more revolting for some reason. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it seems like this unfortunate individual is still alive with such a nasty injury.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Allie, I'm going to go ahead and assume that "open face" originally started circulating because some nfbsk decided to make a point about wearing helmets. Aka, if you crash without a helmet, the pavement will remove your face for you. Which, technically is true, but if pavement dermabrasion were the case, there'd be more consistancy to the wounds (from what I've read, I'm not lookin!) -aka, the eyes and tounge would be mutilated as well. As well as I doubt he'd escape without dirt/gravel, etc. being worked in there as well... and it would not JUST be his head. Nice... Like we can't imagine the results without a photo? I know I do everytime I see someone fly by on a crotchrocket with the girlfriend perched behind him and both with no helmets, no shirt on the guy, both in shorts. ::squinch::

Aeryn, I know exactly what you mean - if it's fake, you can say "nice job!" and wonder how they did it so realistically - if it's real (or you think it's real), you are being presented with the reality that things like this *can* happen to anyone -including yourself, a loved one (and obviously the person you're seeing), and it's something most people don't stumble across on a regular basis (bar choosing a profession like the medical field & law enforcement, etc).

In my case, I see or think of something like that & imagine & dread it happening to someone I'm close to or coming across an accident during a monday commute - and it's a jarring shock. On one side, it's a good thing -it means we're not desensatized to the suffering of others... on the other side, it's not so good because we (people in general, not specifically you) are in a perceived bubble that seperates us from the reality of death and human vulnerability. This is going to sound hokey, but if we were living in a 3rd world atmosphere where the glass wall between mortality and life doesn't exist, then these things might not be so shocking or... in my case, something that throws you out of wack for ages because it has to be pumped through the brain and sorted out. We expect to deal with few deaths during our lifetime -even though we know better. Grandparents, parents, older relatives - but anything that is out of that normal expectation (or mental preperation zone...), I think throws people for a loop. I am probably just displaying how truly naive I am at this point still regarding death I guess, but...it kind of makes me thing of Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."

Meg "rambling" aira

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chinpira:
It was pretty gruesome, but I thought the other picture was much more revolting for some reason. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it seems like this unfortunate individual is still alive with such a nasty injury.

Yes! Exactly! And this thread started around the time I met our new receptionist. A lovely girl. Beautiful smile, warm personality...and a missing hand. I can't even imagine how that happened, and the shock and horror she must have endured.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
col_parker

You've definitely touched on some key reasons why this pic is so horrendous.

I definitely think that had this unfortunate bloke been dead (assuming this picture is real), it wouldn't have had much impact. The fact that he is alive, awake, aware and staring at the camera is just too much to handle considering how mind-boggling his injury is. Having a horrendous injury is one thing - being aware of your horrendous injury is something else entirely (notice how most accident victims never remember before, during and after their accident).

The other thing that makes this so disturbing is that it's his face. Had his arms or legs been torn off, that would be horrible too, but in a more tangible, "he's now disabled" kind of way. Our faces, however, are what make us human. Our face is everything - it's our identity. It's what makes you, you. This guy's face is gone. Just freakin' gone. It's not going to grow back. It's not going to heal. Even with extensive facial reconstruction, he's going to be a different person. His identity has essentially been erased.

Ugh. My quest to debunk this lovely piece of work goes on...

Bordo

After reading this thread I decided NOT to follow the link or look at the photo. So it came as no surprise when one of the cops I work with sent it to me via e-mail. The next day I told him about the discussion here as to the photos validity. He explained that this is a real photograph of a man who had been involved in a motorcycle accident. The gruesome injury is the result of his face striking the area of the bike between the handlebars. My buddy then offered to send me the "whole series" of photos of this poor guy (including photos of him before the accident and after reconstructive surgery).
Want to hear something strange? I was sent this photo the same day my partner and I had answered a call where an old homeless woman had been rolled over by a 5 ton dumptruck (she looked just like the 'jumper" photo posted here awhile ago). For some reason, the photo of the faceless guy was FAR more disturbing. So I understand the need to believe it's a fake. Sorry for bursting anyone's bubble.

tdn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bordo:
So it came as no surprise when one of the cops I work with sent it to me via e-mail. The next day I told him about the discussion here as to the photos validity. He explained that this is a real photograph of a man who had been involved in a motorcycle accident.

How did your cop coworker know that this photo was real? Was he on that case, or did he simply forward it on from another cop friend?

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wow, Bordo, I think it would be interesting to see this guy's face AFTER the reconstruction, if that was at all possible.....
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bordo

The guy I know was apparently forwarded the pics from a cop he knows on another department. I know, I know...doesn't make it real just because it's coppers sending the stuff back and forth. In fact, I guess I have no actual proof that the photo is fake. I'm just making an educated guess on the discussion I had with my buddy and the fact that we've both seen things like this up close and personal on the job. In other words, it's my STRONG personal opinion that this is the real deal. If anyone wants to check out the whole series, let me know and I'll have my partner e-mail them to you. Or I'll send them along. But I'm not looking at them
tdn

Icon 03 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bordo:
If anyone wants to check out the whole series, let me know and I'll have my partner e-mail them to you. Or I'll send them along. But I'm not looking at them

Sure, send them to my e-mail address. If they're too disghusting, I'll just delete them.

col_parker

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. First, exactly what sort of collision/accident would send a person forward and *down* into the handle bar part of the bike? The very physics of crashing would send you right over the handle bars - not face first into them. Second, this guy doesn't appear to have a scratch on him other than his lower face. Any sort of crash that was violent enough to rip his face off would also have mangled the rest of him too - head, arms, hands and probably legs too. I mean this guy is sitting up in a chair staring at the camera. Anyone that's ever been in any kind of accident knows that if the paramedics suspect that you've even been shaken violently, they keep you flat and put a neck brace on you. I guarantee that if this was indeed a motorcycle accident he'd be strapped down and immobilzed (and if he couldn't breathe because of his wound they'd stick a tube in his neck rather than risk further spinal cord damage). And, like I said, he'd have a lot more injuries than just his face, even if he was wearing a helmet. Real? Maybe. Motorcycle accident? No way.
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Could be an aborted suicide attempt with a shotgun. I remember this one kid who attempted suicide with a shotgun but survived (His parents blamed Judas Priest for the incident).
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I still think that the wound is too clean to be that sort of accident.

And the fact that it's a series of pictures doesn't prove a thing...if it's all makeup, then they'd be sure to take lots of picture from all angles, and possibly in more than one setting, just to capture their work.

Jenn "waiting for Todd's report"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bordo

TDN, I just e-mailed my partner and asked him to send you the remainder of the series. Have fun
col_parker

Okay, here's the latest...got an email from one of the make-up artists at Almost Human, a special effects company in LA (www.almosthuman.net) He didn't say much, just that he thought it was real - "100% real trauma" - and that real stuff sometimes has a "surreal / fake look to it". I'm not convinced, but for the record - that's 1 "expert" who thinks it's fake (see earlier message) and 1 who thinks it's real. I'll try a forensic scientist next.
Captain Corny

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I saw this picture before, but with a different explanation (that's very appealing to the imagination).

The guy you see went out with some friends, and they decided to have acid for the first time. Everything went great, until the guy locked himself into the bathroom. The others were flying high, so didn't pay too much attention to it. They could hear muffled grunts and jolts, and they figured he was having a good, long wank. After an hour or two, the others were growing desparate for a piss, so they started knocking on the locked bathroom door. Since it didn't open, they decided to knock it down. When they came in they found him the way he was on the picture.

It was later discovered, through personal accounts of the guy (that survived this), that he saw his face in the mirror, and the drugs made him think that it wasn't his own face. No, it was the face of pure evil. He thought his real face was buried under it, and proceeded to actually PEEL his own face off, using his bare hands and whatever he could find in the bathroom.

I really like this explanation (plus the moral implication: don't do drugs) and I'm sticking by it. Not because I believe it, but because it makes such a great story.

greetz

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

I think people can pretty much agree now that this picture is one hundred percent Gen yu wine. It's so horrific that one WISHES it were fake. We have some pretty amazing researchers on this website, and if it were fake they'd probably found out by now. Plus the fact that none of the makeup artist's who were shown the picture recognized it up front. I mean, if that WAS truly special effects, don't you think people in the trade would be aware of such a 'masterpiece???'
sureshot
Poultrygeist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sureshot   Author's Homepage   E-mail sureshot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chinpira:
I think people can pretty much agree now that this picture is one hundred percent Gen yu wine. It's so horrific that one WISHES it were fake. We have some pretty amazing researchers on this website, and if it were fake they'd probably found out by now. Plus the fact that none of the makeup artist's who were shown the picture recognized it up front. I mean, if that WAS truly special effects, don't you think people in the trade would be aware of such a 'masterpiece???'

I've been reading the post to this thread since it began but I guess just now felt like entering the discussion. My question is: Why is someone with an obviously life threatening injury apparently posing for a picture and not receiving any sort of medical attention? I guess it's just the surroundings and the context which don't seem right to me....
sure"I'm pinching your head!"shot

Posts: 52 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fenchurch

Why would someone be taking this photo, if it is real?

1) To document horrific injuries for the "Don't drink and drive" slide show in driver's ed;
2) To document a medical procedure, traumatic injury, etc, for a medical textbook or some similar purpose

I personally don't believe it's real. Can someone really lose so much of his face, and presumably so much blood, and still be alive? Why aren't the eyes bloodshot, as others have said? How can the wound be so clean, i.e. no gravel, rocks, shrapnel of any kind? Why is there no bruising elsewhere on his face or on his shoulders or whatever else we can see of him?

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

I've seen many pictures of people with horrific wounds (not that I'm into that, mind you.....), and many of them are 'clean.'
If you look at the eyes, it definitely looks glazed. These photos do indeed exist for whatever purpose as fenchurch points out. Maybe someone could post the pictures of the 'reconstructed' face in order to dispel all and any doubts as to the autenthicity of the photo and injury.....

Scuttler
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scuttler         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
The guy you see went out with some friends, and they decided to have acid for the first time. Everything went great, until the guy locked himself into the bathroom. The others were flying high, so didn't pay too much attention to it. They could hear muffled grunts and jolts, and they figured he was having a good, long wank. After an hour or two, the others were growing desparate for a piss, so they started knocking on the locked bathroom door. Since it didn't open, they decided to knock it down. When they came in they found him the way he was on the picture.

It was later discovered, through personal accounts of the guy (that survived this), that he saw his face in the mirror, and the drugs made him think that it wasn't his own face. No, it was the face of pure evil. He thought his real face was buried under it, and proceeded to actually PEEL his own face off, using his bare hands and whatever he could find in the bathroom.

Possible 'Hannibal' spoiler here (if you haven't read the latest Thomas Harris book) -

This is what Hannibal Lecter does to Mason Verger - spikes an amyl nitrate popper with LSD and then persuades Verger (once he's tripping) to remove his own face with a piece of broken glass.

Which came first, the idea in the book or the urban legend?

Posts: 19 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tammi Terrell

quote:
This is what Hannibal Lecter does to Mason Verger -- spikes an amyl nitrate popper with LSD and then persuades Verger (once he's tripping) to remove his own face with a piece of broken glass.

Which came first, the idea in the book or the urban legend?

Take the following for what it's worth...

According to Vernon Geberth, a retired NYPD homicide detective, the scenario described in Hannibal is based on a Bronx case he investigated and wrote about well before Harris's book was published. Indeed, there are similarities, though Geberth claims the drug user he profiles had mutilated himself while under the influence of phencylidine. Furthermore, Geberth never asserts that this fellow had been drugged by someone else or persuaded to mutilate his face.

While I'm not convinced as to how accurately Geberth portrays what befell his PCP user, there's no mistaking Geberth's dogged insistence that this drug-crazed fellow peeled off pieces of his face with a shard of mirror and fed them to his dogs. (Yes, this is the "Tomato with Teeth" guy.) Geberth further reports that the dogs' stomachs were pumped in hopes of retrieving the nose and lips (or whatever), and that this fellow survived this experience only because he was in a remarkably deep anesthetic state. I'm doubtful.

[This message has been edited by Tammi Terrell (edited 08-11-2000).]

jessieg16

quote:
Originally posted by tommi:
I went to rotten.com to look at this picture, and it wasn't even fully loaded before I was closing the window. I normally have a strong stomach, but I just couldn't look at this one. I tried, but I couldn't bear it long enough to decide if it's fake or not, so I'll leave that decision to others.

[This message has been edited by tommi (edited 07-21-2000).]

Even though I waited for the whole pic to load I was sick to my stomach. It was so disgusting. There was sooo much blood. Yuck.I usually can handle stuff like that. I couldn't really tell you if it's real or not.

As for Rutten.com(what i've been hearing about it) I probably won't visiting that site agian. Just seeing one of the pitures.

------------------

Corey

ok, i may be the only one left really lookign at the pic, but anyway...

my question is the nature of the spread of the wound. honestly to me the angles which his cheeks, jawbone, and nose have gone seem to suggest to me that it was an explosion from inside. If he fell off a bike or hit the handlebars, some of that would have been forced inside. Instead, his lower jaw is underneath his tounge, and the right and left parts of his jaw are spread in their respective directions. I can only assume that his nose is under his left eye.

Now, it could be argued that this was after some preliminary work by the med staff, but if that's true, i would imagine that he's under such heavy sedatives that he couldn't hold himself up. Just a theory, i'm not versed in hospital procedure.

Again, another question has to come into play. Assuming this man had an accident, he would have to have spent at least 10 min before EMS got to him (estimate), travel time in the ambulance, and then some time before he was prepped for the photo. He would have to be prepped, because there's not any blood to speak of on his body, so he would have to have been cleaned. So, conservitavly, we're talking 15-20 minutes before this picture was taken. He had to have lost a GREAT deal of blood. But I only see a blood pressure cuff on him, and no IV...true it might be off to the right of the picture, but i would wager it would get infront of the shot.

and one other thing, i think the shadows behind the nurse are consistant, but take a look at the hand, the fingers end in a black line that doesn't look like it could be consistant with the flash shadow.

ok those are my thoughts, anyone here point something out that i'm missing?

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

I want to see the 'reconstructed' face, no doubt. That should prove the autenthicity of this photo.
Cynestria

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A picture of a reconstructed face wouldn't prove anything at all. Are you planning on recognizing someone when all you can see in the original is part of their eyes? A 'reconstructed face' photo would prove that there was a picture of someone with a somewhat deformed face...
Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
superfett

Okay, so I'm dying to know...has anyone come up with any proof about this photo? I've search Google, Altavista, Metacrawler...and found only a couple of references to the photo itself, but nothing substantial indicating its authenticity.

Super "Dying to know" Fett

steamed_hams

JESUS H CHRis.......

Thanks I have started my unplanned diet today.Not just one link to a pukefest,but two.I think that the pictures were disturbing because, I imagined a loved one, associate, or even, myself dying like that. Then, rotten.com or who ever, posting me, or them up like that. Thus, exploiting a violent, sickening death.

Jimbo

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Ok new guy here. I HAD to post regarding this message as it is an obvious fake
1. The room looks like the "sick room" in a School or Collage (well my old one any way)
2.Wouldnt and an impact capable of destroying your Jaw + cheekbones at least leave your eyes blood shot if not shatter the skull into tiny pieces and break the neck.
3. And this might just be my eyes playing trick (DL the picture and zoom in) the nurse behind him is a man in a womans wig, he has facial hair and what looks like hairy forearms.
4.for crying out loud look at the amount of blood he is loosing im no doctor but im guesingbleeding like that for more than 10 seconds and you would be very dead.

DarkDemoness

This pic was brought to my attention at another message board I visit, and there was a similarly lengthy discussion about it's authenticity.
IMO, It's a fake.
1) How is he breathing? He has no visible means to do so, yet I see no trachea tube helping him breathe.
2) How is he sitting up, staring into the camera? Presumably he'd be on some sort of drug, and for his condition, the drugs required would make him most likely not alert enough to hold his head up. If he's NOT on drugs, how is he even sane enough to pose? How is he aware enough through the pain/drugs to "Look at me now, Bob. Ok, Smile!" Get my drift?
3) Where is the blood at? Shouldn't there be blood ALL over him? Shouldn't it have run down onto his chest area during transport? And why on earth would they clean him up when saving his life is the priority?
4) They claim this is a motorcycle accident, but it clearly cannot pass for one.
5) There is little/no tramua/blood in the eyes. How was it the horrible damage to his face conviently stopped at his eyes?
6) One word for you: Photoshop
They fakers most likely did quite a bit of foolery with some make-up prosthetics and touch ups in Photoshop. Believe me, if I were motivated enough to do this, I could make something similarly convincing with that program, no big deal, just a little time. You can use a real tramuatic injury, and the magic wand tool to import the real injury onto your 'victim' and some handy dandy blending and such, and there you have it. Convincing photos in a snap.
Too many things about this photo don't add up. It just looks like something some bored college/high school kid did in his free time with some of his buddies.

Chucklebud

The picture was posted to me, and I understood that the person pictured is in the armed services, being treated in military hospital(look at the background) after putting a lit firecracker in his mouth.
And by the way, it's possible to breath with a half your face blown off, as long as your trachea is clear, which it appears to be in this picture since he still has a functional tongue.
I once wathed a friend tear his top lip open on a trampoline. It was so bad , it was hang down, swinging, showing us his top teeth and gums. He was fine... until he looked in the mirror. That's when he freaked out and passed out. It's never too bad, until you see it for yourself. I saw my left forearm make a right angle between my elbow and wrist. I was too young to understand the implications of that, but when I saw the same injury on someone else 20 years later, I promptly fainted.

[This message has been edited by Chucklebud (edited 10-15-2000).]

Ghosty

I have to say, the possibility of this photo being digitally altered is intriguing. I used to restore old photos for a living, so I've used photoshop quite a bit. The picture, in my opinion, does have a certain "photoshopped" feel to it. Something about the wound doesn't seem quite right. It seems pasted on (of course, I don't really have a lot of experience with such wounds, thank goodness!) -- also, the angle of the light hitting the wound looks ever-so-slightly different from that hitting the guy's face. But then, I could just be looking for things. I'd really like to believe that this is a fake, along with all the other photos on that site. Man, that stuff is disturbing.

-- Deen

DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Corny:

Two comments:

1. This sounds like the version of the "human orange" UL where the guy tries to peel himself.
2. There was a story in a 70's comic book about this guy who started an immigrant-bashing group that wore black-dyed pillowcases on their heads. The cops were on his trail, so he ripped off the pillowcase to destroy it - and found another in its place. When he tore that one off, he found another. He was in such a rush not to get caught that he started madly ripping off a succession of pillowcases, only to die from tearing his own face off. One of the cops who found him said that he had to have been sick to do that, and the last line of the story - a comment by the narrator - was something like "But then, all bigots are, aren't they?"

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fermifan

Okay, I'm addicted to TLC's Trauma: Life in the ER. Doesn't make me an expert on anything, sure. However, I've seen people on that show with horrific(nowhere near as horrific as this picture but made we avert my eyes anyway) injuries who were calm and lucid. It almost seems like some things are so unimagineable, the only thing you can do is deal with them.

I agree that if this picture is a fake, it's a work of pure FX genius.

Spicymos

that is soo fake. the blood is to thick and off color. You can tell the flesh effect is made with paper towels. Also, it's apparent the actor is wearing a mask which you will see outlined over his ear. If that's not enough (which it should be) common sense says no one could go through that, sit up with eyes open consious. I'm ashamed of anyone here who couldn't debunk that picture within 2 seconds!!1
Ghosty

So, has anyone come up with conclusive evidence yet -- for or against? What do people think of the idea that it is photoshop-ed?

Deen

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages