snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Why does kool-aid turn feces green? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why does kool-aid turn feces green?
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 06 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've heard from several people that kool-aid makes your poop turn green. Seriously.

One ex-friend of mine would constantly menton that grape kool-aid made his poop green, and another friend said that fruit punch kool-aid had the same effect.

These two don't know each other.
I'm really curious as to WHAT, in that sugar drink, makes feces turn (bright) green.

[Confused]

p.s. sorry if this is gross. o_o;;; it's a food question... again, sorry, and i'm sorry if this doesn't belong here x.X

[ 26. May 2005, 08:13 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I'm really curious as to WHAT, in that sugar drink, makes feces turn (bright) green.
Food coloring.

Pooping in the colors of the rainbow

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
o.o
...but that says "green food dye" in large amounts...
grape kool-aid (which is purple) must not have much green in it...?

even the magically clear and strawberry-kiwi-flavoured kool-aid turns poop bright green. where's the colouring in that?

--------------------

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
grape kool-aid (which is purple) must not have much green in it...?
Food coloring doesn't necessarily come out of you the same color it went in. Certain food dyes, such as Blue #5, react with bile when metabolized and turn green.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I used to be poor. I mean really poor, so poor in fact, that it could have been pronounced po'.

So needless to say I drank tons of kool-aid, as it is really cheap and tastes better than plain old tap-water.

I never pooped green from drinking kool-aid. I'm pretty sure that something else is turning your friends' poo colors. I have pooped green before, but I was usually sick at the time and I haven't drank kool-aid since I stopped being poor.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't know about kool-aid but I know that purple snow cones and "Cookies and Green" milk turns my kid's feces bright green. In fact I think that's the only reason the boy drinks the stuff.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remembered some article on WebMD or elsewhere that feces not a natural color means you have a problem with yourself. Either colon or kidney failure.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One day about three years ago, my then 4 year old got into the fridge and found a bottle of beets. After eating the whole thing (about the equivalency of 2 medium sized beets) we discovered her with her purple face.

Next day we heard her screaming. Her poop was purple as well. Not the exact colour of beets, but almost an indigo.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Our dark-blue wedding cake frosting produced avocado-colored results.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 06 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
But I've seen instances where the clear kool-aid turned poop green. Bright green. Fluorescent green.
And the drink was clear!

[Confused]

Must be something else in it, then. In that instance, with the clear kool-aid, I refuse to believe that dye had anything to do with it.

--------------------

Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My kid drinks the crap out of kool-aid and his poop is brown.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FaithHopeLOVE
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 206 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chickee Daizy:
My kid drinks the crap out of kool-aid and his poop is brown.

I don't know whether your phrasing was intentional, but it came out pretty funny. [Big Grin]

Faith "this too shall pass" Love

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Liza
What's My Lime?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liza         Edit/Delete post 
Blue Powerade does the same thing to some people.

--------------------
You come into this world screaming, naked, and covered with blood. With any luck, things get better.

Posts: 122 | From: BFE, Florida | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 08 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I don't know about kool-aid but I know that purple snow cones and "Cookies and Green" milk turns my kid's feces bright green. In fact I think that's the only reason the boy drinks the stuff.

He is a boy after my own heart!

I remember about 10 years ago there was a brand of soda that came out with very edgy titles to its line. One soda in particular was touted to turn your shit(yes they used cuss words on their labels)blue! I can't remember the name of this brand so perhaps somebody might know. It was only available from novelty mail order catalogs and record shops.

The"yep it worked"Bobo

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oni
Noah's Lark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oni   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
He is a boy after my own heart!

I remember about 10 years ago there was a brand of soda that came out with very edgy titles to its line. One soda in particular was touted to turn your shit(yes they used cuss words on their labels)blue! I can't remember the name of this brand so perhaps somebody might know. It was only available from novelty mail order catalogs and record shops.

The"yep it worked"Bobo

I think you're talking about Motley Brue.
http://www.popsoda.com/motleybrue.html
I remember seeing it in an old Spin magazine and claimed to turn your poop blue.

--------------------
"Oh! Look at Godzilla go! I'll tell ya, there's no seafood lover in him!"

-Tom Servo, "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster"

Posts: 75 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That is not it. I believe the bottle had a picture of skull on the lable.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post 
My cousins's 5th birthday in 1981 had the family enjoying an R2-D2 cake with loads of blue icing. The next day, everyone was relating stories about how their poop had turned blue. And not brown poop with a tinge of blue, but smurf blue poop...

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I gave my baby infant Tylenal and his poop turned out green.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm a sucker for red velvet cake, and recently discovered the snack food of the gods: Bingles.

Think Twinkie but with redcake instead of yellow and a cream-cheesey filling instead of non-dairyish; made by Bluebird; tough to find (they might be Spring seasonal).

And they have a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced shelf-life due to the creme filling... I experienced this first hand.... Mmmmm... Rancidy.

Anyhoo, Bingles and red cakes in general tend to send the color right through me. I don't so much notice with other food colorings, unless it's profound, like that purple "juice drink" you can buy in a gallon jug at the grocery, but it's really the Reds that noticably take the fastlane to my septic tank.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, when my kid drinks Sunny Delight, and it doesn't matter if it's the orangy junk or the grapey junk, it turns her poop bright green.

And she's perfectly healthy, too.

Apparently, her body produces green poop when reacting to certain dyes.

Of course, that was several years ago, when she was very small and I still SAW her poop....I dunno if it has the same effect now, and I know that I'd get a resounding, "Mo-ther!" from her if I asked.

Of course.....when I eat buttercream frosting with blue dye, I swear I produce Smurf blue poo.

Ms. Kickin' It "and of course, poop rolls downhill and gains speed as it goes" Across The World

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Green apple Jell-o turned my poo bright green-- bright enough that I said out loud, "What the hell?" when I noticed it.

Oh, the things I tell you people. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
BooBerry cereal and blue soda turn my poop and that of my son BRIGHT, practically fluorescent, green. Every time. Other things that have turned us bright green are blue kool-aid and some fake grape drinks. But with BooBerry, even a bowl would do it - sometimes you'd get half a stool in dayglo green and half brown lol.

Pepperoncini, little pickled, bright green peppers, turn my poop bright bright yellow.

Pepto Bismol comes out black.

Now I realize this is TMI but it's that kind of subject [Big Grin]

RobotHero
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 19 posted      Profile for RobotHero   E-mail RobotHero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Are you thinking of Blue Brainwash?
Posts: 4 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seanette
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seanette   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seanette   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
I'm a sucker for red velvet cake, and recently discovered the snack food of the gods: Bingles.

Think Twinkie but with redcake instead of yellow and a cream-cheesey filling instead of non-dairyish; made by Bluebird; tough to find (they might be Spring seasonal).

Oooh, those sound good. Must try to remember to hunt them down next spring.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RobotHero:
quote:

Are you thinking of Blue Brainwash?
That's the one! Thanks!!

--------------------

qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Just taking daily vitamins and eating more fruit and I turned into a crayola factory. No dyes in any of that.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remember my collage days and living poor. I would quite often just buy a large sack of potatos and eat a few of them a day. It was not long and my poop was green.

Poop was one of the first word my wife learned in english. Since in her native language of Thai the word for "poop" is "poot".

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've noticed that US drinks have far more colouring than in the UK. Wonder if it's due to stricter health regulations here or if we just prefer stuff to look more natural. US Orange soda practially glows in the dark the colours are so unnatural
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mooommmeee
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooommmeee   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mooommmeee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shades of Pale:
But with BooBerry, even a bowl would do it - sometimes you'd get half a stool in dayglo green and half brown lol.

LOL! Those are always entertaining diapers to change.

A couple of years ago, Hershey's came out with a chocolate syrup that was a really foul color green as a tie-in with the Hulk movie. Absolutely disgusting stuff, and it made the kids' poo all kinds of nasty colors!

But I do think that it has to do with the person how easily their poop changes color. My oldest rarely sees much other than brown, but my fourth has a wide spectrum of color in his diapers and it doesn't seem to take much of a given substance to cause the change.

~Mooommmeee

--------------------
I mostly dine on the idea of health that is absorbed into my body through the consciousness of the universe. Or Fat Burger if I'm in a hurry. ~The Ninja

My Blog

Posts: 1182 | From: WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yellow Play-do has a most effective result on poo colour - a sort of glowing very light grren with tan highlights. Scared the hell out of me when changing the boy wonder's nappy.

(We only figured it out a day later when the yellow play-do tub was found empty)

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
I've noticed that US drinks have far more colouring than in the UK. Wonder if it's due to stricter health regulations here or if we just prefer stuff to look more natural. US Orange soda practially glows in the dark the colours are so unnatural

I don't think Tizer looks all that natural [Wink]

--Ouch (who loves Tizer and prawn flavoured crips) My Ankle

DawnStorm

Icon 504 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
All I know about Kool Aid is that it will make you piss like there's no tomorrow.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by inkiemouse:
But I've seen instances where the clear kool-aid turned poop green. Bright green. Fluorescent green.
And the drink was clear!

[Confused]

Must be something else in it, then. In that instance, with the clear kool-aid, I refuse to believe that dye had anything to do with it.

Hmmm... you've gone from just hearing about this phenom from friends to seeing it for yourself. Interesting.

And in these instances who's poop are you looking at anyway?

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Alert~TMI Aler~TMI Alert~

*Hope that's enough space [Big Grin] *

When Cheetos came out with their Shrek promotion cheese-curls-which-turn-green-in-your-mouth about a year ago, I found that they also turned my #2 an interesting shade of green.

smitty"I'm sure you're glad I shared that"kins

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dark blue or black frosting had the same effect on everyone I knew who ate the frosting on a birthday cake once.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages