snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » got cinnamon? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: got cinnamon?
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
what is impossible about it?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's a daft thing to try - fines, ultra-small particles, of cinnamon are very likely to cause the eater to choke or cough as they catch the back of the throat or enter the osophagus, but the same could be said of a spoonful of any fine powder.

If you were careful you could swallow the powder - if you were smart you'd mix it to a paste and wash it down with water - depending on how badly you want to eat cinnamon [Wink]

Watch these idiots try it...takes a few seconds to load.

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/cinamon.html

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Was anybody else really distracted by the guy in the video dancing about? All i could think was that he should have gone for a pee before they made the video.
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
If you were careful you could swallow the powder - if you were smart you'd mix it to a paste and wash it down with water - depending on how badly you want to eat cinnamon [Wink]

Cinnamon becomes a mucilage when mixed with water, not a paste. Stir it into a glass and you'll have yourself a big ol' glass of water with cinnamon-flavored snot floating on the surface. Now that's disgusting.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Why would you want to mix it with water when you can blend it with butter & sugar and spread it on toast?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Or when you can mix it in with crumb topping and have an apple crisp?

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Happy Horse Chestnut:
I myself have eaten a teaspoon of cinnamon on numerous occasions, since it is recommended herbal treatment for controlling blood sugar. (Usually I add it to coffee when it is brewing).

^ Yes, very true--my FIL has noticed huge effects in his blood sugar by consuming cinnamon. I will tell him about putting it in his coffee as well, since he can't drink regular soda anymore, and has resorted to the morning cup o' joe to get caffeine.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
well, okay ...I'm feeling really gullible, but... I've mixed 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of cinnamon into my cereal for the last two mornings.

Probably coincidence, but...we've been fighting colds for weeks, Lil Miss has a scary fever-vomiting-coughing flu ....and I'm feeling better than I have in weeks - I'm exhausted, but uncongested, and generally feeling okay [touch wood, specifically cinnamon bark]

So, I'll keep it up for a while, I think.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: If you were to eat a spoon full of cinnamon would i really die of
loss of breath?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I did. Did you?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Cinnamon and many other taste powders aren't good to try by it's substance alone really. There is a chance of making you sick from it but it's not toxic as a standalone product.

There is a chance it can build up along the way down to your stomach and ends up getting stuck on the tracts or even into your lungs because it wasn't dilluted properly.

I've tried to ingest "Crystal Light Sugar Free On The Go mix" once which your supposed to put in a 20 ounce bottle of water really. Left my mouth soured and colored teeth for a couple hours. It also made me very sick with diarehha too.

However some powders are made for ingestion such as WONKA's sugar canes where you suck it in your mouth and swallow leaving a sweet taste, but it can make you sick from overeating.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
'taste powders' ?

You mean 'spices'? [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I tried a spoonful of cinnamon recently...and it's not something I'd want to repeat on a daily basis. I also tried adding it to filter coffee but it turned to what looked like a brown snot topping. I'm getting along fine with cinnamon capsules now.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Put the cinnamon in the filter with the coffe while it's brewing. Much easier.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks Gayle I'll give it a go.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 202 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Nope, nope, nope. If you put the cinnamon in the filter with the coffee, that cinnamon-turns-to-snot thing can still happen, only this time it clogs the filter, causing coffee to leak out over everything. Trust me, I've had this happen.

What works best for me is this - I use Spice Islands Saigon Cinnamon - it's got the best flavor of any of them I've tried, and I've tried pretty much all of them.

I dump about a tablespoon of cinnamon into the bottom of the pot prior to brewing. It doesn't turn my coffee to sludge, gives it a delicious flavor, and while the dregs of the cup might be a little...chewy, what the hell, it's worth it to get that yummy cinnamon coffee.

Giant food stores used to sell their own brand of cinnamon coffee, I think it was called "Viennese Cinnamon" and it was fabulous. But they stopped selling it, and now all they have is that crappy cinnamon-hazlenut stuff that tastes like silt.

Ali "cinnamon is my middle name...but I'm thinking of changing it to my first" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

I've been stirring it into my porridge. But then, I like crud in my goop - it also has linseed, cranberries, crystallised ginger.... and it's GOOoooOOOOD

--------------------

RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think to gain the diabetes benefits you need the plain old ground pure cinnamon. I stir a small amount in each cup of coffee.

RD

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One thing of note here: The principal compound in cinnamon that gives most of the benefits mentioned above is 'eugenol', or 'clove oil'. This compound is not present in cassia, which is a very close relative of cinnamon, and is more than likely what everyone here has in their spice rack.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Fresh [grindable] cinnamon stick-like things, too?

--------------------

kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yes, those too. True Cinnamon sticks are very thin and crumble easily. Here's a good link. There are links at the bottom of the page where you can read about and order true 'Ceylon' Cinnamon. The company, Penzey's Spices, is very highly recommended.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 05 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
I'm getting along fine with cinnamon capsules now.

Can you get those at GNC?

This is off the topic of cinnimon, but still spices. Has anyone else been carded when buying whole cloves recently? I haven't been carded for a drink in 25 years, but got carded at WalMart the other day when I was buying cloves for spiced pears.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

I've no idea what GNC is tinbobmc so Im afarid I can't help you there. I get mine in my local health food shop.
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
GNC stands for "General Nutrition Centers, Inc." It is a popular health food, vitamin and supplement franchise in The States. Pretty much every shopping mall has one. Their website is www.gnc.com.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Happy Horse Chestnut:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

Cinnamon becomes a mucilage when mixed with water, not a paste. Stir it into a glass and you'll have yourself a big ol' glass of water with cinnamon-flavored snot floating on the surface. Now that's disgusting.
Oh good point... That IS true. I know because I tried mixing cinnamon with water once to make a cinnamon-scented spray...don't ask...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Why on earth would they ask for ID when buying cloves?

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dances With Naked Mole Rats
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Dances With Naked Mole Rats   E-mail Dances With Naked Mole Rats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You can get the eugenol effects from chewing cloves as well. Just chew one lightly on the stem part for a little while- and it makes your breath nice and fresh too!
Posts: 56 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LuvDMB
Tefellin Groovy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvDMB     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have a diabetic cat and I test her blood sugar twice a day before her insulin injections. I have found that if I sprinkle cinnamon on her food regularly, there is a 10-20 point drop in her blood sugar levels.
Heather

Posts: 21 | From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
GNC sells natural vitamins, protein drinks, health stuff. I buy colostrum capsules there since I teach K-4 and have to ward off the "cold du jour".

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I found cinnamon capsules today at Vitamin World. They also have cinnamon with chromium.

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sirhcus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Why not just add cinamon to your apples, biscuits, cocoa? Why waste the taste by encapsulating it?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

While I like the taste of cinnamon I don't fancy it every day. I've been taking the capsules for a couple of weeks now and the only difference I've noted is that I don't seem to crave sweet things as much as I usually do. No idea if there is a link. Has anyone else who takes cinnamon noticed this?
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Phaedra I would attridute the lessening of craving sweets to the effects of cinnamon on lowering blood sugar, however slight.

RangerDog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by strange_little_girl:
Why on earth would they ask for ID when buying cloves?

They once asked my sister and I for ID when we tried to buy Grenadine at Jewel... If you don't know, Grenadine is a cherry-ish sweet syrup--like the stuff they package maraschino cherries in. We thought this was ridiculous! It is not an alcoholic substance or anything! Sure, it's used for mixed drinks but that's like carding people for buying pimento olives or something! The funny thing was, we wanted the Grenadine to make kiddie cocktails !
Plus, my sister was about 25 at the time, but didn't have an ID with her. Luckily we had spotted my brother and his friend in the store (weird coincidence) and so we called them over to the register and asked if they could pay for it since they had ID. [Big Grin]

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Indefatigable
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indefatigable     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: If you were to eat a spoon full of cinnamon would i really die of
loss of breath?

I tried dumping a big spoon of cinnamon on a pancake once when I was little. It tasted like so much dust, and I gagged and sneezed for a while. Cinnamon won't poison you, but don't breathe it in.

I think every time you eat a cinnamon bun, you're eating at least a tablespoon of cinnamon.

Posts: 49 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages