snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Lard Information Council

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lard Information Council
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Hi - thought the following would interest and/or amuse you. It
seems that an image of a happy smiling family at the beach, with the
slogan 'They're happy because they eat LARD' is being disseminated on the
Net and elsewhere as a 'genuine World War II poster'. The text at the
bottom claims that it was issued by the 'Lard Information Council'.

See the following:

http://nasw.org/users/milanocarol/plate.html
http://www.toxforum.org/summer2000/summer2000_1.5-milner.pdf
http://homepage.mac.com/brownsteve/retox.html

As far as I know, the ad is a spoof, from the British humour magazine Viz.
They produced it as a T-shirt design. Still, it would be good to get this
cleared up definitively!

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Howdy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I can confirm that this is indeed a Viz spoof. They did others in a similar vein, "Drink Beer", "Smoke Tabs" (that's fags, um cigarettes).

On a completely unrelated topic, they also did a great cartoon script which involved a fox in a box: 'Is that a puppy in your box' , 'nah it's a baby fox', 'what you gonna do with a baby fox?','F*ck it and eat it'.

You probably had to be there. I'll get my coat.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The best one was the skegness holiday poster

"Skegness...It's Fucking Shite"

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I always liked "Don't be soft...Have a fight"
Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm going home over the weekend and my old Viz collection is at my parents - I think I've got that one; I might be able to identify the issue. (It's definitely from Viz though - late 80s or early 90s.)
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My favourite things were always those really tiny "adverts" tucked away in the corners for things like "Worm Scissors" ("Cut worms into 2, 3, any number of pieces!")

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
OK, found the issue. It's in Viz issue 52, February / March 1992, on page 21.

They're Happy Because they eat Lard
Cover of Viz 52

Also on that page - "Meet Britain's only real life GHOSTBUSTER" and "Stars on Mars - Celebrities queue for journey into space".

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
Here's the ad:

-

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Heh - I remember these. if I could dig out my old Viz comics i'd find my favourite "Doctors say: Stay in the pink with ciggies and drink"

or something along those lines...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
...issued by the 'Lard Information Council'.

Headquartered, no doubt, in Manteca, CA.
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BoKu:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
...issued by the 'Lard Information Council'.

Headquartered, no doubt, in Manteca, CA.
That's good, that's really good [Big Grin]

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages